Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Though I don't know why it takes this much effort to drill "everything seems pretty nebulous so just loving wait and see" into your heads as this so I'm gonna conclude you've all made up your minds and this whole thing is pointless. Go back to your cool dogpile I guess.
The same reason it's so hard for you to accept "there's nothing nebulous about the game becoming more structured and side weapons becoming less useful, just like the last several patches".
I don't doubt he's planning on adding new stuff, but you're insisting blindly that those additions are going to make these detrimental changes somehow totally the opposite of what they obviously are. You're actually suggesting he's going to throw in a whole mechanic that turns the game so upside down that "we made this stuff rarer, less useful, and harder to get without following our exact steps" is going to actually implement more freedom and less grind, and until he DOESN'T, we're not allowed to judge, and that no inference from past changes is allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SirSamVimes posted:

Stopping a boss from being cheesed is bullshit?

When it's a personal choice to do it? ...Yeah?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
To be fair, he's not making everything less useful. But he's nerfing things everyone uses to buff things no one uses, which is by definition a lost cause because we care a whole lot more about nerfs to the awesome stuff that's been glued to our hotbar since we got it than about buffs to crap we never even bothered to try out because it was so obviously inferior.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Can't you still mod the game?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I've never been able to beat Plantera or anything beyond that without cheating (out of game cheating, editing in items or the like rather than just cheesy tactics), and while I could probably have managed to do it if I put a lot of time and effort and consumables into the process it still was enough of a tedious roadblock that it made me give up on the game. And now the early hardmode is nerfed further to make it even harder!! This just seems really... counterproductive to new folks or people with poor reflexes or the like, and it just seems like it's narrowing the game for no real benefit instead of adding more options or things to do. Even if there's nifty new endgame stuff added, how many people are going to see it if they have to smash their head against a wall to get there? :shrug:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Just fight Plantera in a hellevator and he's a pushover. The only times he'll hit you is when you reach one end of it and need to switch directions, and you've always got a clear shot for ranged weapons of all sorts. Just don't go too high or too low!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Stopping a boss from being cheesed is bullshit?

They didn't stop it though, they just changed the way you cheese it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I can't help but feel that by nature any boss in this game is going to be either easily cheesed or complete bullshit. Just by the fact that the arena in which you fight the boss in is entirely decided upon by you means you can very easily trivialize most of your average boss fight designs.

A good example of this is the old golem boss. I was a very traditional boss: completely earthbound and mostly couldn't move or shoot through obstacles. As such the boss could be made piss easy by building a wall around it leaving a tiny hole for you to shoot through.

Unfortunately, Red isn't clever enough to deal with this in a creative way that makes the boss difficult while also making it interesting and fun, so he just makes all of the golem's shots penetrate walls and increases its damage, health, and defense, turning the boss into yet another slog where you run back and forth trying to minimize the amount of damage you have to tank because the golem has pinpoint accuracy and its shots move too fast to reliably dodge, just like every loving thing that shoots at you because Red apparently expects all his players to have the reaction time of a loving hummingbird.

Actually, I lied before about every boss being easycheese/a slog. There's two I kind of like. The first is the Eye of Cthulu, which has a simple movement pattern that gives you enough time to dodge (most of the time) while still keeping on the heat. The other one I like is the Wall of Flesh. Its lasers are blocked by walls, yes, but its constant forward movement means that you can't just hide behind cover in one place forever plinking away at it. Eventually you're going to have to come out into the open and risk being shot at to keep the boss from catching up to you. It still has problems, though. The lasers move so fast that if you aren't behind something you will be hit which wouldn't be so bad if not for the boss firing near constantly later in the fight. But in spite of those issues these two are still the closest the game comes, in my opinion, to a good boss.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I never really considered that reasoning before, but you really hit on something. I feel like most of the early bosses are way more fun than the later bosses, because the later bosses just become a total clusterfuck. There's too many moving parts, too many blindingly-fast projectiles, and too many trajectories to keep track of (to say nothing of the Pumpkin/Frost Moons, which are just catastrophically terrible). Cthulhu's Eye has a pattern that requires skill to avoid, and equipment will help, but in the end the fight, early on, is more about your ability to learn his pattern, stick to it, and not get greedy with your hits. The Worm/Brain are both somewhat similar: decent armor and weapons go a long way, and mobility equipment/grapples can help a lot, but you also have to manage how you fight, focus on defense, etc. Even Skeletron, I feel, is the same way. If you're not totally overequipped for his fight, you have to watch his hands a lot, be ready for his spin, and generally just keep an eye on his pattern while figuring out when and how to get hits in. The fights are all relatively strategic and more rewarding.

In comparison, hardmode fights are basically just a mess of lasers, flames, and other projectiles flying around while you unload endlessly with your best weapon and zip around the boss in circles hoping not to be hit. It's way more about equipment and mobility and less about strategy and ability.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't agree with a lot of the nerfs but the Golem buff made sense to me. If you're fighting him, you've beaten Plantera, and Plantera was way more difficult than golem even when you weren't cheesing him. And it was way too easy to cheese him completely by accident depending on the terrain of the altar room.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

In comparison, hardmode fights are basically just a mess of lasers, flames, and other projectiles flying around while you unload endlessly with your best weapon and zip around the boss in circles hoping not to be hit. It's way more about equipment and mobility and less about strategy and ability.

That's kind of a problem with hardmode in general - it's incredibly gear-dependent. Most of what you're fighting isn't tough because it requires more skill to beat, it's tough because it'll kill you in two hits if you aren't wearing endgame armor and it'll take thirty hits to kill if you aren't using endgame weapons. It especially sticks out against the mechanical bosses, where even if you're the best dodger in the world, the bosses will all just despawn at dawn if you didn't go out and get a weapon with the damage output to kill them before dawn. Though I actually had that issue vs Eye of Cthulhu too, where I could survive against him but couldn't deal enough damage to kill him. Then I crafted a Ruby Staff and it destroyed Eye of Cthulhu, every other pre-hardmode boss, and carried me well into Hardmode before I had to start looking for a new ranged weapon.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I know we've kind of moved on from this initial post, but since I was quoted as the example of :goonsay:.txt:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I mean poo poo like this. You'll remember what? That you bought a fun game for like ten bucks that was more than tripled for free over the next few years and then a patch came out that changed some things? Yeah, I'll remember when Terraria 2 is announced that Terraria had a bunch of free poo poo added to it that was changed a little bit (and then maybe changed even again when the first change was declared too much in the other direction, something which could entirely happen, or left alone if it turns out the other stuff added makes up for it).

I can't speak for everyone in this thread, but when most of us are saying "gently caress Terraria, I'm only playing Starbound now", we're saying "I've already bought Starbound but I haven't fully embraced it", since I'd imagine this thread is pretty much Starbound's target audience. I personally haven't really gotten into Starbound or played Terraria since about the Pumpkin Moon patch and the launch of the Starbound beta, but when my itch for this type of game acts up again, I'll definitely be launching Starbound, not Terraria.

Red has my ten bucks. I've also gotten about 300 hours out of Terraria. I'm not trying to say "man, I wish I'd never bought Terraria", but except for the major content patches (1.1 and 1.2), every patch has been a combination of bug fixes and an extremely high nerf:buff ratio. I don't regret buying Terraria for myself or the four or five copies I've gifted out during Steam sales, but at the same time I can't honestly recommend this game anymore between Starbound existing (so Terraria's not as unique of a game) and the way that the developer is approaching the difficulty curve of the game. I think there's a line somewhere between "Plantera shouldn't be cheesed from the surface" and "Frost Armor is only available after you've beaten a hardmode boss and probably have roughly comparable armor from ores" and most of these tweaks fall on the wrong side of the line.

Sequence breaking is fun sometimes when it's not immediately obvious (again, whose first thought for farming souls would be moving half a meteor into the underworld?). The stock hardmode progression (ore->drill->better ore->better drill->best ore->best ore's gear) was boring when it came out in 1.1 and it's still boring now; being able to actually do things in hardmode without running around my old mineshafts with a pickaxe and mirror for a week first was a huge quality-of-life improvement that's a lot less feasible with the patch notes.

If Red adds other items that kind of address this, then fine, we can discuss that. For now, all we have (at least posted ITT) are nerds for the player except for the key mold rate. And that's worrying from a game that currently has a pretty alright difficulty curve. With the hardmode dungeon, there's even still an area that's challenging for endgame players!

I mean, I put 100 hours into Dungeon Defenders when it came out (and even have all the DLC now, thanks to the Humble Bundles) and loved the game until the absurd patching got to be too much, but there's no way I'm buying Dungeon Defenders 2 given the way that Trendy treats progression and difficulty. Red seems to have developed a similar attitude, and that's unfortunate.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 13, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Sequence breaking is like this game's bread and butter, too. Most people I know have a full set of Jungle gear before they ever fight the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu. Hell, one guy in the co-op game I'm part of had a full set before the Eye of Cthulhu showed up. I see a lot of people who sprint into the first room or two of the Dungeon real quick to grab some spells and items before the Guardians spawn as one of the first things they do in the game.

It's just kinda weird to me that he tries to gate content of a sandbox game behind a linear tech tree. Like, if you don't want the player to be able to cheese a boss or have a piece of equipment before a certain event, then you probably shouldn't make a game where players can freely mold and shape the environment. Cheesing bosses by building special arenas is practically core gameplay.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The one hardmode boss I liked fighting was Plantera, because you only need a big cave to fight him and wings to avoid his projectiles.

Skeletron Prime and the Eyes are kind of the same fight because you only fight them running away from them constantly on the overworld and firing in their general direction. A skybridge or anything like that is wholly unnecessary but the battle is still pretty boring.

The big worm is easy to cheese and if you fought him "properly" it's just a mess of lasers and basically having to damage race him because you're not gonna avoid all that crap.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Is there even a way to fight the Destroyer "properly" without losing the loot? If you have to run all over the place it seems like it would be hard to keep track of how much health he had and therefore where his head needs to be when he bites it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The loot glows, dig down and find it!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Apparently we'll find out exactly how these changes play out in an hour or so. I do hope there's some new stuff at least.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
1.2.3 Changelog:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-1-2-3.132539/

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Spelunker no longer gives off light. This prevents ore from showing up on the map
Spelunker now causes ore to be gold colored on the screen

lol

feed me all the ore. copper gold silver all of it I love to waste my time

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 14, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wouldn't you still be able to tell from the texture of some ores?

EDIT: There are a lot of amazing convenience changes in that patch at least. Putting levers/switches on walls, ore stacking to 999, buckets stacking, ect.

Except for this

quote:

Using Mana Potions now puts a debuff on the player that lowers magic damage based on the amount of time left.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 14, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The bipolarness of those patch notes is patently hilarious. On the one hand, great QOL stuff like no wiring limits and higher ore stacks; on the other hand, nerfing poo poo like Spelunker potions and Mana potions. :psyduck:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The patch seems to have rest my map data, that sucks kind of

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

RatHat posted:

quote:

Using Mana Potions now puts a debuff on the player that lowers magic damage based on the amount of time left.

Finally, I was wondering when he was going to get around to fixing the bug where you're able to fight bosses using magic. I had all this freedom of choice and it was making me really uncomfortable.

Some of these changes make me really glad I'm past the tier progression part of the game and into the part where I build elaborate houses for all my villagers.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Terraria 1.2 - Just Keep Digging Your Own Grave

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Building in this game is downright painful. Maybe in a year or two he'll add something to make it less of a chore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Verviticus posted:

Spelunker no longer gives off light. This prevents ore from showing up on the map
Spelunker now causes ore to be gold colored on the screen

lol

feed me all the ore. copper gold silver all of it I love to waste my time
So Spelunker potions are useless now? :psyduck:

Kly posted:

Building in this game is downright painful. Maybe in a year or two he'll add something to make it less of a chore.
Building is so much better in Starbound, at least in the act of putting things down. No more having to carefully adjust your speed, you can just run along and make a solid line of things.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

On the plus side now that we can use dye on accessories, I have finally achieved my dream of being a Monarch Henchman

e: Holy gently caress, gently caress this game

quote:

Nerfed Spectre Healing helmet.
Spectre Healing Armor: Now uses more mana instead of decreasing mana usage.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 14, 2014

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The cosmetic accessory stuff is cool. some of them don't show up and a lot of them are like 3 pixels big, but you can have a balloon floating from your character now. Plus you can use the cosmetic slots to carry situational accessories.

E: spelunker potions seem to still work the same way (ore glows through walls) except with a gold tint now. Makes it slightly harder to tell certain ores apart, but that was the case before with some of them. Maybe it used to make your character give off light?

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 14, 2014

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ahahahah he still pushed the changes to make the game even more linear through, but at least he didn't totally gut the game with the full list of his balance ideas. Maybe Red actually listened to the negative feedback for once.

Edit: Oh wait Clhorophyte is still rarer and grows slower and the Mushroom spear still can't be gotten until after you would ever want it. weeelp.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

legoman727 posted:

Ahahahah he still pushed the changes to make the game even more linear through, but at least he didn't totally gut the game with the full list of his balance ideas. Maybe Red actually listened to the negative feedback for once.

Edit: Oh wait Clhorophyte is still rarer and grows slower and the Mushroom spear still can't be gotten until after you would ever want it. weeelp.

Ah, but you're not allowed to criticize it, the team "put a lot of effort" into gutting all the fun and convenience in the game. :v:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
New melee armour from the golem, buffs to the ture exc and NE and Terra Blade, nerfs to casters and rangers (shroomite takes longer to get and nerfs to Chloro bullets?). Seems like Red wants more melee players, since it was pretty much useless before (except for shroom spear and north pole, which have both been nerfed).

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Geez there are a lot of new cosmetic items. Red seems to be aiming for Piano Parity across different furniture sets, and I hope you like grandfather clocks because guess what there's like 7 now. Also a ....glass bathtub?

There's a Living Loom item which lets you make livingwood themed stuff, but I can't figure out how to make it.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

With no decent ranged or magic how the hell are you supposed to fight the bosses?

It's absolutely not worth it to melee since you won't have the defense boosts from good armor anymore, since it's impossible to get said armor until you kill bosses you're going to need it for.

This is the worst way to balance your game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tyty posted:

With no decent ranged or magic how the hell are you supposed to fight the bosses?

It's absolutely not worth it to melee since you won't have the defense boosts from good armor anymore, since it's impossible to get said armor until you kill bosses you're going to need it for.

This is the worst way to balance your game.

* Fixed a bug where progression in single-player was possible.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
loving gently caress. The new melee armour requires like 5 golem kills for one set and a full turtle set, so one of the few good things about this patch is poo poo.

Oh, and the Spectre healing nerf? 20% more mana used (enough that my 2-3 mana razorpine uses 6) and 40% less damage. Holy poo poo, that is terrible!

Also, visible accesories makes you look really, really cluttered.

E: gently caress it, I would like to point out that Terrari Viewer still works with everything pre Moon updates, so you can just use that to give yourself all the stuff you need if you don't feel like trying to progress normally anymore.

Double edit: I guess if you want to beat bosses with magic now you need to throw down a bunch of star statues in your boss arena (if you can find them without cheating) since mana potions are crap now and mage shackles no longer synergise with spectre because it means you do gently caress all for damage.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 14, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ashsaber posted:

Oh, and the Spectre healing nerf? 20% more mana used (enough that my 2-3 mana razorpine uses 6) and 40% less damage. Holy poo poo, that is terrible!

Oh, but you see, the testers "spent weeks busting [their] rear end[es]" making sure it was a good adjustment.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there a mod yet that reverses all of the unpopular nerfs but keeps the content additions and optimizations? It seems something that would not be terribly difficult for the people already making major gameplay mods, yet would be very popular.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Glad I turned off autoupdate on Steam, because gently caress this.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
How to turn off Auto Update before turning steam on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

On the one hand, nerfs and linear enforcement. :smith:

On the other hand, I just came across a duck. :unsmith:

• Locked thread