Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
That is so pretty! Good job :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

jomiel posted:

My cardigan is done :D
ravelry page

It's the Featherweight Cardigan from Knitbot, done in fingering weight KnitPicks sock yarn with my new HiyaHiya size 6 needles (they are so great!). Took me a month though I only have 1-2 hours knitting time per day.

I love that pattern. Surprisingly quick for a lace or fingering weight.

Super random but do you have the same username on Ravelry? I noticed a jomiel recently joined the message board for my knit group though I don't think we've met at one of our meetups yet. (If it is you, you should definitely join us soon, we're awesome).

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I do have the same username on Ravelry; which group are you in? I am lurking on all of the SF meetup boards but yeah I've been too timid to go to one. I'd love to meet up :)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Knitters on Tap, we meet pretty much every Wednesday and sometimes on the weekend. I usually work till 8 but try to swing by after. We are very nice and welcoming to new people!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I made a terrible tiny rainbow monkey perched on top of a hill of hexipuffs

Gosh, toy knitting is so much harder.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
That monkey is adorable though! Are you making a whole hexipuff blanket? I have like four hexipuffs made. Maybe I'll finish the blanket just in time to be buried with it.

I finished a HUGE project. Cast on for this fucker in January of 2011. I kept doing this "work on it for two days then get bored and pretend it doesn't exist for like six months" thing. At one point I hadn't even touched it in over a year.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish up all my old half done projects so I can give myself permission to start a ton of new ones. Makes perfect sense to me.

BEHOLD:

The color is a little lighter in real life, more of a hot pink. And you can't tell from this photo but it has ten gazillion beads all over it.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
That is gorgeous.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Absolutely beautiful.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

I used the edging for that shawl for my wedding veil, but I still need to make the shawl.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

That monkey is adorable though! Are you making a whole hexipuff blanket? I have like four hexipuffs made. Maybe I'll finish the blanket just in time to be buried with it.

I finished a HUGE project. Cast on for this fucker in January of 2011. I kept doing this "work on it for two days then get bored and pretend it doesn't exist for like six months" thing. At one point I hadn't even touched it in over a year.

Anyway, I'm trying to finish up all my old half done projects so I can give myself permission to start a ton of new ones. Makes perfect sense to me.

BEHOLD:

The color is a little lighter in real life, more of a hot pink. And you can't tell from this photo but it has ten gazillion beads all over it.

That looks amazing! :woop: Which pattern is it? I have some lace projects queued up but I'm a little afraid to start. I supposed it's all about having lifelines and counting the charts accurately?

I think my hexipuff blanket will probably be a small throw, I'm afraid of cats tearing it up :( They already kneaded the cardigan that was blocked on a table and it has fuzzy bits all over the front... Hexipuffs are addicting though, it's so easy to carry around and perfect for my bus commute.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Hey, is there a thread about hand dyeing yarn? I'm interested in messing around with some acid dyes for sock yarn but not entirely sure where to start. Might just get a beginner color set and a few books from the library and go hog wild.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There are a TON of blogs run by people that dye their yarn and will give you lots of great tips. Or just look it up on Pinterest.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
So I finished knitting a hat and it's too big. :negative: Which drives me crazy because normally I knit really tight and knowing this, I went up a needle size and now this. Do you think if I washed it in hot water, it might shrink? It's 80% merino wool and 20% nylon.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Nibblet posted:

So I finished knitting a hat and it's too big. :negative: Which drives me crazy because normally I knit really tight and knowing this, I went up a needle size and now this. Do you think if I washed it in hot water, it might shrink? It's 80% merino wool and 20% nylon.

80/20 merino/nylon makes me think this is sock yarn, yes? Is it superwash? Superwash almost invariably grows for me.

The shrinking action is going to be due to slightly felting the hat. You may or may not want that. The dryer may help some, too, but you'd have to be careful.

Have you considered lining the hat, or running some elastic thread through the band? Those are less dire options.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Since it's just a hat I would reknit it. Far too easy to shrink an item too much.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Maybe pick up stitches at the brim and make a band of tighter gauge rib?

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. It was suppose to be this hat from Once Upon A Time:

But it turned out HUGE. I guess I'll just reknit it but I really hate re-doing stuff. I'll try sewing in an elastic in the band and see if it'll just turn it into a floppy tam. As is, it fits over my head like a paper bag. :(

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I have the same problem with a hat I just finished. It isn't stupidly huge, but it's going to slide around a bit. Thinking about knitting a lining, it gets pretty drat cold here in the winter. Shame about yours, it's a cute hat.

So, my best friend just got engaged, which is awesome. I'm knitting the bride's wedding veil, and I can't decide which pattern to use. I love the look of Snow Peacock but I want that one for myself (I'm selfish like that). I'm thinking of using a full-size shawl pattern and downsizing it a little so it won't be so bulky. Decisions, decisions.

On second thought, Fiori di Sole looks perfect. Chop some of the body out so it's not as heavy.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 14, 2014

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

left_unattended posted:

So, my best friend just got engaged, which is awesome. I'm knitting the bride's wedding veil, and I can't decide which pattern to use.

If she wants a really "light" netting like lacy veil, you could also just knit a big circle (or square, oval, triangle, whatever she wants) with thin yarn and 'larger' needles and put a fancy edging on it, like the edging on the Fiori pattern. That's what I did with mine. Then it still has the ornate edging, but a less opaque, more 'traditional' veil look.

(I do wish I had time to make my veil much bigger, I wanted it to hang most of the way down my dress, but I knit up to three days before the wedding and then added the edging. I also wished I had starched it or something, it lost it's block like whoa)

My veil

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
Just finished the multnomah shawl from ravelry :)

here's a better view of the edging

I was really happy with it, I think it looks quite well for how simple the pattern actually is.

Edit: clicking on those makes them absolutely huge and I have no idea how to fix it :stonk:

Onionetta fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 15, 2014

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Onionetta posted:

Just finished the multnomah shawl from ravelry :)

here's a better view of the edging

I was really happy with it, I think it looks quite well for how simple the pattern actually is.

Edit: clicking on those makes them absolutely huge and I have no idea how to fix it :stonk:

They expand to a reasonable size for me?

Anyway, that looks like some of the moths we have around here! Very pretty.

That's beautiful!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Onionetta posted:

If you click on the box in the corner that's telling you the dimensions of the picture, they will expand to the full size, which is quite large. But if you click anywhere else in the picture they will expand to normal size :).

Amykinz posted:

Pretty veil

Ooo, I like that. I'll have to show her and get her input.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Ooo, I like that. I'll have to show her and get her input.

I did a 'pinwheel' or spider web set-up for the increases which made a swirl pattern, but you could also use 'pi-shawl' style increases which will make concentric circles of increase rounds (just google it, you'll see what I mean) or you could look up invisible increases which will just give you a big circle with no noticeable increases. (If she decides on a circle at all)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I tried to commit sweater homicide the other day. When I weaved in an end on my sleeve, I apparently picked up a stitch from the back. When I went to block it I found the seemingly extra thread and so I cut it without investigating.

Yeah, this created an ever widening hole in the back of my sweater. I was able to secure the ends and save the integrity of the sweater, but man did I feel stupid.

Anyone else do something similar so I can commiserate?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I wove a baby blanket for my sister that had some lace at each end. It took months to make because of my own kid taking up quite a bit of time by herself. I got it all off the loom, got the ends folded over and hemmed, and then laid the blanket down wrong side up to trim the ends from each hemmed side. As I was cutting the 'fringe', my scissors slipped into one of the lace holes and I cut halfway across the blanket, cutting through the woven lace I had spend hours on. Yup.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

While not as terrifying as Amkykinz (seriously :stonk: was my first reaction), basically every single time I duplicate stitch, I end up catching the sole of the sock/back of the leg.

The worst was when I was repairing a sock. I was cutting out the hole to even it up--I like to just knit a new patch--and cut the top of the foot. Go me.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good sock dpn set? Right now I'm leaning toward getting the KP Karbonz because I like the idea of having knitting needles made out of the same stuff as space ships. :toot:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Definitely try one size before buying a whole set. I wanted to like the Karbonz, and in theory they're great, but the points were all different and not pointy enough for me. There is also a little catch moving stitches onto the tip.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I was at a LYS yesterday and someone had pulled one of the circular ones out to see what they felt like. I asked to feel it up too ;) and I have to agree that they are catchy in the middle and I could see how it would be hard to move stitches up to the tips. Maybe as dpns that would be more desirable if you don't want stitches slipping off though.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Thanks for the info. Originally I was going to buy the Dreamz set because I like their interchangables so much but I was afraid I'd break them at such small sizes.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
My finished products for the Ravellics games

I think my next projects will be the Toulouse Pullover and some socks.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Is it bad that I'm contemplating buying a set of the Knitpicks interchangeables because they came out with that pretty Caspian set?

I want the Knitters Pride Dreamz right? Cause Knitpicks has gone to poo poo?

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

I went with Dreamz and couldn't be happier. At first I was a bit dismayed they weren't as pretty as the Knitpicks set but color coded sizes made up for it.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I bought Hiya Hiya interchangeables and was surprised at how much faster I could knit with metal needles. I was originally reluctant to change because I was afraid it would be slippery, but the needles have a coating on them that makes it "silky" instead of slippery.

I kind of want a set of metal DPNs now....

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

jomiel posted:

I bought Hiya Hiya interchangeables and was surprised at how much faster I could knit with metal needles. I was originally reluctant to change because I was afraid it would be slippery, but the needles have a coating on them that makes it "silky" instead of slippery.

I kind of want a set of metal DPNs now....

I have some metal DPN's and I never use them. I looked at metal ones but I'm not sure I like them. Every time I cast on with my metal needles I always end up putting them on my wooden ones.

I think I was nearly swayed by the pretty color (smart marketing you), I'm ordering my Dreamz tomorrow. :)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Killer_Frost posted:

I have some metal DPN's and I never use them. I looked at metal ones but I'm not sure I like them. Every time I cast on with my metal needles I always end up putting them on my wooden ones.

I think I was nearly swayed by the pretty color (smart marketing you), I'm ordering my Dreamz tomorrow. :)

What metal DPNs do you have?

I tried using my HiyaHiya 9" sock circulars yesterday and realized the flaw in my plan... My usual sock circumference is 8" and it's impossible to knit on the small circulars comfortably :doh:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

jomiel posted:

What metal DPNs do you have?

I tried using my HiyaHiya 9" sock circulars yesterday and realized the flaw in my plan... My usual sock circumference is 8" and it's impossible to knit on the small circulars comfortably :doh:

Oh they're not super nice ones, just the cheap Boyle ones (which could explain my dislike of metal needles) I was using them for a pair of mittens. I think I just prefer wooden needles. I started on metal ones and had such a hard time with them, even giving up knitting for years until someone suggested bamboo ones to me.

Maybe someday I'll give them another shot, but until then I've got awesome wooden ones coming. :)

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

I think I'm going to order a set of these. Yeah, they're kind of spendy but I have the ChiaGoo circulars and I totally love them!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I wish I could use metal needles. I knit kind of loosely, so my stitches tend to slip right off. :( But some of the wooden ones are quite pretty, so it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

I knit super tight so I'm always afraid I'll snap the wooden ones, especially when making really small stuff using the size 1's or something.

On a different note, can I get some opinions or advice? So how do you guys handle it when your friends kind of try to rope you into making stuff? I have a friend who's got a kid. I already made her kid a hat (which was kind of complex but it turned out ok). Of course, it was a gift because this friend lives far away and I'd never gotten her anything when the kid was born.

Now, she's asking about some more kids hats (which seem more complicated) and frankly, I've got other projects to work on and I'm not her free kid-hat factory. What would be the most tactful way to get around it? Charge her a crazy amount for the hat? My passive-aggressive side just wants to ignore her FB comment regarding the hat but that seems so lame. Help me, knitters! How do I not come off as a bitchy shrew on something I don't want to do??