Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Krotera posted:

Seriously -- just once, I want to see a Troper watching this show and actually making GBS threads themselves over it the way they seem to be trying to convince us they're all doing.

I know it would be gross and depressing even if the self-making GBS threads was metaphorical, but it's kind of like the unicorns they're apparently terrified of: I have to see it before I can really believe it exists.

I'm imagining it would be like Lowtax's mock-reaction videos to playing 'scary' games, but 100% genuine.

I watched MLP and it's okay. I'd certainly prefer to watch that with my two nieces than whatever 60s cartoon or newspaper strip that's being turned into a motion picture. If people want to be weird about it, that's there business. Although I dread (and look forward to, I'm conflicted tbh) the day when some puffy slob in a fedora and Rainbow Dash t-shirt is being grilled by Chris Hansen on To Catch a Predator

EDIT: Back on subject, I have to give credit to TVTropes for introducing me to certain things that I still enjoy, but I fell out with them when I started visiting the "darth wiki" pages or whatever, and noticed whoever was writing the entries was clearly missing the joke.

Actually, the real indicator that the site had a few screws loose when I saw the huge amount of :words: written speculating how Joel/Mike from MST3K survived on the Satellite of Love, even though they have a trope named after the intro song indicating such speculation was irrelevant. :doh:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Nightmare Fuel: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic posted:

The short moment where Twilight notices a few fillies playing jumprope, then she imagines them laughing at her, in an almost literally hellish background (see the page image).
  • There is an extended version out there. Sweet dreams, little girls! :smug:

Which implies that tropers/bronies are aware this show's target audience is indeed little girls. I'm sure many of whom were too terrified to fall asleep after such a horrific sight.

Seriously, these people are the biggest babies on the Internet.

By the way, the page image links to an absurdly long, detailed and trope-filled recap of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S2 E3: "Lesson Zero". jesus christ they have one for every episode

EDIT: Ohhohoho... the quote from Lauren Faust on her Creator page is delicious when comparing it to the 8 million words tvtropes has written about MLP's Nightmare Fuel:

Lauren Faust posted:

"Cartoons for girls don't have to be a puddle of smooshy, cutesy-wootsy, goody-two-shoeness. Girls like stories with real conflict; girls are smart enough to understand complex plots; girls aren't as easily frightened as everyone seems to think."

Eh, tropers? Eh?!

I also like how these clowns seem to think one of her goals in creating the show was to attract as many spergs to it as possible:

From the same page posted:

No relation to the other Faust, although that just might offer an explanation as to how she found a way to get grown men to like ponies.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 13, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The funniest thing about MLP having a big fanbase will be ten years later when they make a live-action MLP with John Goodman and farts

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Oh hey, speaking of tropers being terrified of everything

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/SuperMarioBros

The first thing on the list:

quote:

Several people are terrified by Boos. It pretty much all boils down to the fact that they only chase you when you're not looking. It only leaves the door open to Fridge Horror.

For those who havebeen living under a rockn't played Super Mario Bros., this is a Boo:

:spooky: Terrifying! :spooky:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Yo man put that in tags thanks.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

does "several people" mean "me at six years old"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

quote:

This series introduced the concept of spikes = instant death in video games. Good thing everything causes Mario to go into Death Throws. Doesn't stop some kids from being scared by the thought of falling and getting impaled on spikes, and the resultant saturation of spikes in video games as a whole causes nightmare fuel filled scenes in video games where they DO impale you.

Wait what are they talking about? :confused: I thought that was Mega Man?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Tiny Toon Adventures

quote:

The first segment of the episode, titled "Wait 'Till Your Father Gets Even", is pretty scary too, especially the ending, where Plucky is tied to a board being cut in half by a saw as punishment for gambling.

"This cartoon is a cartoon!"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gen. Ripper posted:

It pretty much all boils down to the fact that they only chase you when you're not looking. It only leaves the door open to Fridge Horror.
Uh... what? How, specifically?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Uh... what? How, specifically?

They turn invisible when you look at them so I guess the idea is that you realize a homicidal ghost was ~right there~ and you never realized it or something?

It would probably work better if they looked like something other than cartoony floating puff-balls.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Oh, for gently caress's sake. At six or seven years old I thought games like Super Mario World were the poo poo and at no point was I afraid of Boos or anything else contained within the cartridge.

Like I said, tropers are the biggest babies on the Internet planet.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So there is a series of tropes that drive me insane

Funny Aneurysm Moment is when events, either external or within a series, turn a joke into something disturbing, upsetting, or at the very least really uncomfortable. Harsher in Hindsight is when a tragic and serious event is even worse later. Hilarious in Hindsight is that something becomes funnier following events that occured in real life.

This pretty much just lets them go "Well this happened in x and then this happened in real life which makes it funnier/not as funny/ kind of a downer".
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they didn't just decide that anything needed to be put under it.

I'm going to be using the Simpsons harsher in hindsight page since there's a lot of reaching.

quote:

In "Angry Dad: The Movie" from Season 22, Lisa says that she's seen all the Pixar films, "except for Cars", a reference to how the film was widely considered to be the studio's weakest film by the time the episode came out. Just a few months later, the sequel came out, immediately replacing its predecessor for that title by far for many people, becoming the first Pixar film ever to earn a "rotten" critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Previews for Cars 2 came out in November of 2010 while the episode was released in February of 2011 and Cars was already seen as their worst film. Also how can something like this be on the same page as jokes made incredibly awkward by 9/11?

quote:

In "Bart-Mangled Banner", Elmo is shown in prison as a political prisoner. Eight years later, Kevin Clash (the puppeteer and voice actor for Elmo) was later accused of having sex with underage boys. The case was dropped and he wasn't imprisoned, but it definitely changes the context of the line, "Elmo went to wrong fundraiser."

Or maybe it could just be that they had targeted Elmo for imagined slights? It's commentary on Guantamano Bay where unpatriotic people were being held as political prisoners.

quote:

In "Brush with Greatness", Ringo Starr says that he'll take his time to answer every piece of fan mail that he didn't get to answer (including Marge's, which included a painted portrait of Starr). These days, this comes off as either confusing (for anyone who hasn't seen the early episodes of The Simpsons in the 1990s and now are discovering them on DVD or the Internet) or depressing, as Ringo announced in 2008 that he's not accepting fan mail anymore.

Oh no, a man that would have been about 68 at the time says that he's no longer accepting fan mail after 50 years.
Once more, two towers jokes on the same page.

quote:

An in-story example: in the episode "Homer Loves Flanders", Bart says that its because of genetics that Homer is a loser (with Bart yelling, "D'oh!" after realizing that the "being a loser based on genetics" theory applies to him too). Four years later, we got "Lisa the Simpson", an episode which confirms that Simpson males get dumber as they grow older (while the women still stay smart)(though that was later contradicted in the episode "HOMR" where it's revealed that a crayon lodged in Homer's brain is the real reason for his stupidity).

Uh yeah, the point with the original jokes is that genetics don't work that way.

quote:

In the episode "Brawl in the Family" the Republicans meet to talk about what to cut from the budget. Krusty mentions cutting PBS funding because "those lousy Muppets are taking up his airtime". It stopped being funny when Mitt Romney announced he would cut PBS's funding if elected President, and Big Bird appeared in an Obama ad (after news hit about his appearance on Saturday Night Live) attacking Romney for it. It's now Hilarious in Hindsight since Obama got re-elected.

How was it ever not funny? It's still written as coming across incredibly petty that a secret meeting of the Republicans would have that on the agenda.

quote:

There's also the scene in "Marge vs Singles Seniors Childless Couples and Teens and Gays" where Bart wants to watch a TV show where Steve Irwin gets mauled to death by an animal (although it is a crocodile that kills him on The Simpsons).

People knew it was going to happen, it was just a matter of when. It would have been kinda awkward if it were a comparatively harmless creature (like Stingrays are). While more uncomfortable then most other examples on the page, the man wrestled crocodiles and snakes.

quote:

If the New York episode is the Trope Codifier for the show, the Season 5 episode "$pringfield" is a close second. In this episode, which aired in 1993, two No Celebrities Were Harmed versions of Siegfried & Roy perform an act with white tigers riding unicycles. The act goes horribly wrong when one of the tigers attacks one of the two illusionists. A decade later, a white tiger actually did attack Roy during one of their shows. This moment was lampshaded on DVD commentary and declared the "greatest prediction ever made by The Simpsons," though the writers also pointed out that the tiger attack was bound to happen sooner or later, considering how she was treated.

Once more, this was going to happen just based on how the tiger was mistreated.

quote:

A lot of the earlier episodes had verbal jokes and sight gags depicting Homer as a monkey (and often being called a "big ape" due to his crass behavior and informed ugliness). These stop being funny with the episode "The Color Yellow," which reveals that one of Homer's ancestors was a black slave (and for the uninitiated, "monkey" is [or, at least, has been] used as a racial slur against black people).

1/64th part African American. Also, Simpsons barely keeps continuity. Was it ever bought up again in the series? Then it probably is non-canon.
Aso, Homer looks like a shaved gorilla and is unpleasant. That's the joke.

quote:

Then there's the line in "Weekend At Burnsie's" when Homer (who's been smoking medicinal marijuana after getting pecked in the eyes by crows) states that he can go up to The President and "...blow smoke in his stupid monkey face, and he'd be sitting there groovin on it!" This episode was written and premiered around the time that George W. Bush was U.S. President (and there were a lot of jokes about George W. Bush looking like a monkey because of his big ears and simian-looking face). These days, with a black president, that line comes off as horrifically racist (and it doesn't help that Obama himself has large ears as well).

Homer sees a movie called "Hail to the Chimp" at the drive-in theater on the season nine episode "Dumbbell Indemnity." Very Hilarious in Hindsight during the "Dubya" Bush era; totally racist in the Obama era.

Yep because they were writing for the times when Dubya was president, they should have anticipated that there would be an African American president 6 and 9 years later respectively. I'll admit that they're tasteless now but remember who the president was at the time.

quote:

In the closing credits of the clip show "All Singing, All Dancing", Snake is heard shouting "Stop the music!", and he fires his first gunshots as Phil Hartman's name comes up. Four months after it first aired, Hartman was shot to death by his wife in a murder-suicide.

There. This is the type of thing that the page should be about. Poor timing and it's close enough to taint the joke entirely. It's not "well this happened like ten years later", it literally happened in the same year and has uncomfortably close circumstances.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait what are they talking about? :confused: I thought that was Mega Man?

also pretty sure it is throes

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh hey, speaking of tropers being terrified of everything

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/SuperMarioBros

The first thing on the list:

For those who havebeen living under a rockn't played Super Mario Bros., this is a Boo:

Those aren't terrifying; they're a pain in the rear end when you're playing the haunted house levels. God, I (and my sister, who played the Super Mario World more than I did) hated them.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Man, I wonder how tropers manage to avoud completely filling the "Harsher in Hindsight" page with Onion articles.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Venusian Weasel posted:

Man, I wonder how tropers manage to avoud completely filling the "Harsher in Hindsight" page with Onion articles.

Tropers don't read the Onion because not enough underage crime fighting magic waifus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Penny Paper posted:

Those aren't terrifying; they're a pain in the rear end when you're playing the haunted house levels. God, I (and my sister, who played the Super Mario World more than I did) hated them.
Did you know that if you spinjump, you just bounce on top of them?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Did you know that if you spinjump, you just bounce on top of them?

I was 11 the last time I played that game, so, no, I didn't know until now. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find an emulator and revisit a frustrating patch in the semi-barren field that is my childhood.

Oh, and thanks for ripping the "Funny Aneurysm Moment"/"Harsher in Hindsight" page a new one. Are Tropers/geeks born to ruin anything considered "good" or "entertaining" or is it a lifestyle choice?

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Gen. Ripper posted:

They turn invisible when you look at them so I guess the idea is that you realize a homicidal ghost was ~right there~ and you never realized it or something?

It would probably work better if they looked like something other than cartoony floating puff-balls.

I'm almost positive they're just conflating it with that Dr. Who monster that works the same way and/or that scp foundation monster. Those are 'scary' so boos must be scary.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Troper Obsession With Rape: Item #4,709,412,848,103

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fridge/AceAttorney

quote:

In the first Ace Attorney game's final case, Damon Gant asks the 16-year-old Ema to stay in his office after he kicks Phoenix and Gumshoe out. Afterward, Ema seems... withdrawn. Very withdrawn. Um.

He was blackmailing Lana and could pretty much do anything he wanted with her. Ew.
And Phoenix just left her there without a second thought? What the Hell, Hero?

"Um." potholes to the Memetic Molester page. "Because it's not like he could have violently threatened her or done anything else that would scare the crap out of her, it must have been rape!" :tvtropes:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, from my (admittedly rusty) memory, that bit about her being withdrawn is more or less a flat-out lie; the next time Phoenix meets up with her, she's still more or less the same in terms of demeanor (upbeat). Even when certain events after that get her gloomy, it's pretty much for reasons entirely independent of whatever she was dragged off for.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure tropers aren't actually horrified by Boos/MLP/fridges whatever, their urge to list everything just makes them spew out anything that could possible fit the bill, like their thousands of other strained examples.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Testekill posted:

So there is a series of tropes that drive me insane

Funny Aneurysm Moment is when events, either external or within a series, turn a joke into something disturbing, upsetting, or at the very least really uncomfortable. Harsher in Hindsight is when a tragic and serious event is even worse later. Hilarious in Hindsight is that something becomes funnier following events that occured in real life.

This pretty much just lets them go "Well this happened in x and then this happened in real life which makes it funnier/not as funny/ kind of a downer".
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they didn't just decide that anything needed to be put under it.

I love those pages. 90% of it is stuff like 'someone starred in a film where they died and then some years later they died" There's a couple of genuine ones, like Red Foxx, who used to joke about heart attacks on Sandford and Son, actually dying of a heart attack or Jim Morrison's 'you're drinking with number three' quip, but the rest are all so low effort, it loops back round to being amazing. If these are shocks to them, tropers must live in a world of endless wonder and surprise. And, y'know, rape.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

psy_wombats posted:

I'm pretty sure tropers aren't actually horrified by Boos/MLP/fridges whatever, their urge to list everything just makes them spew out anything that could possible fit the bill, like their thousands of other strained examples.

I'm with psy-wombats. TVTropes is a forum pretending to be a wiki; they just want to keep the conversation going but think everything they say has to be important enough to be an 'academic resource' because they're just that smart. When you aren't allowed to criticise anyone else's contributions, barrel-scraping is all you've got left - probably not just scraping for examples of scary things, but of places where you can mention whatever favourite game or anime you wanted to talk about in the first place. When you have to be all :eng101: to justify talking fan talk, weird rationalisations are inevitable.

Add to that, the whole ethos discourages people from responding to a work on an emotional level. Trope-spotting is about being in the know and above it all and it's got to be massively distracting from actually getting engaged in something. It's an emotional distancer by its very nature. If someone's that involved in TVTropes, chances are fair that they've pretty much worn down their ability to feel the difference between Jack Nicholson wielding an axe and Fluttershy giving something an angry stare.

I mean, check out their list of 'Primal Fears':

quote:

Primal Fears: possibly the most universally frightening of the mix; stuff that generally everyone gets the creeps from. Includes but is not limited to:
The unknown.
Swarms of fear-inducing animals such as rats, snakes, spiders, or insects.
Being buried alive... or eaten alive.
Being raped - especially by something that isn't human.
People being set on fire, or fire endangering the lives of people while they struggle to escape.
Being drowned, particularly if it's done very slowly...
Being trapped without escape with a violent and/or unpredictable human/animal/thing that wants to harm you.

Gotta have :tvtropes: slap bang in the middle, of course (and certainly every woman I know is much more afraid of being raped by a tentacle beast than by a man :tinfoil:), but it looks like they really can't tell the difference between generalities like 'the unknown' and disturbingly specific examples like 'Being drowned, particularly if it's done very slowly...'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I love those pages. 90% of it is stuff like 'someone starred in a film where they died and then some years later they died" There's a couple of genuine ones, like Red Foxx, who used to joke about heart attacks on Sandford and Son, actually dying of a heart attack or Jim Morrison's 'you're drinking with number three' quip, but the rest are all so low effort, it loops back round to being amazing. If these are shocks to them, tropers must live in a world of endless wonder and surprise. And, y'know, rape.

I'll admit that I did have a rather uncomfortable laugh at Patrick Swayze's guest appearance on M.A.S.H.... as a cancer patient.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
Got a bit upset and wandered off topic. Ignore me.

Apple Tree fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

I'm with psy-wombats. TVTropes is a forum pretending to be a wiki; they just want to keep the conversation going but think everything they say has to be important enough to be an 'academic resource' because they're just that smart. When you aren't allowed to criticise anyone else's contributions, barrel-scraping is all you've got left - probably not just scraping for examples of scary things, but of places where you can mention whatever favourite game or anime you wanted to talk about in the first place. When you have to be all :eng101: to justify talking fan talk, weird rationalisations are inevitable.

Seriously. I started reading the "post your favorite little things from games" thread here on PYf, and it definitely reads like something off TV Tropes. Not the bad parts, obviously, but the pointless chatty parts. That's perfect for a forum, but it's absolute poo poo on a wiki.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Apple Tree posted:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ohfuckohfuckohfuck. I wasn't even thinking about TVTropes or bronies; I was on tumblr looking at pictures, thinking it might be nice to make a small tumblr about biplanes for my brother's birthday because they're his favourite thing. I put in the word 'Spitfire'.

HOW THE gently caress DID THE INTERNET CONCLUDE FROM THIS THAT I WANTED TO SEE PAGES AND PAGES OF MY LITTLE PONIES loving EACH OTHER?

I was just trying to make my brother a birthday present about airplanes! They are EVERYWHERE. :tinfoil:

Sorry, bro, love ya but I'm not going through that again. You can find your own pictures.

Any interesting sounding two word compound has probably been made into the name of a pony OC. I'm guessing at least one has the RAF roundel on its rear end or something.

And the Spitfire's not a biplane.
:goonsay:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ohfuckohfuckohfuck. I wasn't even thinking about TVTropes or bronies; I was on tumblr looking at pictures, thinking it might be nice to make a small tumblr about biplanes for my brother's birthday because they're his favourite thing. I put in the word 'Spitfire'.

HOW THE gently caress DID THE INTERNET CONCLUDE FROM THIS THAT I WANTED TO SEE PAGES AND PAGES OF MY LITTLE PONIES loving EACH OTHER?

I was just trying to make my brother a birthday present about airplanes! They are EVERYWHERE. :tinfoil:

Sorry, bro, love ya but I'm not going through that again. You can find your own pictures.

Chiming in again with "This has literally nothing to do with TV Tropes". TVT is lovely enough, we don't need to start blaming it for shittiness in other fandoms on other websites.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

DStecks posted:

Chiming in again with "This has literally nothing to do with TV Tropes". TVT is lovely enough, we don't need to start blaming it for shittiness in other fandoms on other websites.

True. I'm perfectly prepared to blame TVTropes for being enabling bastards, but mostly I just needed a scream of horror/thought it might amuse people.

In the interests of content, I looked up 'scream of horror' on TVTropes. Lots of variants, but 'Screaming Woman' looked promising.

This is their definition:

quote:

Screaming Woman

When a truly terrifying danger rears its ugly head, maybe a monster appears or a large object is about to fall on them, one of the female characters stands there and screams helplessly, necessitating that one of the heroes pull her out of harm's way. Is guaranteed to become even more annoying when said female character sees something dangerous, and stands and screams for the hero to help, when they would have had plenty of time to get out of the way themselves. Not necessarily limited to the Damsel in Distress or The Chick, but can be infuriating if the character is supposed to be a hardened Action Girl.

Contrast with Screaming Warrior and Screams Like a Little Girl. Also see Make Me Wanna Shout, when the scream is superpowered and weaponized.

A woman's scream is a powerful auditory bomb: nothing conveys terror quite like it. However, it can easily become Narmful when overused, especially if Stock Screams are used. See Eek, a Mouse!! for one example of something that can trigger this phenomenon. Actresses frequently cast in the role of the Screaming Woman are often called "Scream Queens."

Apparently women are weaponised vocal devices unlike men and normal people, but I had a look at some of their examples. In there, I think I've found the Platonic example of their documenting for the sake of documenting:

quote:

Dorothy in the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz sometimes screamed.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

That trope comes sooo close to explaining why the trope isn't necessarily something that you should use (the stereotype of a woman being unable to fend for herself in danger), but it pulls back and just says 'it's annoying when a :rolleyes: woman :rolleyes: does that'.

TVTropes, on the case! Quality writing tips in wiki form!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Meanwhile, in the Analysis tab...

Who wants to study which Magic the Gathering color combinations would be used by which cartoon ponies?

Analysis: Magic: The Gathering posted:

WHITE/BLUE
Twilight Sparkle is a good example of the level-headed leader that this color combo can produce. She combines the logic-based thinking and love for learning of Blue and the planning, leadership skills and (sometimes excessive) want of order of White.

WHITE/BLACK
Linkara has a strong moral code and idealizes traditional hero models, but is also extremely pragmatic and frequently criticises cases of Honor Before Reason and moral inflexibility, embodying both White's and Black's best traits. He also has an arrogant streak and nearly turned evil because of it.

WHITE/GREEN
Fluttershy and Applejack embody the Green/White mixture in different ways. Both are close to nature, Applejack tending to her farm and Fluttershy tending to her pets. Applejack is white because she places importance on her friends and her large family and Fluttershy towards nurturing her animals.

BLACK/RED
Spike from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic could count as this. He's naturally prone to greed thanks to his draconic nature, and giving in to it turns him into a powerful out of control monster, and he sometimes comes across as a little brat (he is still a child after all). He can also be pretty selfish too, willing to shirk his responsibilities in favor of doing what he wants. Spike is also very devoted to his friends, especially his foster sister/mother figure Twilight, to the point that he gets very jealous and insecure when his position as her "Number One assistant" is threatened, and his crush Rarity, to the point that being reminded of a gift he gave her snaps him out of his aforementioned Superpowered Evil Side.
Pinkie Pie as well. Like the Lorwyn Boggarts, she's a playful, fundamentally hedonistic person that represents the best of this combination. Her one nervous breakdown implies that she sees friendship as a form of self worth, but she does genuinely care for her friends.

BLUE/BLACK/RED
Rarity combines the meticulousness of Blue, the artistry, passion, and creativity of Red, and her occasional bouts of greed and self-centeredness give her a distinctly Black bent. The "Black" aspect represent her greatest character flaws, and most Rarity-centric episodes revolve around her overcoming it.

GREEN/BLUE/BLACK
Queen Chrysalis has the savagery that makes her unable to comprehend love (aside from being a food source) of Green, the manipulation skills and adaptability (thanks to shape-shifting abilities) of Blue, and the ambition for conquest of Black.

Analysis.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Apple Tree posted:

I think I've found the Platonic example of their documenting for the sake of documenting:

That reminds me literally exactly of a quote that became a title for an F Plus episode. It was a pissing fetishist talking about scenes where someone had to pee/made jokes about peeing in a TV show and it ended with "so based on all of this information, we can see that Elisha Cuthbert needs to pee sometimes."

TV Tropes: documenting things in literal fetishistic detail

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Venusian Weasel posted:

That trope comes sooo close to explaining why the trope isn't necessarily something that you should use (the stereotype of a woman being unable to fend for herself in danger), but it pulls back and just says 'it's annoying when a :rolleyes: woman :rolleyes: does that'.

TVTropes, on the case! Quality writing tips in wiki form!

For contrast, I looked up what they had to say about the Wilhelm Scream, the classic male scream that developed a certain popularity among film-makers, partly as an in-joke and partly because it strikes a good balance - screams that are definitely male-sounding, and distressed but not too harrowing, being a useful thing in many action scenes.

You'd think the Tropers would love it, because they felt in on the joke, right? Nope. It annoys them:

quote:

Overused Stock Sound Effects can screw with a TV viewer's attention span — repeated use makes them instantly recognizable to those in the know. One of the worst offenders is the Stock Scream — one of several vocal effects used when a character has to scream and the sound the actor recorded isn't loud or piercing enough. From the popularity of some stock "scream" effects, you would think they were the only ones in existence. Currently there are about 15 commonly used stock screams, most of which have yet to be named.

Yeah, film-makers, won't you think of the poor audience members who document all the screams but don't get any pleasure out of it?! Where are your feelings?!

It's the weird joylessness that stands out. Documenting the use of stock screams is kind of interesting in a factoid sort of way, and also the sort of thing that might actually have some value for anyone looking for an academic resources. Spotting tropes in a work is apparently the reason to watch it, yet spotting sound footage is annoying? :confused: Do they just not like in-jokes that have to be credited to non-tropers or something?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Certainly, the Wilhelm Scream is fascinating from a film history perspective.

I think you're right, they just hate it because it's an in-joke that they themselves didn't come up with. It's a really weird and insular community.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
To be fair, I too abhor the Wilhelm scream 9 times out of 10. Particularly if you hear it in a scene that's meant to be dramatic or tragic. It's very distracting, it's so tired that it can't possibly be funny anymore, and heaven forbid you're watching the movie in a room with anyone else, because they're bound to go :v: "Hey, did you know that scream we just heard is an industry in-joke called the--"

YES. Yes, we know. We all know this thing. No one need point it out eeeeeeevery time.

So yeah, gently caress the Wilhelm scream. Documenting its appearances is fine and cool and all, but it is more eye-rolling than anything else to hear in modern movies.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Jay O posted:

To be fair, I too abhor the Wilhelm scream 9 times out of 10. Particularly if you hear it in a scene that's meant to be dramatic or tragic. It's very distracting, it's so tired that it can't possibly be funny anymore, and heaven forbid you're watching the movie in a room with anyone else, because they're bound to go :v: "Hey, did you know that scream we just heard is an industry in-joke called the--"

YES. Yes, we know. We all know this thing. No one need point it out eeeeeeevery time.

So yeah, gently caress the Wilhelm scream. Documenting its appearances is fine and cool and all, but it is more eye-rolling than anything else to hear in modern movies.

Except by their own rules, they are 'not a wiki for bashing things'. Saying 'This is really annoying' is exactly the sort of thing that's usually not allowed, especially in a sweeping dismissal like that. Possibly they just don't get emotionally attached to sound effects the way they do to stories that contain tropes and so criticising the trope is criticising the story is criticising MEEEEEEE! ... but for whatever reason, eyes are not supposed to roll on TVTropes.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Fair point, but TVTropes seems like the kind of place that would eat that poo poo up. Perhaps they fell out of love with it because it's a nerdy in-joke that's now mainstream?

The Wilhelm usually isn't an issue for me. If it's a good movie we'll just sit back and watch it, and if it's bad we'll be MST3King it all the way.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jay O posted:

Particularly if you hear it in a scene that's meant to be dramatic or tragic.
Do filmmakers do that? I've only ever heard it (in older movies) as part of the background din in rousing action sequences or (in newer movies) as a "hilarious" "nod" to "the medium's past".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Elf in The Two Towers who gets thrown off the Deeping Wall gives the Wilhelm scream at the most inappropriate time. It's meant to be horrifying, but instead it sounds hilarious.

• Locked thread