Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bhsman posted:

Bridge from Below getting better art and a cheaper price was awesome.

The art on a card that will always be in your graveyard is pretty irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Wait, aren't there several large online retailers that regularly corner the market on cards and artificially drive the price point up? I can't remember exactly which one was accused of doing that, but it's apparently happened more than a couple of times. Is there any way to know exactly how much of an effect that is having on Modern and Legacy prices?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I know I remember stories of Starcity being at the big Las Vegas tournament - the one with 4500 people playing Modern Masters Sealed - buying up Bobs for $50 each, cash IIRC. Like, they were clearly betting against people who were expecting the price to drop - did they then singlehandedly cause the price to rise? Hard to prove.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Some Numbers posted:

To an extent, I agree, but the old art looked weird.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Veyrall posted:

Wait, aren't there several large online retailers that regularly corner the market on cards and artificially drive the price point up? I can't remember exactly which one was accused of doing that, but it's apparently happened more than a couple of times. Is there any way to know exactly how much of an effect that is having on Modern and Legacy prices?

I think it's been documented that Star City bought the vast majority of Legacy staples a few years ago and then set the price at what they wanted.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

bhsman posted:

To an extent, I agree, but the old art looked weird.

It does, but having the FS frame made things a lot easier. FS frame + MM art would be great.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

bhsman posted:

Yeah, Ratchet Bomb really gives the deck the ability to answer to things it couldn't before, like Illness in the Ranks/Pithing Needle (for Tymaret/Trading Post)/Chained to the Rocks, Detention Sphere/Unflinching Courage, and even opposing tokens like those from Advent of the Wurm.

Were you playing this game on MTGO or in a store? I'm impressed that it's spread enough to have goons run into it.

Was on MTGO. I've faced the deck in the tourney practice room a handful of times, so it's definitely out there in the ether. I have a version I copied from this thread a while back and bought the pieces for but haven't piloted it much outside of the initial 'oooh shiny new deck' factor but it's definitely a blast to pilot and piss people off with.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Some Numbers posted:

True story, in my last Modern Masters draft, a guy had Grave from Below against me. He showed me it from his hand and asked me to explain what it did, which I did. I pretty clearly mentioned it has to be in your graveyard to have any effect on the game at all at least twice. He cast it. I looked at him confusedly and he thought for a second and said, "That was pretty stupid, huh? I think I'm going to take that out of my deck."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Was on MTGO. I've faced the deck in the tourney practice room a handful of times, so it's definitely out there in the ether. I have a version I copied from this thread a while back and bought the pieces for but haven't piloted it much outside of the initial 'oooh shiny new deck' factor but it's definitely a blast to pilot and piss people off with.

That's really interesting. I guess the overall cheapness of the deck has helped it spread more than anything else.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

bhsman posted:

That's really interesting. I guess the overall cheapness of the deck has helped it spread more than anything else.

Is there somewhere else you have the deck list posted btw? Tappedout has been offline for more than a few days now and I was looking to get in on the murdergoat boat.

EDIT: I found one of the older versions you posted in the Brewhaus but I was specifically looking for the one with the BNG updates.

2MB fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Florida Man Convicted of Magic the Gathering Related Murder, Had Claimed to Be Innocent and Blamed His Twin.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/twin-convicted-of-killing-man-over-fantasy-cards-worth-100k/

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

2MB posted:

Is there somewhere else you have the deck list posted btw? Tappedout has been offline for more than a few days now and I was looking to get in on the murdergoat boat.

TappedOut is the only place where I had it online, but I'll just reproduce my current list here:

3x Akroan Horse
3x Purphoros, God of the Forge
3x Tymaret, the Murder King
4x Young Pyromancer

1x Anger of the Gods
1x Diabolic Tutor
4x Dreadbore
3x Mizzium Mortars
3x Molten Birth

2x Beckon Apparition
2x Doom Blade
3x Hero's Downfall

2x Ratchet Bomb
3x Trading Post

4x Blood Crypt
2x Temple of Malice
9x Mountain
8x Swamp

Sideboard:

1x Akroan Horse
1x Anger of the Gods
3x Drown in Sorrow
3x Pithing Needle
3x Rakdos Charm
3x Slaughter Games
1x Trading Post

Lemme know if you have any questions.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Awesome, thank you so much. Now if I can just get MTGO to work on my college's wifi I can start learning the deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Still playing booster lottery.

STILL WINNING :v:

No, the bag is chocolates.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Bugsy posted:

It does, but having the FS frame made things a lot easier. FS frame + MM art would be great.

Did the best I could but the FS frame seems to be perfectly designed to cut off all the interesting parts of the MMA art, now matter how I gently caress around with it. Plus MSE's export does truly horrid things to image quality.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

TappedOut is the only place where I had it online, but I'll just reproduce my current list here:

Do you miss not having Mutavaults? I have two in mine but I'm thinking of dropping them (and my two Guildgates) and putting in a playset of Temples while Mutavault is still worth a ton. People have told me it's a good card in any deck and all, but with a combo deck like this I feel like the draw fixing would be more useful than a little, hard-to-kill attacker.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 14, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

2MB posted:

Awesome, thank you so much. Now if I can just get MTGO to work on my college's wifi I can start learning the deck.

No worries; generally if you're playing aggro, learn to ration your removal if you're not sure when they're going to drop something bigger, and drop Akroan Horse sooner rather than later (before Purphoros, if possible), and swap in one from the sideboard with a Trading Post. Against Control, sort of the opposite: cast removal with more impunity since they don't have as much, but save Mizzium Mortars if and when they drop a Blood Baron. Trading Post is better than Horse here, but you'll want to drop Purphoros first (since Post will cost five to drop + activate).

Other than that, have fun and please share your experiences here!

C-Euro posted:

Do you miss not having Mutavaults? I have two in mine but I'm thinking of dropping them (and my two Guildgates) and putting in a playset of Temples while Mutavault is still worth a ton. People have told me it's a good card in any deck and all, but with a combo deck like this I feel like the draw fixing would be more useful than a little, hard-to-kill attacker.

:lol: I traded my sole Mutavault to the FLGS as soon as I heard they were $40. I never ran any in my deck, though I imagine they were more useful in builds running 2 or more Pack Rats.

As for Temples, I hate that they MUST come in untapped and just leave them at 2, Scry or no. Not to mention that between Downfall, Anger, and Birth (sounds like some esoteric art display :v:) having double mana requirements, I'd rather stay away from colorless-only lands.

I'd kill to have Sulferous Springs back. :sigh: Also Damnation.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 14, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Why not both?

The general rule for Mutavault is "run as many as you can without compromising your manabase" - better duals generally give you the ability to run more Mutavaults, not less.

Unless this is a budget thing, in which case yeah, I'd definitely consider selling Mutavaults while they're high.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Why not both?

The general rule for Mutavault is "run as many as you can without compromising your manabase" - better duals generally give you the ability to run more Mutavaults, not less.

Unless this is a budget thing, in which case yeah, I'd definitely consider selling Mutavaults while they're high.

Honestly budget might be the biggest part of it. Shortly before I finished my build I got a new job, where the hours and commute make it impossible for me to attend any weeknight events at my LGS, so I've only played the deck against people a few times since last fall. I'm sure it's a good card but I'm not getting $70 worth of value out of the two that I have, even if I paid half of that for the pair initially.

Maybe I'll wait to see if Faeries gets a foothold in Modern before making a call. Or maybe I'll stick them in my Modern "Goblins" deck once they rotate :shepface:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Did the best I could but the FS frame seems to be perfectly designed to cut off all the interesting parts of the MMA art, now matter how I gently caress around with it. Plus MSE's export does truly horrid things to image quality.

It exports in 96 dpi for whatever the gently caress

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

This is actually kind of cool. It's the only time I haven't absolutely hated that frame, even if it does diminish the sense of scale in that particular piece of art.

edit: In general I think that frame is just more suited to the clean, obviously computer-generated art style. The art on stuff like Goyf, Mindcensor, and the old Bridge just look out of place.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jabor posted:

Why not both?

"I can choose between a colorless land that can't cast this Anger of the Gods, or a tapland that can't cast this Anger of the Gods" is a compromised manabase.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LordSaturn posted:

"I can choose between a colorless land that can't cast this Anger of the Gods, or a tapland that can't cast this Anger of the Gods" is a compromised manabase.

Pretty much. Personally, I run 2 Mutavaults max in any deck that is sufficiently mixed to require a full set of (by which I mean 8 or more) CIPT lands.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
SCG just canceled their Somerset Open for anyone who was planning on going. (Like myself)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LordSaturn posted:

Then you can just not run the taplands if untapped mana is that important to you.

The limiting factor is how colour-intensive your spells are - having access to better duals (scrylands instead of guildgates) is never going to decrease the number of Mutavaults you can run.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

mcmagic posted:

SCG just canceled their Somerset Open for anyone who was planning on going. (Like myself)

Yea, I was. Too bad for everyone that got hotels for the weekend.

Here's the official announcement, and public forum outcry:
https://www.facebook.com/StarCityGames/posts/10151973580522918

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Re: Conspiracy cards

I bet they print some janky Scrambleverse that, when drafted, shuffles everyones pools together, and then doles them out evenly and randomly again.

Or a janky Control Magic that, when drafted, can steal a card from another person's pool and exchange it with the Control Magic you just pulled.

I'm interested to see what actually gets made.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I really hope they print a card that lets you change ownership of cards midgame.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Calm down, guys. They aren't going to let you swap ownership of cards. Ever.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I bet they print some janky Scrambleverse that, when drafted, shuffles everyones pools together, and then doles them out evenly and randomly again.
This would ruin drafting. Okay, now everyone has completely random cards distributed evenly among the colors, good luck!

It would be like a super variable 3-pack sealed. Which would be terrible.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

When this card is drafted, reverse the direction in which the booster packs are being passed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

When this card is drafted, reverse the direction in which the booster packs are being passed.

Why would you even suggest this?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

Calm down, guys. They aren't going to let you swap ownership of cards. Ever.

Ahem :colbert:

EDIT: Oh, piffle. Tempest Efreet then.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

I said aren't. I did not say haven't. Note that Jeweled Bird is an ante card, something that is no longer supported, either.

Geez.

EDIT: And Jeweled Bird doesn't even swap ownership of cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

There was someone at an SCG playing Thopter Combo in Legacy that used those as thopter tokens. I think it was in 2010.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Official announcement of Conspiracy

Important: Conspiracy will not be available online, but certain cards from the set will be in Vintage Masters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

There are sixty-five new cards in Conspiracy. Fifty-two of the new cards will be legal in Legacy and Vintage; thirteen cards will not.
Bronze Tablet reprint incoming

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

quote:

There are sixty-five new cards in Conspiracy. Fifty-two of the new cards will be legal in Legacy and Vintage; thirteen cards will not.

I really wonder how this will be executed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Have they printed any new cards that aren't legal in legacy/vintage? Even cards that would do nothing (commander/planechase cards) are legal, because people just wouldn't use them.

edit: Mental Misstep in legacy, but that was a power-ban and not a preemptive won't-be-legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Have they printed any new cards that aren't legal in legacy/vintage? Even cards that would do nothing (commander/planechase cards) are legal, because people just wouldn't use them.

Right, they would have to indicate on the card somehow that they aren't legal.

We might get thirteen silver bordered cards.

• Locked thread