Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I am very intrigued by this development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Eagerly waiting the Ikea and Tommy Bahama IAPs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That looks awesome! I'm sure it will be ruined by energy mechanics and iap!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yodzilla posted:

That looks pretty goddamn sick.

ikr
wen can I have it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Kins posted:

And in "bizarre iOS game announcment" news, Square-Enix Montreal (Deus Ex Human Revolution, Thief 4) just announced Hitman Go, a turn-based strategic assassination game for mobile that has you doing Agent 47's work on diorama-style playfields.

No word on release date (beyond "soon") or monetization scheme.

Whoah this looks rad.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What are your guy's opinions for the best IAP characters to pick up in Warhammer Quest? If it is a type that would fill in the role of the elf, even better.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Mikey Purp posted:

What are your guy's opinions for the best IAP characters to pick up in Warhammer Quest? If it is a type that would fill in the role of the elf, even better.

I'm a big fan of the shadow warrior, bright wizard, witch hunter and warrior priest. Shadow warrior has high evasion and the counter attacks and reaction strikes are pretty useful. I've also heard that it becomes one of the best classes in the game if you equip it right, but I've only started using it recently. Witch hunter is pretty fun, too, because it provides a good mix of melee and ranged abilities and unique items like stakes. Warrior priest is also pretty good now that they've buffed him - level him up to 2 then retire him a couple of times so that you can equip him with 3 or 4 of his jade rings for random huge healing procs (but also occasional damage debuffs).

I didn't like the trollslayer, ogre or archmage. Iron breaker is superior to the trollslayer, the ogre isn't very great, either. And the randomness of the archmage (switches between offensive and defensive spells) can get pretty annoying.

tut
Nov 4, 2004

Um, have you guys checked out this game? I saw it on the Touch Arcade app. Gameplay so far is pretty similar to Battle Cats.

Here's a possibly NSFW screenshot:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

By battle cats do you mean that weird alpaca game?

tut
Nov 4, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

By battle cats do you mean that weird alpaca game?

Ah, yes. That's the one. Battle Cats was strange too, though.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
When I saw the screenshots for that game I immediately thought of Dr Venture eating his brother in the womb.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone have any ipad games they can recommend for long plane rides? Preferably something RPG or adventure like (no endless runners). I've already gone through Phoenix Wright, Final fantasy, Infinity blades, GTA, and Layton.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Anyone have any ipad games they can recommend for long plane rides? Preferably something RPG or adventure like (no endless runners). I've already gone through Phoenix Wright, Final fantasy, Infinity blades, GTA, and Layton.

In no particular order... Warhammer Quest, Avernum (or maybe Avadon), Bastion, XCOM, Bard's Tale are worth checking out. Maybe Sid Meier's Pirates, and theres some good board/card games like Carcassonne or Ascension if you are into that stuff and don't mind playing with AI

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Well it's a bit on the weak side but the new Broken Sword just landed for iOS.
It's not quite as charming or cohesive (or written remotely well) as the first few games but thankfully they're on iPad too.
I definitely recommend Broken Sword 1 if you like adventure games never got around to the series.
Pretty much all of them are good and long and for a more than reasonable price though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Depending on the game and how long the flight is, you may want to bring a USB battery too if they don't have in-flight power options you can use.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I'm really curious how that battleships game by Paradox turned out. I think it was called Leviathan Warships. Looked cool, but I don't have an iPad.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Does that include Final Fantasy VI, which just came out for iOS a few days ago? Because it's a pretty good port of a fantastic game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Biggest Jerk posted:

War of Eustrath is a pretty rad Super Robot Wars-ish type of game. The Chaos Rings series is pretty rad, too, if you want a more traditional rpg.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

DNK posted:

I'm really curious how that battleships game by Paradox turned out. I think it was called Leviathan Warships. Looked cool, but I don't have an iPad.

It was actually pretty cool, though it crashed ALL. THE. TIME. on my iPad mini. I deleted it while waiting for a patch, as it was literally crashing after every battle. Incredibly frustrating.

Honestly don't know if it's been fixed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hmmmm Guardian Cross reskinned with zombies. Sounds terrible. Did Guardian Cross ever get it's poo poo together with all the duping/hacking/etc?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will definitely give each a look. Don't know if I'm the only one but I wish they would have a traditional yu gi oh game out in vein of the gbs ones...

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh hey a new adventure time card game is out. Oh it is a $4 game filled with timers and IAP :smith:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zwilnik posted:

Who needs to wait for Thursdays? Our new game Any Landing is now live across the App Store worldwide (and FREE :) ) enjoy!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/any-landing/id609747502?mt=8

Thanks. This is a fun game.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Dungelot 2 is out. It's free an has some IAP, but from what I've played so far it's pretty out of your face. The game is just as enjoyable as the previous one :)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

RhysD posted:

Dungelot 2 is out. It's free an has some IAP, but from what I've played so far it's pretty out of your face. The game is just as enjoyable as the previous one :)
Ehhhh, did the first one get better? I remember it being comically easy and I just got bored of it.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

duckfarts posted:

Ehhhh, did the first one get better? I remember it being comically easy and I just got bored of it.

I dunno, I enjoyed it during my train commutes. It was pretty mindless fun in short bursts.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Has anybody tried running Final Fantasy VI on an iPhone 4S? I'm tempted to grab it, but I don't wanna end up with a crash-fest.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Do you like Star Wars? Knights of the Old Republic has an iOS release and it's the greatest Star Wars RPG ever*.

* Well, I think it is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Do you like Star Wars? Knights of the Old Republic has an iOS release and it's the greatest Star Wars RPG ever*.

* Well, I think it is.

This is not a bold claim.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What competition does is actually have? I can't think of anything except Kotor 2 and TOR?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
There was another Star Wars MMORPG. All I know about it is that you couldn't play a Jedi at first, and when you unlocked it, anyone could kill you or something?

(I preferred the second KOTOR; bigger flaws, bigger positives in my opinion. But I'm a huge Chris Avellone fan/apologist.)

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

I don't know about those details you mentioned, but the other MMO was Star Wars Galaxies.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TraderStav posted:

This is not a bold claim.

If only two had been finished. It probably would've been my #1 game of all time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chakan posted:

If only two had been finished. It probably would've been my #1 game of all time.
With the Restored Content Mod I'd say it's easily one of my favorite games.

Edit: On-topic, I second the recommendation for KOTOR and also suggest The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, assuming you haven't already played them on other platforms.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 14, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Deus Ex game is really good. You might also dig King of Dragon Pass. Not a traditional RPG, but awesome and deeply replayable. Sorcery! and Sorcery! 2 are also good, in the game-book tradition.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest Jerk - Allow me to recommend Final Fantasy Tactics, Battle of the Bulge (if you like strat games), Device 6, Oceanhorn, Pathogen. I didn't like Deus Ex (FPS on a touchscreen dont work for me, esp one as precise as a Deus Ex game). As well as seconding the Sorcery! series because they are awesome.

The IAP for Dungelot 2 is an unlock for the full game I believe.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Oh yeah. Hey, iOS thread. Mad about Dungeon Keeper.app?

EA is trying to buy your love back by letting GOG give the original away for free all weekend. (Hit Alt-R once the dungeon proper loads to play it in high-res mode.)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I really like Shadowrun Returns, though making an eleven sniper p. much breaks the game. I am interested in further playthroughs with magic or hacking as a specialty. I'm a bit worried, though - I seem to be nearing the end and I haven't really been playing it that long. Does the story arc have multiple peaks (as in you think you're at the end but it's just a mid-boss a la FF) or am I finished after stopping the ritual? Anyway there is another adventure coming soon.

Thanks to whoever recommended this? If I like the combat here should I pick up X-Com?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

xian posted:

The IAP for Dungelot 2 is an unlock for the full game I believe.

I've only played it for like one round but it's not so much unlocking the full game as much as it is disabling the cooldown timer. There are still IAPs beyond that though.

From what very little I've played it does seem way improved over the original though, and much more challenging. It's still not the deepest of games, but it was never trying to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

bad day posted:

I really like Shadowrun Returns, though making an eleven sniper p. much breaks the game. I am interested in further playthroughs with magic or hacking as a specialty. I'm a bit worried, though - I seem to be nearing the end and I haven't really been playing it that long. Does the story arc have multiple peaks (as in you think you're at the end but it's just a mid-boss a la FF) or am I finished after stopping the ritual? Anyway there is another adventure coming soon.

Thanks to whoever recommended this? If I like the combat here should I pick up X-Com?

There are indeed multiple peaks. The combat in X-com is even better(IMO)and I loved SR:R, so you should defiantly get it.

• Locked thread