Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oxxidation posted:

My party in FFXIII-2 now contains a Tonberry in sunglasses.

This entire terrible series is redeemed.

My personal favorite was getting the DLC boss Omega in my party and putting that silly red propeller thing on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does the Blue Mage just have to have Learning equipped and have a spell cast on him for them to learn it? There's nothing in the blue mage menu during combat I can use.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Classes have innate passive abilities beyond the active command ability.

Blue Mage innately has the skill Learning. Getting enough AP to get the skill "Learning" is so that other classes can use it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does the Blue Mage just have to have Learning equipped and have a spell cast on him for them to learn it? There's nothing in the blue mage menu during combat I can use.

You don't need to equip Learning when in the Blue Mage job- but you can learn blue magic with other jobs by equipping Learning.

Anyways, some early blue magic you can learn:

Aero is cast by the flying snake guys in the Wind Shrine when they are alone, I believe.
Goblin Punch is used by Goblins (also found in the Wind Shrine)
Vampire/Red Feast/whatever it's called is cast by the bats in the pirate's cave.

That should give you a good start.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In general if an enemy attack has a unique animation that isn't regular Black, White, or Time Magic, there's a 90% chance it's Blue Magic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

You don't need to equip Learning when in the Blue Mage job- but you can learn blue magic with other jobs by equipping Learning.

Aero is cast by the flying snake guys in the Wind Shrine when they are alone, I believe.
Vampire/Red Feast/whatever it's called is cast by the bats in the pirate's cave.

Note: Vampire Is glitched as gently caress and always does [Your Max HP] - [Your Current HP] in damage and Heals for that much. It's a guaranteed full heal every use for like 3 mp.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish Providence was the default outfit in LR. It looks like something Prince would wear, which automatically means it owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Note: Vampire Is glitched as gently caress and always does [Your Max HP] - [Your Current HP] in damage and Heals for that much. It's a guaranteed full heal every use for like 3 mp.

In the SNES and iPhone version, it's only half your missing HP that it heals and deals in damage. A bug made it do full damage in the gba version. It's still very good!

Goblin Punch is also useful, because it deals normal attack damage from the back row for 0mp, and has a few other effects, such as bypassing a few nasty tricks (the chicken knife, etc.) and dealing octuple damage when the enemy has the same level as you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MonsieurChoc posted:

Goblin Punch is also useful, because it deals normal attack damage from the back row for 0mp, and has a few other effects, such as bypassing a few nasty tricks (the chicken knife, etc.) and dealing octuple damage when the enemy has the same level as you.

It also lets you use the Excalipoor for full damage. :woop:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MonsieurChoc posted:

In the SNES and iPhone version, it's only half your missing HP that it heals and deals in damage. A bug made it do full damage in the gba version. It's still very good!

Actually, the Chicken Knife is one thing it DOESN'T work with- it will always treat the Chicken Knife as base damage, completely unboosted by fleeing, and accordingly crap.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, the Chicken Knife is one thing it DOESN'T work with- it will always treat the Chicken Knife as base damage, completely unboosted by fleeing, and accordingly crap.

Welp. At least it works on Excalipoor?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Only thing I've learned so far is Aero from getting hit enough times with Aero from Magissa :v:

Speaking of which she was a jerk, and I probably should have done that level after going to the town and getting better armor but well uh. I didn't really know which way to go.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So has anyone else not gotten the code for the Cloud/Yuna outfit from Amazon? I've been checking my e-mail, and I haven't seen anything come in with it.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm not the only one.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 13, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Where do do I find the various codes at the start of XIII-3? I have the first digit, but I have no idea where to go from there.

e: Ah, nevermind, saw a ladder I was somehow missing before.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 13, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

PunkBoy posted:

So has anyone else not gotten the code for the Cloud/Yuna outfit from Amazon? I've been checking my e-mail, and I haven't seen anything come in with it.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm not the only one.

I sent them an e-mail about it and got a reply with the codes back the same day. The outfits are really good!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
So far I'm really not liking Lightning Returns. I just finished the first day and feel like I don't know what I'm doing, and the timer leaves me feeling like every bit of exploration I do is wasting precious time that I'll never be able to compensate for. Am I going to feel any different the second time I put the game in? I remember not liking the original 13 at the start with that giant linear intro, but changed my mind once I got down to the full world.

I really, really hate playing against countdowns in games, which made me shut off the first Fallout after one session, so I'm hoping that I'll feel differently soon or else I'm selling it back now while the buyback credit is relatively high.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Listerine posted:

So far I'm really not liking Lightning Returns. I just finished the first day and feel like I don't know what I'm doing, and the timer leaves me feeling like every bit of exploration I do is wasting precious time that I'll never be able to compensate for. Am I going to feel any different the second time I put the game in? I remember not liking the original 13 at the start with that giant linear intro, but changed my mind once I got down to the full world.

I really, really hate playing against countdowns in games, which made me shut off the first Fallout after one session, so I'm hoping that I'll feel differently soon or else I'm selling it back now while the buyback credit is relatively high.

I'm really enjoying it, but I must admit that I was having the same problem as you until I restarted and followed a guide. Majora's Mask somewhat got away with it, because certain events (ie. the bomb bag) occurred very obviously, and there were only a few events in total that depended on certain timelines - plus, there was an in-game book that recorded what happens when. This is just too big to keep track of - effectively 14 days of events occurring at various different times. Even using the guide (which leaves 2 days free to fix things missed during) I'm flat-out with not much to spare. It very much feels like if you wanted to get through everything in less than 5+ playthroughs, you'd have to use a guide.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Funny thing is just about everyone comes in here saying how bad they feel about having a timer and then get corrected by someone that says the timer is essentially meaningless. Does the game not explain that you can freeze time?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
It does, but at the start of the game it's not immediately obvious that the ability is virtually spammable later on. You start off getting very small amounts of EP.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I'm at Day 2, past midnight. I'm trying to play the game without stressing about the clock. I couldn't find all the numbers for the code in Day 1, so I said screw it and went to the other town, Yusnaan.

Maybe not the best comparison, but I'm treating LR as if its a Fallout New Vegas. Basically, I just want to wing it and do whatever I want. I expect my first playthrough to be a failure, but I went into this game intending to take my time and play it multiple times.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Welp, so far I have not been able to find a single mod that ONLY makes Cyan's Bushido go faster for FF6Advance, for either America or Europe. I'm about to start a play through where the only skillsets the characters can use is what they have already, so no magic on anybody besides Terra, Celes, Strago, Relm, and Gogo because Mimic, and I was really hoping to use Cyan, but I'm not waiting through Bushido.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gologle posted:

Welp, so far I have not been able to find a single mod that ONLY makes Cyan's Bushido go faster for FF6Advance, for either America or Europe. I'm about to start a play through where the only skillsets the characters can use is what they have already, so no magic on anybody besides Terra, Celes, Strago, Relm, and Gogo because Mimic, and I was really hoping to use Cyan, but I'm not waiting through Bushido.

How to make Cyan useful: imp him and use that equipment.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I'm at Day 2, past midnight. I'm trying to play the game without stressing about the clock. I couldn't find all the numbers for the code in Day 1, so I said screw it and went to the other town, Yusnaan.

Maybe not the best comparison, but I'm treating LR as if its a Fallout New Vegas. Basically, I just want to wing it and do whatever I want. I expect my first playthrough to be a failure, but I went into this game intending to take my time and play it multiple times.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I've never 100%-ed any FF before so I'm not gonna start now. I actually find the openness refreshing. They tell you almost nothing and don't really guide you at all after the first day aside from telling you that main quest lines exist and to do them.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Yeah if you're stressing out about the timer, remember you can freeze it, and if you're unable to advance in one area due to what time it is, or you just can't figure it out, go to one of the other zones. As long as you're not just standing around for a full day without doing any side quests/main quests you'll be fine.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Cyan still kind of stinks in FF6 mobile, because the charge times on his sword tech is still crappy even if it no longer holds up everybody else's turn. So should I imp him later or maybe make him into a Dragoon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Listerine posted:

I'm sort of tempted to make a LR thread and write an OP for it. (Not to sound snarky or anything it is just that a lot of people seem to be having this issue.)

The time limit is really really not a thing to be concerned about. In a relatively short amount of time you'll discover that you can generate roughly infinite EP by cycling between fights and Chronostasis, as well as using Teleport to bypass the time you lose from taking trains. There are enemies who give 2 EP per fight and Chaos Zones always give 1 EP per fight, in addition to the amounts you get from regular fights. These fights are relatively less common in town but still fairly common and you will have more than enough time to do everything you need.

I really want to stress that time is not an issue. You can finish every sidequest on one playthrough. The one most time-consuming playthrough (Defeat all the Last Ones) has an alternate method to allow you to finish it much more quickly. By the time I'd reached the end of the game I was sleeping through days because I had nothing else to do. Even if you find the time limit more restrictive than that, I can't imagine you'll find it restrictive enough you can't finish things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 13, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not guaranteed. It has a 99% hit rate, which will make it almost always hit in the early game, but against a lot of bosses it has a good chance of missing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm not really feeling Lightning Returns yet. I really don't like what they've done with the stagger mechanic, and a lot of the quests are really blatantly busy work. The combat system is fantastic as long as it's one on one, but once you start fighting multiple enemies it just doesn't work. The camera turns ridiculously slowly in combat and the default camera is so close to Light that you're inevitably going to lose track of someone. I also really don't like the huge open world, it feels like they made it big for the sake of having a big world and it takes forever to get anywhere (god help you if you have to search for something because teleporting takes 60% of your EP at the start so you're going to be spending a lot of time running).

That said the action elements work really well and I kinda wish they had gone a little farther with it. Move switching between schemata to L1 like in 13/13-2 (or move it to the D-Pad, whatever), give me a dedicated dodge button on R1, and leave the rest of customization alone (maybe leave square as a dedicated guard button). Speed everything up a little bit and it would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

But seriously Square, why the gently caress did you mess with the stagger bar, get this "wave form" bullshit out of here.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Artix posted:

I'm not really feeling Lightning Returns yet. I really don't like what they've done with the stagger mechanic, and a lot of the quests are really blatantly busy work. The combat system is fantastic as long as it's one on one, but once you start fighting multiple enemies it just doesn't work. The camera turns ridiculously slowly in combat and the default camera is so close to Light that you're inevitably going to lose track of someone. I also really don't like the huge open world, it feels like they made it big for the sake of having a big world and it takes forever to get anywhere (god help you if you have to search for something because teleporting takes 60% of your EP at the start so you're going to be spending a lot of time running).

That said the action elements work really well and I kinda wish they had gone a little farther with it. Move switching between schemata to L1 like in 13/13-2 (or move it to the D-Pad, whatever), give me a dedicated dodge button on R1, and leave the rest of customization alone (maybe leave square as a dedicated guard button). Speed everything up a little bit and it would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

But seriously Square, why the gently caress did you mess with the stagger bar, get this "wave form" bullshit out of here.

The default battle camera is definitely rear end, but the zoomed out setting is good (if someone does make a new thread for it, a note to switch the camera should be near the top). That being said, to some extent the camera doesn't actually matter. Though more action-y elements were added into the game's combat, it's still on a fundamental level menu based, just with some timing elements. Lightning switches targets and runs for attacks way faster than she moves normally, which makes managing multiple targets easier when combined with being able to interrupt slow attacks.

Regarding staggers, they've put much more emphasis on making use of the enemies' special stagger mechanisms (perfect guarding, interrupting attacks, weak points, etc.) than just plowing attacks into them. I've more or less started ignoring the wave form as an objective. The gorgonopsids in Luxerion are a good example of this. They take a pounding and don't stagger easily until you perfect block megabite (which I'm still awful at), at which point they drop quick. Also your dedicated dodge button is whatever button you assigned the guard or evade command to in that particular schema. The game isn't really trying to be DMC or Bayonetta. It still follows its menu based roots.

vvvv It doesn't really need to be like a super effort post or anything.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artix posted:

The reason is that Staggering doesn't work like it did in the previous game. It isn't just filling a bar = enemy is staggered. They now have various stagger 'conditions' and meeting that condition staggers them. I think they could have shown it more effectively but the old bar wouldn't have worked for some of them.

Anyway, I'm working on a thread for it because I hate myself I guess!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah I wish they had just called it something else. It took me awhile to realize I couldn't treat staggering the same as in past games and it didn't feel like they explained it very well.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
In regards to staggering, I know there are special conditions to staggering enemies but does it still follow the previous game's idea that if you just spam magic it'll deplete quicker/physical attacks will hold the stagger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608747

Well, there we go. My first thread so I assume it's a bit poo poo but whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is the entirety of FFXII like the opening cinematic? Like, Lord of the Rings: Star Wars Plus Chocobos? Because that seems pretty fun, I like the way the combat is set up and the look of the early areas is pretty cool. I won't keep playing it because I want to play the IZJS version but my laptop can't really keep up and there's tons of stutter and lag in cutscenes. Gameplay is fine, runs at a full 60 but whenever audio kicks in it just drops the framerate by half or more.

Seems like a cool game, hope they come out with a console version after the FFX/X-2 rerelease.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

Is the entirety of FFXII like the opening cinematic? Like, Lord of the Rings: Star Wars Plus Chocobos? Because that seems pretty fun, I like the way the combat is set up and the look of the early areas is pretty cool. I won't keep playing it because I want to play the IZJS version but my laptop can't really keep up and there's tons of stutter and lag in cutscenes. Gameplay is fine, runs at a full 60 but whenever audio kicks in it just drops the framerate by half or more.

Seems like a cool game, hope they come out with a console version after the FFX/X-2 rerelease.

Its a game about political intrigue in a desert kingdom situated between two powerful empires in a protracted cold war and the various players and schemers trying to come out ahead. Then it stops being about that roughly 2/3rds of the way through and barrels towards the ending leaving you feeling like a good 1/3rd of the game is missing.

It still a ton of fun* even if it has one of the most irritating mandatory town sidequests in Final Fantasy history.

*IZJS only. Vanilla is an acquired taste.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

crestfallen posted:

You can, sort of. Elephant Gun (I think that's her name?) did a let's break FF6 LP and she does exactly that.

It was easier to just punch in a game genie code and go around wrecking poo poo with Leo and the Shock skill.

1st AD posted:

Cyan still kind of stinks in FF6 mobile, because the charge times on his sword tech is still crappy even if it no longer holds up everybody else's turn. So should I imp him later or maybe make him into a Dragoon?

Replace him with someone useful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Okay so, Because I hate myself I'm getting back into FF13-2 to get done with the super bosses done before I move on to LR.

What's the optimized level up guide for this again? I remember it was something like "[X] job on Odd levels"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I remember last thread, or maybe way earlier in this thread, someone wrote up a great list that had why every Final Fantasy game was the worst in the series. Anyone have it saved?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've started fighting the DLC bosses in XIII-2 and I'm having a surprisingly easy time of it. Omega dropped like a sack of bricks and I got his crystal to boot, though I'm sticking with Tonberry for now. It was hilarious watching Lightning bust out Army of One on him while he just kind of glanced around like a fly was buzzing near his ear. The little guy's built like a brick shithouse.

I'm mostly interested in getting the crystals for Lightning and Pupu, though I imagine it's going to take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Okay so, Because I hate myself I'm getting back into FF13-2 to get done with the super bosses done before I move on to LR.

What's the optimized level up guide for this again? I remember it was something like "[X] job on Odd levels"

When to use a large node:
*As Serah*
-To level Ravager
-To level SAB if current SAB level is even.
-To level SYN if current SYN level is even.
-To level Commando (if none of the above are possible)

*As Noel*
-To level Commando
-To level SAB if current SAB level is odd
-To level SYN if current SYN level is even
-To level Ravager (if none of the above are possible)

And I guess the other roles whenever.