Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I meant it in the sense that paid DLC is considered an industry plague of sorts right now by the core audience. Giving people some mystery option (which I'm sure will be figured out and posted online) to get a lower price just seems incredibly awkward.

I'm guessing the system they're using is the evolution of this project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, we want a new IP that instantly has all the name recognition and nostalgia of an old IP. That's hardly too much to ask.

Sony should probably stop bothering with games like The Last of Us or Uncharted, then.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Sony should probably stop bothering with games like The Last of Us or Uncharted, then.

It only applies to Nintendo and you know it :colbert:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Uncharted was hardly an IP that turned many heads until the sequel, anyway.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Got an email today from Nintendo giving me a free copy of Super Mario Bros Deluxe for the 3DS. Cheers I guess.

Also just in the last few minutes I get an email with the header "Breaking News: Mario Kart 8 Release Date..."

Must have missed that one on the news today

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
If they just released a slightly upgraded version of the Wii U, called it the Wii 2, and hammered out rapid fire releases for 6 months, you reckon that'd be enough to salvage something from all this?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It would be better if they made the development process easier. If memory serves the terrible complexity of programming for PS3 was what kept it from taking completely off.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cryohazard posted:

If they just released a slightly upgraded version of the Wii U, called it the Wii 2, and hammered out rapid fire releases for 6 months, you reckon that'd be enough to salvage something from all this?

Sure. My mortgage would also be paid off if I won the lottery if we're throwing out scenarios that are impossible.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Electromax posted:

Uncharted was hardly an IP that turned many heads until the sequel, anyway.

So you're saying that Rusty's Baseball 2 or Steel Diver 2 is where the new IP fortunes will kick off? Seriously I'm totally lost.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
- Nintendo should properly utilize their existing IPs (More 3D World, less Paper Mario 3DS)
- Nintendo should design new IPs that have a serious market penetration potential (More Animal Crossing, less Steel Diver)
- Nintendo should hand secondary IPs to third parties they trust to ensure a broader range of games (More Donkey Kong Country Returns, less Metroid: Other M)

Hopefully this cuts down the dumb hyperbole going back and forth about Uncharted.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Everything I've read about other M is that team ninja wasn't to blame for the bad stuff and ultimately had very little control. They were forbidden from having any controller layout other than remote only for example, the dodge mechanic was Nintendo's idea, they certainly didn't write the drat thing, etc.

Of course even if they had control it probably would have sucked because it was a team ninja game, just saying it probably falls more in your first category

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Chocolate Teapot posted:

So you're saying that Rusty's Baseball 2 or Steel Diver 2 is where the new IP fortunes will kick off? Seriously I'm totally lost.

I'm saying Uncharted 1 is not an example of a new IP taking off the way people want Nintendo to magically create, and it was very slick and polished. Uncharted 2 is what moved it toward "Sony flagship" territory. I don't care about either of those games you mention, I was responding to someone suggesting that "well Sony did it with Uncharted and Last of Us, see it's easy!"

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Last of Us had launched with Wii U instead of ZombiU as an exclusive, there wouldn't be a huge difference in where it is right now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
No one game probably would have made that much of a difference, really. They need to avoid poo poo like... going two months without a release. That would probably help.

I just wonder what games they have in development right now that they aren't talking about.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cryohazard posted:

I'm assuming by 'slightly upgraded' you mean same architecture and therefore directly backwards compatible with the Wii U.

1) Making the Wii U obsolete after less than 18 months on the market would be incredibly unpopular with customers, retailers and developers
2) An meaningfully upgraded console would be more expensive to produce and that would have to be reflected in the retail price
3) They aren't choosing to not release games, this is just how long it takes to make games combined with how small Nintendo studios are
4) Adding even more naming confusion is a seriously terrible idea

The Wii U is pretty dead in the water but dumping it and moving on this quickly would kill any successor before it even launched.

Electromax posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Last of Us had launched with Wii U instead of ZombiU as an exclusive, there wouldn't be a huge difference in where it is right now.
What, you mean the game some people talk about as 'best of that console generation' wouldn't have helped compared to a game that is more like 'pretty good for a launch game'?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Level Slide posted:

Yarn Metroid

This is the best idea from this thread and would own.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I just wonder what games they have in development right now that they aren't talking about.

Mario. Mario. Mario. Zelda. Mario. Mario.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Everything I've read about other M is that team ninja wasn't to blame for the bad stuff and ultimately had very little control. They were forbidden from having any controller layout other than remote only for example, the dodge mechanic was Nintendo's idea, they certainly didn't write the drat thing, etc.

Of course even if they had control it probably would have sucked because it was a team ninja game, just saying it probably falls more in your first category

Oh absolutely. Same goes to Paper Mario 3DS. They originally wanted to make it like a Thousand Year Door sequel and Miyamoto came in and wanted the stamp mechanic and for it to be a lot more simple.

I guess that's why I used the Retro example. Retro has big Nintendo guys like Miyamoto coming in all the time to give tips and pointers and direction but it feels like they still let them make the game they want to make.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
I know a lot of people have probably said this, but I think one of their greatest mistakes concerning the Wii U was to not have the new Smash Bros. be a launch title or at least be in the launch window.

There's no denying that Smash Bros. is a system seller. I know tons of people who bought their Wii consoles just for Brawl (poor souls), and one of the main reasons why I wanted to get a Gamecube when it launched was not only because I was a Nintendo kid, but because I wanted Melee.

Mario and Zelda just don't do it anymore, or at least not as well as they used to. As great as I hear 3D World is, it's not going to get me to jump for joy and buy a Wii U. Neither is an HD remake of Wind Waker, despite it being a great game.

Nintendo needs something unique, and something that's not re-treading ground from almost 30 years ago just in a slightly different fashion. Smash Bros. is re-treading some ground, yes, but it's still fresh and still excites people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Oh absolutely. Same goes to Paper Mario 3DS. They originally wanted to make it like a Thousand Year Door sequel and Miyamoto came in and wanted the stamp mechanic and for it to be a lot more simple.

I guess that's why I used the Retro example. Retro has big Nintendo guys like Miyamoto coming in all the time to give tips and pointers and direction but it feels like they still let them make the game they want to make.

I'm guessing it wasn't Retro's idea for DKCR to have wiimote only control and mandatory waggle though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I'm guessing it wasn't Retro's idea for DKCR to have wiimote only control and mandatory waggle though.

Shoehorning in waggle controls where they didn't belong was a real curse on the Wii, especially early on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

Shoehorning in waggle controls where they didn't belong was a real curse on the Wii, especially early on.

This was one of the later meaningful releases.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cryohazard posted:

If they were able to fire out rapid fire releases NOW that might be enough to salvage the system. They can't make these games any faster than they are now, and it's the only thing supporting the system.

Rahu X posted:

There's no denying that Smash Bros. is a system seller. I know tons of people who bought their Wii consoles just for Brawl (poor souls), and one of the main reasons why I wanted to get a Gamecube when it launched was not only because I was a Nintendo kid, but because I wanted Melee.

One game would not save this system. Yeah, they'd get Smash out the door early, but now we wouldn't of had a 3D World. Then the excuse would have been "If they just released a 3D Mario within launch window, it would have sold!"

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 14, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MUFFlNS posted:

Mario. Mario. Mario. Zelda. Mario. Mario.

Well this is basically their kids TV schedule in the late 80s.

I hope Zelda comes out on Friday.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

This was one of the later meaningful releases.

Yeah I know, but early on it seemed like every loving game had some dumb waggle control just jammed in there for no reason.

I guess it never really abated, thinking about it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Craptacular! posted:

Well this is basically their kids TV schedule in the late 80s.

Ugh, how did we never get a Captain N side scrolling video game Smash Bros style. People are loving this NES remix stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Ugh, how did we never get a Captain N side scrolling video game Smash Bros style. People are loving this NES remix stuff.

Ugh, why did jamming popsicle sticks up out asses never become a thing. People are loving this popsicle stuff, how has this not happened yet?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Astro7x posted:

"If they just released a 3D Mario within launch window, it would have sold!"

Should have included it in system.

I bought a SNES for Super Mario World.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Speaking of Zelda, I feel like I lost my love for it. Twilight Princess bored me and I couldn't really get into Skyward Sword

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 14, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

LorneReams posted:

Should have included it in system.

I bought a SNES for Super Mario World.

A fair point, but we live in a completely different era from the SNES days.

We live in a time where there are a lot of studios making a ton of games that are really long and have a shitload of content. They're bigger and better than ever, and there's a whole smorgasbord of stuff to choose from.

If they had 3D World ready out of the gate and New Super Mario Bros Wii U out later, they probably would have moved some more units at launch but we would likely be in the exact same spot now. In the current climate of third-parties producing a shitload of content, Nintendo doesn't like to play with others.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cliff Racer posted:

Ugh, why did jamming popsicle sticks up out asses never become a thing. People are loving this popsicle stuff, how has this not happened yet?

It's a thing to me, and that's all that matters.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

blackguy32 posted:

Speaking of Zelda, I feel like I lost my love for it. Twilight Princess bored me and I couldn't really get into Skyward Sword

Same here. Twilight Princess only captivated me because I was part of the crowd who wanted a sort of realistic and mature continuation of OoT.

The game itself was alright, but it's probably the last Zelda game I've been legitimately interested in. I was always sort of sketchy about Skyward Sword. It always just felt lacking in what I've seen from it.

I know Eiji Aonuma has stated that he really wants to find and make a new formula for Zelda, because he's getting bored of just constantly remaking OoT or LttP over and over again. I really hope he does, but I'm not so sure about the majority of the fanbase.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

blackguy32 posted:

Link Between Worlds is a good game :shobon:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Team Ninja made the Ninja Gaiden games which are all incredibly good. :colbert:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Soul Glo posted:

As someone who felt completely burned out on the Zelda franchise after TP, Link Between Worlds was really really good and very enjoyable to play the entire time I played it. It felt like a breath of fresh air (even if it was cashing in on some of LTTP's successes).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Team Ninja made the Ninja Gaiden games which are all incredibly good. :colbert:

I think you're forgetting one of the ninja gaiden games. Hint: it's definitive version is WiiU exclusive

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Soul Glo posted:

I hadn't liked a Zelda game in well over a decade but I loved this one and it's the only reason I'm even cautiously optimistic about a WiiU Zelda.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

I think you're forgetting one of the ninja gaiden games. Hint: it's definitive version is WiiU exclusive

Razors Edge came out on PS3 and 360 as well.

And its also very good, they took most of the complaints to heart.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Surlaw posted:

I hadn't liked a Zelda game in well over a decade but I loved this one and it's the only reason I'm even cautiously optimistic about a WiiU Zelda.

You mean the Dynasty Warrior clone coming out? I really want to play that too!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Razors Edge came out on PS3 and 360 as well.

And its also very good, they took most of the complaints to heart.

I looked it up because I couldn't believe it given how incredibly bad NG3 Vanilla was but they really did fix almost every single problem with Ninja Gaiden 3. Still shouldn't have released that game as it was but goddamn, nice going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LorneReams posted:

You mean the Dynasty Warrior clone coming out? I really want to play that too!

What? No. There's a different Zelda game than that one in production.

• Locked thread