Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Sorry, bro, lifestyle leftists are scum and hold back any real societal change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maex3jW0Yw8

yeeaaahh, no. onepercenters, conservatives and neoliberals of all colors do that actually.

people who hate on hippies beyond just snide remarks verge on conformist sperger territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Plexiwatt posted:

This post made me buy the book and read it yesterday in one sitting. Thanks.

Somewhat related, here's a picture of Xavier Memorial Church in Yamaguchi, Japan. It commemorates a 1551 visit by St. Francis Xavier, during which he presented the local daimyo with gifts including a three-barrelled musket and Japan's first mechanical clock. The church was first built in 1951, the 400 year anniversary of the visit, but "mysteriously burned down" in '91. I couldn't find a picture of that building, but here's what it was replaced with:

I mean, it's definitely better than the current one, but it's not great.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Stultus Maximus posted:

And in my opinion, denying germ theory gives one absolutely no room to criticize creationists.

I don't understand this image. I think it is pretty cool but I don't get the point. I guess the kid on the right looks sort of genderless?

Anyway, while the headline is a bit outlandish, I think the article is pretty good. I also laughed out loud while reading the article.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Paper With Lines posted:

I don't understand this image. I think it is pretty cool but I don't get the point. I guess the kid on the right looks sort of genderless?

The kid on the right is the daughter of this blogger in response to this ad:

quote:

Conversely, the latest ad for Lego Friends targets "she" only. Yes, the girl pictured is in blue (yay!) and is proudly holding her Lego invention (that is loaded with pink and purple, of course), but the ad is all about girls as is Lego Friends. In a conversation on Facebook that asked for thoughts about it, I said: The thing for me is that I can see Lego trying to hearken back to the 1981 ad that shows a little girl in blue jeans and blue tee proudly holding her Legos (by the way--this girl appears to be much older here). But the 1981 ad doesn't identify which gender the Legos are actually for; instead, it allows for all children to be included in imaginary play. [Whereas the new] ad continues to perpetuate the marketing scheme that there are toys for girls and toys for boys. I know that there are boys who like Lego Friends as well--this ad excludes them. Yes, it appears to be lovely and sweet. It appears to tell girls they are unique, they can do anything. But this ad is sneaky. And if you place this ad side by side with the 1981 ad--it still lacks the 'what it is is beautiful' sentiment that tells ALL children they are capable of anything. Just putting a girl in blue doesn't make that happen.

Also,

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Very enlightening. Great axes. Wow.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

So which one are you?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Draw a line from the Borg to Scrooge McDuck and you'll have a fairly close approximation of AnCaps. Or maybe it's a line from Libertarian to the toilet? I can never remember. :ancap:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I mean, it's definitely better than the current one, but it's not great.

Don't image leech. Especially since it looked like you didn't post a picture since your picture wasn't loading due to them not expecting to deal with SA's load.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Valentines from Euromaidan. I don't have translations for the verses on them but they're messages that say the foundation of everything on Earth is love, and this feeling is able to unite everyone.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

We have our own traditions for gift-giving between couples anyway.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Well, I don't know anything about the Ukrainian language but I know my way around Cyrillic characters so this is what Google Translate says.

And goeth smoke, burning tires,
flying grenades, drop of blood.
So passionately in this world is ruled
by love.

Public sector Euromaidan.

With love is better than without it
speak authoritatively
march and stand
in ranks.

(the word "love" in multiple languages)

Ringworm (?) their stupid grenades
Trouble shield in scrap
go and surrender to love
captured.

We came together on the Square (Maidan)
that our region was flourishing again
foundation for all of us will
love

(MAIDAN)

Square is like a cocktail do
add dignity again
honor the strength and courage of the truth
love

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 14, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I love this because I never liked Care Bears as a kid so I immediately saw it as "fuckawesome cyborgs or some kid's shows man what a tough choice."

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Very enlightening. Great axes. Wow.

You will be pleased to know Landerzig got banned for being a notorious poo poo poster and every thread he posted in getting ruined by "THAT POST SEEMED PRETTY CHAOTICALLY NEUTRAL IF YOU ASK ME" type responses.

"How Sandbag work??" - Prince William, left

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 14, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I love this because I never liked Care Bears as a kid so I immediately saw it as "fuckawesome cyborgs or some kid's shows man what a tough choice."

Dissapointed there wasn't more sizzurp in the picutre

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Arkansas, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's been interesting (in the trainwreck sense) seeing American racists trying to set a new high-water mark. I don't think it's been particularly successful on a national level, but it's hard to imagine that this level of hatred isn't having terrible effects.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Happy Valentine's Day from B-Rock and Moochelle.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I don't see the resemblance. Also why is the lead detail on a story about a national power electing a new leader his passing resemblance to a washed-up sitcom star from the 80s? :iiam:

I guess because it's The Daily Beast.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investing/tom-perkins-vote/index.html

quote:

"But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars in taxes, you get a million votes. How's that?"

Unironically kill the rich.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Lassitude posted:

She is basically the idealized news person for Fox News' male viewers. Better than being a Christian, she says she's an atheist who wishes she were Christian, envies Christians, and wouldn't want an atheist as POTUS. Meanwhile, she says Christians are unfairly attacked in the media and atheists and liberals are unfairly vilifying them and etc. She has concocted a pretty solid persona for herself. Whatever her actual beliefs are, she's made a career out of regurgitating that special blend of victimhood and superiority that the people who care what she says love to slurp up. I find it hard to think of her as a real person at all, because I feel like it's fairly clear she's just playing the game and making a lot of money off of telling people what they want to hear.

Wikipedia tells me she has degrees in art history. How do you go from studying art to becoming a TV pundit who rambles about job creators for a living?

Franco Prussian War

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kenzie posted:

Wikipedia tells me she has degrees in art history. How do you go from studying art to becoming a TV pundit who rambles about job creators for a living?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Wingnut_welfare

See also,

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

No man we need to dumpster dive and putter around in hemp-powered buses that will break the oligarchy in no time.

My shitlord governor:

quote:

The Republican suggested that deregulation is a possible answer, but he didn’t say what that means, at least in terms of businesses being more involved in schools. He did suggest that he might seek to reduce licensing requirements placed on teachers who must carry out his third-grade reading guarantee, in which children who fail reading tests as third-graders are forced to repeat reading courses.

According to education insiders, the governor could propose a host of ways to deregulate schools, such as removing state rules for class sizes and personnel and leaving those to the discretion of local boards. He could seek to ease licensing requirements for teachers to make it easier for business professionals to come into classrooms and teach, or establish some sort of formal tie between the state Board of Education and the business community so that business leaders could have a more-direct influence on curriculum.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kro-Bar posted:

I don't see the resemblance. Also why is the lead detail on a story about a national power electing a new leader his passing resemblance to a washed-up sitcom star from the 80s? :iiam:
I guess because it's The Daily Beast.

"He looks like Tony Danza so we call him 'The Fonz'" :psyduck:

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 14, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Happy Valentine's Day!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R9u2MRwiH0

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kenzie posted:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
This is one of my favorite things that's ever happened on Twitter

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Paper With Lines posted:

So which one are you?

Reminder: Scrooge McDuck once tore a steamboat apart with his bare hands. I'm not saying that for any particular reason, just because it was loving awesome.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Another year of disappointment:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

If you don't follow bitcoin (understandable), one of the largest sites whose current raison d'être is to facilitate the transfer of bitcoins are refusing to release people's bitcoins as cash for various reasons. Some guys flew out to their offices in Japan to protest.

In a near-unprecedented level of self-awareness, one of the top reddit comments on the matter (The post was titled something like "Let's make sure their trip wasn't in vain") was: "[...] We can mock them mercilessly for putting their Ron Paul Fun Bux in a site called Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange."

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejT0WcBYxbs

Fox News' official YouTube channel, everyone!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Putin when Russia scored their third goal against Team USA:

Putin when the refs waved it off, citing bizarre IOC rules:

Team USA won 3-2 in a shoot out.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2014

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

If you don't follow bitcoin (understandable), one of the largest sites whose current raison d'être is to facilitate the transfer of bitcoins are refusing to release people's bitcoins as cash for various reasons. Some guys flew out to their offices in Japan to protest.

In a near-unprecedented level of self-awareness, one of the top reddit comments on the matter (The post was titled something like "Let's make sure their trip wasn't in vain") was: "[...] We can mock them mercilessly for putting their Ron Paul Fun Bux in a site called Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange."

The moment I saw this picture I knew it was Japan. These dipshits had to choose the only time in the last half-century that there was serious snow in Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

quote:

Is Goldberg an overfed clueless rear end in a top hat?

In a word: Yes.

Goldberg received widespread criticism for an unbelievably heartless post he left at the Corner on August 29, 2005, the day that Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. The post, in full:

I think it's time to face facts. That place is going to be a Mad Max/thunderdome Waterworld/Lord of the Flies horror show within the next few hours. My advice is to prepare yourself now. Hoard weapons, grow gills and learn to communicate with serpents. While you're working on that, find the biggest guy you can and when he's not expecting it beat him senseless. Gather young fighters around you and tell the womenfolk you will feed and protect any female who agrees to participate without question in your plans to repopulate the earth with a race of gilled-supermen. It's never too soon to be prepared.

A week later, Goldberg wrote another post apologizing for his horrible statements. Well, to be perfectly accurate, he spent 100 words apologizing and 1000 words criticizing someone else for incorrect statements about Katrina. Still, the fact that he said anything about it at all meant that he learned something from his mistakes.

Unfortunately, between 2005 and 2010 he forgot that lesson. Responding to the catastrophic earthquake in Haiti, he argued that the real problem in Haiti was its "poverty culture" and that we needed to show the country "tough love" to help the Haitians shake it off.

• Locked thread