Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

bhsman posted:

I only play FNM so I wasn't aware of that rule, but it seems dumb considering MTGO does the exact same thing.

Usually it's MTGO that is dumb, as is the case here; the rule is fine. Also normal events on MTGO aren't Competitive or Professional REL.

You probably shouldn't do the picture thing until the rules are clarified. There's a lot of grey area between referencing outside material during the game and slow play that it's worth it to just use a pen and paper.

Also the correct thing to do at FNM is to just play with your known cards face-up on the table because it's FNM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Oh I know, I'm not arguing with how much sense it makes. I just remember at the GP I went to back in Toronto, they talked about it a bit. You could take a picture of your pool (it was a sealed event), but were not allowed to post it until after the first round or something like that.

MTGO also lets you look at all your previous draft picks, mid pack, which you're not allowed to at a competitive REL event either (which I also think is ridiculous). At my local store, every draft people are talking at the table, checking their previous picks, hell, some even occasionally check the price of a card to see if it's worth picking up in later packs. I honestly feel allowing people to look at their previous picks mid-pack helps people pick faster as they don't have to stop and think exactly about how many 3 drops they have, or if they had some enablers they fell into for Nemesis of Mortals earlier in the packs when they get passed one, etc.

Now I generally take the game a lot less seriously than a lot of people though too. I have lots of friendly banter mid-game (well unless they're counting up total damage or something when you get big late game board states). I mean I still take my time, and make sure I play everything out in a smart way, and generally do decently well I feel. One of the regulars at my store played 2 seasons of Pro Tour if I remember, and I'm generally a pretty decent match against them. It just bugs me when people go on tilt/freak out over the simplest things.

TL:DR

I agree with you in thinking that it's silly, but I can understand someone asking you not to do it if it's technically against the rules, regardless of what it is (taking pictures of cards, talking during draft, etc.)

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

ManiacMatt posted:

Oh I know, I'm not arguing with how much sense it makes. I just remember at the GP I went to back in Toronto, they talked about it a bit. You could take a picture of your pool (it was a sealed event), but were not allowed to post it until after the first round or something like that.

MTGO also lets you look at all your previous draft picks, mid pack, which you're not allowed to at a competitive REL event either (which I also think is ridiculous). At my local store, every draft people are talking at the table, checking their previous picks, hell, some even occasionally check the price of a card to see if it's worth picking up in later packs. I honestly feel allowing people to look at their previous picks mid-pack helps people pick faster as they don't have to stop and think exactly about how many 3 drops they have, or if they had some enablers they fell into for Nemesis of Mortals earlier in the packs when they get passed one, etc.

Now I generally take the game a lot less seriously than a lot of people though too. I have lots of friendly banter mid-game (well unless they're counting up total damage or something when you get big late game board states). I mean I still take my time, and make sure I play everything out in a smart way, and generally do decently well I feel. One of the regulars at my store played 2 seasons of Pro Tour if I remember, and I'm generally a pretty decent match against them. It just bugs me when people go on tilt/freak out over the simplest things.

TL:DR

I agree with you in thinking that it's silly, but I can understand someone asking you not to do it if it's technically against the rules, regardless of what it is (taking pictures of cards, talking during draft, etc.)

Looking at picks mid pack is fine on MTGO because it takes out all possibility for human error/shadyness. It's all good until someone accidentally passes their pool of picks or grabs a card from their pool and then takes two cards out of the pack. It's just like passing a bunch of packs in a row to the guy who's slow picking cards next to you instead of one at a time. On MTGO this is fine because it will automatically give him the right pack, while in real life he might pick up p1p7 instead of p1p5.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Florida man beat newspaper reporter to death and buried him in concrete to steal fantasy role-playing cards worth $100,000, court hears

:catstare:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

This is why...Florida sucks...

The murdered guy DEFINITELY looks like a stereotypical gamer too...There are at least 2 guys at my LGS that look like that guy...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its the perfect crime

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Another reserve list related death.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
MTGO recording draft picks, contents of revealed hands, etc. for you makes a lot of sense when you consider that there is absolutely no way for them to stop you from using print screen, or (if your name is Wayne Robinson) taking a cell phone picture of the screen.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

qbert posted:

U/W Standard decks started running a full play set in the sideboard.

I've played almost no standard in this season but is this something that can continue to pay off? My understanding was this was pretty much a cute sideboard trick to run out a creature that demands an answer after your opponent has seen the popular threat-light build and boarded out removal accordingly.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

Looking at picks mid pack is fine on MTGO because it takes out all possibility for human error/shadyness. It's all good until someone accidentally passes their pool of picks or grabs a card from their pool and then takes two cards out of the pack. It's just like passing a bunch of packs in a row to the guy who's slow picking cards next to you instead of one at a time. On MTGO this is fine because it will automatically give him the right pack, while in real life he might pick up p1p7 instead of p1p5.

Yeah, we have a hard enough time getting people not to train packs at my LGS, anything to reduce the chance for gently caress-ups is good.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've played almost no standard in this season but is this something that can continue to pay off? My understanding was this was pretty much a cute sideboard trick to run out a creature that demands an answer after your opponent has seen the popular threat-light build and boarded out removal accordingly.

It's something that's going to oscillate back and forth. Right now, everyone is tweaking their strategies to deal with this (very easily), but then they just stop bringing in the creatures and that backfires. They swap back to cutting back on removal after board, BAM, Brimaz to the face.

He's also just really, really good in the mirror...but that will have the same sort of back and forth with sideboarding strategies for the same reasons.

Same dance that happened with Reanimator vs Graveyard hate last year.

That said, I dropped that idea from my Bant sideboard (mostly because NO ONE wants to sell me their Brimaz), and instead went with the more classic Aetherling + more counters.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Another reserve list related death.

Haha, is this actually A Thing?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

Yeah, we have a hard enough time getting people not to train packs at my LGS, anything to reduce the chance for gently caress-ups is good.

I'm curious, what am I supposed to do in this situation? I do a good job of making sure to line them up neatly and whatever, but if someone's 3 packs behind me am I just supposed to tell everyone else to not pass packs either?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I posted that a couple of pages back with a copy of Evil Twin since his criminal defense to his DNA at the crime scene was that his twin was the real murderer.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Death Bot posted:

I'm curious, what am I supposed to do in this situation? I do a good job of making sure to line them up neatly and whatever, but if someone's 3 packs behind me am I just supposed to tell everyone else to not pass packs either?
Borrowed from Wizards Judge Instructions.

5. Explain next there are 3 different zones during the draft. Each zone can only hold ONE stack of cards.

They are:

1. IN HAND zone. This is the current pack that players are drafting from.

2. DRAFTED zone. This is zone collects the drafted cards a player has selected. This pile of cards should be stacked in a single pile face down with all card backs facing the same direction. The only time a player may examine this zone, is when they are between drafting packs and this should be for approximately 1 minute.

3. PASS zone. Here a player shares this zone with another to the same side as that zone. After drafting a single card from a pack, the pack can be placed in this zone making sure it follows the current rotation. If the PASS zone is still full the player cannot add a second stack. They must wait until the zone is clear. This will also cause their IN HAND zone to remain full, stopping them from recieving the next pack.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Death Bot posted:

Don't pass a pack to someone if there's already a pack waiting for them to pick up. And tell people not to pass to you if you've got a pack in your hand and another one already waiting for you.

Training packs is like rushing to get to your seat on a plane first; it's not going to get you off the ground any quicker.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death Bot posted:

Nobody passes if the guy next to them already has a pack waiting, or if they're waiting to pass. Keeps packs from getting mxied up.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Boxn posted:

The cards made by Nagle will probably be grave hate because he hates graveyard decks even though they spices things up, or really powerful stuff that would be restricted or banned, because DRS, Jace the Moneybags, etc. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the set.
I'm looking forward to his Magister of Worth cosplay.

Gyshall posted:

Haha, is this actually A Thing?
Wizard cards are the easiest thing to fence.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Posting this here so I can find it again when Herald and SotL make it under $1 (Herald is very close already)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568408&userid=107192#post425273499

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Posting this here so I can find it again when Herald and SotL make it under $1 (Herald is very close already)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568408&userid=107192#post425273499

All I'm hearing is as soon as it goes under a dollar, devour them.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I am glad it is taking at least a little time...I managed to unload 5 spirits for $5/each.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Rules question: Who receives the benefits of an aura, the controlling player or the owning player? That is to say, if I cast Portent of Betrayal on a creature with Ordeal of Heliod, attack, and that puts the third +1/+1 counter on the creature, who gets the 10 life?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I believe it's the owner of the aura.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chainsawdomy posted:

Rules question: Who receives the benefits of an aura, the controlling player or the owning player? That is to say, if I cast Portent of Betrayal on a creature with Ordeal of Heliod, attack, and that puts the third +1/+1 counter on the creature, who gets the 10 life?

The controller.

But in that scenario your opponent is still the Controller AND the Owner of the aura.

Gaining control of a creature doesn't gain you control of auras or equipment attached to that creature.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 14, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chainsawdomy posted:

As Entropic said, the opponent owns and controls the aura. You just happen to borrowing the dude that the aura is attached to.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Entropic posted:

The controller.

But in that scenario your opponent is still the Controller AND the Owner of the aura.

Gaining control of a creature doesn't gain you control of auras or equipment attached to that creature.

Ok great, thank you. This is what I thought, and I rightfully sac-ed the creature directly to Tymaret instead of swinging first. A friend criticized me on the play.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying it's pretty rude to whip out a camera and take a picture of someone no matter what you're doing and it makes me really insecure about my greasy neckbeard that I wear solely to blend in at my FLGS. Also something about my soul.

Now the more important question - is it legal to whip out my $700 film camera to take a photo of my opponent's hand, process the negative in the darkroom attached to my flgs, and then use that as a reference for the rest of the match?

Seriously just don't take pictures in real matches.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
^^ Agree

Wtf is so hard about writing down the cards?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

I'm just saying it's pretty rude to whip out a camera and take a picture of someone no matter what you're doing and it makes me really insecure about my greasy neckbeard that I wear solely to blend in at my FLGS. Also something about my soul.

I don't really care if it makes you uncomfortable unless I was playing you, in which case you would have let me know after I politely explained what I was about to do and asked if you would be OK with it. You would also be the first to turn it down.

The absolute first thing I said was to politely ask to see their hands. You can be rude about a lot of other poo poo in this game that will never be discussed because it's obvious. It's like simple manners need to go away when a phone is involved.

poo poo, I haven't even pointed out that the card we're even discussing is Slaughter Games. Would you still feel so perfectly secure in your person while I rummage through every card in your deck?

quote:

Now the more important question - is it legal to whip out my $700 film camera to take a photo of my opponent's hand, process the negative in the darkroom attached to my flgs, and then use that as a reference for the rest of the match?

I'm pretty sure the legality of that has already been discussed as far as official tournaments, but I'm pretty sure all of that work might take longer than to write down all the cards in a person's hands!

quote:

Seriously just don't take pictures in real matches.

It has been universally preferred by everyone I've played, stop freaking out over it. It's not nearly as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

Jesus.

ScarletBrother posted:

^^ Agree

Wtf is so hard about writing down the cards?

Nothing, but using a phone is more convenient for both players? :shrug:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

I'm on mobile and it wont link correctly for me, whats the post? Speculating on herald and SotL? Seems to me like people havent made up their mind about what to pay for those yet.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Do you guys have some way of monitoring big value changes automatically or just look at individual cards on tcgplayer?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Smashing Link posted:

Do you guys have some way of monitoring big value changes automatically or just look at individual cards on tcgplayer?

MTGPrice has an automated email program you can sign up for and get updates when a big swing happens. Doesn't let you get in since it's time-delayed, but knowing when something you have lying around just jumped to sell into the rush can help you get in on the feeding frenzy before people realize Disrupting Shoal isn't actually a $16 card.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

I don't really care if it makes you uncomfortable unless I was playing you, in which case you would have let me know after I politely explained what I was about to do and asked if you would be OK with it. You would also be the first to turn it down.

The absolute first thing I said was to politely ask to see their hands. You can be rude about a lot of other poo poo in this game that will never be discussed because it's obvious. It's like simple manners need to go away when a phone is involved.

poo poo, I haven't even pointed out that the card we're even discussing is Slaughter Games. Would you still feel so perfectly secure in your person while I rummage through every card in your deck?

I'm pretty sure the legality of that has already been discussed as far as official tournaments, but I'm pretty sure all of that work might take longer than to write down all the cards in a person's hands!

It has been universally preferred by everyone I've played, stop freaking out over it. It's not nearly as big a deal as you're making it out to be.

Jesus.

Nothing, but using a phone is more convenient for both players? :shrug:

It makes you lazy and creates a bad habit if you ever plan on playing at higher RELs. Why not just create good habits that won't punish you later?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Wow that is sweet, excellent resource.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

It makes you lazy and creates a bad habit if you ever plan on playing at higher RELs. Why not just create good habits that won't punish you later?

Because after FNM I want to go drinking...if I spend an over all 3 minutes per game writing down hands and play 3 games per match at 5 matches in a night I am effectively losing the equivalent of 2 beers being drunk or 45 minutes...and that isn't including my opponent. It speeds things up for everyone involved. It isn't a matter of being lazy...it is a matter of convenience. Everyone seems to confuse and combine the two concepts.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Because with Murdergoats, later won't be an issue.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

Because after FNM I want to go drinking...if I spend an over all 3 minutes per game writing down hands and play 3 games per match at 5 matches in a night I am effectively losing the equivalent of 2 beers being drunk or 45 minutes...and that isn't including my opponent. It speeds things up for everyone involved. It isn't a matter of being lazy...it is a matter of convenience. Everyone seems to confuse and combine the two concepts.

That is a pretty intense justification for being lazy and ignoring really good advice.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OssiansFolly posted:

The loving UW Mirror will go to turns anyway, who cares if your match ends in 38 or 35 minutes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have a strict FNM schedule that I must adhere too, and abhor any deviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Don't understand the need to take pictures if I've already got a notepad out for life totals. Why would I take the time ask my opponent if it's OK for me to take a picture, pull out my phone, find the camera app, line up a shot, double check to make sure it's legible, then take a second one if it's not?

Seems like a roundabout way to justify using your fancy pocket Facebook device.

"Hold on"
*scribbles in shorthand*
"I'll pick that one, thanks."
works a lot better.

• Locked thread