Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

I do know a motherboard with ECC and 8 SATA ports, as that's the one I'll be using in my future build. As for using ECC, I'm sure there are plenty of people who use non-ECC memory for their zfs pools and don't have problems but it's just a matter of time if the problems catch up with them before they retire their pool or not.

Assuming your 1080p rips are ripped from bluray with x264 at crf=~15-20, you get a estimated bitrate of no more than 20Mbps plus a maximum of ~700kbps flac audio, you're looking at no more than 5MBps for two streams.

Excellent, thanks again. Looks like my build may end up mirroring yours, I'll try to report back when I've got it all together. And yeup, fully understand it's just a matter of time concerning non-ECC, just so tempting to cheap out when its 1/3 the price... but peace of mind may be worth it, even if I don't have anything truly critical on the pool, 15+ TB of lost data is still... 15+ TB of lost data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wanderer89 posted:

Excellent, thanks again. Looks like my build may end up mirroring yours, I'll try to report back when I've got it all together. And yeup, fully understand it's just a matter of time concerning non-ECC, just so tempting to cheap out when its 1/3 the price... but peace of mind may be worth it, even if I don't have anything truly critical on the pool, 15+ TB of lost data is still... 15+ TB of lost data.
Kingston KVR16E11/8 is, from a quick search, within $10 of Kingston KVR16N11/8.

As for my build, you won't need as much as I'm putting into mine since I'll be using mine for ESXi 5.5 with pfSense doing routing+NAT for an 1Gbps/1Gbps FTTH, FreeNAS doing afp, smb and nfs filesharing+backup-duty for 6 machines, and OpenELEC as a HTPC which will use the vGPU feature in ESXi to pass-through a graphics card.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 10, 2014

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Gnomedolf posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a Synology DS412+. Does anyone have knowledge on how well it might run an Owncloud install?

Thanks.
Why do you want to use owncloud over the built-in DS cloud apps? I haven't tried it out but the threads I've found say it slows down the file system considerably.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Gnomedolf posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a Synology DS412+. Does anyone have knowledge on how well it might run an Owncloud install?

Thanks.

It is available on the SynoCommunity repo. I have not installed it on my 1812+ but will be installing it on a 213j soon for a client.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

bizwank posted:

Why do you want to use owncloud over the built-in DS cloud apps? I haven't tried it out but the threads I've found say it slows down the file system considerably.

I'd like to use it for calendar and contacts sync, unless there's a DS app for that.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Kingston KVR16E11/8 is, from a quick search, within $10 of Kingston KVR16N11/8.

As for my build, you won't need as much as I'm putting into mine since I'll be using mine for ESXi 5.5 with pfSense doing routing+NAT for an 1Gbps/1Gbps FTTH, FreeNAS doing afp, smb and nfs filesharing+backup-duty for 6 machines, and OpenELEC as a HTPC which will use the vGPU feature in ESXi to pass-through a graphics card.

Right but if I didn't need ECC, I'd be just fine with consumer-grade low-to-mid-range mobo and cpus.. I figure it's gonna be 300$+ to get ECC vs what I was planning before.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Fair warning: I discovered that with my setup, while ESXi did not report any sort of resource contention... having Plex transcoding within a VM running on my all-in-one while trying to play BF4 online results in all kinds of lovely lag. Any sort of non-gaming internet use was fine.

Hardware setup in mine:
Intel DQ67SWB3 motherboard
Intel i5-2400 CPU
24GB RAM (2x 8GB, 2x 4GB)
Using add-in Intel NICs for enough ports to separate things out
pfSense VM for routing
NAS4Free VM for file serving
Win7 VM for Plex

I dug up an old Celeron and installed m0n0wall on it, lag went away. I'm eventually going to separate storage out whenever I find enough spare money to pick up a Supermicro LGA1156 board, an X3430, and at least 8GB ECC.

For what it's worth - I'm up to 17.7TB raw, and with 10GB RAM assigned to my NAS4Free VM, I never see more than 50-60% utilization. I do have a 60GB SSD for L2ARC, though.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Gnomedolf posted:

I'd like to use it for calendar and contacts sync, unless there's a DS app for that.
Well Cloudstation can supposedly sync any folder you point it at, but if you're looking for it to actually serve that data instead of just storing it then some combination of Caldav, Zarafa or Directory Server might do the trick.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
On a total whim I junked my FreeNAS install, gave XPEnology a shot, and I love it so far. 100x better than my experiences with FreeNAS/NAS4Free/unRAID so far

I have 5GB set up in it right now but I have another 2GB drive as HFS+ and a 3GB of NTFS I need to transition in before I get those drives attached too.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Regarding ECC; it seems that most of the low end Haswells support it, but I'm not sure about motherboards. Do I need an expensive Intel thing or is support all in the cpu?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the motherboard is going to need to support it. If not, that'd be pretty big; the main reason I'm looking to get an X3430/X8SI* combo is because those two-generation-old motherboards are at about their lowest possible price while still being easily obtained on eBay. I'd rather do a Haswell-based Celeron or Pentium since I just don't need the CPU cycles, but a Supermicro X10* board costs so much that I'm looking at an easy $100 over the used gear.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Bing the Noize posted:

On a total whim I junked my FreeNAS install, gave XPEnology a shot, and I love it so far. 100x better than my experiences with FreeNAS/NAS4Free/unRAID so far

I have 5GB set up in it right now but I have another 2GB drive as HFS+ and a 3GB of NTFS I need to transition in before I get those drives attached too.

I'm playing with it now to potentially replace my UNRAID setup and wow the interface is slick. I am doing a lot of stress testing on the repair functionality with some lovely 80GB hdds (load to 100% and then pull one of them while the array is on) - unfortunately it kind of wigged out pretty hard and I'm struggling to restore the data properly. I've gotten it all back but now the array keeps telling me I have filesystem errors and to reboot to do a check, but I've done that three times at this point and its still showing errors. :confused:

Everything seems straightforward but the Shares section threw me for a spin. is there more to it than just exporting a share of "volume 1" with a preferred name? Is it possible to export just one folder inside of volume 1? Such as Volume 1\Backups\FriendXYZphotobackup\ ?

I'll follow up if I hit more hitches in the stress test process, but overall I love the setup. I assume for the cooler apps I need to sideload in plugins?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So I can buy a cheap couple, but I still have to buy a super expensive motherboard for ecc support? Either way can I get some examples?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm playing with it now to potentially replace my UNRAID setup and wow the interface is slick. I am doing a lot of stress testing on the repair functionality with some lovely 80GB hdds (load to 100% and then pull one of them while the array is on) - unfortunately it kind of wigged out pretty hard and I'm struggling to restore the data properly. I've gotten it all back but now the array keeps telling me I have filesystem errors and to reboot to do a check, but I've done that three times at this point and its still showing errors. :confused:

Everything seems straightforward but the Shares section threw me for a spin. is there more to it than just exporting a share of "volume 1" with a preferred name? Is it possible to export just one folder inside of volume 1? Such as Volume 1\Backups\FriendXYZphotobackup\ ?

I'll follow up if I hit more hitches in the stress test process, but overall I love the setup. I assume for the cooler apps I need to sideload in plugins?

http://www.synocommunity.com/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

e: ^^^^^Well, poo poo.

Minty Swagger posted:

I assume for the cooler apps I need to sideload in plugins?
If you haven't added SynoCommunity as a package source yet, here's how. Pretty simple and adds a couple of extra options. Other than that, I have no idea and it depends on what sort of functionality qualifies as cool to you.

I think sideloading is a thing, but that's way over my head :)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Jago posted:

So I can buy a cheap couple, but I still have to buy a super expensive motherboard for ecc support? Either way can I get some examples?
The motherboard does need to explicitly support it. You don't need to buy a "super expensive" board, but the cheapest ones I could find on NewEgg with ECC support were about $150. Not terrible, but not the $60 junk board you could buy otherwise, I suppose. That said, the $150 ones only have 4 or so SATA ports--if you want 8 on the board itself you're gonna have to shell out closer to $300.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

This rules, thanks guys. I'll keep testing with the simulated failures since I am running some funky hardware in the eyes of Xpenology (AMD mobo etc) - Its actually kind of funny, I have 5 SATA ports on the mobo and 4 in an addon card; the addon card works fine but only 4 mobo ports work, I think the 5th is some weird special chipset thing that XPEnology just doesnt have the drivers for. v:shobon:v

on my UNRAID machine, one of it's features is you can utilize a "cache disk" which can sort of be a scratch space for my MSQL db for xbmc, and playground for SABNZBD to do it's thing without having to hammer the array with reads and writes. Is there something like this that synology does? Maybe attach an external HDD or something? or is it not worth it? I'm coming from UNRAID where disk IO is the bottleneck for sure. (30-40MBPs max writing to the array when stars align is best performance) - is this just not needed on a synology unit?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Jago posted:

Just go to Newegg, select Motherboards and then choose Server motherboards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Minty Swagger posted:

This rules, thanks guys. I'll keep testing with the simulated failures since I am running some funky hardware in the eyes of Xpenology (AMD mobo etc) - Its actually kind of funny, I have 5 SATA ports on the mobo and 4 in an addon card; the addon card works fine but only 4 mobo ports work, I think the 5th is some weird special chipset thing that XPEnology just doesnt have the drivers for. v:shobon:v

on my UNRAID machine, one of it's features is you can utilize a "cache disk" which can sort of be a scratch space for my MSQL db for xbmc, and playground for SABNZBD to do it's thing without having to hammer the array with reads and writes. Is there something like this that synology does? Maybe attach an external HDD or something? or is it not worth it? I'm coming from UNRAID where disk IO is the bottleneck for sure. (30-40MBPs max writing to the array when stars align is best performance) - is this just not needed on a synology unit?

You can do ssd cache but it requires two drives I think. Might have changed in 5.x beta but I haven't checked. But you arnt gonna have that performance issue with synology since you are reading from multiple drives. My 4 drive shr2 easilly saturates gigabit and I've seen internal performance up to 400MB

Edit 5.x appears to have ssd read/write caching with one drive.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 12, 2014

toliman
Aug 24, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Edit 5.x appears to have ssd read/write caching with one drive.

to put fuel on the fire of paid-for NAS software that isn't ZFS,

UNRAID and FlexRAID both support cache drives, UNRAID on slackware, FlexRAID on Windows.

edit: i'm totally wrong. FlexRAID just reads off the drive it was writing to, updates the parity drive, then parks it.
Greyhole was what i was thinking of, Greyhole has a landing zone before it splits the data to the respective disk/vdisk/pool.

both would be fast enough for regular use, FlexRAID, you could integrate with AD and 2K8,
both seem to have zealots in the fanbase who ignore glaring faults.

So, if you had a need for non-realtime parity checksums, cache-drives, or pooled disks, either one seems like a good paid-for option.

Still not ZFS.

toliman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 12, 2014

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
It turns out either I have some bad HDDs (which are not sending red flags in xpenology which kind of sucks) or something in my hardware keeps throwing filesystem errors when the system boots/reboot. Definitely not something I'm comfortable with running for my day to day NAS. I think I need to shelve xpenology for when I buy a system (microserver or something) with more accepted drivers. I love the OS though, so nice to use! Someday. :allears:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Just ordered a single replacement drive from Newegg, was pleasantly surprised. Apologies for the potato camera.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone have any experience on the temperature increases on throwing more WD Reds into a small enclosure? Right now I'm getting totally safe (30-31C idle) temps inside my old XPC Shuttle XPEnology rig, but I realized I could easily get 3 drives in there, and potentially a 4th if I shove it in there sideways and rest it on the motherboard area. I'm just wondering if temps are going to get out of hand. I'm adding my second drive when it arrives Friday, and will probably expand to 3 in March. But 9TB of NAS storage seems like the ideal for super long-term needs and the ability to retire all my other storage-type drives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temperature depends on airflow, so unless the disk is somehow interrupting the airflow comparatively more than your current amount of drives.
The problem with getting more storage is the same as getting any storage: You end up filling it up.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

Temperature depends on airflow, so unless the disk is somehow interrupting the airflow comparatively more than your current amount of drives.
The problem with getting more storage is the same as getting any storage: You end up filling it up.

Airflow from the XPC seems to only come in from side perforations and the only really active cooling is the CPU radiator setup. There isn't much airflow in that box at all, from what I can tell. But so far so good.

I'm pretty good at not filling it all the way up unless I really care about keeping Season 1 of Community available for watching or crap like that. But yeah, historically that has proven to be more or less the case. But that's the idea, right? By the time 9TB is full I would hope that I could swap some of my 3TBs out for 8TBs or whatever is current.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

thebigcow posted:

Just ordered a single replacement drive from Newegg, was pleasantly surprised. Apologies for the potato camera.

What were you surprised about? It is the air wrap on the top? Or is that more than one drive, looks like only one to me, please don't tell me it's like 4 drives....please

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Megaman posted:

What were you surprised about? It is the air wrap on the top? Or is that more than one drive, looks like only one to me, please don't tell me it's like 4 drives....please

Newegg used to just throw a drive in a box with one of those air bags.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
I just wanted to note that my XPEnology experience was a heck of a lot better when I used it on more modern hardware.

Old:
AMD Opteron 165 (~2007 dual core, 1.8 GHz)
2 GB DDR1 (4x512 MB)
4x Western Digital Green 2TB
nVidia nForce 4 chipset

New:
Intel Core i3 3225
8 GB DDR3 (2x4 GB) - probably overkill
4x Western Digital Green 2TB
Intel H77 chipset

On the old environment I couldn't even make a successful backup from a Synology DS411j, but I can do that just fine with the i3.
- Not sure if it's the CPU, more RAM or what, but it looks like it does get better with more modern tech.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If I have a drive that was once part of a DrivePool array, is there a way to get the files off of it easily?

edit: it looks like files are just stored in hidden folders? can anyone confirm?

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 14, 2014

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

luigionlsd posted:

I just wanted to note that my XPEnology experience was a heck of a lot better when I used it on more modern hardware.

I think this was my issue, I am running some oldschool tech for my NAS and the drivers just weren't quite 100% for my goofy setup. When I buy new parts or retire my desktop or whatever, for sure going to give xpenology another try.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

AlternateAccount posted:

If I have a drive that was once part of a DrivePool array, is there a way to get the files off of it easily?

edit: it looks like files are just stored in hidden folders? can anyone confirm?

Yup, that's correct. Very handy!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hm, so if you lose the drive in your Synology setup that's running the actual OS, what happens?

edit: nm, got it, I was confused by the jankiness of the install.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 14, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Hm, so if you lose the drive in your Synology setup that's running the actual OS, what happens?

edit: nm, got it, I was confused by the jankiness of the install.

Just in case someone is wondering, the OS lives in the array so its protected by the array.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
My freenas raidz3 setup is running like a dream, and I have it backed up to a secondary freenas raidz3, but what's this XPEnology that everyone is talking about? What is the gain over a freenas? Is it worth completely redoing my setup? What will it give me over what I have now?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Megaman posted:

My freenas raidz3 setup is running like a dream, and I have it backed up to a secondary freenas raidz3, but what's this XPEnology that everyone is talking about? What is the gain over a freenas? Is it worth completely redoing my setup? What will it give me over what I have now?

Its the Synology NAS software on custom hardware.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Megaman posted:

You'll gain a shinier interface and lose ZFS.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

DNova posted:

You'll gain a shinier interface and lose ZFS.

Is losing ZFS good in this case? What would I lose it to? Would I get the equivalent of RAIDZ3?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Don Lapre posted:

Just in case someone is wondering, the OS lives in the array so its protected by the array.

Wait, my system kind of freaks out and doesn't boot if I pull the USB stick I used to do the install, I think. Is there something I need to do to ensure this is working right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, troubleshooting some unrelated items last week, I reset my CMOS and which cause my onboard Intel RAID controller to take a giant steaming poo poo all over my array's metadata. I tried a few things, but was unable to resuscitate it. Now, I've given myself over to recreating, reformatting, and refilling my array. One thing I can't seem to find anything on is if there is a way to actually back up the metadata so I don't ever have to go through the seven stages of loss for my 9TB array with 15 years of data on it again. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, my system kind of freaks out and doesn't boot if I pull the USB stick I used to do the install, I think. Is there something I need to do to ensure this is working right?

The usb stick boots the device but the OS and software live in the array. You always leave the usb stick plugged jn.