Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

KirbyJ posted:

Current Bundle of Holding is Over The Edge!

I find myself out of my depth on this one. I've barely heard of it, so how do you guys feel about it?

It's a stunning idea generator/amazing setting, but mechanically it is blah and doesn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's like someone took Number Six's Village, added several ounces of more modern, American conspiracy theories, and laid a veneer of a banana republic shifting to a tourism-based economy on top. Wonderful, wonderful setting if you're into that sort of Illuminated weirdness.

As a game, the mechanics are pretty much there so you don't have to handwave everything. Excising them and the metaplot (which is an amazing rear end in a top hat of a thing) isn't too difficult at least.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Also, OTE is incredibly well-suited for pulling parts of it out and putting them into other settings. The book is organized with each little location or faction having its own section, so you could pull out anything from Total Taxi to Alien Conspiracies #1, 2, or 3 and throw them in any other game. Al Amarja is literally a libertarian paradise, down to the fact that the entire city throws their garbage off a cliff and so their are people who live in it because they have nowhere else to go.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

OTE is basically my favorite game that I've never gotten to play. It is the only RPG I own all the supplements for, and the only one I've ever bought a special deluxe version of. It is basically the progenitor of all the weird-conspiracy RPGs of the last 20 years. It's an amazing stew of ideas which you can pick-and-choose from, either to run a game on Al Amarja or to use in other games. The novel in the basic bundle is genuinely good, and not just from a gaming-novel perspective. The mechanics are minimal and laid-back, and I'm surprised that nobody has made an OGL game based on them yet. (They promised to open them for a long time, and finally did it around the 20th anniversary of the game.) Just writing this makes me want to go downstairs and pull the books off the shelf and start planning something...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

KirbyJ posted:

Current Bundle of Holding is Over The Edge!

I find myself out of my depth on this one. I've barely heard of it, so how do you guys feel about it?

OTE is William S. Burroughs' Interzone the RPG. It has a ridiculously simple aspect based system and is populated with clones of a middle-aged Vietnamese man.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I have the OTE 2e core book and honestly it's worth it just to read through because it's so completely off the hook. I'm tempted to get this just to have the rest of the stuff because it's so drat crazy and I don't care if I never actually get to play it.

If you ever read those crazy libertopia and seasteading fiction threads that came up in GBS a year or two ago and enjoyed seeing just how nuts things could get, you should check out OTE. Take the craziest of those and stir in magical conspiracies, gnostic esoterica, weird drugs...

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 9, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Comedy option nuthin; that book is a hell of a fun read. How can you not love a game where "Young Republican" and "Hot Topic Goth" are character classes.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JDCorley posted:

It's a stunning idea generator/amazing setting, but mechanically it is blah and doesn't do anything.

It also had a crazy CCG back in the day. I think I still have a shitload of the cards in storage.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
If you haven't seen, though it's not part of the New Year's sale, transhuman RPG Eclipse Phase is also on sale for $7.50 until Tuesday on DTRPG.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Double-post, sorry!

New Bundle of Holding is up and goes down tomorrow. It's a quick reboot of the +3 bundle. This one is all novels again. Tomorrow a "large collection featuring one of the neglected gems of fantasy roleplaying games" goes up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The new bundle of holding is up. It looks like the "neglected gem of fantasy roleplaying" is the Dying Earth RPG. Never played it, but heard good things about it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Wow. This is two grail games in a row for me, here; The Dying Earth is a great game, and an amazing read, and every time I talk about it I feel like I should've gotten to play (or run) it already. The four books in the base bundle are well-chosen, the ones you'd want to start a game off right. The CoUK is an amazing thing, basically an encyclopedia of every person, place, thing and spell mentioned in the Dying Earth novels and at least a snarky note about each.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Dying Earth is fantastic. Robin Laws before he went completely into the story-games spiral he's in now. (Yes I know TDE is story-games as gently caress.) I loved the original stories and I love the RPG.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 18, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I picked up the main books from Loot a couple of years back, when Loot was still a thing. They're pretty good.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
John Wick's complete "Wicked Fantasy" Pathfinder race supplement series is collected and it's only $10 for the month of January. You can read my review of it here. Spoiler alert, it's real good.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

New (or "new") Bundle of Holding is up. This one is a return of the Bundle +4, which features:

-Psi*Run
-Witch: The Road to Lindesfarne
-How We Came to Live Here

Beat the Average:

-Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
-Monster of the Week
-Viewscream

I've wanted both Do and Monster of the Week, so I already picked this one up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Monster of the Week really is fantastic. Easily my favorite of the Powered by the Apocalypse games.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

In their e-mail sent out today, the Bundle of Holding people stated that February was going to be a slower month as they'll be focusing on a lot of backend stuff with their website (like user accounts). They said "a couple more" restarts will be coming, as well as some new stuff, then the bundles will pick up again like normal in March.

I hope they bring back the History Bundle and the Indie Treasure Trove. I want Ars Magica, 3:16, and Sorcerer!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I played Witch a while back with a group of people who were fairly new to PNP and it basically turned into Medieval Fiasco at the end. Good stuff.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Numenera is 46% off today (both print and PDF) at the newly launched Monte Cook Games store, apparently, which brings the pdf price down to about $13.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

There's a new Bundle of Revivals Holding. This one is a revival of a bunch of Kobold Press supplements for Pathfinder. I don't play Pathfinder, but maybe they could be used to mine for ideas for other campaigns? Probably going to pass on this one.

EDIT: It will end on Tuesday morning.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
New bundle of holding is live! It's the RuneQuest 6th Edition core and Book of Quests, with Monster Island, the Monster Island Companion, and an adventure called Hessarret's Treasure if you beat the average.

Help me out here goons, is this cool? I'm not super familiar with RQ.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really like RQ 6th, but I don't have any experience with any of the other books in the bundle.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
RuneQuest is the one that goes best Glorantha, right? Is that good enough cause to get it?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
ObBundle: American Freeform, focusing on crazy li'l LARPs. The only one of these I know is 1001 Nights and I love it.

Don't forget, if you're looking to buy some stuff on drivethrurpg, they have their annual "GM's Day" sale on March 4.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is up! This one is all based around the original 1980s version of Traveller. The base is:

The Traveller Book, which is like the "red box" for Traveller.
Supplement 12, which contains a ton of forms and charts about random things.
FASA's ACS-1, a small compendium of ships and equipment.
The Traveller Orientation Book, which is just a collection of free resources from the web.

You can beat the average to get:

The Atlas of the Imperium, which contains a ton of maps and charts of space.
Annic Nova, a good intro ship-crawling adventure.
The Spinward Marches Campaign, which is basically what the title says.
The Traveller Adventure, which is another campaign.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Don't let it being an old traveller edition stop you, it's still good for the only thing Traveller is good for: rolling up way too detailed planetary systems to play in a different system.

It is REALLY GOOD at getting you super detailed planets and economies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Swagger Dagger posted:

Don't let it being an old traveller edition stop you, it's still good for the only thing Traveller is good for: rolling up way too detailed planetary systems to play in a different system.

It is REALLY GOOD at getting you super detailed planets and economies.

Only system that was better at system and planet generation was SPI's Universe.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oh, hey, I just noticed when I went to the cabinet that it linked the other Bundles I've bought. When'd they start doing that?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

JackMann posted:

Oh, hey, I just noticed when I went to the cabinet that it linked the other Bundles I've bought. When'd they start doing that?

I think around the Super Asian Bundle. They're working on a full-fledged account system right now as well.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Not technically a deal, but it is a chance to get free books. My 13th Age campaign is holding a contest for fan content, and Pelgrane Press just chipped in a pair of $20 gift vouchers to give as prizes.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

If you haven't seen yet, the new Bundle of Holding is a reboot of the Bundle of the Ages:

Agon
Beat to Quarters

Beat-the-average:

Ars Magica, 5th Edition
Colonial Gothic, 2nd Edition
Clockwork & Chivalry, 2nd Edition

After this bundle ends (on Tuesday), the next bundle is going to be full of Ars Magica 4e supplements, which are "largely" compatible with 5e.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
The e-mail alert about this bundle also said they would be adding more books over the weekend and Monday (and that anybody who bought the bundle the first time around would get the new books too), but so far I haven't seen any new titles added.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Funagain.com is having a Ding and Dent sale with limited stock of stuff in lovely boxes. Not too much there, but Dixit is present, and you can get a Pathfinder core book for half off.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Currently on Lulu there is a sale on products by VSCA Publishing, the makers of such fine games as Hollowpoint and Diaspora. This is set to run until the purveyor remembers to turn off the sale, so check in!

OneBookShelf has the GM's Day Sale running. You can check out this link on DTRPG for a listing of products on sale. Get yourself some Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, Demolished Ones for Fate, or Pathfinder stuff from Rite Publishing. Buy some stuff from Sine Nomine and help support a small publisher who makes OSR games that break some new ground in that field. Buy Wold of Darkness stuff from White Wolf/Onyx Path. Buy from them or from some other worthy seller.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crossposting from the Fate thread:

I know they're outdated and such, but Legends of Anglerre, the Companion, and Starblazer Adventures $5 per PDF until the 31st. Looks like Cubicle 7's not going to renew the licenses (and admits there are better implementations) so they're doing a big sendoff sale.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

If you haven't seen yet, the latest Bundle of Holding is a collection of Ars Magica supplements for...er...4th edition. I guess they're largely compatible with 5e, though, so go hog wild, I suppose? Also comes with the 4e core book if you need that.

This bundle will end on Friday. No word of what is coming after that, as far as I know.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

The newest Bundle of Holding is set to go up in less than 5 minutes! This bundle's theme is "Fantastic Valor," based around indie heroic action RPGs. The standards are:

-Beast Hunters
-High Valor
-Jaws of the Six Serpents

Beat the average to get:

-Hellas
-Honor & Intrigue
-Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies

I don't know anything about any of these! Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, and it's up for one week.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 14, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Spincut posted:

I don't know anything about any of these! Thoughts?

Jaws of the Six Serpents and Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies are both cool if you like PDQ system games--J6S is probably my favorite implementation of the system. Oriongates is reviewing all the PDQ games over in FATAL & Friends--S7S isn't ip yet, but here's the J6S review. Jaws is pulp sword & sorcery, S7S is musketeers and pirates in a world of floating islands in a magic sky.

HELLAS is a space opera take on Greek mythology, with planets instead of city-states and hyperspace as the Aegean. It's pretty cool setting if you're down for "GREEKS... IN... SPAAAAAAAAAACE!" but man oh man, the Omni system. Get the game for the setting, then run it in Fate or Marvel Heroic or something would be my recommendation.

The other three I don't know at all, though I'm pretty sure I own Honor & Intrigue. Just never read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This probably goes here: Target's impulse-buy seasonal section (right when you walk in, where stuff is a dollar or two) has a bunch of $1 drawstring bags that are basically the most perfect dice bags.