Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This isn't a direct movie question but does anyone remember some guy dying in the last decade who had been dubbed "the man who'd watched the most movies?" I remember reading an article saying he watched at least two movies a night for decades and had seen ~20K to 30K.

No matter what I put into Google I get either "lists of movies for real men" or movies about dead people etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Zogo posted:

This isn't a direct movie question but does anyone remember some guy dying in the last decade who had been dubbed "the man who'd watched the most movies?" I remember reading an article saying he watched at least two movies a night for decades and had seen ~20K to 30K.

No matter what I put into Google I get either "lists of movies for real men" or movies about dead people etc.

Is it Brad Bourland? There's an article about him here. Also, be sure to do a surprisingly hard Sporcle quiz based on his lists here..

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is it Brad Bourland? There's an article about him here. Also, be sure to do a surprisingly hard Sporcle quiz based on his lists here..

Looks like his website, themovielistonline.com , is down + for sale :(

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Turtlicious posted:

Crossposting from Stupid/Small Questions"

When Star Wars came out, was it actually celebrated for it's good writing? Or did it just look really cool? I'm arguing with friends, and he said the following movies were popular for their superb writing:

Am I wrong that these have always been kind of dumb and poorly written? Could someone who was alive / an adult when these came out give me a good idea of what the general public believed about these movies / series?\

I don't care enough to dig deep into this but the idea of someone liking Avatar for being well written really rubs me the wrong way.

Seeing as how most of the others films listed have been defended I'll stand up for the first Austin Powers. It's crass, yes, but I enjoy the "Rip Van Winkle as a 60's super spy" angle. I like the culture clash that goes on as a way to look at how strange the past has been while picking out parts of it that are helpful and shouldn't be left behind. The character of a 60's movie spy has no real place in the modern world but some of the things he represented are still worth standing up for. It's also a little mind-boggling how a movie with a woman named Alotta Fagina still somehow has more character nuance than almost every James Bond film made to that point.

Then the sequels came in and sucked it up pretty bad and maybe made people forget how solid the first film was.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The scene in Austin Powers where they kill a random henchman and it cuts to his wife and children finding out about his death is hilarious.

bobkatt013 posted:

Third Man is a good one to watch, but I will always suggest Third Man.
Other good noir:
Kiss of Death
Touch of Evil
Double Indemnity
Big Combo
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It's possible but I was pretty confident the article I'd read was mostly an obituary or a memorial to someone who'd seen 20,000+ movies.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Lately I've been thinking of actors playing against type or playing very odd roles (the kind of movie that they generally don't play if they're an actor/actress who is somewhat typecast), can anybody think of a few out of the norm I might have missed? Preferably not bit-parts, but otherwise anything is good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

The scene in Austin Powers where they kill a random henchman and it cuts to his wife and children finding out about his death is hilarious.

I don't remember that at all and I've seen AP1 and 2 a ton. Sounds funny though.

Re: turtle, just keep asking yourself "why" a lot to figure out why certain movies are the way they are.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PTizzle posted:

Lately I've been thinking of actors playing against type or playing very odd roles (the kind of movie that they generally don't play if they're an actor/actress who is somewhat typecast), can anybody think of a few out of the norm I might have missed? Preferably not bit-parts, but otherwise anything is good.

Pierce Brosnan in The Matador. Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in Behind the Candelabra. Plenty others I'm sure.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What is the significance of a director using his own hands in scenes where a woman is being strangled? Hitchcock did it, Argento did it, Tarantino did it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

What is the significance of a director using his own hands in scenes where a woman is being strangled? Hitchcock did it, Argento did it, Tarantino did it.

Good question. The director admitting that making films is a way of expressing otherwise forbidden fantasies of violence, particularly sexual (as it's always a woman)?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PTizzle posted:

Robin Williams plays against type in One Hour Photo and Insomnia. Hugo Weaving's role in Priscilla Queen of the Desert is also out of type in hindsight. It's actually pretty funny how drastically his career changed after The Matrix.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PTizzle posted:

Robert De Niro in The King of Comedy (or, really, anything from the 70s aside from Godfather II. It wasn't until later in his career that he became the default mob / tough guy casting)
I suppose you could say almost the same thing about Gene Hackman - The Conversation
Marlon Brando - Don Juan Demarco (don't watch this)
Charlize Theron - Monster
Henry Fonda - Once Upon a Time in the West
Mad Dog and Glory has a double reversal

Possibly helpful: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/PlayingAgainstType/FilmActing

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 13, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hugo Weaving's role in Priscilla Queen of the Desert is also out of type in hindsight. It's actually pretty funny how drastically his career changed after The Matrix.

The same could be said of Tom Hanks and Leslie Nielsen. The films we know them for nowadays are very different from the films they made at the start of their respective careers. If I recall correctly, Elijah Wood also appeared in Sin City partly because he didn't want people to forever associate him with his role in The Lord of the Rings. The same goes for Daniel Radcliffe appearing in the stage play Equus.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

The same could be said of Tom Hanks and Leslie Nielsen. The films we know them for nowadays are very different from the films they made at the start of their respective careers. If I recall correctly, Elijah Wood also appeared in Sin City partly because he didn't want people to forever associate him with his role in The Lord of the Rings. The same goes for Daniel Radcliffe appearing in the stage play Equus.

Wood also played a creepy villain in Eternal Sunshine alongside a morose Jim Carrey.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I know you requested no bit parts, but this one is too good to pass up: Tim "Tool Time" Allen plays a crooked millionaire businessman in Redbelt :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 13, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Steve Yun posted:

At least for Inglorious, Tarantino discusses how he wanted the choking to basically be real, not the kind of Hollywood choking we're used to. But that sort of thing requires a ton of trust, and at that point, Diane Kruger had been working with Tarantino for months, whereas she only has a few scenes with Waltz in the movie. Long story short, it's because there was more trust built up between director and actor in that scene than between actor and actor.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Steve Yun posted:

I don't know about Argento, but Hitchcock and Tarantino are/were huge creepy perverts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't know about Argento, but Hitchcock and Tarantino are/were huge creepy perverts.

I love Argento but you can pretty much file him under creepy pervert as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Argento made a whole film where his own eighteen year old daughter is raped repeatedly, so his hands being in the frame as a woman is choked to death is mild in comparison.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Trivia for the movie The Pit:

quote:

The director's wife refused to let him shoot the nude scenes, so the screenwriter shot them instead. The only shot involving nudity that the director was allowed to film was the "skinny dipping" scene and only because the actress was his daughter.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
If I have the $7.50 amazon movie ticket from purchasing Robocop and the theater I am looking at going to says 'No Passes', does that mean I can't use my coupon?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

foodfight posted:

If I have the $7.50 amazon movie ticket from purchasing Robocop and the theater I am looking at going to says 'No Passes', does that mean I can't use my coupon?
Call them with a telephone and ask.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

foodfight posted:

In my experience you can use those coupons at any time, since you are still buying a ticket, just with a discount. The "no passes" thing is for free movie tickets that people get somehow, I think.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

effectual posted:

I don't remember that at all and I've seen AP1 and 2 a ton. Sounds funny though.

The henchman getting run over is in the regular cut but I believe the "family finding out" part is only in deleted scenes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The henchman getting run over is in the regular cut but I believe the "family finding out" part is only in deleted scenes.

I've seen that film often enough to think you're wrong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I've seen that film often enough to think you're wrong.

Nah he's right.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nah he's right.

Mein gott... That makes me worry about how many times I've watched the deleted scenes alone...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, the family thing is a deleted scene. Source: my dad has Austin Powers on repeat. Repeat. Constant, y'all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I only knew it for certain because I too have seen Austin Powers a million times, but I've never watched the deleted scenes. So I've never seen the family bit you guys are talking about.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Maybe you guys get a different cut over there but the dead henchman joke isn't just in the main film it's also repeated 3 or 4 times.

AP1 & 2 are pretty good and any one who disagrees is just silly...

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I remember being 9 years old and getting dropped off at the theater, my mom suggested Austin powers cause it was "some spy movie". I went and saw it alone and thought it was possibly the best movie ever made.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

midnightclimax posted:

I hope that quote shows up one day on a special editions collector's box of Casablanca.

That could make a good Photoshop thread. Make a movie poster and slap on some quotes from CineD.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Mike Jittlov at some point in his life worked as an animator. He is best known for a short called The Wizard of Speed and Time, which I admit I have a soft spot for because of it's sheer exuberance. On YouTube, people insist that this Jittlov fellow is a genius of special effects, but when I look at his IMDb record, he has hardly done anything. What does he do for a living these days?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Baron Bifford posted:

Mike Jittlov at some point in his life worked as an animator. He is best known for a short called The Wizard of Speed and Time, which I admit I have a soft spot for because of it's sheer exuberance. On YouTube, people insist that this Jittlov fellow is a genius of special effects, but when I look at his IMDb record, he has hardly done anything. What does he do for a living these days?

Looks interesting, thanks. Also from imdb:

quote:

Lives with his mother after her severe stroke left her unable to live alone. [June 2007]

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

syscall girl posted:

Wood also played a creepy villain in Eternal Sunshine alongside a morose Jim Carrey.

He's pretty good in that Maniac remake, too.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

PTizzle posted:

It's probably not quite what you're looking for but I've always found John C. Reilly's career somewhat strange. I first knew who he was from a serious role in Chicago and ever since then I've only seen him in things like Stepbrothers or Walk Hard.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

It's probably not quite what you're looking for but I've always found John C. Reilly's career somewhat strange. I first knew who he was from a serious role in Chicago and ever since then I've only seen him in things like Stepbrothers or Walk Hard.

He still does a lot of small flicks. Check out Netflix and you'll see him in all sorts of Indy comedies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

He still does a lot of small flicks. Check out Netflix and you'll see him in all sorts of Indy comedies.

And stuff like We need to talk about Kevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

And if you're willing to call Chicago a serious role, then he had something similar in Scorsese's Gangs of New York and The Aviator.