Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McConnell can also be linked to Obama...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

StarMagician posted:

Ok, I stand corrected. This would have been a much better issue for her to make the centerpiece of her campaign.

It's not like she's making open carry her main platform or anything. She's spent most of her campaign pushing education (probably because she realizes that, for now, abortion is a loser).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not like she's making open carry her main platform or anything. She's spent most of her campaign pushing education (probably because she realizes that, for now, abortion is a loser).

I saw an ad for the loving Attorney-General that was entirely: "I stopped the left from preventing a moment of silence in classrooms every morning in our glorious christian state, also I know your family is deeply christian, and I just want to let you know, as a Republican, you're the only people who matter"

Pieces of poo poo.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A non-internal poll now has Allison Grimes down by a point to McConnell.
http://www.wenzelstrategies.com/blog/polls/

However - "One in five likely voters in Kentucky do not yet know enough about Grimes to have formed an opinion about her."

They will soon know several unpleasant things Grimes rhymes with, of course.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wenzel Strategies is a hack shop that, in additional to "polling", produces movies for Newt Gingrich.

Don't pay attention to anything they put out. It's somehow worse than ARG.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Why would a GOP hack shop put up a pro-Grimes poll? Is it some kind of internal GOP grudge?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The X-man cometh posted:

Why would a GOP hack shop put up a pro-Grimes poll? Is it some kind of internal GOP grudge?

Maybe that's their pro-McConnell poll.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

A non-internal poll now has Allison Grimes down by a point to McConnell.
http://www.wenzelstrategies.com/blog/polls/

However - "One in five likely voters in Kentucky do not yet know enough about Grimes to have formed an opinion about her."

They will soon know several unpleasant things Grimes rhymes with, of course.
Polling like that is pretty useless. Use an aggregator like HuffPo's.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I guess Gary Miller isn't sticking around to get creamed in his D+5 district. I wonder which two candidates'll come out on top in the primary to replace him?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yay, gently caress off Miller. You won your seat through sheer jungle primary luck.

The Democratic Party seems like its being more disciplined with our district this time around, though the guy they're throwing their weight behind sounds kinda blue doggish, so I'm actually not too excited.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 14, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The X-man cometh posted:

You're giving them too much credit. The reason to ignore Wenzel is not because they're orchestrating a grand conspiracy, it's because they are not competent.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Lycus posted:

Yay, gently caress off Miller. You won your seat through sheer jungle primary luck.

The Democratic Party seems like its being more disciplined with our district this time around, though the guy they're throwing their weight behind sounds kinda blue doggish, so I'm actually not too excited.

Huh. Is the CA Dems' logic "IE=put in a blue dog"?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

I saw an ad for the loving Attorney-General that was entirely: "I stopped the left from preventing a moment of silence in classrooms every morning in our glorious christian state, also I know your family is deeply christian, and I just want to let you know, as a Republican, you're the only people who matter"

Pieces of poo poo.

The attorney general and lieutenant governor races have been completely crazy, there are some great pull quotes if the national media were interested.

Also something to not about Davis "selling out" on abortion: there were a lot more objectionable things in that bill than just the 20 week ban, which was probably the least controversial part. Much more serious were the restrictions on doctors and providers that would shut down most of the abortion clinics in the state.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Seems like it. The guy we had before Miller was a blue dog.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Joementum posted:

You're giving them too much credit. The reason to ignore Wenzel is not because they're orchestrating a grand conspiracy, it's because they are not competent.

Well the other strategy is say, she is close, give us money please.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They might also have luck with a methamphetamine addict in a giant lifted truck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gregor Samsa posted:

They might also have luck with a methamphetamine addict in a giant lifted truck.

Might?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

When do we find out if Yertle keeps his seat?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

When do we find out if Yertle keeps his seat?

November.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Or if he loses his primary to Bevin: May 20.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ballz posted:

Or if he loses his primary to Bevin: May 20.

Is there actually a chance of this happening? Everyone in D&D has been talking about Grimes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Besides presumably the ability to win over the Tea Partiers, what does Bevin have going for him? I ask because McConnell, as Minority Leader, has tons of connections and money. Is there anyone (of importance) in Bevin's corner? Or is the whole thing Quixotic and the best we can hope for is that McConnell says some dumb poo poo to placate the Tea Party.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is there actually a chance of this happening?

Nope.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Speaking of McConnell,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EIMkxNhClQ

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Enslaving our children! Save us, burly skinhead with a shotgun!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hold on, there's a guy trying to out-crazy Steve Stockman in the field of primary challengers to John Cornyn? :psyduck:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Texas, there's always more and it's always crazier.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Besides presumably the ability to win over the Tea Partiers, what does Bevin have going for him?
He's recently been trying to make an electability argument based on McConnell's lovely poll numbers.

Problem is, the polls aren't good for Bevin, either. Favorability ratings from that SurveyUSA (who are generally pretty good) poll:
Grimes: 26/27, not great
Bevin: 10/17, not promising
McConnell: 27/50, :lol:

Grimes has a 4-point lead on McConnell and a 5-point lead on Bevin as well, so nothing too inspiring there. Expect Grimes numbers to drop a bit once the primary is over and the Republicans are down to one choice.

I guess if you're being really generous, you could argue Bevin has more uncommitted voters in which to present himself as a Generic Republican, as opposed to the already highly disliked McConnell. But given that poll also shows a 26-point lead for McConnell over Bevin in the primary, it's probably irrelevant anyway.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

There's no way you can convince me this guy hasn't watched Alpha House.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GMC? Texas is Ford country!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

GMC? Texas is Ford country!

Honestly he should've just had a picture of Calvin peeing on a turtle while Guy Clark's Fools For Each Other plays in the background. Would've gotten the same point across.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A dog with a better developed palate than a human? I find this ad hard to believe. Or he's training the dog to eat McConnell.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If the guy weren't such an obvious goober I might think he was referencing McConnell's classic hunting dog ad, but he's nowhere near that clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4-4EPc2xvU

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Landstander posted:

He's recently been trying to make an electability argument based on McConnell's lovely poll numbers.

Problem is, the polls aren't good for Bevin, either. Favorability ratings from that SurveyUSA (who are generally pretty good) poll:
Grimes: 26/27, not great
Bevin: 10/17, not promising
McConnell: 27/50, :lol:

Grimes has a 4-point lead on McConnell and a 5-point lead on Bevin as well, so nothing too inspiring there. Expect Grimes numbers to drop a bit once the primary is over and the Republicans are down to one choice.

I guess if you're being really generous, you could argue Bevin has more uncommitted voters in which to present himself as a Generic Republican, as opposed to the already highly disliked McConnell. But given that poll also shows a 26-point lead for McConnell over Bevin in the primary, it's probably irrelevant anyway.

Damnit. Every time someone talks about her I get that drat rhyming song stuck in my head. Every loving time.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Caros posted:

Damnit. Every time someone talks about her I get that drat rhyming song stuck in my head. Every loving time.

That was McConnell's plan all along. How would you like six years of Senator Grimes in the news every day? Vote Yertle again in 2014!

jfc123
Nov 11, 2013
A rather large issue facing the Republican party isn't just the tea party split, but also other the people that vote for libertarian candidates, even when it is obvious that they will not win. for example, Republicans would have won Florida in 2012 if everyone who voted for the Libertarian candidate voted for the Republican one (who is often the closest major candidate in terms of policy to the Libertarian)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

jfc123 posted:

Republicans would have won Florida in 2012 if everyone who voted for the Libertarian candidate voted for the Republican one (who is often the closest major candidate in terms of policy to the Libertarian)

Nope, there's a 74,309 vote difference between Obama and Romney in Florida, Gary Johnson received 44,726 votes in Florida.(and libeterians may skew Republican but many of them would otherwise vote Democrat, and many left or right just wouldn't vote for a Democrat or Republican period). The Republican party's problem is not the fraction of a percent that votes Libertarian anymore than the Democrats problem(in an alternate universe where Romney squeaks out a win in FL) is the ~25,000 people who voted for small leftist parties

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

jfc123 posted:

A rather large issue facing the Republican party isn't just the tea party split, but also other the people that vote for libertarian candidates, even when it is obvious that they will not win. for example, Republicans would have won Florida in 2012 if everyone who voted for the Libertarian candidate voted for the Republican one (who is often the closest major candidate in terms of policy to the Libertarian)

Don't do it! Don't start this derail! noooooooo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Naderail incoming, I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
NEXT ISSUE: what up w/ Michigan?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/mi/michigan_senate_land_vs_peters-3820.html

I thought Land was a weak choice. Whys Peters falling behind?

• Locked thread