Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I said that Herald of Torment and Spirit of the Labyrinth would both be under $1 at some point during Standard, and someone disagreed.

MTGPrice is pretty cool, especially since I write for them! My article this week was about playing Nykthos/Genesis Wave in Modern: http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/02/12/the-jolly-green-giant/

Also in case anyone here hasn't read the OP, there's a big thread for buying/selling cards in SA-Mart. I may or not have a list of cards for sale there. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387998

I look forward to you quoting the post every few months to make sure we remember that you think that.

Also to continue popping into this thread to shill your articles.

And spirt and herald won't both be under a dollar during standard so in two years i will look forward to you eating your hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
You should package up those sets of commons and uncommons into playsets and sell them on ebay or amazon. You can always make a deckbox profile for your rares and try to trade them on there. You'd be surprised what stuff people on there want to trade for.

If anyone gives you poo poo for looking up prices during a trade, they are most likely trying to rip you off. Don't be deterred from trying to make a fair trade.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Mechanics question: I bile blight a 1/1 vanilla bestow cast as a creature that has another vanilla bestow attached to it cast as an aura. Both have the same name.

Does only one die, or do both?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Only the one that was actually a creature at the time you cast Bile Blight. OTOH, I believe Detention Sphere would exile both.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

weird vanilla posted:

Where does that idea come from?

From the Wizards Website that was used earlier:

"2) Information regarding opponent's decks.
While you can certainly get information regarding possible opponents between rounds from your friends, etc, you can't refer to these notes once the round starts."

Publishing Tournament Information is something only the Wizards can do and does so only in the interest of coverage, in this case a minor concession to the integrity of the tournament is done for the greater good.

They can't stop people from observing, talking to their friends, or really completely lock down the information so they don't try to. Its a sensible common-sense approach but you're not allowed to go loving crazy with it. You can't hand your friend a pile of notes from your previous match right before he plays a dude that he then promptly shoves in his pocket and smiles like a turd because he's technically not bringing outside notes in!, you can't take them to twitter and be all like "ATT: EVERYONE WHO PLAYS THIS GUY" the DCI has no interest in stopping people from talking about games and getting a little advice but disseminating match notes is crossing a line and I as a Judge would immediately step in.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I will always pull out my phone and price compare, even with friends. I dont want my friends to be taken advantage of unintentionally and I dont want people trying to trick me into a bad trade. As long as me and the person trading use the same resource to compare it shouldnt matter. Post those rares on here though for us to buy!

And why does anyone think herald of torment or SotL are bad cards/going to be under $1? Im genuinely curious. Spirit already seems to have a demand in several formats and I think herald is severely underrated right now and will be more appreciated when nightveil specter rotates out. I could be wrong though.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

And why does anyone think herald of torment or SotL are bad cards/going to be under $1? Im genuinely curious. Spirit already seems to have a demand in several formats and I think herald is severely underrated right now and will be more appreciated when nightveil specter rotates out. I could be wrong though.

The spirit is very very similar to Thalia in its uses. It attacks the same types of decks along a similar axis with nearly the same restrictions in deckbuilding as Thalia has. And she has been played a lot, and still has never really been over $5 iirc. They will both be played forever, but the demand for them is so small compared to standard cards, and the supply is so large that they don't get expensive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

I don't get this - I played plenty of UW - Esper matches that don't get close to time and do involve extensive Aetherling wars and proper play from both players. I guess I'm either more/less experienced than these guys that pilot the U/W/x lists to time.

vvv Also yeah let me talk about all the cool things I do that FNM threatens to block off my schedule from... hey bro where's my bro Yamazaki I need my +2/+2 and haste and don't need rules like the Legendary rule or this dumb camera rule.

Every FNM has the inevitable U/W mirror in which three of us commentate like its a featured golf match.

"And now Walser is playing his third scryland, he scrys it and does not like it. Mercual responds to Walser's turn ending by Revving for six. Again."

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

whydirt posted:

Only the one that was actually a creature at the time you cast Bile Blight. OTOH, I believe Detention Sphere would exile both.

Bile Blight's text:
Target creature and all other creatures with the same name as that creature get -3/-3 until end of turn.

The bestowed one wouldn't be a creature at the time the Bile Blight resolved, so it doesn't get the -3/-3. It'll become a creature after Bile Blight resolves and dodge the -3/-3 effect.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Stinky Pit posted:

but disseminating match notes is crossing a line and I as a Judge would immediately step in.

I'm just curious, which actual rule would you point to as grounds for stepping in, or is it just based on your interpretation of the spirit of what the DCI wants?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that tweeting what the contents of your opponent's hand were when you thoughtseized them on turn 1 is going to be the DCI's favorite thing ever but if this was actually a thing they intend to prohibit then surely they would have made a floor rule about it, no? And it's entirely possible, for all I know, that they have, which is why I'm asking you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

I'm just curious, which actual rule would you point to as grounds for stepping in, or is it just based on your interpretation of the spirit of what the DCI wants?

Sportsmanship, for starters? (It's kind of an umbrella really). Disseminating an opponent's decklist is intentionally giving that player a disadvantage for the rest of the tournament, it's clearly a malicious act.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zonekeeper posted:

Bile Blight's text:
Target creature and all other creatures with the same name as that creature get -3/-3 until end of turn.

The bestowed one wouldn't be a creature at the time the Bile Blight resolved, so it doesn't get the -3/-3. It'll become a creature after Bile Blight resolves and dodge the -3/-3 effect.

And even if it did get -3/-3, an aura doesn't have power or toughness so it wouldn't do anything.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

There is no specific rule.

You have to consider how insanely difficult it would be to write a rule that clearly differentiates between tweeting "Oh man, I just lost to Turn 1 Griselbrand" and an unreasonable dissemination of Tournament information that would create an advantage for some players/disadvantage for others. The impact on coverage, tournament reports, etc, would be a hot mess so instead the DCI wisely uses a lot of discretion.

Thankfully its never been a problem but if it needed to be addressed the rule explaining acceptable use of electronic devices specifically names the Head Judge as the ultimate authority on what is acceptable. A lot of rules are written like that, you can't hide behind the letter of the law when doing dumb-rear end in a top hat poo poo.

It bears mentioning during this discussion that nit-picks the validity of the rules regarding the use of electronic devices that the rule change to allow some use was in many ways a massive compromise. From strictly a rules and tournament integrity perspective I'm certain most judges and the DCI would prefer those devices be banned. The problem is that Phone Apps are immensely popular and penalizing their use at Competitive REL would add yet another obstacle to competitive play that new players or casual players would have to overcome. It's been the opinion of the DCI that there are far too many of those exist already and over past couple of years there has been a constant effort to try and lower the barrier to entry, in regards to the obstacles created by rules enforcement and tournament procedure.

These rules attempt to strike a lovely balance, between stopping the use of electronic devices to cheat, and having players frustrated when they are penalized for behavior that's endemic in the community and its why they look so nonsensical in some ways.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 14, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

The spirit is very very similar to Thalia in its uses. It attacks the same types of decks along a similar axis with nearly the same restrictions in deckbuilding as Thalia has. And she has been played a lot, and still has never really been over $5 iirc. They will both be played forever, but the demand for them is so small compared to standard cards, and the supply is so large that they don't get expensive.

Well I could see that. I'd still snatch them up pretty quick if I could get sets for $1/card for trade fodder if nothing else. Still can't imagine either card hanging under $1 unless something from JiN comes out that's more useful post-rotation.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Honestly I consider Herald of Torment better for mono-black than Nightveil Specter in a lot of matchups. When Nightveil eats a Lightning Strike or gets swept, any cards under it are gone for good, too. At least with HoT, if it's bestowed, you get an extra creature out of the deal.

In the mirror, that extra power eats opposing Nightveil Spectors and the evasion means you can fly over their rats. The evasion is also valuable against planeswalkers in RG(w) Monsters or WU control. Not to mention that he turns any creature on your side of the board into an immediate threat in the mid-late game. The 1 life per turn can be a pain, but if you hit a Gray Merchant or two, you should be fine.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

bhsman posted:

Then what the gently caress is wrong with photos if the hang up is the speed of disseminating information?

No, the two issues are 1) slow play, and 2) making sure you're not using notes from previous rounds or outside sources during the game. Judges have to be able to enforce these, that's why there's mention of only using 1-2 sheets to limit slow play, and how there are procedures for explaining your notes to a judge.

They have left these rules ambiguous with respect to electronic devices because it hasn't been a big issue. But searching someone's phone goes beyond just looking at their scrap papers, with potential legal consequences. If it becomes an issue that they can't enforce then they will ban it, but it just doesn't matter because right now no one at Competitive or Professional REL is gaining an advantage.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

This is a pretty accurate response. SotL's demand is derived from the second-smallest constructed format, and is a current-set rare. Herald is only playable in Standard, and even then will be only sort-of-playable as long as Nightveil Specter is legal. Remember that Abrupt Decay, heavily played in Standard, Modern, Legacy, and Cube is $5-$6.

Rares in in-print sets have to do a LOT of work to be worth more than a dollar or two. Consider Detention Sphere: http://magiccards.info/rtr/en/155.html A format role-player and barely $2.

uggy posted:

I look forward to you quoting the post every few months to make sure we remember that you think that.

Also to continue popping into this thread to shill your articles.

And spirt and herald won't both be under a dollar during standard so in two years i will look forward to you eating your hat.
I thought our bet was good natured; apparently I'm wrong.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

My point is that if someone wants to do disseminate information about a new deck, taking photos and not deleting them or texting someone is effectively the same thing you illiterate scubberdegullion.

It took me a minute to figure out your damage but it has nothing to do with how easily a picture is disseminated compared to a physical note.

Firstly, you can't distribute that poo poo like that, its unacceptable whether you use Morse Code or Tweet a Picture. You're allowed to talk to your friends, exchange tips, tweet about your match but you start making efforts to widely distribute information like that and you're going to get a suspension for something. Whether its cheating or something else is going to depend on the Judge.

Secondly, Pictures aren't an acceptable way to take notes because adhering to the rules that define how and when you can take notes would be horribly impractical. Just the loving first one "No outside notes" would require that every match, when you sit down, a Judge or Opponent would need to flip through your phone to make sure pictures from other matches aren't on the phone. There are other rules, that would be just as terribly impractical.

AnacondaHL posted:

No, the two issues are...

Beat me to it, while I tried to figure out what bhsman was on about but yeah exactly. The rules about how notes are handled cannot be easily applied to pictures, therefore pictures are not acceptable for notes.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 14, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Rares in in-print sets have to do a LOT of work to be worth more than a dollar or two. Consider Detention Sphere: http://magiccards.info/rtr/en/155.html A format role-player and barely $2.
There's also the little fact that it's a 2-of in the Event Deck with Jace III next month.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Okay, honest question, if the point is that some joe schmuck tweeting 'yo I played Owen Turtenwald and he's playing a new variant with X Y and Z' is damaging to Owen (or whoever), therefore bad, where do feature matches (let alone video matches) play into this? Surely reporting a player's play-by-plays for an entire match is much more damaging still?

I mean yes, I get that organized play has a separate interest in feature matches as a tool to promote the game (and I personally am immensely glad of their existence) but putting that aside for a moment, if it's damaging to the outcome of the tournament to show or describe someone's new brew in round 3, surely the harm done is the same regardless of who is doing the reporting?

I know they don't print deck lists until relatively late in the tournament for pretty much that reeason and that's probably a good line to draw, but nobody is talking about tweeting exact decklists here and I don't even know how you would mine that information without getting busted for slow play.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AnacondaHL posted:

No, the two issues are 1) slow play, and 2) making sure you're not using notes from previous rounds or outside sources during the game. Judges have to be able to enforce these, that's why there's mention of only using 1-2 sheets to limit slow play, and how there are procedures for explaining your notes to a judge.

Explain to me how using a phone is somehow slower than stopping to write down a list of cards.

EDIT: My point about people tweeting or what-have-you is that if the point is to underhandedly-spread information in violation of the rules, banning phones from being used to take pictures is hardly going to stop it.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 14, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

Explain to me how using a phone is somehow slower than stopping to write down a list of cards.

That part doesn't matter though?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

That part doesn't matter though?

Anaconda referenced 'slow play' in his very post, as have several other people, so I'd say it does matter at this point, if only to show why that's a misconception.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

Anaconda referenced 'slow play' in his very post, as have several other people, so I'd say it does matter at this point, if only to show why that's a misconception.

I guess fumbling through your photo album for the relevant picture(s) could conceivably take some time.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Okay, honest question, if the point is that some joe schmuck tweeting 'yo I played Owen Turtenwald and he's playing a new variant with X Y and Z' is damaging to Owen (or whoever), therefore bad, where do feature matches (let alone video matches) play into this? Surely reporting a player's play-by-plays for an entire match is much more damaging still?

Feature Matches and Coverage pretty much sacrifice Tournament Integrity in the interest of promoting the game. It's just that simple, if there is a way to promote high level play that doesn't do that I'm sure DCI would be thrilled to hear about it.

I'm not certain at what point someone crosses the line between tweeting about their match and something unacceptable, and thankfully it hasn't really been a problem, but I guarantee if someone ever manages to use technology to create a significant problem they won't be able to hide behind "well the rules say I can talk to my friends between rounds!" or "coverage does the same thing!"

bhsman posted:

There are rules, regarding notes, that exist solely in the interest of combating "Slow Play" that taking pictures cannot adhere to. For example we limit the amount of paper used to stop excessive notes grinding play to a halt, there is no sensible, easily demonstrable way to apply similar rules to photos.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 14, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Soooo, phonechat aside, one of my friends brought up an interesting idea about new lands to print. Would legendary dual lands (as in, identical to the originals except legendary) be in violation of the spirit of the reserve list or too destabilizing to modern? It seems like a pretty nice inclusion to ease the manabase price of old formats a little bit.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

I guess fumbling through your photo album for the relevant picture(s) could conceivably take some time.

Serious question: Do you have an iPhone and has it been updated?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

Serious question: Do you have an iPhone and has it been updated?

I do not have an iPhone. I have a Nexus 4. Why does that matter?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Soooo, phonechat aside, one of my friends brought up an interesting idea about new lands to print. Would legendary dual lands (as in, identical to the originals except legendary) be in violation of the spirit of the reserve list or too destabilizing to modern? It seems like a pretty nice inclusion to ease the manabase price of old formats a little bit.

That was the early thinking on the Theros duals, but it's a bad idea because it would in fact destabilize the gently caress out of modern (and standard).

You'd have to go supplemental and legacy-only to make them helpful, which brings its own bugbears about print runs.

The real answer is Snow Land - Island Swamp :getin:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

bhsman posted:

No, you are the one with the misconception. The actual question is: "how does a JUDGE determine what the slow play limit is of you taking and referencing photos with your phone?"

No one gives a gently caress if taking a picture is faster than using pen and paper. There is no guideline and limit for what determines slow play, and most attempts at making that guideline have legal consequences, or sound completely ridiculous (e.g. to emulate the 1-2 sheet of paper rule, players can only take 10 photos per game otherwise it constitutes as slow play)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Just how important is it that people don't know other people's decklists? I would think that in Legacy and Modern, you're opponents are going to be playing well-worn archetypes, meaning that you basically know the deck their playing as soon as they drop their first notable play, and Standard can get pretty drat same-y too. If you made everyone's decklist available to their opponents, wouldn't it lead to much more skill-intensive play? I mean, both players are at the same advantage/disadvantage, but now they can make more informed play decisions. However, by the same logic, it might lead to more mechanical play as well. i.e. I know you're playing Jund, so I know that I have to have a Turn 1 counterspell to stop you Thoughtseizing the best card in my hand/my most important combo piece.

I don't intend to imply that I'm some kind of tournament play expert or anything, just that hiding decklists seems like an irrelevant action, though I'm willing to be wrong.

A big flaming stink posted:

Making mana even better in Modern and Legacy would basically completely erase any significance the color pie has in either of those formats, so there is that.

Also, Wizards likes their cards being expensive, and will likely only bring the price "down" if it's guaranteed to rise back up due to increased availability increasing demand. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that most Wizards employees directly involved in Magic trade cards with advance knowledge of what archetypes will exist/become better supported, thus supplementing their income by a notable margin.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

bhsman posted:

Or, assuming cards like Slaughter Games that let you search an opponent's library, you could just record a video while you search through the deck.

I wonder if anyone has ever written down their opponents deck list after casting Slaughter Games...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

I do not have an iPhone. I have a Nexus 4. Why does that matter?

I can't speak for you, then, but it's really easy to open up the phone app on an iPhone now, which is why the talk of it being too slow was so strange to me.

AnacondaHL posted:

No, you are the one with the misconception.

Posters have complained about taking pictures being slower, so you are wrong here. Sorry.

quote:

The actual question is: "how does a JUDGE determine what the slow play limit is of you taking and referencing photos with your phone?"

No one gives a gently caress if taking a picture is faster than using pen and paper. There is no guideline and limit for what determines slow play, and most attempts at making that guideline have legal consequences, or sound completely ridiculous (e.g. to emulate the 1-2 sheet of paper rule, players can only take 10 photos per game otherwise it constitutes as slow play)

Why would you need more than one photo?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Here's an idea: ask your opponent "is it okay if I just take a picture instead of writing it down?" If he says yes, then do that. If he says no, write it down.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sharzak posted:

Here's an idea: ask your opponent "is it okay if I just take a picture instead of writing it down?" If he says yes, then do that. If he says no, write it down.

Yes, this. Jesus Christ, people. :psyduck:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

bhsman posted:

Because image stabilization on a lot of phones is awful at taking recognizable pictures.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Sharzak posted:

This is fine for FNM, but it's still against the loving rules for competitive REL and above, which is what I've been saying for 3 loving pages now. It's a bad habit to get into if you want to get into serious play.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

Its not about how many photos you need or don't dude, its about how you can't write rules, regarding many things not just slow play, comparable to those that exist for physical notes. You can't have one set of rules that doesn't apply to photos-as-notes and one rule applying to physical ones. :psyduck: Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Sharzak posted:

There are many rules that apply to notes at tournaments for many reasons. These rules cannot be easily and readily applied to pictures serving as notes so unfortunately we can't allow that idea as elegant as it may seem.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cactrot posted:

Because image stabilization on a lot of phones is awful at taking recognizable pictures.

Oh I understand having to re-take a photo, but deleting takes little time and can be accomplished between matches or even while your opponent is searching through his deck or somesuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dehtraen posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever written down their opponents deck list after casting Slaughter Games...

Writing down your opponent's whole deck is explicitly called out as slow play in the same source I linked to earlier.

• Locked thread