Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

CronoGamer posted:

Burger Madness is a widely unknown but strong challenger to the Chicken Madness in my book. I spent four years there and I don't think I ever bothered ordering something besides Chicken or Burger Madnesses.
You monster. Every opportunity to order a Martha's Wrap wasted, stolen from yourself like a precious jewel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Tweek posted:

While we're on the subject, have you tried their Smoked Old Fashioned? They set a God-damned plank of ceder on fire and invert your glass over it, getting all that smoky goodness up inside there. Then they add Old Overholt Rye, Fee Brother’s Old Fashioned Bitters, and simple syrup.

Had that a few weeks back, and had the Kill Bill Vol 2 last night. So good.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Had that a few weeks back, and had the Kill Bill Vol 2 last night. So good.

Word. Do you remember what last night's punch was? Those are always creative and always fun to hear about.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Tweek posted:

While we're on the subject, have you tried their Smoked Old Fashioned? They set a God-damned plank of ceder on fire and invert your glass over it, getting all that smoky goodness up inside there. Then they add Old Overholt Rye, Fee Brother’s Old Fashioned Bitters, and simple syrup.

I think I need this. Why must the place be so far from everywhere else I normally go (alternatively, perfectly placed to drop by Meridian Pint and double-up on being a lush).

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Eamonn's on Colombia Pike does the same thing with smoked cedar planks and Old Crow bourbon. I can't remember what else is in it but I think they call it a Wagon Wheel.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
http://www.mokomandy.com/

Mokomandy in Sterling is fuckin great.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I stopped by the Petworth Citizen last night and had both the Kill Bill Vol 2 and the Smoked Old Fashioned and they're both pretty yummy.

Taking the lady to drinks at Barmini on Sat night. Hopefully they'll not be out of pineapple juice so I can order their Zombie cocktail.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

pr0k posted:

http://www.mokomandy.com/

Mokomandy in Sterling is fuckin great.

I've enjoyed the hell out of every meal I've eaten there, but my dad got really terrible food poisoning from the shrimp and grits last time so I'm not sure he'll ever want to go back :( It was our go-to birthday dinner place for my sister, since she lives right down the street.

Their carpaccio is fabulous.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tweek posted:

Someone better slap me if next time I'm in that neighborhood I don't stop by just to try that. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Someone better slap me if next time I'm in that neighborhood I don't stop by just to try that. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Geez, with all this Petworth love, I'm almost tempted to say, "Goonmeet".

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
:hfive: I'm always down.

I thought I'd seen you post in at least one (both?) of the DC regional threads. Have you been out with us before, perhaps at trivia or one of the meetups in the last year or two?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

No, I'd been busy working most of the time up until recently. I haven't had the chance to attend any meet-ups.

I only have so much time as of late because I'm taking about a year off work while I deal with some things.

I'd definitely like to take advantage of my time off before I go back to work around June. I'll get back to you sometime after Saturday, and I'll ask my friend who manages there if anything cool is going down.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Tweek posted:

I recommend Petworth Citizen a few blocks from the Georgia Avenue metro stop. Great little out-of-the-way place with a very talented Chef.

Here's their brunch menu.

The GRILLED STEAK CUT BACON is delicious with how the sweetly-sour tomato sauce places with and off of the richness of the avocado and creaminess of the egg yolk. The bacon however, while delicious, does not fall under my personal definition of "steak-cut". I think of steak-cut as 3/4" minimum and this is more 1/4".

I have yet to try it, but a good friend of mine won't shut up about how good the CHICKEN & WAFFLE is, either.

Still, everything is fantastic, their drink list is amazing and their coffee is cold-brewed. The atmosphere is perfectly charming and the staff is the friendliest you will find.

My best friend is the bar manager. Red head. This woman knows her loving way around a libation, so if she recommends a cocktail make drat sure you order it. If you see her (it's a small space, so you will) tell her Tweek sent you and that she says 'hi'.

There are booths, but I recommend you sit at the bar.

I'd second that recommendation. I've only been once (right before that ridiculous review came out), and I absolutely loved it. Everything is good. edit: well, that's what I get for replying before reading the rest of the thread.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Tweek posted:

She makes it on the days she's there. It's generally made by whoever gets there at 4 o'clock, but all the people who work under her are all very talented and she encourages them to be creative.

From the whiskey thread:

All around decent mid-range ingredients that don't risk over-powering the ceder smoke. I don't know how familiar you are with the way citrus notes play with and off of smoke, but it's quite well, as you can imagine.

Another friend of mine (who exclusively orders Manhattans and Old Fashions at bars) Won't stop raving about this particular cocktail, so I can highly recommend it. Besides, loving FIRE!

I mean, I would personally be more likely to order the Jack Rose (Laird’s apple brandy, lime juice, grenadine), but then I'm a little fruit like that. ;-*

Just tried the smoked old fashioned. So good. Wife had the Jack Rose a bit sour for my taste but she liked it. 10/10 would drink again.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I know it's a bit of a ways outside DC, but does anyone know of anything worth eating in the Columbia area? I'm going to be stopping over there soon and I'm hoping I won't have to drive too far for decent food, but it looks kinda chain-heavy.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You monster. Every opportunity to order a Martha's Wrap wasted, stolen from yourself like a precious jewel.

You have led me astray, Kotex. I had to run by the university today so I swung past Wisey's to try the acclaimed Martha's Wrap.

At any other sandwich shop I'd consider it a worthy addition, but it just can't stand up to the Chicken Madness. And it doesn't even come with the free pickle! A different class of sandwich altogether.

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004

Soricidus posted:

I know it's a bit of a ways outside DC, but does anyone know of anything worth eating in the Columbia area? I'm going to be stopping over there soon and I'm hoping I won't have to drive too far for decent food, but it looks kinda chain-heavy.

This is in Sykesville, not Columbia, but I enjoyed my visit there. http://www.baldwinsstation.com/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

Sushi King is in my Top 3 Sushi places I've ever eaten (including this area, SF bay, LA)
House of India is pretty decent for Indian
Maiwand Kabobs are all over and their location off 175 and Snowden is good for a light dinner or take out.
Gianni's has excellent New York slices / pies (get the Godfather if you like a loaded pie). Although not exactly Columbia, it's close enough to drive.
Victoria's is ok if you want to impress a date, but its food is hit or miss.

rumspringa57
May 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

My favorite restaurant in the area is Cuba De Ayer (http://www.cubadeayerrestaurant.net/) in Burtonsville on 198.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
*crossposting this from the regional thread*

Does anyone have any recommendations for casual dining in tysons corner (thinking dinner)? My boss asked me for a recommendation but I am unfamiliar with that area....

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Everything I know about Tyson's is ten years old. Probably useless. Mr. Smith's is gone.

Local chains and whatnot:
Clyde's - local chain, everything is good but not exceptional. Upscale american casual.
PF Chang's - chain, pretty good upscale chinese american. Only good szechuan beef I've had in the last 20 years.
There's a Ruth's Chris, which I've never tried but is s'posed to be good.
There's a Smashburger, ditto.
Sweetwater, a couple miles south, good brewpub, local chain, really good execution. I actually worked for the one of fledgling first restaurants of this chain in the 80's, Fritzbee's. Good bar scene at the location out my way, never been to that location at dinnertime. Good apps, salads, and steaks. Don't bother with the ribs.

Good food to be found nearby though if you don't mind driving a few miles east to falls church. There's an incredible Vietnamtown in Seven Corners, called Eden Center. It's just a stripmall with the best Vietnamese food for hundreds of miles. There's good Indian at Haandi, just across the Falls Church line on 7. Washingtonian best 100 forever. Also there's an actual Penzey's store in the middle of F.C. There's a decent irish pub or two around there. Can't think of more without specifics.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

pr0k posted:

Everything I know about Tyson's is ten years old. Probably useless. Mr. Smith's is gone.

Local chains and whatnot:
Clyde's - local chain, everything is good but not exceptional. Upscale american casual.
PF Chang's - chain, pretty good upscale chinese american. Only good szechuan beef I've had in the last 20 years.
There's a Ruth's Chris, which I've never tried but is s'posed to be good.
There's a Smashburger, ditto.
Sweetwater, a couple miles south, good brewpub, local chain, really good execution. I actually worked for the one of fledgling first restaurants of this chain in the 80's, Fritzbee's. Good bar scene at the location out my way, never been to that location at dinnertime. Good apps, salads, and steaks. Don't bother with the ribs.

Good food to be found nearby though if you don't mind driving a few miles east to falls church. There's an incredible Vietnamtown in Seven Corners, called Eden Center. It's just a stripmall with the best Vietnamese food for hundreds of miles. There's good Indian at Haandi, just across the Falls Church line on 7. Washingtonian best 100 forever. Also there's an actual Penzey's store in the middle of F.C. There's a decent irish pub or two around there. Can't think of more without specifics.

Thanks pr0k, these are some great ideas, Ill pass them along. I wish I was around tyson's more often, but Im on the other side of the beltway and it is a bear to get there on a regular basis...By the way, 7 corners is on my "forever want to go to but havent had the chance" list since I adore vietnamese food.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Maple Ave is really good too. Its in Vienna but only 10 minutes down 123 from Tysons.

Wildfire in the Galleria is pretty badass too for a chain restaurant.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Oh yeah, if you head down 123 there's an Anita's on the left. Good tex-mex, local chain, a personal favorite. Get something that involves their red chile pork, carne adovada. Yum.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

*crossposting this from the regional thread*

Does anyone have any recommendations for casual dining in tysons corner (thinking dinner)? My boss asked me for a recommendation but I am unfamiliar with that area....

YES! FINALLY A QUESTION I CAN ANSWER!

I work in Tyson's, right next to Tyson's Corner Center.

In Tyson's Corner Center:
La Sandia- yeah it's a chain but it's always really good

In Tyson's Galleria:
Maggiano's Little Italy
Wildfire

Corner of 123 and International:
Da Domenico Ristorante
- decor is old and dated but the food is outstandingly Italian.

On route 7:
Nostos (Greek)

It's totally worth driving an extra 7 minutes to Vienna for food. Notable Vienna food:
Rose Kabob (Afghan)
Lotus Garden (Chinese, hand pulled noodle bowls are the ONLY thing you should order here)
Plaka Grill (greek/gyros- super casual but everything on the menu is goooooooood)

I'm sure there's way more than that, but those are places that I have eaten at and enjoyed and wouldn't hesitate to go back to again.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Seconding Lotus Garden and those loving noodles.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

YES! FINALLY A QUESTION I CAN ANSWER!

I work in Tyson's, right next to Tyson's Corner Center.

In Tyson's Corner Center:
La Sandia- yeah it's a chain but it's always really good

In Tyson's Galleria:
Maggiano's Little Italy
Wildfire

Corner of 123 and International:
Da Domenico Ristorante
- decor is old and dated but the food is outstandingly Italian.

On route 7:
Nostos (Greek)

It's totally worth driving an extra 7 minutes to Vienna for food. Notable Vienna food:
Rose Kabob (Afghan)
Lotus Garden (Chinese, hand pulled noodle bowls are the ONLY thing you should order here)
Plaka Grill (greek/gyros- super casual but everything on the menu is goooooooood)

I'm sure there's way more than that, but those are places that I have eaten at and enjoyed and wouldn't hesitate to go back to again.

My dad worked over off 7 and the beltway for 25 years and spoke highly of Da Domenico a few times. I didn't know that was the name of the place, but I've seen it from the road. Got a bunch of stars to add to my google maps...god I love noodles. Thanks again everyone, I knew I could count on you guys to know of some decent eats.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Time has passed Da Dominico by. It's an anachronism. They are guilty of doing caprice salads with crap tomatoes out of season. But the food was otherwise pretty good last time I went and the atmosphere was straight out of Godfather 2. A cool place to visit, but not really a destination.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

pr0k posted:

Time has passed Da Dominico by. It's an anachronism. They are guilty of doing caprice salads with crap tomatoes out of season. But the food was otherwise pretty good last time I went and the atmosphere was straight out of Godfather 2. A cool place to visit, but not really a destination.

Yeah I mean, I wouldn't take a first date there or anything, but it's an experience and the food is pretty damned good. Plus it's a local joint and not a chain, which is rare around here, so I'm happy to give them my money.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Soricidus posted:

I enjoyed Victoria's. Love the duck fat fries.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what are your favorite pizza places in DC? I know Menomale is a classier place (Brookland), but I'm awfully partial to my neighborhood join, Bacio's (Bloomingdale).

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

As far as neopolitan pizza goes, let me be the first to say Pupatella. It's not quite in DC but it's the best pizza I've had in the area. If you go, before you try anything else get the margherita DOC. The DOC means the Italian government approves that it is an authentic margherita pizza which is pretty badass. It's made with buffalo mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes and cooked in an oven made with stones from Mount Vesuvius

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
2 Amy's is pretty popular. Its in NW, near the cathedral. They too have the DOC margherita. You have to wait last time I went, no reservations taken.

Mad_Hatter
Oct 31, 2000
I wasted 10 bucks
P.S. I love Phat_Albert
There's also Etto at 14th & Q NW. It's the same owner as 2 Amy's and while they don't have the official DOC oven, they put out a great neapolitan style pizza. Just up the street is Ghibellina, and while their focus isn't on pizza I understand they do a good job.

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

Me and my fiance are headed to D.C. this week for spring break, but she has to eat gluten free. Anyone know of some pizza places with gluten-free crust or other gluten-free known places?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Yeah, there are a lot of places that offer gluten free pizza. I can't speak to the quality of it though. There's a list at the bottom of that link.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey, has anything good opened in Old Town Alexandria in the past year and a half?

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

the_chavi posted:

So what are your favorite pizza places in DC? I know Menomale is a classier place (Brookland), but I'm awfully partial to my neighborhood join, Bacio's (Bloomingdale).

The best pizza joint in DC is WiseGuys on 300 Mass Ave. It's the best pizza I've had outside of NY. It folds into a perfect diamond shape and man it's just great. It's 3 bucks a slice and they serve killer garlic knots. All DC pizza joints bow before WiseGuys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Yay pizza chat.

I am still a huge fan of Pizzaria Paradiso (I've only been to the dupont and gtown locations) although more trendy places have been coming around. They make a delicious pie, simple and straightforward; my favorite is probably the de mare with mussels on it. Also, the roasted head of elephant garlic is to DIE for + beer selection is top notch. Maybe it is the sum of all it's parts that makes me love that place so much...

Fitzy77 posted:

Me and my fiance are headed to D.C. this week for spring break, but she has to eat gluten free. Anyone know of some pizza places with gluten-free crust or other gluten-free known places?

Paradiso does gluten free crust. Its prepared in the same kitchen as regular crusts, so its not "perfectly" wheat free. Im not sure what your sensitivity level is, you can always ask them about it. I have eaten one of their GF crusts and I think its pretty drat good.

• Locked thread