Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

mods that add content seem like fan fiction to me, but thinking that is a personal failing of mine

I am the same way about all games, but especially about Bethesda ones. It doesn't help that, no matter how well-made, the writing is pretty much inferior. Voice acting is a problem in Oblivion (lol) and Skyrim as well. I'm basically a purist. I think I used better bodies once, to make the textures slightly less poo poo?

Tel Uvirith also owns and you get not only cool slaves and poo poo, but you get dwemer constructs guarding your goddamn mage tower. As a bonus, you get to kill your equivalent in Hlaluu and Redoran, so their mansions are yours for the taking once you kill the poo poo out of the people in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Emasculator posted:

I am the same way about all games, but especially about Bethesda ones. It doesn't help that, no matter how well-made, the writing is pretty much inferior. Voice acting is a problem in Oblivion (lol) and Skyrim as well. I'm basically a purist. I think I used better bodies once, to make the textures slightly less poo poo?

Tel Uvirith also owns and you get not only cool slaves and poo poo, but you get dwemer constructs guarding your goddamn mage tower. As a bonus, you get to kill your equivalent in Hlaluu and Redoran, so their mansions are yours for the taking once you kill the poo poo out of the people in them.

All three have you killing the other two.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
today's the day

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Daggerfall is not only my favorite TES but my favorite RPG ever; that said I cannot imagine anyone getting into it now or really getting into it at all without being a twelve year-old nerd with an imagination overactive enough to gleefully fill in the massive blank spaces that make up 90% of the game

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Emasculator posted:

As a bonus, you get to kill your equivalent in Hlaluu and Redoran, so their mansions are yours for the taking once you kill the poo poo out of the people in them.

Unfortunately, any competing strongholds are not actually finished when you kill the master. They only get to the second stage of construction. It's a shame in the case of the Hlaalu stronghold, since it's relatively nice and in a really convenient location. The Redoran one sucks so much that it doesn't matter, however.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

hailthefish posted:

All three have you killing the other two.

Oh poo poo for real? I did Redoran on my first playthrough and I guess I totally forgot about that quest in the years since then. My bad. Even so, Telvanni is the loving man, and it being so inacessible is half the appeal. Besides, you're the great wizard, why wouldn't you reload the Sadrith Mora mage's guild until the scroll merchant generates Scrolls of Windwalker?

And I've tried playing daggerfall. On the one hand, it was sort of cool how loving huge it is. On the other hand, the game has some fucktarged control scheme that I couldn't figure out how to alter in my emulator. Why the hell were the strafe buttons on literally the opposite sides of the keyboard? Who thinks that's a good idea?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

mods that add content seem like fan fiction to me, but thinking that is a personal failing of mine

it's kinda hit or miss.
Some of them are like "here is a cool dungeon with a lovely wizard in it, go take his poo poo and solve his little mystery". Those are neat.
Some are like "there was a secret other race of people who were robots with crystal magic and nobody knew about them and they had CHIM and also were secretly gods".
Those are poo poo 99% of the time.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Xaander posted:

it's kinda hit or miss.
Some of them are like "here is a cool dungeon with a lovely wizard in it, go take his poo poo and solve his little mystery". Those are neat.
Some are like "there was a secret other race of people who were robots with crystal magic and nobody knew about them and they had CHIM and also were secretly gods".
Those are poo poo 99% of the time.

Yeah, the 'this is a dungeon with some dudes in it, take their poo poo and kill them and maybe there is also some plot bits added' are fun, about the most complex added content I ever went for was the Dremora Companion mod for Oblivion, more for the whole personal pocket of oblivion you can conquer than for the companion.

The 'there's a secret race of drow blah blah blah blah blah' ones just make me roll my eyes right out of my head.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My favorite mods are just ones that add to towns and cities. There sadly aren't as many as there should be, but there are really good ones for Balmorra, Suran, Vivec, Seyda Neen, Ald Velothi and Tel Uvirith. And then there are some really bad ones like Ald'ruhn Expansion, which just contains a bunch of poo poo that looks completely out of place and awful.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The Less Generic NPC mods are pretty nice and the writing is usually high quality and lore-consistent. I kinda miss the strange database NPCs though in a weird way, it felt fitting to Morrowind given its 'everyone is a dream' thing - literally nobody felt like a 'real person' except a few important characters like Fyr and Vivec.

I don't think any other game has used that system of dialogue, it worked really well for being an undisguised database

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
realtalk is there any good reason levitate was taken out of oblivion/skyrim? or is it solely based on gently caress fun

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

smokyprogg posted:

realtalk is there any good reason levitate was taken out of oblivion/skyrim? or is it solely based on gently caress fun

Would have broken the closed off cities.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

because cities are separate cells and since levitate would mean you could get over the walls, the games had to not have it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

smokyprogg posted:

The cities were all self-contained cells because consoles couldn't handle them otherwise, meaning if you levitated over one you'd just see some low-res cubes. Also because it ruins their ~gameplay~ in Skyrim where the dungeon exit usually takes you to some high up place you couldn't reach - it would suck to just lock all the exit doors because the player would get a locked door 50% of the time, but it would also be 'gamebreaking' to let them just levitate up to the dungeon exit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Eh they could have just prevented movement "you can't go past this point" but yeah I see why they did it.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
didn't oblivion have invisible walls on the edge of the map or some poo poo? why not do that

or open up the cities, but i assume that's for some bullshit console limitations

gently caress a console :pcgaming:

edit: i type slow

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Also because it ruins their ~gameplay~ in Skyrim where the dungeon exit usually takes you to some high up place you couldn't reach - it would suck to just lock all the exit doors because the player would get a locked door 50% of the time, but it would also be 'gamebreaking' to let them just levitate up to the dungeon exit.

i can't be the only one who hated these stupid shortcuts, can i? they are dumb and really make the dungeons and caves feel so much more linear and same-y.

those shortcuts, and the doors you can only unlock if you have a specific key, those are both some bullshit, man.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

or open up the cities, but i assume that's for some bullshit console limitations

gently caress no, elder scrolls games have always been optimized like poo poo. open cities would have probably made oblivion unplayably laggy on 70% of the pc's that people played the game on back them. poo poo, i put open cities on my computer and it made oblivion run worse than unmodded skyrim does.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
there was one dungeon in skyrim that i got to and realized that the "shortcut" put you outside at ~500 feet up in a tower (expecting you to fast travel out) and i wasn't having any of that poo poo cause i'm a loving human being so that's about when i switched back to morrowind

also i'm installing tamriel rebuilt now. has anyone had any experience with it? is there actually poo poo to do or is it just scenery?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

also i'm installing tamriel rebuilt now. has anyone had any experience with it? is there actually poo poo to do or is it just scenery?

last time i checked, the latest two sections are 90% scenery and caves, which do have loot, but few if any quests. the first map has a good amount of quests however.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The cities were all self-contained cells because consoles couldn't handle them otherwise, meaning if you levitated over one you'd just see some low-res cubes. Also because it ruins their ~gameplay~ in Skyrim where the dungeon exit usually takes you to some high up place you couldn't reach - it would suck to just lock all the exit doors because the player would get a locked door 50% of the time, but it would also be 'gamebreaking' to let them just levitate up to the dungeon exit.

I always thought it was because they didn't want people to just fly to the highest entrance to the Oblivion towers, bypassing most of those lovely dungeons' content.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Unguided posted:

I always thought it was because they didn't want people to just fly to the highest entrance to the Oblivion towers, bypassing most of those lovely dungeons' content.

Side benefit. They could have just left out the exterior entrance or put a cage around it or made it require a key or have it be set to unopenable until you do something inside.

If you use TCL or the paintbrush trick to get over the walls, you end up in an endless void with a patchwork of lowres scenery objects that don't have any physics parameters set. There weren't actually any invisible walls as far as I know, there's places where you can use careful jumping/strategically positioned hovering paintbrushes to hop over the walls without any problem. In fact I think you can do it in bruma without abusing any glitches at all, just a series of careful rooftop jumps.

smokyprogg posted:

there was one dungeon in skyrim that i got to and realized that the "shortcut" put you outside at ~500 feet up in a tower (expecting you to fast travel out) and i wasn't having any of that poo poo cause i'm a loving human being so that's about when i switched back to morrowind

gently caress that. Fast travel should represent fast-forwarding through regular travel, not loving magic. Fuckers.

I have noticed that I do a lot more random walking for the sake of walking in Skyrim/Oblivion than I ever did in Morrowind though. A) No cliff racers B) Fast Travel feels a lot more cheaty. In Morrowind you have a hell of a walk anyway even if you take the silt strider, so you might as well take the silt strider. With Fast Travel, you can go just about anywhere with total ease so if you want to actually see any of the game you bought, you have to consciously decide not to use it so much. I guess you could impose the artificial restriction on yourself of only using it between major cities and villages and only going one hop at a time, but it's easier and more fun at that point to just walk.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Unguided posted:

that's just telling about the lovely mindset they design their games with now, though. not letting you levitate had the side benefit of forcing you to go through the stupid towers every time, but the fact that they need stuff like that so that you can experience their game ~the way it's meant to be played~ shows that they're not designing their quests to fit their games any more. morrowind's quests were mostly barebones or freeform, because hey, it's a fuckin freeform game about exploring at your own pace. oblivion and skyrim had some cool quests but those were entirely weird rollercoasters totally disconnected from the game world, forcing you through a linear or ~cinematic~ set-piece when the focus of quests in games like this should be giving you targets and goals in your exploration. big scripted linear quests have their place but they need to be the exception, not the rule, and certainly not the rule that the games mechanics revolve around. bring back passwall

also my content mod was about angry muffin monsters from the past escaping to take over the world is that ok

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 14, 2014

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
i think the oblivion gates could have been cool fuckoff setpieces if they were sensibly paced and didn't devolve into being literally more common than seeing another person in the expansive void that is cyrodiil

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

4 hours 30 until c0da :toot:

Lumpy the Cook posted:

today's the day

I'm going to be at work when it's released though, I dunno if it's acceptable to tell the people you're in charge of to gently caress off for a bit because you've got to read a webcomic about a magic hermaphrodite

e: i guess it's gonna be a webcomic i dunno

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smokyprogg posted:

i think the oblivion gates could have been cool fuckoff setpieces if they were sensibly paced and didn't devolve into being literally more common than seeing another person in the expansive void that is cyrodiil

oblivion gates would have been ok if exploring around inside them was fun at all.

but man, as boring and bland as the overworld was, those shits were many many times worse. i don't know how the gently caress you can make what amounts to your game's version of hell boring as poo poo, but they sure succeeded.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

oblivion gates would have been ok if exploring around inside them was fun at all.

but man, as boring and bland as the overworld was, those shits were many many times worse. i don't know how the gently caress you can make what amounts to your game's version of hell boring as poo poo, but they sure succeeded.

If there were like 7-10 of them, and they were actually fun, it would have been cool. They were an interesting setting at least.

What we got was a loving ton of them assembled randomly from a bunch of bits and pieces that you go through over and over again through the longest most arduous path, each one largely the same.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hailthefish posted:

If there were like 7-10 of them, and they were actually fun, it would have been cool. They were an interesting setting at least.

What we got was a loving ton of them assembled randomly from a bunch of bits and pieces that you go through over and over again through the longest most arduous path, each one largely the same.

in fact, they weren't even assembled randomly. there is a small pool of premade areas that are chosen from when you enter the gate. if you explored more than a couple, then the reason it felt so same-y is because you were probably in a literal exact duplicate of an area you'd already been to.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

in fact, they weren't even assembled randomly. there is a small pool of premade areas that are chosen from when you enter the gate. if you explored more than a couple, then the reason it felt so same-y is because you were probably in a literal exact duplicate of an area you'd already been to.

There's the 7 random prefab worlds, and 5 of them get a random choice of 5 prefab keeps, and 2 of them always have the same keeps. Then the preset worlds for the quest ones.

Also a couple of the prefab worlds have multiple places you could be randomly assigned to enter through.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

also levitate 1 point on target is hilarious because any enemy you cast it on is reduced to slowly and sadly shambling after you while gently bobbing off the ground and, for some reason, screaming over and over

Cast this on a cliffracer and watch them get wrecked :ssh:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

also my content mod was about angry muffin monsters from the past escaping to take over the world is that ok

You were on the Skyrim dev team?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Unguided posted:

You were on the Skyrim dev team?
i give things actual endings/epilogues so i was overqualified

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
my morrowind mod was the realistic llore friendly realistic vivec penigina mod (with metaphysics)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im really glad morrowind hardly had any weird sex mods because i dont really want to know what my 12-year-old self would have made of them. feel sorry for the kids growing up immersed in The Ponyfuckers of Skyrim, Mantling the Stormcrown and Reach-around in Markath

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

im really glad morrowind hardly had any weird sex mods because i dont really want to know what my 12-year-old self would have made of them. feel sorry for the kids growing up immersed in The Ponyfuckers of Skyrim, Mantling the Stormcrown and Reach-around in Markath

Morrowind Unofficial Romance Mod Addons posted:

*Guard Rape - Allows you to offer your body as tribute to any guard who accosts you for having a bounty, provided that they would give you a option of some sort and not kill you on sight. Guards will always accept this, but will not be gentle with you. After they're through you'll have a drain on your skills and attributes involving streuous movement made by an effect "Bleeding Anus" which can be cured as any common disease. Also includes different sounds for the love scene since this is not the delicate loving of a normal Romance Mod encounter, only female PC version of new sounds atm.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh god they caught up :(

it was mostly fine in my day
apart from that one weird mod where you could go to an underground kink guild and get raped by nix-hounds and shat on by orcs, i guess

it was all text and everythings relative ok

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After going through maybe 4 oblivion gates I realised that the best MO was just running past everything, pick up the sigil stone and be done with it. Hell, nothing could keep up with you anyway thanks to the bad pathing/ai.

Then again, geometry/scenery has always been the ultimate weapon in TES games. You can beat any enemy as long as there are one or two boulders nearby.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Blue Raider posted:

this is cool, i will try it

also i own both arena and daggerfall but have never played either. are they worth the effort? this question is aimed at everyone

Theoretically yes, in reality no. In my first 'quest dungeon' in Daggerfall, I came to a T-junction on the first floor, took a left and got lost going from monster to monster and running around half-a-dozen floors in ever increasing circles, came back from the right somewhere, turned around and wandered in circles. It took more than an hour just to find the object I was looking for.
At one point I had to swim through a long twisting hallway with a character who could hold his breath for maybe five seconds, only to find that it was a dead-end and there was no place to come up for air. Oh and about eight dreughs spawned on top of each other and even just one of them took only one or two hits to kill me, but more than one would attack at a time. Then a loving ghost came up from behind them. Oh and you swim really achingly loving slowly, so good luck with that if you don't want to cheat (you can save and reload and it will replenish your breath).

LEGO Genetics posted:

the best medium armor in the game and you couldn't even wear it without being attacked

You know that the Ordinators only attacked you while wearing it if you talked to them first, right?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 14, 2014

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

we put jesus on the cross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i want to like daggerfall more than i do but its really not very good. you're either doing the same lovely quests for guilds over and over or lost in what amounts to the same dungeon. privateers hold is a great starting area - play the game for the awesome chargen, play privateers hold, go to daggerfall city and gently caress around for a while, get arrested for vagrancy then uninstall

• Locked thread