Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dunban posted:

I'm guessing the DS Virtual Console on Wii U launches today.
If it launches with Tetris DS I'm okay with this because that's the best Tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm gonna go the opposite way and bet they launch nothing today.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

univbee posted:

You mean we'll finally get to play the level on the US box? :v:

(Also note the slightly-off World 1 map)

This box always makes me nostalgic.

If SMB3 finally comes to the American VC, I'll have a tough time deciding on the 3DS version or Wii U one. I'll probably go with the 3DS to have it on the go. This is a perfect example of when a better account system would be useful.

edit: Today's announcement better be Year of WaLuigi is starting tomorrow.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 13, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dunban posted:

I'm guessing the DS Virtual Console on Wii U launches today.

I bet it launches with Super Mario 64 DS.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Spacebump posted:

If SMB3 finally comes to the American VC, I'll have a tough time deciding on the 3DS version or Wii U one. I'll probably go with the 3DS to have it on the go. This is a perfect example of when a better account system would be useful.

Useful to you, not them. Either way they have your purchase, and there's a chance you'll buy it twice.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I bet it launches with Super Mario 64 DS.

Yoshi Touch'n'Go, aka the first endless runner before endless runners for 99 cents were a thing, for $15.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Katana Gomai posted:

Useful to you, not them. Either way they have your purchase, and there's a chance you'll buy it twice.

There is a chance someone could buy it twice, but I won't. If anything this only prevents me from buying more VC games. If either the prices were a little less or they let me play on 3DS and Wii U with one purchase, I'd buy a lot more VC games than I have.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Agreed, I would buy almost every game on the VC if it meant I could play it on any Nintendo device linked to the one VC account. As it stands I need to be very pick and choose( BECAUSE IM A POOR ) and that is keeping Nintendo from getting more money from me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spacebump posted:

There is a chance someone could buy it twice, but I won't. If anything this only prevents me from buying more VC games. If either the prices were a little less or they let me play on 3DS and Wii U with one purchase, I'd buy a lot more VC games than I have.
And their competitor has this feature with Vita, so it's not like Nintendo has a position of monopoly to just dismiss it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm a gross enough consumer that I don't even mind paying for the game twice IF it meant I could carry save data back and forth. As it is, why would I want The Legend of Zelda on both?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Hell, I'd buy a Wii U if it meant sharing game ownership with 3DS. Cloud saving would be ideal as well. So I'd say Nintendo having a poo poo account system is not useful to them at all.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Quest For Glory II posted:

If it launches with Tetris DS I'm okay with this because that's the best Tetris.

Truer words have not been spoken in any language ever.

Do we know what the 3DS eShop is being updated with today, yet?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

greatn posted:

I'm gonna go the opposite way and bet they launch nothing today.

This seems to be the most plausible, sadly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If they do launch a new console for Virtual Console, I hope they actually try to release a game for each console each week? Instead of one game total a week, IF AT ALL, like they've been doing so far.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Quest For Glory II posted:

If they do launch a new console for Virtual Console, I hope they actually try to release a game for each console each week? Instead of one game total a week, IF AT ALL, like they've been doing so far.

That'd be swell but I doubt Nintendo has common sense to do that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spacebump posted:

I actually won a copy a few weeks before it came out from a Sunoco Gas Station promotion. Or maybe it was just a few days. Either way I had it early and like EVERYONE came over to see me or my sister play it. People had to be told to go home.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
SO! I guess we US kids finally get Inazuma 11, huh? Is it any good?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Fancy Hat! posted:

SO! I guess we US kids finally get Inazuma 11, huh? Is it any good?

I enjoyed it quite a bit when I imported it for the DS. If you like Soccer, Action-ish RPGs, and don't mind having to do a lot of stylus work, then go for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okay, here's all the eShop-related junk from the latest Direct:

-GBA games coming to Wii U VC starting in April! Confirmed launch titles outside of Japan include Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Yoshi's Island.

-NES Remix 2 (Wii U), outin NA on April 25. Includes 12 games as well as a bonus full game: "Super Luigi Bros", ie SMB played from right to left as Luigi, complete with high jump.

-Child of Light (Wii U), Ubisoft eShop RPG built on the Rayman engine. Out April 30, $14.99.

-Inazuma Eleven (3DS) out now on the NA eShop, $19.99!

-Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS) aka Calciobit, out on the PAL eShop on April 17.

-Steel Diver: Sub Wars (3DS) out later today! Free version includes a small amount of single-player content as well as local/online multiplayer, and you can upgrade to the premium version for $10.

-Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (3DS) aka Darumeshi Sports coming to NA eShop in April. F2P baseball-themed minigame with the gimmick of haggling with the storekeeper to bring down the price of the DLC. From the Rhythm Heaven/WarioWare dudes, the minigames are apparently quite fun!

-Pokemon Link Battle (3DS) aka Trozei, coming to PAL eShop on March 13 and NA eShop on March 20. Includes four-player co-op (local-only, I think) and looks a little more like Puzzle & Dragons.

-WEAPON SHOP de OMASSE (3DS), the "lost" Guild01 game, out on February 20 for $7.99 / €7.99 / ₤7.19.

-Guild sale from now until the 23rd; all Guild titles $2.99/€2.99/£2.69

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 14, 2014

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Guild sale from now until the 23rd; all Guild titles $2.99/€2.99/£2.69

Crimson Shroud, Liberation Maiden, The Starship Damrey, Aero Porter, Bugs VS Tanks, Attack of the Friday Monsters. Personally I think the first three are great purchases and the sale is a great incentive to get them if you haven't.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
April for GBA VC is kinda nuts. There's basically nothing on Wii U for two months from Donkey Kong to it. Stuff like that should be an easy way to pad the wasteland of a release schedule but they're still dragging their feet on it.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

April for GBA VC is kinda nuts. There's basically nothing on Wii U for two months from Donkey Kong to it. Stuff like that should be an easy way to pad the wasteland of a release schedule but they're still dragging their feet on it.

Dude, it's ninendo. What do you expect?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo PAL 3DS dudes, NOE has started sending out the SMB Deluxe freebie codes, so check the email associated with your NNID.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just got mine now, so even Australians are getting them this early.

It's worth noting that the download code expires at the end of April, so don't gently caress around for too long in getting around to downloading it.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 14, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
How do I get the SMB deluxe free code again? I bought my 3ds in December and I think still have a couple of club nintendo codes lying around

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Brasseye posted:

How do I get the SMB deluxe free code again? I bought my 3ds in December and I think still have a couple of club nintendo codes lying around

The promo's over, but if you created or linked a NNID to your 3DS before the end of January you will have been eligible for the code.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

That new Steel Diver game is weird. I downloaded it, gave it a try, and came out of it not hating the game.

Perhaps people should give it a chance. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's not really bad or anything outside of the whole "Who even wanted this?" deal.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got my Super Mario Bros. Deluxe code! I also noticed that about 5 months ago, Nintendo sent me an email with 50 free stars for my birthday (although, it was sent about a month belatedly, which they acknowledged was due to a glitch in their system).

SMB Deluxe is just an enhanced GBC port of SMB1, right?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

irlZaphod posted:

SMB Deluxe is just an enhanced GBC port of SMB1, right?

It also includes most of Lost Levels and a bunch of new features like an achievement-style photo album, a challenge mode with hidden red coins/Yoshi eggs in every stage, a multiplayer mode that you can't play because GBC VC does't support the link cable, etc.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It also has the lost levels. It's been a while since I've played it but the enhanced bit of it also includes some pretty cool challenge mode things if I remember rightly.

Nintendo of Europe is pretty awesome at giving out free stuff. So far I've had professor Layton, animal crossing, codes for other people for animal crossing and monster hunter and now this.

Edit: beaten

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Super Mario Bros. DX is pretty rad in terms of content. The problem is that resolutions at the time mean that the field of view is zoomed way the gently caress in.

I'll probably still just play the actual NES game from the Ambassador program whenever I want a few minutes of SMB but I appreciate the offer.

CowboyAndy posted:

Dude, it's ninendo. What do you expect?

Hope springs eternal that they'll eventually learn their lesson and use their digital platform properly instead of dripfeeding poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Nintendo of Europe is pretty awesome at giving out free stuff.

Unless you're in Scandinavia :denmark:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Man that GBC version kind of rocks actually, plays way better than the original NES version.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I can't get on board with it at all. Weird controls!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Anyone who likes puzzle games should buy Aero Porter now that it's $3. It is a baggage carousel puzzle game from the creator of Sim Tower, Seaman, and Odama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJtNguYPqDQ

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Are there any simple platformers with no lose (or a very generous one) condition on the eu eshop? Turns out that putting a 3ds with SM 3D Land in the hands of my niece is a very effective way of babysitting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently SMB Delxuse is listed on the PAL eShop as getting a proper paid release on the 28th, weird. I didn't think they'd ever charge for it, they usually don't like to offer multiple versions of the same game for purchase.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Are there any simple platformers with no lose (or a very generous one) condition on the eu eshop? Turns out that putting a 3ds with SM 3D Land in the hands of my niece is a very effective way of babysitting.

check out pushmo. it's a puzzle game but you control a cute little guy and push/pull colored blocks so you can jump up to the top of the puzzle and save a little kid. there's no time limit or anything and she can skip puzzles if they get frustrating.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Awesome! posted:

check out pushmo. it's a puzzle game but you control a cute little guy and push/pull colored blocks so you can jump up to the top of the puzzle and save a little kid. there's no time limit or anything and she can skip puzzles if they get frustrating.

I'll probably buy that for myself, it looks fun.

But the kid in question is not even four, so win condition isn't a priority either. I probably should have mentioned this :downs:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Best Buy is gonna be selling eShop cards for 20% off from February 23-March 1.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Kirby is the perennial go-to for that sort of thing, but the only Kirby games on the eShop are the NES/Game Boy versions, so they might be a little outdated.

FreakyForms is a simple, no-pressure platformer from Nintendo that lets you create your own playable monster characters, maybe it'd work well. The character editor might be a little complex, I don't really remember. I can't imagine it'd be a huge issue, it's definitely oriented towards children.

I was gonna suggest one of the Scribblenauts, but she may not be quite literate enough for that game, I don't know.