Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I finally got a couple of chances to try digiscoping... I can tell you this: the Celestron Ultima 80 is really crap for digiscoping and will not focus on anything. The optics aren't that great anyway to begin with, but with a camera that can't compensate like an eye can, you need to leave the eyepiece on 20x and hope what you're looking at isn't very far away and the light is awesome. I got an adapter to mount my Panasonic GF1 directly to the scope eyepiece, but it tilts everything by about 30 degrees, which needs to be fixed in post production.

So here are some birds!

From today at Stocker's Lake,
Red Crested Pochard:

And in the "you're not supposed to be here" file,
Black swan:

Those were taken with my 20mm prime because as soon as he saw people he made a beeline for the shore and was close enough. I kind of forget how to use my camera, so I just took those quickly on auto.

From yesterday at Barnes (poo poo poo poo weather),
Grey Heron:

Grey Heron caught a vole, vole isn't quite ready to be eaten yet

After a bit of a drowning (I think he was wetting it so it would go down easier), it wasn't putting up a fight anymore.
That's some state of nature poo poo right there, pictures are bad (shot through the scope), but I can't believe I actually caught it. There were some magpies that looked interested in what it had got, so I put my scope on him and holy poo poo it caught a vole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I've always thought starlings were pretty birds. For some reason I kind of like them, even though they're invasive and kind of dicks.

Starling by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Venusian Weasel posted:

I've always thought starlings were pretty birds. For some reason I kind of like them, even though they're invasive and kind of dicks.

They're very personable and intelligent birds, too - I used to work for someone who ran a small scale starling rescue operation, and would take in injured birds or hatchlings because otherwise shelters would kill them. Once they get used to being around humans, most of them are very friendly and learn words/phrases very quickly (then teach those to each other). One of them would even combine things it learned from people into its own nonsense. It became very fond of saying "Sweet doin', baby!" which it combined from "How ya doin', baby Maya?" and "Sweet bird." Within a month, two other starlings were saying "Sweet doin', baby!" along with it.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
Got a few shots of this Lanner falcon hunting Sandgrouse in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

StraightFace fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 17, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh my god, what a beautiful shot.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Kenshin posted:

Oh my god, what a beautiful shot.

Thanks for the compliment
Also, how do I embed a flickr image? I have tried using the [img] tags with no luck.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

StraightFace posted:

Thanks for the compliment
Also, how do I embed a flickr image? I have tried using the [img] tags with no luck.

When you're in the photobox for the image on Flickr there's a square icon with an arrow coming out of it. Click that, chose Grab the HTML code and chose the preview image size.

small-2571 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Example if you quote my post ^^^

Edit: Christ, I really need to clean up that image. So much poo poo in the water.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 11, 2014

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When you're in the photobox for the image on Flickr there's a square icon with an arrow coming out of it. Click that, chose Grab the HTML code and chose the preview image size.

small-2571 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Example if you quote my post ^^^

Got it thanks

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

StraightFace posted:

Got a few shots of this Lanner falcon hunting Sandgrouse in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Wow! Very well done.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

StraightFace posted:

Jumping on the bandwagon...beauty of a shot!

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Moon Potato posted:

Wow! Very well done.

InternetJunky posted:

Jumping on the bandwagon...beauty of a shot!

Appreciate the compliments!

Lappet-faced Vulture in the Kruger National Park, I unfortunately clipped the wing tip

Lappet_Faced_Vulture by StraightFace, on Flickr

StraightFace fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 21, 2014

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

StraightFace posted:

I unfortunately clipped the wing tip

Looks fine to me :ssh:

:ducksiren: /\ /\ /\ Not My photo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Wandered around the arboretum today in Seattle. Didn't find the bald eagles, but there were plenty of little birds around.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Was out for a walk a few months ago at a local park and saw these guys in the water.

DuckButt by Ezekiel980, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Those shots are great, StraightFace. Are you vacationing or do you live down there? What are you shooting with?

For people wondering how well that Tammy 150-600 works for birding, check this out. Seems to me like it might be the new no brainer choice for serious entry level wildlife photography.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
EDIT: Wrong thread

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 13, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

For people wondering how well that Tammy 150-600 works for birding, check this out. Seems to me like it might be the new no brainer choice for serious entry level wildlife photography.

The more I read the more I want one. :fap:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Those shots are great, StraightFace. Are you vacationing or do you live down there? What are you shooting with?

Just be aware that there is a significant issue right now with some Canon bodies and AI Servo where the lens is not tracking focus. Tamron doesn't seem to give a crap.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1273142

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So it looks like I'm flying to Panama City, Panama on a whim in two weeks.

Anyone been down there for birding? Any quick tips?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I take complaints like that with a grain of salt until I start seeing it show up a little more "officially". There's a lot of fud and fanboyism that goes around on camera forums and I constantly see people trash sigma and tamron stuff. That first poster in the link you put up doesn't even own the lens and he's writing complaints to Tamron about it, which seems pretty weird to me. It could very well be a real issue but I haven't seen it mentioned in any full reviews yet. If it is an actual issue, Tamron better deal with it because it would sink that lens considering its main use.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

Thanks, I live here and those two was with a 7D and a Canon EF 400 f5.6 L(The best BIF lens in my opinion)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Found some birds I haven't noticed much before while wandering around Warren G. Magnuson Park today in Seattle

Common Starling
ISO 220 (auto), 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

Red-winged Blackbird
ISO 450 (auto), 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

"King of the Blackberry Bush"
(species unknown)
ISO 280 (auto), 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

(male) House Finch I think?
ISO 320 (auto), 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

(female) House Finch I think? She was with the male in the previous picture.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 13, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kenshin posted:

(male) House Finch I think?

(female) House Finch I think? She was with the male in the previous picture.

Yep, male and female house finches. Minus the red the females have that same up and down dark brown stripping on their breast.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kenshin posted:

Found some birds I haven't noticed much before while wandering around Warren G. Magnuson Park today in Seattle

"King of the Blackberry Bush"
(species unknown)
ISO 280 (auto), 400mm, f/8, 1/500sec

Song Sparrow. King of the Blackberry Bush would make a good alternative name for that species locally, actually.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I finally got my whole digiscope rig (birding scope + digiscope adaptor + camera body) setup and had a chance to take some test shots on my pet owl that I have trained to stay very still for me.

Both shots taken with 7D, straight out of camera using default RAW conversion.

This is a shot taken at 30x zoom, which is the equivalent of about ~1300mm according to my scope manufacturer.

(original size: )

This is a shot taken at 70x zoom, which is the equivalent of about ~3300mm according to my scope manufacturer.

(original size: )

This is going to be a great addition to my current birding setup, and I hope to get a lot of shots I just couldn't get with all my other gear. Unfortunately I can't use my 1DX with this since the digiscope adaptor is for crop bodies only. That's pretty sucky since high-ISO is needed for decent shots since the lens is so poor for light.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty cool- much better than I got with a collar-type adapter for my EOSM.

Which adapter is that?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
And what scope are you using? That's real clean for digiscoping

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It's the Swarovski ATX 95mm + their APO adaptor. link

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Really curious to see how that handles with distance shots. I've long been under the impression that digiscoping is almost always worse than a DSLR with a 400mm+ lens in almost every circumstance, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Really curious to see how that handles with distance shots. I've long been under the impression that digiscoping is almost always worse than a DSLR with a 400mm+ lens in almost every circumstance, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
I can toss my 600mm on the same body from the same distance and post a comparison if you want. I can't really get further away without going outside unfortunately.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Wait, what? I want to hear more about this! Did you take one home from a night out banding?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I'd guess that it's stuffed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think so much depends on the quality of the optics. See my lovely pics at the top of the page. That was a cheap-rear end scope (since returned). A 95mm swaro atx is about as good and about as expensive a scope as you can possibly buy.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
From Yellowstone Park., I have no idea what it is.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

From Yellowstone Park., I have no idea what it is.

Killdeer. Probably the most common shorebirds in the US because it breeds and feeds in fields rather than exclusively on the shore.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Was that at Mammoth Hot Springs? I got a Killdeer photo there a couple of years ago.

Yellowstone2012 355 on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You got it in one. :)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I can toss my 600mm on the same body from the same distance and post a comparison if you want. I can't really get further away without going outside unfortunately.

I'd be most interested to see how well it works on real world situations where the digiscope setup outperforms the 600mm so if you get a chance to shoot shots like that of be really curious to see the results. I'm sure you'll probably want to wait until it warms up a bit though ;)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'd be most interested to see how well it works on real world situations where the digiscope setup outperforms the 600mm so if you get a chance to shoot shots like that of be really curious to see the results. I'm sure you'll probably want to wait until it warms up a bit though ;)
I wouldn't say it outperforms the 600, just that it offers some opportunities for shooting that the 600 doesn't. For example, yesterday I spotted some Gray Partridge far up on the road ahead. This is the shot taken at maximum zoom (so about ~3000mm equivalent focal length):

After cropping and processing I ended up with this:

...it's nothing to write home about, but still produces a decent image and I wouldn't have ended up with anything if I didn't have the scope.

I drove 1000 kms yesterday looking for Short-eared Owls. Didn't find any unfortunately but I did spot 7 snowys which was a treat since they were very sparse here this winter. Here's a nice all white male in a very natural setting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

InternetJunky posted:

I wouldn't say it outperforms the 600, just that it offers some opportunities for shooting that the 600 doesn't. For example, yesterday I spotted some Gray Partridge far up on the road ahead. This is the shot taken at maximum zoom (so about ~3000mm equivalent focal length):

After cropping and processing I ended up with this:

...it's nothing to write home about, but still produces a decent image and I wouldn't have ended up with anything if I didn't have the scope.

I drove 1000 kms yesterday looking for Short-eared Owls. Didn't find any unfortunately but I did spot 7 snowys which was a treat since they were very sparse here this winter. Here's a nice all white male in a very natural setting:

How do you drive around aimlessly looking for birds? I've always wondered how that works...