Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Deegan posted:

I've been using this OP and thread for my job hunt and it has helped me refine my interview skills a great deal.

I've interviewed recently with a company that I have been looking at for a while. They have a posting listed on their site, but are not actively advertising the position. (No Monster, Indeed, etc)

I think I surprised them by showing interest in their posting. They've been asking a bunch of questions about what type of position I want. They are looking to develop/grow the area I'd be joining and they even mentioned me being the department lead. They asked my income requirements and I did my best trying to toss it back in their court. I finally realized that simply didn't have a clue about the position they are creating and what to pay the person who fills it.

I've given them the amount I wanted to make, and they asked me if that was pre or post overtime. I told them that without knowing the offer package, I couldn't narrow things down further.

The last two positions that I've pursued have had the same problem: They want me to define and create the position myself. I feel a little out of my depth when they ask me to do this. So far, the projects my new position depends on have fallen through and the position hasn't been created. (And I've not been hired)

I've continued to toss the ball back in their court, each time, trying to impress on them that they need to decide and make me an offer. I keep getting back offers of moonlighting, freelance or questions about what I want my role, in their company, to be. Am I missing something or an opportunity or do they just need to figure out what they want?
You should really be helping to define the role and figure out what they want. I don't even know what industry/field this is, but I can surmise that if the company doesn't know much about what the position is supposed to do, the company is breaking new ground in that area, and the executive leadership doesn't really know much about where to start. In that case, you can't expect a lot of direction. What the company will be looking for in these cases is someone who can align the position with the requirements of the business and be self-directed. What you should be doing is talking to them about the problems they're trying to solve by creating this position, and go into how you would solve those problems. They're hiring someone to solve those problems, not do specific duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008

Misogynist posted:

You should really be helping to define the role and figure out what they want. I don't even know what industry/field this is, but I can surmise that if the company doesn't know much about what the position is supposed to do, the company is breaking new ground in that area, and the executive leadership doesn't really know much about where to start. In that case, you can't expect a lot of direction. What the company will be looking for in these cases is someone who can align the position with the requirements of the business and be self-directed. What you should be doing is talking to them about the problems they're trying to solve by creating this position, and go into how you would solve those problems. They're hiring someone to solve those problems, not do specific duties.

This is good advice giving the situations I've been encountering. I've been a little surprised that they have a employment posting with specific requirements and so little understanding of what they want. They must be tossing a bunch of skill requirements against the wall and see which ones stick. I'm moving from a company with zero direction and no business plan, so my first reaction is: Crap...not again.

I think my next step should be to brainstorm a plan to present at my next interview.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What is the suggested etiquette of asking for a job offer in writing when getting a call back from an employer? I've heard it's a bad sign if they refuse, but I don't know if that's accurate, especially in a more worker-abusing-marketplace in a poor economy. I want to get out of my dungeon, but I also don't want to end up jobless. (Just for the record: I don't actually have a job offer right now, I'm just asking so I know the lay of the land if and when one arrives.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

What is the suggested etiquette of asking for a job offer in writing when getting a call back from an employer? I've heard it's a bad sign if they refuse, but I don't know if that's accurate, especially in a more worker-abusing-marketplace in a poor economy. I want to get out of my dungeon, but I also don't want to end up jobless. (Just for the record: I don't actually have a job offer right now, I'm just asking so I know the lay of the land if and when one arrives.)
Everyone will give you a written job offer. Verbal job offers are typically contingent offers extended before the company runs a full background check, because these checks are expensive and nobody wants to run them on candidates who aren't going to accept the offered package anyway.

Typical protocol is to accept the verbal job offer, but not give notice to your current employer until you've received and signed the written letter. If you have concerns, (politely) make it clear that your employer does not receive notice until you sign an offer letter.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I had an interview today (still need to send follow up thank-you emails), but I think I may have messed up salary negotiations already (since I've never done it before). During my phone interview last week I gave a pretty broad, like 10k broad, range which I know the pay would have fallen between, but I am hoping to get the higher end of the range if offered the position. Did I screw up my chances for any leverage assuming they extend an offer? Kind of bummed because its a salary position, but I think there might be a chance for some commission based on client churn etc.

First interviewer was pretty tough and brief, I feel like he wasn't impressed by anything I said but apparently he's like that - I have a friend who referred me who gave me the scoop on him. The 2nd guy I basically shot the poo poo with for about an hour and he said a lot of really positive things comparing me to other candidates etc. So apparently he liked me a lot. I know from when I interviewed people that you're not supposed to do that because it obviously gives candidates a false sense of hope if they go in another direction so I guess we'll see what happens.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

razz posted:

I want to relocate so I pretty much exclusively apply to jobs in different states. I don't think it's been a hindrance at all, what with Skype interviews becoming popular and acceptable and whatnot. It's more likely that you're not being considered because you are applying to jobs 3 months before you can start.

You're probably right. I'll start worrying closer to graduation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Lung posted:

I had an interview today (still need to send follow up thank-you emails), but I think I may have messed up salary negotiations already (since I've never done it before). During my phone interview last week I gave a pretty broad, like 10k broad, range which I know the pay would have fallen between, but I am hoping to get the higher end of the range if offered the position. Did I screw up my chances for any leverage assuming they extend an offer? Kind of bummed because its a salary position, but I think there might be a chance for some commission based on client churn etc.

Yeah, that does significantly lowers the chances of getting something on the high end of the scale, unfortunately. Not all employers will completely low-ball you, especially if they have a standard range in mind for that position, but arguing for more would be quite tricky if you already explicitly told them getting x-$10k would be acceptable. Not that it works in the opposite direction, for my first real job I also caved in and provided a range, but overshot it and got offered below my low-end.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, that does significantly lowers the chances of getting something on the high end of the scale, unfortunately. Not all employers will completely low-ball you, especially if they have a standard range in mind for that position, but arguing for more would be quite tricky if you already explicitly told them getting x-$10k would be acceptable. Not that it works in the opposite direction, for my first real job I also caved in and provided a range, but overshot it and got offered below my low-end.

Thanks. I know they had a range in mind but it's a bit lower than I'd like, lower than my starting pay at my last big job so I was hoping for more. Think its worth asking at all if they offer or should I just go with it and ask for a raise at six months etc?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just tell them that, now that you have seen the benefit package, you believe that the higher portion of the range you discussed would be appropriate given your experience and blah blah.

Eques
Jun 11, 2001
A recruiter I was supposed to meet for an interview on Friday just mailed me to ask if I could reschedule for Thursday. Reason being that he has a funeral to attend on Friday. Would it be better to be all business and just say I'm fine with rescheduling, or do I make it a little more personal and offer my condolences, even though I've never met him and have no idea how he's connected to whoever's funeral this is?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just tell them that, now that you have seen the benefit package, you believe that the higher portion of the range you discussed would be appropriate given your experience and blah blah.

Thanks Ricola, I'll do that if the offer comes through. And eat the eggs.

And Eques, I think it's always best to be a human and offer condolences briefly and then discuss the reschedule.

Eques
Jun 11, 2001

Iron Lung posted:

And Eques, I think it's always best to be a human and offer condolences briefly and then discuss the reschedule.
This is what I was leaning towards and just did. Thanks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
ya your overthinking, just put one clause expressing sympathy then offer to reschedule for a 10% higher starting salary of course reschedule.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Misogynist posted:

Everyone will give you a written job offer. Verbal job offers are typically contingent offers extended before the company runs a full background check, because these checks are expensive and nobody wants to run them on candidates who aren't going to accept the offered package anyway.

Typical protocol is to accept the verbal job offer, but not give notice to your current employer until you've received and signed the written letter. If you have concerns, (politely) make it clear that your employer does not receive notice until you sign an offer letter.

I assume this is normally done by email now? And do you normally have to send it back to them with your signature?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I assume this is normally done by email now? And do you normally have to send it back to them with your signature?

Yes, except for some very serious high level positions (or those with an employment contract) where there may be heaps of legal paperwork to sign it's done by e-mail, and you e-mail them back confirming you accept the offer. You may or may not have to physically sign it and send it back, just depends on the company.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

prezbuluskey posted:

Jesus I just had a long interview. It was intense but I think I did well. I am going to send thank you letters but I never had a chance to get the email of the interviewers, only the recruiter. Is it weird if I find their emails online and send them one?

Yes, it's weird to hunt down their email addresses if they didn't offer them. Usually you can email the recruiter, thank them for setting the interview up, and also ask them to pass on your thanks to the team, as well.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Can i get some opinions on my new generic cover letter?

quote:

I see you’re looking for a ___, which would be an ideal position that would allow me to capitalize on both my educational and research experience. I am receiving my BSc in Chemical Engineering from Florida State University by May 2014, and I am looking to begin my professional career.

My education has developed my technical expertise to a high degree. I am able to grasp complex technical information and communicate these to others without ambiguity. I work in an extremely organized and efficient manner, and can manage and prioritize objectives effectively. I am a goal oriented team player who always puts the team first. I have collaborated with research groups and worked with teams throughout my education. I can rapidly acclimate to any team environment and quickly begin contributing to the team effort.

I believe I am a suitable candidate for the position in view of my credentials. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Xeom posted:

Can i get some opinions on my new generic cover letter?

I see you’re looking for a ___, Too informal which would be an ideal position that would allow me to capitalize on both my educational and research experience.This sentence doesn't say anything. I am will be receiving my BSc in Chemical Engineering from Florida State University byin May 2014, and I am looking to begin my professional career.

My education has developed my technical expertise to a high degree. I am able to grasp complex technical information and communicate these to others without ambiguity. I work in an extremely organized and efficient manner, and can manage and prioritize objectives effectively. I am a goal oriented team player who always puts the team first.So's everybody. I have collaborated with research groups and worked with teams throughout my education.Examples? This is the only good sentence so far, but it needs to be concretized. I can rapidly acclimate to any team environment and quickly begin contributing to the team effort.

I believe I am a suitableSuitable's kind of :smith: candidate for the position in view of my credentials.Which credentials? Why? I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.Of course you do.

This could be anyone's cover letter, you need to actually say something about your resume. Ease off on the adverbs, too.

If it were something I'd received (I'm an operation person, not a HR person, so take it with a grain of salt) I would have stopped reading after the first paragraph because you just took three lines to tell me you're about to graduate university and nothing else, and I have things to get to.

Also you're allowed to start sentences with other words than "I".

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is it a bad idea to ask for more information from a job posting before sending over my cover letter and resume? The listing (craigslist) doesn't have any specific company information on it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A few brief questions: I'm working on a resume for a career path change (hoping to move out of retail and into IT) and just completed A+ Certification, which is something that I think I should be featuring prominently so I'll probably be putting it in text in any summary of qualifications I go with, but should I include the actual logo in the resume at all? And if so, where? The logo is basically what's featured in the center of this image:

My first thought is if I include the logo at all it'd be centered under the education heading; I'd also considered putting it in the header at the very top but I'm not sure cluttering the area where my contact information goes is a good idea. I'm not wed to using the logo so if I should just forego including it for text I'm fine with that, but I'm just not sure. Searching the thread didn't reveal much on certifications and the OP doesn't touch on it too much.

e: Also how far back should I go when including related awards / recognition? I got a small scholarship for college on the basis of computer skills but that was 10 years ago now and I feel like including it is padding or reaching at best when I'd be better served leaving it out.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 13, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Mo_Steel posted:

should I include the actual logo in the resume at all?

No, that would be weird.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Thanks. I know they had a range in mind but it's a bit lower than I'd like, lower than my starting pay at my last big job so I was hoping for more. Think its worth asking at all if they offer or should I just go with it and ask for a raise at six months etc?

Read the negotiation thread. Even after stating a range you can do the dance once they make an offer.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

No, that would be weird.

Alright, thanks.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
So, this has been weighing on my mind for a day or so and I'm probably going to sound like a nut, but:

I got a call for an interview at a local university. I was kind of stunned, because unlike the other university job interview I'd just had recently, there was no phone screen, just "we saw your application, when can you come here".

So, I head down there and talk to the HR guy. "There's four candidates, including you. Three external and one internal--" (alarm bells are going off in my head) "--but don't worry, the team is willing to consider an external candidate" We talk for 30-45 minutes. He took a ton of notes, and it went waaay better than other conversations I've had with HR people (less "let me explain our benefits package until your eyes glaze over", more "tell me about yourself"/just talking about college/the college experience) He never told me anything about what the follow-up would be.

He sends me out to wait, the team comes in. There's the department chair, the person who would be my direct supervisor, and the person who's already in my job. This interview went great. We had frank discussions about issues the department was dealing with, I talked at length about my work experience and was well-prepared for all the questions (I think), and generally I felt great about how everything was going. This also ran for a LONG time compared to other interviews I've had (hour and 15 minutes - hour and a half). When I left, the department chair (who had been running the second half) never told me anything about what the follow-up would be. (Of course, I didn't realize this until I was in the car and the adrenaline had worn off)

Now, I already sent my thank-you note and everything but I keep flipping between: "They're not going to hire me, they have the internal guy and just have to put on a show that they searched for someone" (evidence: no discussion of follow-up) and "You're worrying about nothing, this was for real" (evidence: time elapsed, why would the HR guy take all those notes on someone he wouldn't hire). I still have no idea what to think.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If they call, they call. If not, move on.

You aren't crazy for wondering/worrying, but there's nothing you can do.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mike Danger posted:

So, this has been weighing on my mind for a day or so and I'm probably going to sound like a nut, but:

I got a call for an interview at a local university. I was kind of stunned, because unlike the other university job interview I'd just had recently, there was no phone screen, just "we saw your application, when can you come here".

So, I head down there and talk to the HR guy. "There's four candidates, including you. Three external and one internal--" (alarm bells are going off in my head) "--but don't worry, the team is willing to consider an external candidate" We talk for 30-45 minutes. He took a ton of notes, and it went waaay better than other conversations I've had with HR people (less "let me explain our benefits package until your eyes glaze over", more "tell me about yourself"/just talking about college/the college experience) He never told me anything about what the follow-up would be.

He sends me out to wait, the team comes in. There's the department chair, the person who would be my direct supervisor, and the person who's already in my job. This interview went great. We had frank discussions about issues the department was dealing with, I talked at length about my work experience and was well-prepared for all the questions (I think), and generally I felt great about how everything was going. This also ran for a LONG time compared to other interviews I've had (hour and 15 minutes - hour and a half). When I left, the department chair (who had been running the second half) never told me anything about what the follow-up would be. (Of course, I didn't realize this until I was in the car and the adrenaline had worn off)

Now, I already sent my thank-you note and everything but I keep flipping between: "They're not going to hire me, they have the internal guy and just have to put on a show that they searched for someone" (evidence: no discussion of follow-up) and "You're worrying about nothing, this was for real" (evidence: time elapsed, why would the HR guy take all those notes on someone he wouldn't hire). I still have no idea what to think.
You've already interviewed for the position, no point worrying about it now. For what it's worth, I've had plenty of opportunities where I've passed on internal candidates in favor of an external one because the internal pool just didn't have the skillset we were looking for.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Preface: Graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Accounting, May 2013; had to fulfill some obligations with my current employer up to the end of 2013, so now I'm looking for jobs elsewhere (because there are none at my company). Not sure it matters for this, but I have a ton of work experience in both Customer Service and Manufacturing (I'm 29).

I'm looking at the jobs page of a big Fortune 500, and they have double-digit numbers of positions I am interested in, all over the country.

How important is a well-crafted cover letter? I have a template that I adjust based on the position and specific requirements, but it is a time-consuming prospect to make one for each position - though I always do it when I have the opportunity to upload a cover letter. This system only allows someone to upload 5 files. I guess I could create a cover letter that will generally cover all the positions I want to apply for with this company, but I'm not sure if something that generic is worth it.

Options:
1). No cover letter for any position
2). Generic cover letter for all positions
3). Target 3 of the positions with a tailored cover letter, use a general one for the rest
4). Target 4 of the positions with a tailored cover letter, no cover letter for the rest

I read the first few pages and the last page of the thread, and didn't see anything that answered this question. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Don't start applying to a dozen positions in the same company (especially if it's the same position all over the country), a lot of places frown on it. Narrow down the ones you are best suited for and most interested in and go for those. If you're at a point where you have to start submitting a generic cover letter or no cover letter, then you're better off not applying to those positions.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 16, 2014

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Xandu posted:

Don't start applying to a dozen positions in the same company, a lot of places frown on it. Narrow down the ones you are best suited for and most interested in and go for those. If you're at a point where you have to start submitting a generic cover letter or no cover letter, then you're better off not applying to those positions.

I was thinking along this line as well. The only thing that made me consider applying for most of them is that they are spread out all over the country, and the company is split up into a lot of different business units, so chances are that all the applications will be going to different people anyway.

I will pick the top two or three.

Another question about these massive online forms: the work experience sections on these are the worst. I have worked for 5+ years at multiple companies, and was promoted to a bunch of different positions in them. Is it fine to simply put the company name, dates of employment, then in the summary, bullet-point the job titles, state that it was progressively responsible experience, and to please see my resume for more detail?

. . . of course, my resume has it all lumped together as well, but I break down the titles with what I did in each. (No dates or anything, though, so at a glance it looks like I was a manager for 5 years, when I really only did it for 6 months ... but I have had so many eyes on my resume, and they say it's good, so eh)

gently caress it, I'm overthinking this. If they want nitty-gritty detail they can look at my LinkedIn. The only thing I'm wondering is if I am safe to BRIEFLY summarize these long-term employment companies on the Taleo monstrosities and politely direct the reader to my attached resume for more detail?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe, there's really no way to tell, but often there's a central group that will review resumes for basic qualifications before sending them out to the hiring managers responsible for each specific position. So a sentence in your cover letter about being interested in other positions (or other areas) will help out in that case.

I completely agree about those systems (esp. Taleo); just let me send in a cover letter and resume, don't make me spend an hour filling in your stupid forms. I think your method is fine, but I don't really know. I literally just copy and paste from my resume for those sections.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Xandu posted:

Maybe, there's really no way to tell, but often there's a central group that will review resumes for basic qualifications before sending them out to the hiring managers responsible for each specific position. So a sentence in your cover letter about being interested in other positions (or other areas) will help out in that case.

I completely agree about those systems (esp. Taleo); just let me send in a cover letter and resume, don't make me spend an hour filling in your stupid forms. I think your method is fine, but I don't really know. I literally just copy and paste from my resume for those sections.

I've tried that in the past, but a lot of times the box ignores line breaks, so it's a giant blob of useless text anyway then. On the last one I tried to sneak in some HTML line break code, and it got mad at me <:mad:>

I'm now going to take this moment to be angry about positions that require a very narrow graduation date range; I'm applying for the position anyway, because it would be an amazing job (rotational development program), but it's like "Really? You're going to disqualify me because I already have a degree? It's not even a year old yet, drat."

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

With the help of this thread I was contacted by a consultancy company for a phone interview, and have been offered a job. However the job is in a different country and my spidey-senses are tingling a bit. The company seems legit but it seems too easy, and they want an answer on the package and role straight away, and it seems like a big step to give up my nice safe life in London and gently caress off to Brussels based on one phone interview.

Having said that I want out of my current job and this could be a good step into industry and international work.

Basically, help! This is all going too fast.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
After getting a BA in 2008 I jumped into a Masters program mainly out of fear, just to drop it and go backpacking with a friend. I then went to a community college to give math and science a try. After seeing how hard it was just to get into low level courses I dropped that and went to Europe and started working on organic farms for a good 3 years.

While I can definitely convert skills from a farm into those applicable in an office environment, I definitely don't want to list out 15+ farms. Does every other format other than chronological send out instant red flags? Functional seems weak, but combined seems like a good way maybe to ease up on the whole flight risk aspect. Is combined format still going to be an instant red flag?

At 28, this will be my first time trying to go for something linked to a bit more stability. Being a not so fresh graduate, should I still keep the education section on top? That plus 3 years in I/T helpdesk (as a student) are the only things keeping this mess all together!

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

moflika posted:

Does every other format other than chronological send out instant red flags? Functional seems weak, but combined seems like a good way maybe to ease up on the whole flight risk aspect. Is combined format still going to be an instant red flag?

absolutely, and absolutely. Sorry, if you're sending anything but a chronological resume you might as well write "I'm trying to hide unemployment/prison/job-hopping/whatever" on it.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

knox_harrington posted:

With the help of this thread I was contacted by a consultancy company for a phone interview, and have been offered a job. However the job is in a different country and my spidey-senses are tingling a bit. The company seems legit but it seems too easy, and they want an answer on the package and role straight away, and it seems like a big step to give up my nice safe life in London and gently caress off to Brussels based on one phone interview.

Having said that I want out of my current job and this could be a good step into industry and international work.

Basically, help! This is all going too fast.

This seems pretty strange to me. If they're that serious, I'd see if you can come check out the office (most likely not on their dime) and meet in person to further discuss the position. Seems pretty weird that they'd hire you sight unseen for a job in a different country. Or you just totally killed the phone interview and left all the other candidates in the dust!

I had a pretty decent first interview (posted about the situation a page or two ago), but I'm fairly certain I do not want this job at all after thinking about it further. They just emailed me today to set up a 2nd interview with the founder of the company tomorrow which is too short notice for me and my current job anyway. I don't really want to waste their time or mine on the interview but wouldn't mind the interview practice for the future. I'm leaning towards just letting them know I appreciate the opportunity and their time but I'm no longer interested in the position.

I think I'm pretty set on going back to school in the fall to pursue a completely different career so I'll probably stick with my current job until it ends in May and starting looking for part-time work. Being an adult is so difficult!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

seacat posted:

absolutely, and absolutely. Sorry, if you're sending anything but a chronological resume you might as well write "I'm trying to hide unemployment/prison/job-hopping/whatever" on it.

I think you're alright if you are, say, applying to be an engineer and do something like:

2011-Current
Detail detail detail
2007-2009 Engineer
Detail detail detail
2009-2011 Retail
Because gently caress the economy.

In other words, focusing on relevant experience and relegate the filler to the bottom because it's filler and only serves to account for your time that you spent doing nothing. If, for example, you spent a summer backpacking (or even longer, maybe, for some people) then write that in too, because it's accounting for your time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
About applications:

Should I put that I am available immediately, as is my gut instinct? I figure that, while I want to give my employer two weeks notice, that will be hashed out in the negotiation phase.

Or

Should I put that I am available two weeks from the date of application, so that I don't look like I am willing to drop my employer like a bad habit? This is my mother's point of view, and I think it's silly to think this way because the hiring process will most likely take longer than that anyway, so by the time we get around to talking about start dates, I'm going to be asking for an extra two weeks.

While I still think I'm right, I agreed to ask strangers on the internet for fun. And also on the off-chance I'm wrong.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Is this one of those online forms that asks about availability? Either one is fine. No one is going to read too much into either one, they just want to be clear upfront that applicants will be able to start soon after an offer is received, instead of 3 months later.

If it's a cover letter, don't even mention it. It's assumed if you are currently employed that you need to give 2 weeks notice, so the only reason to bring it up there is if you need to give more than 2 weeks notice.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Xandu posted:

Is this one of those online forms that asks about availability? Either one is fine. No one is going to read too much into either one, they just want to be clear upfront that applicants will be able to start soon after an offer is received, instead of 3 months later.

If it's a cover letter, don't even mention it. It's assumed if you are currently employed that you need to give 2 weeks notice, so the only reason to bring it up there is if you need to give more than 2 weeks notice.

Ah, yes, sorry, I meant the online application form.

Thanks for the input!

I'm almost surprised we don't have an "Application Form" thread, these things are so drat complicated sometimes, and you're always wondering if what you said is going to trigger some filter somewhere.

Although perhaps I am overthinking things. Wouldn't be the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm applying for a position for the first time in about 10 years. The OP has been very helpful in getting my resume in shape. However I'm a bit stumped on who to provide as references and I didn't see anything in the OP or searching the first and last page of the thread, other than debating whether to include them initially or not.

Obviously family is out. What about friends? People I've done a bit of work for a few years ago? Someone I work with in a volunteer organization that is completely unrelated to the type of work I'm applying for?