Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

precision posted:

The Rock is a fantastic comedic actor, everyone watch Southland Tales right now.

"I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide."

That film gets absolutely trashed but it's actually wonderful when you realize what it is, being a satire of satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

soapgish posted:

That film gets absolutely trashed but it's actually wonderful when you realize what it is, being a satire of satire.

I'm always amazed that people couldn't figure out that a film starring Justin Timberlake, The Rock, and several Saturday Night Live cast members (including Jon Lovitz as a racist cop) might not be meant to be taken seriously.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

muscles like this? posted:

I just saw a weird commercial for Bates Motel where they specifically tell you to just go watch the first season on Netflix and it wasn't a commercial for Netflix.

Inherently silly as it sounds, if it allows them to do even a fraction of the audience building Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead have done through Netflix, then it's well worth it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On that note, hell yes season two of Bates Motel! :dance:

If you didn't watch it already you really should. It's so much better than it has any right to be.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I just saw a weird commercial for Bates Motel where they specifically tell you to just go watch the first season on Netflix and it wasn't a commercial for Netflix.

Speaking of which, give Bates Motel a spin on Netflix. No guarantees but you might be surprised.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I just finished bingeing through all seven seasons of The West Wing. Very good, I never really felt like it went through a down period, and every time I would just start to get annoyed by a story line, they would drop/resolve it.

The Jon Spencer thing was very sad, but I wonder if the show hadn't intended to go the same route it did in the final few episodes anyway? There was enough foreshadowing going way back that it didn't really feel at all out of place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could totally do a new West Wing show. It's been like 8 years so they can start with a new administration. Hey isn't the Newsroom cancelled?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think it got canceled but I believe Sorkin said he's ending it after next season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

They could totally do a new West Wing show. It's been like 8 years so they can start with a new administration. Hey isn't the Newsroom cancelled?

One more season, owing to Aaron Sorkin's busy schedule. (Possibly working in tandem with low ratings and a bruised ego.)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

The Rock is a fantastic comedic actor, everyone watch Southland Tales right now.

"I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide."

"Everybody please move to the back of the MegaZeppelin"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that house of cards premiere, holy gently caress

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Does Fringe maintain its quality throughout its run, and does it have a satisfying conclusion?

(No spoilers)

I'm halfway through the first season and quite enjoying it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

escape artist posted:

Does Fringe maintain its quality throughout its run, and does it have a satisfying conclusion?

(No spoilers)

Yes and yes. They knew ahead of time that they were having a final season so the show gets a proper ending.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

escape artist posted:

It's generally agreed that up to the end of season three is a straight climb in quality, but season 4 has mixed feelings. It really depends on how you feel about the new status quo. Still a bunch of strong episodes and moments in it, no matter what you thought. Season 5, again, radically changes the status quo. It ends strong though, that you get a stronger consensus on. Even if you thought season 4 and 5 were spotty, most people were happy with the ending.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

escape artist posted:

No and kind of.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bown posted:

that house of cards premiere, holy gently caress

Holy goddamn you are not wrong

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I was going to marathon House of Cards but after the first episode, I was like... I'm gonna take a break and watch more when I'm more awake/more sober.

So I'm staying out of my own thread for a while. Play nice in there!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I convinced a friend on a Terminator kick to start watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

They just got to the 9/11 scene in the second episode and are already convinced the show will be amazing.

TSCC Never Forget

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Wait until you get to the season one climax.

escape artist posted:

(No spoilers)

Season 1 had the most in common with Season 4 and sort of 5. Just remember that a bunch of stuff gets tossed aside, since they realized that they had to kick the plot in high gear at the end of Season 1.

DivisionPost posted:

One more season, owing to Aaron Sorkin's busy schedule. (Possibly working in tandem with low ratings and a bruised ego.)

You know his next show is going to be about how he is a genius and Newsroom was a thing of complete genius. Expect many Sorkin speeches.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Idris Elba :swoon:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I don't think it got canceled but I believe Sorkin said he's ending it after next season.

So there actually is a limit to how much he's willing to plagiarise himself? Or did the network tell him to wrap it up and gently caress off?

Either way, good riddance to the most disappointing programme since, well probably since Studio 60.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the Jeremy Irons Borgias the good Borgias?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

As far as I remember the only one who liked that godawful boring show was noted rapist Azure Horizon.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know, it was loving boring when I tried to watch it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's good if you like historical pieces (and even better if you like naughty pius people). It's a bit of a shame it never got to really finish its story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thwomp posted:

It's good if you like historical pieces (and even better if you like naughty pius people). It's a bit of a shame it never got to really finish its story.
One of the nice things about historical series is that even if they get cancelled, you know how they end.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
How does it compare to the Tudors? Because I tried to watch the Tudors and it was so bad that I went and watched a BBC history documentary afterward.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was basically exactly like The Tudors but with a better leading man, and much more boredom.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's basically a vehicle for Jeremy Irons to chew all the scenery in Rome. Then it starts to shift to allow François Arnaud to chew scenery as well.

I never saw The Tudors so I can't compare.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought Borgias was pretty good, but I can see why people would think it's boring. Still, I think Cesare Borgia was a better character than anyone in Tudors and I don't think it's nearly as unwatchably boring/bad as people are making it seem.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 14, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

The Tom Fontana/John Doman one is so much better. Plotting, acting, characterization, it's all better in their version. I wish it was the one that was on Showtime so more people watched it and talked about it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh god the first episode of season 2 of House of Cards was loving perfect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

savinhill posted:

The Tom Fontana/John Doman one is so much better. Plotting, acting, characterization, it's all better in their version. I wish it was the one that was on Showtime so more people watched it and talked about it.

I was kind of surprised to see it up on Netflix, since Showtime has their own streaming service.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Netflix also has Dexter and Weeds so there must be some kind of deal.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Speaking of Showtime, PENNY DREADFUL looks like it's going to be a hoot. Eva Green and Josh Hartnett is about all the pretty any one screen can handle, and the production design looks appropriately cold and misery-struck.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXHfEqMcis

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 15, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

soapgish posted:

Speaking of Showtime, PENNY DREADFUL looks like it's going to be a hoot. Eva Green and Josh Hartnett is about all the pretty any one screen can handle, and the production design looks appropriately cold and misery-struck.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXHfEqMcis

Is that an original story or an adaptation of a book?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is that an original story or an adaptation of a book?

I THINK it's original, but there's a book and a movie out with the same name. The movie sounds very different, I know nothing about the book.

John Logan wrote the pilot on spec, though, and ultimately scripted every episode, which goes to show how into this one he is.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Cardboard Box A posted:

I convinced a friend on a Terminator kick to start watching The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

They just got to the 9/11 scene in the second episode and are already convinced the show will be amazing.

TSCC Never Forget

This will never not be the best moment in tv history

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was going to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles relatively soon.
I lost people very close to me in 9/11 and its a sensitive subject for me sometimes.
I know the internet is filled with "edgy" people who like to make jokes at the expense of 9/11 because it will offend people like me.
Is there something in the show I should avoid or prepare for?

DivisionPost posted:

I THINK it's original, but there's a book and a movie out with the same name. The movie sounds very different, I know nothing about the book.

John Logan wrote the pilot on spec, though, and ultimately scripted every episode, which goes to show how into this one he is.

I believe "penny dreadful" is a name for Victorian English pulp fiction. So I think its just like naming something Pulp Fiction or Grindhouse. Trying to capture a period and style of storytelling. So I'm expecting X-Files or Supernatural in Victorian England.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I was going to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles relatively soon.
I lost people very close to me in 9/11 and its a sensitive subject for me sometimes.
I know the internet is filled with "edgy" people who like to make jokes at the expense of 9/11 because it will offend people like me.
Is there something in the show I should avoid or prepare for?

It's not making a joke at the people who died's expense; it's a realistic--if perhaps slightly callus--explanation by two minor characters about what happened to someone who time traveled past it happening. The two characters aren't the kind of people you'd want to go really go to for that sort of information (since their emphasis is, as the .gif suggests, on the spectacle, not the human loss), but I don't think it's disrespectful, per se. The main character they tell it to certainly recognizes the true meaning of the event, at least.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 15, 2014

• Locked thread