Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

transfatphobic posted:

actually if you even take "selfies" youre stupid as gently caress and should have camera privileges revoked

because nobody explored the concept of self-representation before smartphone cameras were invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

do you get mad about "literally" even though both uses have been around for a long long time

i do

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
post the most worthless argument you can make referencing wikipedia

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

duTrieux. posted:

because nobody explored the concept of self-representation before smartphone cameras were invented.

it was dumb as hell then and the signature of someone too socially neutered to associate with other people

now its a ~hilarious trend~ as bad as planking

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

jfc

self-representation is pretty much as old as human civilization

stop yelling at the kids from your cyber-porch

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Eegah posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Eegah posted:

working on it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i hate all of you fuckheads

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/elevated_sperging_levels

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

im all for language evolution but selfie is a low class trash word for low class trash people

also theres a perfectly fine word already

also selfie is slang and not really fit for an encyclopedia? take that poo poo to urban dictionary :sperg:

also itll likely fall out of use in less than a decade and then you have to clean up the turds

selfie is literally meant to be the word for a self portrait done casually while "self portrait' implies both a lot of time going into it, has a faint air of art to it, and you definitely wouldn't use selfie to mean an oil painting or somethin'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Install Windows posted:

selfie is literally meant to be the word for a self portrait done casually while "self portrait' implies both a lot of time going into it, has a faint air of art to it, and you definitely wouldn't use selfie to mean an oil painting or somethin'

selfies are art

quote:

Curators Kyle Chayka and Marina Galperina will present National #Selfie Portrait Gallery, an installation of 19 emerging artists from the EU and the US who have created short-form videos engaging with the medium of the “selfie,” the omnipresent slang for digital self-portraits found across all social networks. Self-portraiture has a long artistic heritage, with devotees including Rembrandt, the compulsive self-documentarian, Courbet, who styled himself a suave Bohemian, and van Gogh, the fragile genius, bandaged at the ear. Today, the genre belongs to anyone with a camera. Self-portraiture is the most democratic creative medium available, both as a performative outlet for the social self and an intimate vehicle of personal catharsis, for artists and non-artists alike.

albeit their's are a bit more elaborate: http://vimeo.com/78098273

sinekumquat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 14, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Verdafolio posted:

selfies are art

albeit there's are a bit more elaborate: http://vimeo.com/78098273

this is trash

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

transfatphobic posted:

actually if you even take "selfies" youre stupid as gently caress and should have camera privileges revoked

what if i take them ironically

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

the entire english language was once considered low-class garbage chittering.

adhuc

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what if i take them ironically

then you're postmodern

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

duTrieux. posted:

the best part of the 'selfie' article is that half the images on it are 50-100 years old.

also what fishmech said (fishmech was right)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

look seriously if youre autism enough that you need to take a solo picture of yourself, go for it

call it a self portrait, whatever

the actual word "selfie" is annoying as poo poo because its babyization of a phrase that already exists, like saying "samsies", "friensies"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that happens all the time, do you find "blog" annoying

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

haveblue posted:

there are people who dont? i mean besides self described "bloggers"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haveblue posted:

just as language changes over time, so too do irritations about language

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ever read something from 100 years ago and its like, jesus christ you guys were smart. language is dumber now i think

i can only read in 10 second bursts// thjanks internet :rolleyes:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i for one always make to sure to refer to updating my weblog as "authoring a weblog entry" instead of the vulgar term blogging

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

spoiler if you have something called a "blog": nobody gives a flying gently caress that you have it, what you put there, or what you call it

though i do like yours fm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some people make money or even a living off they blog

explain that poo poo you genoius

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
for real though "weblog" and "web log" were awful names and at least blog is better than those

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i've had time to get over it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
all these new words are poo poo

not because they're new

because they're poo poo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Elevated sperging levels in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

:saddowns:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Elevated sperging levels in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

:saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Butt-ler (voiced by Brian Drummond in the TV series) - Betrayus' servant and butler. Like his twin brother Dr. Buttocks, he is a purple-gray Ghost with a butt-shaped head. During the Pac-War, he was known as Corporal Heineyhead and worked as a spy for Betrayus. He hates his twin brother, Dr. Buttocks. Butt-ler hated his twin brother pleasing his master.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Install Windows posted:

i for one always make to sure to refer to updating my weblog as "authoring a weblog entry" instead of the vulgar term blogging

i get irl annoyed when people use "author" as a verb when "write" would do just fine :shobon:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_culture

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if ur not a Maker ur a Quaker

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i made a quake with my butt

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

god i hate this. "Makers" are the most twee, middle-class, know-nothings around - buying $3000 3d printers to make loving plastic key chains and thinking they're hot poo poo because they made an led flash with only an arduino and some code someone else wrote

:argh:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sweevo posted:

god i hate this. "Makers" are the most twee, middle-class, know-nothings around - buying $3000 3d printers to make loving plastic key chains and thinking they're hot poo poo because they made an led flash with only an arduino and some code someone else wrote

:argh:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Advocates of maker culture claim that a greater emphasis on some memes distinguishes the newer "Maker-Culture" from earlier hobbyist learning environments:

If it can be imagined it can be made.
The first step in making a thing, even a non-physical thing, is visualizing it.

... and computers can greatly aid that visualization, including sketching, drawing, simulation, analysis, and prototyping.

A most effective step in refining/developing a thing is collaborating with others on it.

... and Internet can greatly aid that collaboration
... and digital repositories are especially useful where data is used to directly reproduce objects and their derivatives.

Begin with the end in mind.
Making things always combines form with function.
The art of making should be appreciated and celebrated.

"Maker-Culture" re-brands pursuits and processes that extend into prehistory — making things and communicating how. That re-branding helps shift focus onto the new pursuits and processes enabled and reshaped by recent innovations: Internet, open-source memes & means, and the growing ubiquity of computing tools in smaller, faster, cheaper, more flexible forms.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

transfatphobic posted:

look seriously if youre autism enough that you need to take a solo picture of yourself, go for it

i don't think something ~*~normals~*~ do could be classed as "autism" dude