Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

USAJobs.gov accepts resumes in gif format. Does anyone have some sweet rotating skulls and fireballs I can use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

hire me faget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RH2_9ah7pk

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
What if you don't think you'd like the job? I'd hate being stuck in front of a screen for 8 hours, I don't like puzzles, and overall I just think I'd find it really boring. But you guys are saying you're 'retarded not to apply'. Really? :/ That good?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

What if you don't think you'd like the job? I'd hate being stuck in front of a screen for 8 hours, I don't like puzzles, and overall I just think I'd find it really boring. But you guys are saying you're 'retarded not to apply'. Really? :/ That good?

It's not for everyone. I'd still apply though. So many pilots where I work, and instead of hating your flying job you make enough money to fly on the side and have fun while doing it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I love flying but you never know what could happen in the future. I would gladly take an ATC job and fly on the side, but being 31 that is not an option

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The Slaughter posted:

Go to a tower only. There aren't that many tower-onlies that pay as much as up/downs or centers, but they exist. Tower is freaking awesome. Make your own air show and be the center point of the airport.

fknlo posted:

It's not for everyone. I'd still apply though. So many pilots where I work, and instead of hating your flying job you make enough money to fly on the side and have fun while doing it.

Exactly this. This is probably an exaggeration, but it seems half of my co-workers fly and use this as a means to fund it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Oh, and I remember someone wanted a LASIK update: fantastic fantastic decision. Slight problem with my AME/LASIK doc, it wasn't as easy getting the go ahead as they said it would be. The first eye exam was 24 hours after the surgery and mentioned how I had a little bit of a glow around lights and vision was at that point a bit unstable, even though it was 20/15. When my AME saw that, he said basically "if you go flying based off that exam the FAA will tilt their axis, because glare/halos/unstable vision are basically what's on their radar after this surgery, they don't want you having those problems". I told my AME well, basically, that exam was literally 24 hours after the surgery, and since that time all those problems went away and I had been night driving with no issues. So the AME said "then you need to go back, get another eye exam, get that documented in your chart, and send it over to me". After that, once he had in hand, he was like "okay, this is good, we'll send it to aeromed now and you should be good to go for flying." I went back to flying ~6-7 days after the surgery and I was fortunate to heal quickly but I can see how for some people they would be out of commission for longer if they're having nighttime halos/starbursts etc. I'm fortunate in that I don't typically have to do much night flying, but at this point I'm not concerned because my night vision is actually far better now than it was with contacts. Daytime, it's awesome. A little disappointed I can't spot tiny GA traffic 12 miles out still, but hey, the view from the cockpit is improved and I noticed I spotted an airport as well as some traffic before my copilot this week. Last exam had me at 20/15 in both eyes but I'm still able to get most of the letters on the 20/10 chart.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Do you have to have a college degree to work as an ATC? Technically, I'm a college drop-out. Also, how much choice do you have in where you end up working? I wouldn't want to be stuck working like Fargo approach or a tower in the middle of no where (especially the south!).

I'm torn. I really like my job and the current field I'm in but I'm getting fed up waiting for a certain opportunity and I just turned 27 the other day.

I do love flying though (I wanted to be an airline pilot when I graduated high school) and I have my instrument rating but ATC never really appealed all that much to me. High-stress jobs have always been my thing though.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

IceLicker posted:

Do you have to have a college degree to work as an ATC? Technically, I'm a college drop-out. Also, how much choice do you have in where you end up working? I wouldn't want to be stuck working like Fargo approach or a tower in the middle of no where (especially the south!).

I'm torn. I really like my job and the current field I'm in but I'm getting fed up waiting for a certain opportunity and I just turned 27 the other day.

I do love flying though (I wanted to be an airline pilot when I graduated high school) and I have my instrument rating but ATC never really appealed all that much to me. High-stress jobs have always been my thing though.

I believe the requirement is four years of college/degree, three years progressive work experience or a combination of both. This should help determine if you qualify: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/undergrad1c.html#5.

Apparently the new plan as far as placement (might only be for towers, not sure about centers) is that you finish the academy and based on your score/abilities you select from a list of facilities with a need. When I went through I got to pick two states and they picked one of the states and sent you to a facility that needed people. The new placement system should give you some more choice depending on how you do. It's a great job, why not give it a shot?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IceLicker posted:

You need three years of full time, "PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE WORK EXPERIENCE," or a four-year degree. Or an instrument rating. Or 350 hours. Or some combination of all of the above.

According to the rumormill, the new hiring process will sort you into the terminal and center pipelines, and then send you to academyland. Once you graduate the academy, your class will have pick of facilities on a highest-score picks first basis. However, it will also be based on the needs of the agency. Graduated first in your class, and you really want Atlanta Center? Theres a very real possibility that Atlanta might not have any hiring slots at the time you graduate. Hope you like Los Angeles.

All that said, its still a ridiculous opportunity. I never finished my degree either, and even though I just squeaked in, am older than both of my trainers, a solid majority of the CPCs in my area, and looking at being at the bottom of the seniority list in my area for the next decade or two, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm extremely lucky.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IceLicker posted:

Do you have to have a college degree to work as an ATC?

Literally just need a GED and work experience. That's it.

quote:

All that said, its still a ridiculous opportunity. I never finished my degree either, and even though I just squeaked in, am older than both of my trainers, a solid majority of the CPCs in my area, and looking at being at the bottom of the seniority list in my area for the next decade or two, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm extremely lucky.

Me too! :hfive:

Minus the no degree part.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
uhhh hello why would you go do that, there's a pilot shortage coming! orville wright told me just the other day

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Ferret King posted:

Need to be hired by your 31st birthday

So I just need to hop in my time machine and go back almost 20 years and I can apply!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

So I just need to hop in my time machine and go back almost 20 years and I can apply!

I would say that if you have a time machine, you are the one exception to the "you should apply or you're dumb" rule.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
At the risk of creating a redundant thread, I made an effort post in A/T specifically regarding ATC hiring and the job in general

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think that is redundant, I'm getting flooded with questions and stuff too. Good idea I say.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

On anti-anxiety/depressants, 10mg once daily. How much would this screw with my chances of making the ATC cut?

Also, any gauge on typical desirability for facilities in Ohio? I've got some family business interests in Eastern OH, so if I decided to go the ATC route and could get Columbus or Dayton, I'd have it made. :getin:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

On anti-anxiety/depressants, 10mg once daily. How much would this screw with my chances of making the ATC cut?

Also, any gauge on typical desirability for facilities in Ohio? I've got some family business interests in Eastern OH, so if I decided to go the ATC route and could get Columbus or Dayton, I'd have it made. :getin:

You can't be on them and control. You'd have to be off them for a certain amount of time and then be evaluated by an FAA designated psych doctor and probably take an expensive battery of tests. You'd need to be free of the underlying condition's diagnosis before they'd issue an airmen's medical.

There are certain anti depressants that are now allowed for use by pilots after a 1yr evaluation period and a bunch of tests. There are only 3 or 4 specific drugs allowed though and it's currently not an exception that's available for ATC.

These guys may be able to help: https://www.aviationmedicine.com/

I got a weird security certificate message on that website but I've been there a lot before and never had a problem. Our Union uses them. I'm going to add this question to the ATC information/hiring thread if you don't mind, because I know it's going to come up quite a bit.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 12, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Best TSA rant I've heard in awhile. Absolutely hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkMqOtQNJNk

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Just finished my first block of Q400 sim training tonight.

After 3 weeks of ground school, getting into the "airplane" was a nice change, even if I was somewhat behind the airplane during the first lesson. The FMS makes life really easy during approaches (we never have to level off for stepdowns on an approach), and aside from the yaw damper being completely useless (it can't keep the airplane coordinated in normal turns with both engines operating), the Q400 isn't difficult to hand fly.

We didn't do engine failures on takeoff yet, but did get to go through procedures for runaway/stuck trims (the aileron trim will cause the airplane to do a full roll if it runs away at cruise speed and isn't caught within about 3 seconds) no-flap landings without normal braking, and various engine failures at altitude, so getting into V1 cuts in a couple days should be fun.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is this gonna be a bumpy ride? :ohdear:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Possibly?

Edit: actually, this chart plus an Airmet Tango (Turbulence) for the area suggest probably, sorry. Pilot may be able to avoid some of it though.

fordan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 12, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Thanks Ferret King. The SSRI I'm on is one of the four which is approved for an SI, but I didn't know how that related to ATC.

Republic is parking 27 ERJs and looking at giving their C-Series order the big ugly axe:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20140211-707737.html

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

fordan posted:

Possibly?

What am I looking at here?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A flight from Raleigh Durham to Miami, going through THE SNOWPACALYPSE 2014.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

the posted:

What am I looking at here?

I also edited my post to add a new image as well. It's one of the flight paths that ATC has issued in the past between between RDU and MIA with a current radar return overlaid. Showing the storm moving in.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Nah, rides out there aren't that bad today so far. Occasional light bumps in the mid-high 300s, bout it. Inland? Have fun you people flying on the east coast today.

...oh lows 300s? Hmm I don't know how much fun that will be on the ARs northbound. I'll take a check next time I go in. :P Either way, it hasn't been that bad on the ARs today.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 12, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
ECP to HOU today at 40k was pretty bumpy most of the way, HOU-a LAX I'm in the middle of and it's been smooth so far except for climb out. (Now at 38k).
Also Eagle AIP went down in flames. Woop woop! Maybe hope for this industry. :)

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I applied at Grand Canyon Airlines today after I had someone turn in my resume that works there. I don't know an awful lot about the company but it seems like a pretty cool gig. Fly twin otters in Las Vegas and give tours and transport people to get tours. Anyone ever hear anything about it?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

ECP to HOU today at 40k was pretty bumpy most of the way, HOU-a LAX I'm in the middle of and it's been smooth so far except for climb out. (Now at 38k).

Yeah, I heard they shut down the Q routes that way. I think Houston Center is pretty serious about WX not letting people get in to Mexican airspace or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Low turbulence most of the way from RDU to Miami. However we hit a HUGE bump about 30 minutes in that scared the poo poo out of me. Never had anything like that hit. Pilot cancelled the beverage service but there was nothing else that bad after.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Does anybody else here keep a commercial flight (in the back) logbook on OpenFlights or FlightMemory?

The Slaughter posted:

The union leader made it sound like their next job is to find their members at Eagle new places to work. Is this a nail in the Eagle coffin?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I applied at Grand Canyon Airlines today after I had someone turn in my resume that works there. I don't know an awful lot about the company but it seems like a pretty cool gig. Fly twin otters in Las Vegas and give tours and transport people to get tours. Anyone ever hear anything about it?

drat I remember applying to them a few years ago before I decided to focus on ATC as a career. I don't remember ever hearing back from them.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

the posted:

Low turbulence most of the way from RDU to Miami. However we hit a HUGE bump about 30 minutes in that scared the poo poo out of me. Never had anything like that hit. Pilot cancelled the beverage service but there was nothing else that bad after.

Oh, I thought you were going northbound, so when I saw AAL24 going southbound I figured it already did it's turnaround or something. I would have said something. Weather at that time was ROUGH. Moderate to severe was happening around the northern part of our sector. What's funny is the lower the better (you were 320 I think...at least initially).

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Oh, I thought you were going northbound, so when I saw AAL24 going southbound I figured it already did it's turnaround or something. I would have said something. Weather at that time was ROUGH. Moderate to severe was happening around the northern part of our sector. What's funny is the lower the better (you were 320 I think...at least initially).

What causes something like that? It was just like this low rumble that started at the front of the aircraft and than "bu-bam!" I had a g-meter going and it only registered 0.25g, which makes me seem like a total baby for freaking about it. I was even in the same row as a pilot, so I looked over at him and he was like, "This is nothing. :smug:"

edit: And I'm hoping Miami to St. Kitts will be a lot smoother?

edit:

:ohdear:

the fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 13, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The union leader made it sound like their next job is to find their members at Eagle new places to work. Is this a nail in the Eagle coffin?

American has said they want to shut down Eagle/Envoy, but it's not clear they can do so without shooting themselves in the foot.

Most of the regional airlines are struggling to find enough pilots to staff their normal schedules right now, so there's really no one that would be able to absorb the amount of flying Eagle does, especially since American would likely try and give the work to lower-paying regionals that no one is applying to work for.

The fact that the pilots currently coming into regionals largely realize that they're just a recession away from having to spend a significant amount of time at said regional doesn't help at all, since people simply aren't applying to companies that have terrible contracts and working conditions, even if there's a promise of a quick upgrade.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

the posted:

What causes something like that? It was just like this low rumble that started at the front of the aircraft and than "bu-bam!" I had a g-meter going and it only registered 0.25g, which makes me seem like a total baby for freaking about it. I was even in the same row as a pilot, so I looked over at him and he was like, "This is nothing. :smug:"

edit: And I'm hoping Miami to St. Kitts will be a lot smoother?

edit:

:ohdear:

You should be fine. The storm last night was pretty intense, but this is South Florida: If its raining now, it wont be in three hours. :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So even though I just got started on the pilot career path (as in got my PPL and just started college, nowhere close to making money yet lol) I am having second thoughts and really considering applying for ATC.

Would I be stupid not to?
I'd get veterans preference too. :o:

Can anyone help me put together a list of pros/cons for Pilot vs. ATC to help convince the wife?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
One has a future

One won't bankrupt you

One keeps the other being fun

One has job security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yes, choose ATC, and fly on the side for fun. You can still go up to CFI and train hand picked students, or do something like the Civil Air Patrol and maybe fly for free or at a big discount.

This is coming from a regional airline pilot who is fairly happy, but looking for a side telecommute job to supplement my miserable income.

• Locked thread