Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Could work, yeah. Depends on the angle you get coming off the tailpiece. Just check that out before you screw it on and you should be good to go.

edit: you might have to do something about keeping tension pulling the bridge towards the neck.

muike fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Declan MacManus posted:

Couldn't I theoretically just run the strings over the saddles on the wraparound instead of replacing the bridge?

Yeah, that's totally fine. Gibson's been doing it that way since the early sixties on their juniors.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know what is wrong with me but I'm really enjoying my emg equipped Jackson in d standard lately. It sounds incredible with my OR15 at every volume. I've been slightly frustrated with the amp with most of my guitars but it shines with the actives. Usually I have to crank it too much before it sounds lively. Everything is so clear and balanced now. I've always highly preferred passive pickups but I don't think that bias is going to last. Has anyone else had a "hey actives are p cool" moment?

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone else had a "hey actives are p cool" moment?

I'm hoping i will have one of these moments soon. Have an LTD that came loaded with emgs, but swapped them out for duncans which i haven't been overly fond of with the amps im using at the moment. Maybe i'll be nicely suprised, im pretty sure anything i put in there will have to sound better than the Invader its got at the moment. Yuck.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Declan MacManus posted:

What kind of routing/drilling would I have to do to get this installed on a wraparound style guitar?

Just pay a few $$ more and get a bigsby that will fit your LP properly. Not worth messing with something that requires too many modifications. If you go to someone who really knows they are doing, they will charge you more for the mod than you would have paid for the bisgby piece you can install yourself.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Does anyone know of a cool place to look at diagrams of how pickups are assembled?

Not the wiring diagram or anything, I'm just curious how the different kinds of pickups are assembled.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone else had a "hey actives are p cool" moment?

I had a strat with active EMG single coils. It was actually pretty nice.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

adary posted:

Just pay a few $$ more and get a bigsby that will fit your LP properly. Not worth messing with something that requires too many modifications. If you go to someone who really knows they are doing, they will charge you more for the mod than you would have paid for the bisgby piece you can install yourself.

It's a wraparound bridge, you can't mount a Bigsby on it without installing another set of studs in it.

Anyways, monster cable folks: GC's deal with Monster is ending and they're going to stop carrying their products so I'd recommend swapping out cables now before you go into that long dark winter of being unable to abuse their generous warranty

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear
Trying to identify a guitar in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTT3VPriV8 (what the guy on the left is playing)

Here's a still shot: http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/1gSItWgpKe0/hqdefault.jpg

I thought it was a Vox Mark XII, but the mystery guitar has a symmetrical headstock which the Vox doesn't, and also has two volume/tone dials whereas the Vox has three.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Figured it out. It's a Danelectro Bellzouki. Second question: is he playing it in the song? (the second guitar that comes in)

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 14, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Probably too early for it to be a Japanese copy and other than them I don't know of any other companies that made the tear drop style. Could be a prototype.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Quick string question: I'm going to change out the stock strings on my Epi Les Paul with some medium gauge D'Addarios (11-15-19-28-37-50). Do I need to worry about messing with the nut or will they just go right in?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What'd you have before? If it was like 10-42, yeah you might have some issues, but 10-46? Yeah, but less so

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
I haven't seen Agreed posting in here lately, but I'll ask about picks anyway. I'm pretty lovely at picking, having trained to fingerpick my whole life, and I've recently been handed some music with some tricky fast picking (think shifting triplets, sixteenths, and sixteenth-quintuplets at 120).

The best thing I've found for it is: http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Primetone-picks (the long, weird one on the upper left) - for some reason its fat smoothness makes fast, light picking on a single string really easy. It's weird, because normally I prefer pretty light (~.7-.8) picks, but those don't seem to do as well with the really fast precise stuff on a single string.

Obviously picking is a very subjective thing, where it seems like almost everyone basically does their own thing, but I would really welcome suggestions of other picks that are a.) similar to the one I like so far, or b.) also good for what I describe. Preference will be given to picks that are easily available and not :10bux:, though I would love to try those eventually.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In my opinion you should grab one pick, doesn't matter which one, and practice with it. Any thickness, any shape, any color. Sixteenth notes at 120 should be easy for most people to reach with 5 legitimate minutes of practice each day to a metronome.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

muike posted:

What'd you have before? If it was like 10-42, yeah you might have some issues, but 10-46? Yeah, but less so

The stock strings are 10-46. I'm assuming if I decide to drop the string gauge back down I'll need a new nut (if I have to do any kind of light filing to fit the new strings)?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

firebad57 posted:

I haven't seen Agreed posting in here lately, but I'll ask about picks anyway. I'm pretty lovely at picking, having trained to fingerpick my whole life, and I've recently been handed some music with some tricky fast picking (think shifting triplets, sixteenths, and sixteenth-quintuplets at 120).

The best thing I've found for it is: http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Primetone-picks (the long, weird one on the upper left) - for some reason its fat smoothness makes fast, light picking on a single string really easy. It's weird, because normally I prefer pretty light (~.7-.8) picks, but those don't seem to do as well with the really fast precise stuff on a single string.

Obviously picking is a very subjective thing, where it seems like almost everyone basically does their own thing, but I would really welcome suggestions of other picks that are a.) similar to the one I like so far, or b.) also good for what I describe. Preference will be given to picks that are easily available and not :10bux:, though I would love to try those eventually.

Two things:

1. You can probably solve your problem just working more with dedication to sort of fill in the gaps in your skill-set; it's no crime to kinda suck at what you haven't practiced :) So before you invest more in picks, invest more time in picking. There really are no shortcuts to filling in some blank in your technique library, it's all a matter of practice.

2. With regard to picks, if you dig the Primetone picks, they're more or less directly, ah, inspired by Wegen picks - don't commit unless you can state with some real surety that you love that pick, because Wegen picks that are that thick are like $15-$25 a pop. They're pretty much indestructible and own bones, whereas the material that Dunlop is using is an injection molded polycarbonate and the bevel and especially tips on them aren't comparably good, just my opinion. The Wegen 7 for example is EASILY the most straightforward, simple to use thick pick. His material is stronger, a little lighter, brighter attack, and the workmanship is much better. In particular it's easy to see in the difference between the Primetones' bevels and Wegen picks' bevels. Not that it should come as a surprise, given the price difference and the fact that they're put there by hand, but it is just really obviously much more carefully crafted.

Elderly Instruments is a good store and sells Wegen picks, one of only two U.S. dealers (and I strongly recommend that over buying direct, communication can be an issue going direct).

I know you said preference for inexpensive picks, but the thing you like is a not-so-great copy of an excellent pick by a renowned pick maker, so having the original might end any kind of "pick search" in one step for you. There are still good affordable alternatives, of course, just none that are so close to exactly what it is you're probably digging about the Primetone (but a lot better in every regard except price).

A cheaper alternative might be the V-Picks Screamer, which is sort of like a cross between a Medium Pointed and a Diamond, but in the 2.75mm thickness. That one's closer to the Primetone in price.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also don't be afraid of getting good at picking using your preferred .7 picks. Paul Gilbert famously uses .6mm picks and he is good as hell at picking.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Being pretty new at all this, I decided to give a few guitars a spin at a local chain store. I tried out a $500 Epiphone semi-acoustic, and found out pretty quickly that the 18th fret on the B string was just hosed. It played the 19th tone, unless I put serious pressure on it, and then the tone was way sharp anyway.

Thinking that was sort of poo poo, I inquired about it, and the guy told me "Yeah, stuff like that happens, but we'll fix it".

Now, like I said, I'm new to this, but if I pay $500 for an instrument, I expect the basics (like the loving frets) to work out of the box. Is that horribly presumptuous of me?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Black Griffon posted:

Being pretty new at all this, I decided to give a few guitars a spin at a local chain store. I tried out a $500 Epiphone semi-acoustic, and found out pretty quickly that the 18th fret on the B string was just hosed. It played the 19th tone, unless I put serious pressure on it, and then the tone was way sharp anyway.

Thinking that was sort of poo poo, I inquired about it, and the guy told me "Yeah, stuff like that happens, but we'll fix it".

Now, like I said, I'm new to this, but if I pay $500 for an instrument, I expect the basics (like the loving frets) to work out of the box. Is that horribly presumptuous of me?

If it's setup properly and had problems then yeah, that's a bad thing. Off a guitar store wall you can't really ever expect a guitar to feel/play right. If you're really interested then tell them to set it up for you and go from there.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I guess it was pretty much off the wall, yeah, so maybe I shouldn't complain on that point. But what really got me was the attitude he had about the whole thing and the fact that the fret thing just seemed like lovely craftsmanship. He was a nice guy, but I really got the sense that he was happy to just sell poo poo and deal with it later. From what I've read about Guitar Center, the chain I'm talking about is pretty much the Scandinavian equivalent.

At the end of the day, it's not that important. When I do buy a new guitar, I'm probably gonna get it from an old Scottish dude who's been playing and building guitars for forty years. He knows his poo poo and comes heavily recommended from several musician friends. Problem is that if I want to get my hands on a bass (which is something I want to do eventually), the only place around is that chain store, unless I buy used or travel to another city.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I recommend buying used. Get something well-made. I had a cheap epiphone 12-string that I kept taking in for setups because the strings always buzzed. The tech finally told me to buy a better guitar because there wasn't anything else he could do with it.

I bought a Guild D25-12 used for six hundred after that, and still have it 20 years on.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Gorgar posted:

I recommend buying used. Get something well-made. I had a cheap epiphone 12-string that I kept taking in for setups because the strings always buzzed. The tech finally told me to buy a better guitar because there wasn't anything else he could do with it.

I bought a Guild D25-12 used for six hundred after that, and still have it 20 years on.

At least with cheap bolt-on guitars, there's a little more work that can be done to straighten them out. Set neck? You're pretty much hosed beyond normal adjustments.

On pick chat, I bought that pile of them from iostream last week and started just farting around with the thickness. Why does .38 even exist? I think I got about three strums with it.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I use .38s and or .60s and I have never done that. I didn't even know it was possible to do that.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

spamman posted:

I use .38s and or .60s and I have never done that. I didn't even know it was possible to do that.

Double attack mod, yo.

I usually use .60 myself, and was totally fine with .48 last night. I just tried one of the .38s and was immediately holding two pieces of pick.

EDIT:\/\/\/ in the world of cheap guitars though, the bolt on can be king for repairs. Liking them or not is complete preference and I understand as I'm leaning slowly away from them myself it seems.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 15, 2014

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I break .38s all the time. Or did, until I stopped using them. They were good for not getting that plastic snappy sound while strumming.

And I think I have one bolt on neck out of 20, on the token Strat. I don't really like them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Anything thinner than .40 and I'd want something like carbon fiber or brass.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

At least with cheap bolt-on guitars, there's a little more work that can be done to straighten them out. Set neck? You're pretty much hosed beyond normal adjustments.

On pick chat, I bought that pile of them from iostream last week and started just farting around with the thickness. Why does .38 even exist? I think I got about three strums with it.

Maybe the picks are heat-damaged or getting old? They can be good for stuff like ukuleles or I guess nylon strings for that matter.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

A long long time ago when I first started playing I used .46mm picks sometimes, .60mm picks sometimes, and topped out around .8mm. I found them easy to strum with. I also played with much lighter strings back then; it was when I was in the very early stages of learning how to play at all, and all that stuff was just much easier for me than thicker strings or thicker picks or any of that. Stripped it down to the simplicity of learning strumming patterns and working between (usually open, to this day I still use a lot of open strings if I can fit them in musically) chords.

I remember breaking some of the really thin picks pretty quickly even back then. I didn't have an especially heavy hand, in retrospect, though it was heavier-handed and less nuanced by far than my current playing.

Despite my deserved reputation as a thick pick lover, I do still have a few just-a-bit-over .5mm metal picks manufactured by Clayton for Hufschmid; they're stainless steel, and they're the thinnest picks I keep around at all. Not at all my go-to picks but they are fun to break out now and again to remind myself of interesting/odd stuff with really thin picks without risking breaking them.

My favorite metal pick is the Dugain Minidug brass model, the forefinger sculpture and indent plus the kickass bevel on it makes it loads of fun to play. Good for technique in my opinion because the forefinger sculpture forces you to hold it correctly, though some will find that to be restrictive if they use an unconventional picking grip. Regardless I don't know why he doesn't offer it anymore, I'm very pleased that I have one at least; now your choices are, I believe, bronze or sterling silver. I'm sure a bronze one would sound fine, I used a pick made from a thick ride cymbal for a while and thought it sounded good so I can't see why a Dugain bronze pick wouldn't sound great too.

Second favorite is the Dunlop Techpick Brass. I was worried they'd be discontinued for a while, but that turned out to be a misplaced concern. I don't at all care for the aluminum version but the brass is great.

Metal picks are really interesting to play. I agree that if you're going to use thin picks, going with metal can save some serious headache in terms of pick breakage. Though you might be surprised at the plasticity over time of certain metals in (especially thinner) picks if your expectation is that they'll keep their point over a longer period; especially thin ones can deform in unusual ways quite quickly, sometimes taking on the grip shape of your picking hand and bending to sort of have a scooped point. Similar to how strings exhibit plasticity from repeated pick impact that eventually contributes to their inability to intonate properly.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
Hey all, first time posting in this thread. I just wanted to show off my Valentine's Day gift to myself because no one loves me

I originally started off with borrowing my roommate's Taylor for like six weeks, decided I enjoyed it enough to buy my own, and picked up a used Seagull Entourage Rustic in really good shape. After a few more weeks of that, he told me he had a old beat-up Squier Strat and spare amp he could let me borrow if I gave him a ride to his parent's house to go get it.

I found that I quite liked playing electric guitar and found this PRS Custom 22 SE for like $300 off of Craigslist. Met up with the guy and he mentioned that he had upgraded the pickups with DiMarzio somethings and threw in a PRS gig bag as well. Only problem I could really find on it was a tiny ding on the back and the volume pot is starting to go. Pretty cool older fellow. My roommate and I actually ended up chatting with the guy for a good twenty minutes, just shooting the poo poo with him about music and how you can find six guitar players with a single CL post but struggle to find just one bassist.

I've played and learned more guitar in the past three months that I did in the year and a half I had a Strat and P-Bass when I was 14. I'm basically hosed if I don't end up rich because I want a SG and a Les Paul and a sweet new amp for when I return my roommate's back to him.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

In my opinion you should grab one pick, doesn't matter which one, and practice with it. Any thickness, any shape, any color. Sixteenth notes at 120 should be easy for most people to reach with 5 legitimate minutes of practice each day to a metronome.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I'll be trying a lot of it, so thanks.

I just want to add (motivated by filthy pride): it's not the 16ths at 120 that make these passages difficult for me, it's the mixed-in 16th-quintuplets. Their increased speed, combined with flipping my alternation pattern, messes with me. But as you say, nothing that can't be fixed with practice, and it's pretty good practice.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

firebad57 posted:

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I'll be trying a lot of it, so thanks.

I just want to add (motivated by filthy pride): it's not the 16ths at 120 that make these passages difficult for me, it's the mixed-in 16th-quintuplets. Their increased speed, combined with flipping my alternation pattern, messes with me. But as you say, nothing that can't be fixed with practice, and it's pretty good practice.

Can you post a .mid file? I'd like to give this a try.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Does anyone know where I can get pickup adjustment screws for an Epiphone SG? They're not the same as Gibson pickup adjustment screws.

I've found some on Ebay, but they're $14 for two god drat screws. My local music stores haven't been much help either.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Nostratic posted:

The stock strings are 10-46. I'm assuming if I decide to drop the string gauge back down I'll need a new nut (if I have to do any kind of light filing to fit the new strings)?

Don't file anything yourself if you don't know exactly what you are doing and want to achieve.

On my LP i went through everything from 7-34 to 11-48 and never had a single issue with the stock nut. Not a single slot needed any adjustments for any of the gauges. I guess if I went for heavier set like 11-52, I might have to file a bit for 5th and 6th strings, but then i'm one of them folks who are very convinced they know what they're doing :)

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Koth posted:

Does anyone know where I can get pickup adjustment screws for an Epiphone SG? They're not the same as Gibson pickup adjustment screws.

I've found some on Ebay, but they're $14 for two god drat screws. My local music stores haven't been much help either.

http://www.allparts.com/GS-0396-001-Nickel-Metric-Humbucker-Mounting-Screws_p_1808.html

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Probably a simple question here but how the hell do you vibrato an open 6th string without a trem? There's a rocksmith custom for Black Sabbath's Electric funeral that wants me to play:

code:
              H   P         H   P
A|--------2---3---2~~---------------------|
E|--0~~0~~-----------0~~2---3---2~~0------|
    V~~V~~        V~~V~~        V~~
Would you just play an octave double stop E and vibrato the higher E on the 2nd fret 4th string or is there a better trick?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Iommi presses on the string behind the nut to do that effect.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

Iommi presses on the string behind the nut to do that effect.

Yeah on Iron Man, and even then it was to slowly raise then lower the pitch instead of a vibrato.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I can see vibrato that way being possible with his prosthetic fingertips but not bare flesh unless you want to wear through a regular callous.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's more finger strength than callus, really. Unless you have little bitch boy fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
You can pull and push on the neck to achieve that effect too, some people think its a bad idea but I've been doing that to my guitars forever and they seem fine.