Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Why is that screw made of mud?

IT'S poo poo :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Why is that screw made of mud?

GODDAMMIT

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crowfeathers posted:

nick anderson

Yea, go back to the way it was before where you didn't gently caress around with a debt ceiling to pay for programs you already passed!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HootTheOwl posted:

Yea, go back to the way it was before where you didn't gently caress around with a debt ceiling to pay for programs you already passed!

The cartoon means we should just abolish the debt ceilings entirely.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.

Monkey Fracas posted:

That's actually just Jesus with severe psoriasis. He doesn't like being prayed to for trivial things like football games!

Or publicly at all.

Matthew 6:5-6 posted:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

VitalSigns posted:

Ah I see, so his opinion could be that sports stars should play the game and keep their personal lives to themselves, and the media should not publicize non-sports-related personal things about players. That might be a reasonable, consistent position to take.

For my part I didn't care about Tebow one way or the other (since I'm not into sports), but the vortex of Evangelical smugness and persecution complex around him was pretty spectacularly obnoxious, especially since all my football-watching friends were decidedly unimpressed with him as a football player.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Guilty Spork posted:

For my part I didn't care about Tebow one way or the other (since I'm not into sports), but the vortex of Evangelical smugness and persecution complex around him was pretty spectacularly obnoxious, especially since all my football-watching friends were decidedly unimpressed with him as a football player.

The whole saga of Tebow owes its existence entirely to his being ostentatiously Christian. Were it not for that, only dedicated football fans would even remember him as a mediocre-bordering-on-decent player who was more or less carried by a fantastic defense.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VitalSigns posted:

Except that Campbell trivializes the momentous and terrifying step of coming out of the closet in a generally hostile society as "Telling people how he likes to score".

The :qq:Why isn't everyone loving Tebow for his Christian faith :qq: hypocrisy is just icing on the cake.

There is also the hypocrisy that the news cares a lot about how other sports stars score. We heard about how Jessica Simpson supposedly threw off Tony Romo's game. We hear about Tiger Woods and his running around. We hear about Wilt Chamberlin and his "highest scoring record". We hear about Kobe and Big Ben raping women. We hear about which basketball player is sleeping with which Kardasian. We hear about all the infidelities, children, crimes, kinks, and scandals that the news can possibly find out. We get whole documentaries on the sub rosa industry for women to hook up with newly minted millionaire athletes. We have the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue dealing with hot spouses, hot women athletes, and models and who they are all sleeping with or potentially sleeping with.

The news very loving much cares about who is sleeping with whom, so to claim "so what if he is sleeping with another man" is dishonest as all hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Muir is quite the accomplished caricature artist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There isn't a single natural skin tone in that comic. Everybody has severe vitiligo.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

cheetah7071 posted:

It is impossible for anybody outside of this thread to know Obama is driving that car. The caricature goes from bad to incomprehensible when that small.

Meanwhile, the elephant is labeled GOP.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

I am just going to see if Muir upda-

:stare:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
:siren: BREAKING NEWS: scientist announce creation of world's blandest cartoon! :siren:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS: scientist announce creation of world's blandest cartoon! :siren:

Wow, that man is just aching for the sweet release of death. Having his kid and wife be so excited just accentuates how world weary and ground down that poor soul is.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Tinsley's limericks are getting worse.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tom Guycot posted:

No no, its West Virginia--not Kentucky--that's literally swimming in toxic waste.

But otherwise, an OCP cartoon.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I think that this is all an attempt by Tinsley to get my head to explode Scanners style.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

This isn't even close. There's no way he can gently caress up the meter this much unless he genuinely doesn't know what a limerick is.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

He rhymed you with you, two times. Also you with too, which he did in the last strip. Too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Attitude Indicator posted:

He rhymed you with you, two times. Also you with too, which he did in the last strip. Too.

And I'm pretty sure that the short lines aren't allowed to rhyme with the long lines to be a proper limerick, though that's much more up to debate than getting the loving meter right.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Pretty sure the "he fed dogs his uncle" story was bullshit.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

See this is the problem with Muir (well one of them anyway).

The reason that anti-gun control folks bring up Chicago is that their restrictive gun laws are supposed to hold back the law abiding populace, who then can't compete with armed criminals.

But Muir adds heavily armed cops into the mix, negating the whole point regarding gun control. Then he goes on to make some ill defined jab at Rahm Emanuel, who at this point had been mayor of Chicago for at most a year, confusing the whole thing even more. Muir really does just get some idea for a punchline (usually a tortuous and/or non-intuitive pun) and then tries to work backward from that (though not very hard mind you).

(Also a quick back of the envelope calculation of per capita GDP of Chicago came out to $60,000 which hardly screams dystopian cityscape)

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

This cartoon was brought up several times over the last few pages, and I wanted to point out a couple things that weren't mentioned.

"HOW HE PREFERS TO SCORE." Perhaps just a bad choice of words, but as we all know sexual identity is not a preference. Is it possible that Campbell is aware of this, and the wording was specifically a dig at it? Or is it just ignorance?

His main point is, "What's the big deal?" Well hopefully it won't be a big deal everything will go smoothly for Sam at the draft. However, I would not be surprised at all if he gets a chorus of homosexual slurs at the podium when he's drafted. The fact of the matter is, once he's drafted he'll be the first openly gay NFL player in a league where people only come out after they retire, and some who've openly advocated for gays have been heavily scrutinized or even cut.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

HootTheOwl posted:

Please Muir, Guy Fawkes would have established a Catholic monarch, and we all know you're a protestant guy.

People loudly latch on to the Tea Party movement as fighting for freedom, when in reality they simply want to establish a theocracy? This is one of those times where the metaphor so perfectly makes the opposite point that it's hard to believe Muir isn't trolling us.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Yaakov shares a not entirely lovely opinion for once!

quote:

Here in Israel we're in the middle of what is supposed to be our rainy season. And it's a warm, bright, and sunny day.
Haggadah Diary:
We sent a review copy of the haggadah to Rabbi Lazer Brody (bestselling writer, speaker, counselor and teacher). Lazer is a Breslev Rabbi (Breslev is a Hassidic group founded by Rebbe Nachman of Breslov (1772–1810). We just got his review:
"With Hashem's loving grace, I had the special privilege of reviewing the Dry Bones Haggada, so masterfully done by my esteemed and cherished friend, Yaakov Kirschen of "Dry Bones" fame. Yaakov's wit, artistry, love of Judaism and his love of the Jewish People graces every page of this delightful English-Hebrew Haggada, which will certainly gladden the hearts of all those who use it. What's more, this Haggada is a wonderful outreach tool in making Seder night - what some perceive to be a heavy burden - into an accessible and enjoyable experience. May the Almighty bless Yaakov with success in this endeavor, good health and long life, so he can continue to do many more wonderful things for the Jewish People. With blessings and very best wishes, Rabbi Lazer Brody, Ashdod, Israel, 13 Adar Aleph, 5774 (13.2.14)"
Our Store: store.drybones.com
Labels: Climate Change, Drought, dry bones passover haggadah, floods, Global Warming, Haggadah, Passover, Pessach, Storm, Weather

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Does Muir ever watch the movies he uses? The movie is barely about Detroit anyway, more a criticism of American foreign policy, corporate America and the militarization and dehumanization of the police force.

Also features a positive portrayal of terrorists, which is always a plus.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Yaakov shares a not entirely lovely opinion for once!

It's damning with faint praise that he at least doesn't fall into one of the dumbest camps on the planet on that specific issue.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

loquacius posted:

But the Gunpowder Treason from the rhyme was committed by Guy Fawkes. It's a rhyme about him. It wasn't made up by Guy Fawkes to describe Parliament or whatever.

As far as I can tell, most of the people in this thread seem to think the rhyme was made up by Guy Fawkes to describe Parliament or whatever.

Guys. It's one of the rhymes that children would say while begging each household in town for wood to burn Guy Fawkes in effigy each year. One of them went like this:

The fifth of November, since I can remember,
Was Guy Faux, Poke him in the eye,
Shove him up the chimney-pot, and there let him die.
A stick and a stake, for King George's sake,
If you don't give me one, I'll take two,
The better for me, and the worse for you,
Ricket-a-racket your hedges shall go.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

As far as I can tell, most of the people in this thread seem to think the rhyme was made up by Guy Fawkes to describe Parliament or whatever.

Guys. It's one of the rhymes that children would say while begging each household in town for wood to burn Guy Fawkes in effigy each year. One of them went like this:

The fifth of November, since I can remember,
Was Guy Faux, Poke him in the eye,
Shove him up the chimney-pot, and there let him die.
A stick and a stake, for King George's sake,
If you don't give me one, I'll take two,
The better for me, and the worse for you,
Ricket-a-racket your hedges shall go.

Yeah basically Muir wanted to identify his faction with Guy Fawkes the Cool Rebel from Comic Book Movie, but he also wanted to accuse people currently doing a thing he dislikes (allowing the country to continue existing) of treason. He wanted to have it both ways. This doesn't make sense if you know the origins of the rhyme, but it also doesn't make sense on its face because hey guess what treason is something rebels do. I guess what I'm saying is that Muir is dumb???

Also Facebook tells me there's a new Bennett.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Acid Haze posted:

This cartoon was brought up several times over the last few pages, and I wanted to point out a couple things that weren't mentioned.

"HOW HE PREFERS TO SCORE." Perhaps just a bad choice of words, but as we all know sexual identity is not a preference. Is it possible that Campbell is aware of this, and the wording was specifically a dig at it? Or is it just ignorance?

His main point is, "What's the big deal?" Well hopefully it won't be a big deal everything will go smoothly for Sam at the draft. However, I would not be surprised at all if he gets a chorus of homosexual slurs at the podium when he's drafted. The fact of the matter is, once he's drafted he'll be the first openly gay NFL player in a league where people only come out after they retire, and some who've openly advocated for gays have been heavily scrutinized or even cut.

ALso, I think it's important to remember that Sam was totally open to his team mates about being gay, he had a boyfriend and he didn't hide it. His big public announcement came for two reason: 1) despite never hiding it in any way, nobody assumes someone like Micheal Sam would be anything other than straight unless he's explicitly outed, and b)scouts were snooping around at his school and asking questions about his romantic life, specifically to find out if he was gay. Specifically in the context of passing him over, because as the Sports Illustrated anonymous comments showed, it is a big deal to people and Sam will suffer because of their bigotry. At least now when he doesn't get picked up right away, or at the level he deserves, people will know the real reason. By explicitly outing himself to a public that would never have assumed he was gay, he has brought the systemic bigotry of the professional sports world into the spotlight. And he did so only after they started an investigation into him like this was Harvard in the 1920's.

But yeah, I don't know why us queers have to make such a big deal about it. It's not like there's some big event going on right now related both to sports and anti-LGBT bigotry.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 14, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

...What? Is that Mother Nature's house? Or is that the only Republican on the city block? :confused:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RyokoTK posted:

...What? Is that Mother Nature's house? Or is that the only Republican on the city block? :confused:

"Republicans treat the rich better than regular people."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh I get it, the house is slightly bigger. It's incisive commentary!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cow tools.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

Two Pulitzers.

Funny thing about these is, he publishes on an investment website, right? My understanding from reading even business-oriented news sources was that the usually GOP-aligned business community was really pissed at the GOP for loving up the debt ceiling and government shutdown stuff.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The snow threw me off and I thought it was a commentary on global climate change, but its just "Republicans love the rich, eat poo poo poors."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

Funny thing about these is, he publishes on an investment website, right? My understanding from reading even business-oriented news sources was that the usually GOP-aligned business community was really pissed at the GOP for loving up the debt ceiling and government shutdown stuff.

Ramirez's audience are tycoon and wannabe-tycoon types, but he himself has consistently taken the Tea Party's side in the GOP civil war. It doesn't make any sense to me either. You'd think his editors would try to tone him down a little bit, but I guess :pedophiles:

(That is the FREE SPEECH smiley, right? Smileys don't load on my work network for some reason and I have to go from memory)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

(That is the FREE SPEECH smiley, right? Smileys don't load on my work network for some reason and I have to go from memory)

Maybe your IT guy was tired of people downloading viruses and blocked anything with "smilies" in the url :v: (it is the free speech one, yes)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Dennis Rodman Allegedly Peed And Pooped In A North Korean Hallway, Among Other Things (3 days ago)

It's being peddled among all the clickbait "news" sites, but is also hosted on :foxnews:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

So Kevin is Clinton and also Obama but isn't Obama and... :downsgun:

• Locked thread