Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

My Face When posted:

These popped up on my facebook.

Yeah, it would be much better to have all ten people in that hole trying to weld a gas main simultaneously. Also, "Vito, local mobster"? What is this, the early 80s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LeJackal posted:

Watch out, that girl is going to grow up to be an architect.

Actually, she's a pseudo-doctor! :eng101:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Welp guess my cousin is racist:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'm assuming your cousin isn't an American citizen since if it was his head should have exploded from posting that.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

seiferguy posted:

Except a big chunk of Mexicans--especially the ones who want to move out of Mexico to seek more prosperity--are at least partly of native descent? And if you want to talk about robbing, murdering, and killing (murdering AND killing! :wow:), America isn't exactly looking great either.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I wouldn't put it past an American to post that, but holy poo poo how could you not call them out on it. I mean you don't even have to point out the obvious inaccuracy. I have a bunch of friends who are "the border jumped us" latinos.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I just can't wrap my head around how terrible that image is. The :smug: Amigo at the end is just vile too.

By the way, I was watching an old episode of Jerry Springer where a Klan member was spouting off on his view points.

If you take away the hood and the use of racial slurs? It literally sounded like Tea Party talking points. Same "WELFARE! WELFARE! ILLEGALS! ILLEGALS!"-type of garbage.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 14, 2014

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

The kind of self-reliance that's actively detrimental to one's success as a member of society, perhaps.

I'm a little skeptical of the extent to which such messages are internalized, but teaching boys that physical violence is what solves conflicts probably isn't doing them any favors.

I'm not saying it does, but it is what we as a society value and in a lot of ways what we define as being self-reliant. It's lovely but that's what it is.

But toxic masculinity is more of a feminist concern than an MRA one. At least I've rarely heard an MRA talk about it other than to try and complain about how they're also totally downtrodded (so it's to keep being sexist).

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 14, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Only the Anglo-Teutonic white man has the God-given right to steal land, you perfidious Spaniards! :britain::911:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Guilty Spork posted:

Except a big chunk of Mexicans--especially the ones who want to move out of Mexico to seek more prosperity--are at least partly of native descent? And if you want to talk about robbing, murdering, and killing (murdering AND killing! :wow:), America isn't exactly looking great either.

Wikipedia posted:

The large majority of Mexicans can be classified as "mestizos", meaning in modern Mexican usage that they identify fully neither with any indigenous culture nor with a particular non-Mexican heritage, but rather identify as having cultural traits and heritage incorporating both indigenous and European elements. By the deliberate efforts of post-revolutionary governments the "Mestizo identity" was constructed as the base of the modern Mexican national identity, through a process of cultural synthesis referred to as mestizaje ([mes.tiˈsa.xe]). Mexican politicians and reformers such as José Vasconcelos and Manuel Gamio were instrumental in building a Mexican national identity on the concept of mestizaje.[15][16]

Cultural policies in early post-revolutionary Mexico were paternalistic towards the indigenous people, with efforts designed to "help" indigenous peoples achieve the same level of progress as the rest of society, eventually assimilating indigenous peoples completely to mainstream Mexican culture, working toward the goal of eventually solving the "Indian problem" by transforming indigenous communities into mestizo communities.[17]

The term "Mestizo" is not in wide use in Mexican society today and has been dropped as a category in population censuses; it is, however, still used in social and cultural studies when referring to the non-indigenous part of the Mexican population. The word has somewhat pejorative connotations and most of the Mexican citizens who would be defined as mestizos in the sociological literature would probably self-identify primarily as Mexicans. In the Yucatán peninsula the word mestizo is even used about Maya-speaking populations living in traditional communities, because during the caste war of the late 19th century those Maya who did not join the rebellion were classified as mestizos.[18] In Chiapas the word ladino is used instead of mestizo.[19]
Sometimes, particularly outside of Mexico, the word "mestizo" is used with the meaning of Mexican persons with mixed Indigenous and European blood. This usage does not conform to the Mexican social reality where a person of pure indigenous genetic heritage would be considered mestizo either by rejecting his indigenous culture or by not speaking an indigenous language,[18] and a person with a very low percentage of indigenous genetic heritage would be considered fully indigenous either by speaking an indigenous language or by identifying with a particular indigenous cultural heritage.[20]

Which is also why some Mexicans don't like being referred to as Hispanic and its just generally an inaccurate term to refer to anyone from Latin America.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I'm assuming this guy is a full-blood Native American, otherwise this would be literally the most hypocritical thing ever posted on the Internet.

Also, the Maya still loving exist. It really annoys me how people always seem to get that wrong. The Maya are a pretty significant part of the population in southern Mexico and Central America; there are more than six million full-blood Maya in the world. 60% of the population of the Mexican state of Yucatan speak fluent Mayan; a significant portion of them speak it as a first language. Even outside of that area, most Mexicans are at least partially of Native American descent (there are white Mexicans, but they're in the minority), and there a number of organized tribes who are very active in Mexican culture and politics. Indigenous culture is far more vibrant in Mexico than in the US.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Help my brain is collapsing in on itself! I mean unless the person who did this is a Native American then this pretty much wins the title for most retarded thing on the internet today.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

My Face When posted:

These popped up on my facebook.

Is this easily disproven bullshit?

Surprise: It is!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/shirleytemple.asp

To sum up: Obama didn't lower the flags for either of these people, although Chris Christie did lower the New Jersey state flags for native daughter Whitney.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 14, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I did my senior thesis on race and national identity in post-colonial Latin America, and sometimes I wish I didn't because it makes the racism against latinos that much more infuriating.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I know that it's full of dogwhistles for poor/black, but all I see is "gently caress the rich".

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

seiferguy posted:

It's not like we stole most of what makes up the western United States from Mexico in a war or s-oh wait. :v:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

EightBit posted:

I know that it's full of dogwhistles for poor/black, but all I see is "gently caress the rich".

"So, you're against Medicare, then?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A 100% estate tax sounds good to me too.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

The rich are the least likely to sustain themselves and their wealth is confiscated from the workers.

Welcome to the struggle, comrade. :ussr:

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Every single person in this conversation is an EMT-B or a paramedic, and I know all of them have treated multiple heroin over doses.

I feel like a broken record on this, but how in the world do you have such a lack of empathy that you would deliberately withhold a live-saving medication in order keep from "facilitating their poor choices"?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

JohnClark posted:

Every single person in this conversation is an EMT-B or a paramedic, and I know all of them have treated multiple heroin over doses.

I feel like a broken record on this, but how in the world do you have such a lack of empathy that you would deliberately withhold a live-saving medication in order keep from "facilitating their poor choices"?

It's the same argument as "giving kids access to condoms will make them have more sex". It's blatantly ignoring a problem that will exist no matter what in favor of pursuing "the real problem". However they won't actually try to solve "the real problem". Because "the real problem" is being poor, a minority, or uneducated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So, reading about this substance, am I correct in understanding it has no known tendency to produce dependence or addiction? The objection is literally just that it saves addicts' lives? I mean, I'm massively antidrug, but I'm not that insanely vindictive.

Crain posted:

It's the same argument as "giving kids access to condoms will make them have more sex". It's blatantly ignoring a problem that will exist no matter what in favor of pursuing "the real problem". However they won't actually try to solve "the real problem". Because "the real problem" is being poor, a minority, or uneducated.

If I'm right, it's even worse than that argument. People addicted to heroin or other opioids are a lot less capable of rational decisionmaking than kids are regarding sex- and currently, it's a lot easier to educate minors so they have less sex than it is to cure addicts. And here the negative consequence isn't unwanted pregnancies, it's literally killing the target population. It's roughly equivalent to withholding the triple cocktail from AIDS sufferers, except without the drug resistance and stochastic uncertainty complications. I study bioethics, and I actually can't come up with a policy argument in the field that's analogously terrible.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 15, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Discendo Vox posted:

So, reading about this substance, am I correct in understanding it has no known tendency to produce dependence or addiction?

What loving difference would it make if it did? If epinephrine was addictive would you advocate taking it away from people with bee venom allergies?

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

andrew smash posted:

What loving difference would it make if it did? If epinephrine was addictive would you advocate taking it away from people with bee venom allergies?

If you have a bee allergy, then don't get stung by bees. Sorry if this is harsh, but bees have stingers for a reason.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That's all he studied for a year, was administering one drug? That's one complicated treatment!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Addicted people clearly aren't capable of rational thought. If that doesn't convince someone then they're just an rear end in a top hat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

andrew smash posted:

Well, for the sake of argument let's pretend this was a purely externalized synthetic product and not also a substance released directly in the body by things like vigorous exercise. The analysis would be a balancing test comparing medical benefit and the limited availability of alternatives versus prospective information on the anticipated rate of addiction, known secondary health effects, and the predicted likelihood of the emergence of a black market, with all the consequences that could have. We don't have good alternatives for anaphylaxis that I'm aware of, so I'd probably schedule it and implement a registry system, then push for funding for a derived product without addictive properties- much as we do with other scheduled substances.

In other words, if Narcan were addictive all on its own that would make a massive difference from a policy perspective- widespread availability could produce a whole new addicted population. If it doesn't have that effect, then the people going all "they made their choice" seem to just want all addicts to die for no reason.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 15, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, for the sake of argument let's pretend this was a purely externalized synthetic product and not also a substance released directly in the body by things like vigorous exercise. The analysis would be a balancing test comparing medical benefit and the limited availability of alternatives versus prospective information on the anticipated rate of addiction, known secondary health effects, and the predicted likelihood of the emergence of a black market, with all the consequences that could have. We don't have good alternatives for anaphylaxis that I'm aware of, so I'd probably schedule it and implement a registry system, then push for funding for a derived product without addictive properties- much as we do with other scheduled substances.

In other words, if Narcan were addictive all on its own that would make a massive difference from a policy perspective- widespread availability could produce a whole new addicted population. If it doesn't have that effect, then the people going all "they made their choice" seem to just want all addicts to die for no reason.

You're the best devil's advocate in dnd.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, they've got a good reason for it. The wages of sin are death, or so they say.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Discendo Vox posted:

So, reading about this substance, am I correct in understanding it has no known tendency to produce dependence or addiction? The objection is literally just that it saves addicts' lives? I mean, I'm massively antidrug, but I'm not that insanely vindictive.
Sorry, should've explained it better. Narcan (naloxone is the generic name) is an opiate-receptor antagonist, that is to say that it blocks the receptors that opiates (heroin, morphine, etc.) bind to, thus reversing the effects of those drugs. It's incredibly safe, with no potential for abuse and a very very limited side-effect profile. Giving it to users would have basically one effect; fewer of them would die from overdoses.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LeJackal posted:

Oh, they've got a good reason for it. The wages of sin are death, or so they say.

Of all people to have this attitude, EMTs are probably the worst. Would any of them refuse to treat a critically injured drunk driver? What about someone with alcohol poisoning? These people are pricks, plain and simple.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Discendo Vox posted:

That's twice now you've implied that the lives of addicts are something to be considered worth spending vs the possibility of creating an addiction to a different substance. As in "well that person is dead now but at least we didn't get him hooked on something else."

How much longer before you slink off for another week to once again hope everyone forgets what a piece of poo poo you are?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Well, my stated concern was more about creating a new market for a new drug of abuse, i.e. producing more addicts, than getting people who are addicted hooked on another drug. As I've mentioned before, I think of social acceptance of addiction, and the spread of addiction, as Really Bad Things. Addiction tends to come with societal costs, including human lives. I am, indeed, comfortable with producing policies that balance risk and cost in human lives against each other- it's a pretty normal approach, and you can really only evade it with really extreme deontological ethics systems that tend to require total inaction. Needing to restrict access to medically beneficial substances with addictive properties isn't controversial all on its own-it's the basis of restrictions on access to all the controlled substances below schedule I.

I think you're much more outraged by my position on this than other folks in the thread are- you really seem to want me to be some sort of horrible monster. I don't get it. Just so we're clear here, you do understand I'm not agreeing with the anti-Narcan people, right? I was saying that their position was unthinkably terrible.

JohnClark posted:

Sorry, should've explained it better. Narcan (naloxone is the generic name) is an opiate-receptor antagonist, that is to say that it blocks the receptors that opiates (heroin, morphine, etc.) bind to, thus reversing the effects of those drugs. It's incredibly safe, with no potential for abuse and a very very limited side-effect profile. Giving it to users would have basically one effect; fewer of them would die from overdoses.

Yeah, that was what I gathered. I think NIDA's targeting a similar mechanism with the "addiction vaccine" they're trying to develop.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Of all people to have this attitude, EMTs are probably the worst. Would any of them refuse to treat a critically injured drunk driver? What about someone with alcohol poisoning? These people are pricks, plain and simple.

I haven't checked, but I can just imagine there are some absolutely appalling legal cases floating around where an EMT refused to treat a dying patient on "moral grounds". Thankfully, they don't establish their own standards of care.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 15, 2014

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

JohnClark posted:

Conservatives.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

andrew smash posted:

That's twice now you've implied that the lives of addicts are something to be considered worth spending vs the possibility of creating an addiction to a different substance. As in "well that person is dead now but at least we didn't get him hooked on something else."

How much longer before you slink off for another week to once again hope everyone forgets what a piece of poo poo you are?

The problem, theoretically, would not just be the existing addicts getting hooked on something else, but rather a wide-scale distribution of a new addictive substance into the homes of people who are already predisposed to make harmful decisions. You'd absolutely be seeing an epidemic of addicts trading Narcan for their drug of choice, and so on. It's a pretty reasonable question to ask.

But, luckily, apparently Narcan isn't addictive and has few side effects (and presumably it's not prohibitively expensive), so it's an incredibly easy question as to whether or not it should be distributed.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Discendo Vox posted:

I think you're much more outraged by my position on this than other folks in the thread are- you really seem to want me to be some sort of horrible monster. I don't get it. Just so we're clear here, you do understand I'm not agreeing with the anti-Narcan people, right? I was saying that their position was unthinkably terrible.

My problem with you is pretty simple; you're an armchair intellectual who is comfortable espousing pointlessly hypothetical positions that require the deaths of entire groups of people to which you conveniently don't belong. This isn't the first time you've done it and I'm not the only one who remembers.

I deal with addicts every day. When people wish for them to drop dead for their problems the appropriate response is not "well MAYBE they'd have a point if..."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Then the naive young liberal child bear said, "I feel like a broken record on this, but how in the world do you have such a lack of empathy that you would deliberately withhold a live-saving medication in order keep from 'facilitating their poor choices'? And the wise veteran teacher grandfather business owner put down the desk he was moving to say,

"Welcome to the Republican party."

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This drug discussion seems like the prison one. When someone mentions something like "hey maybe we should treat prisoners with basic human decency" some people inevitably jump in with "WE SHOULD EXECUTE ALL PRISONERS REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCE" or "PRISONERS SHOULD GET PACKED 20 TO A ROOM WITH JUST A BARE FLOOR AND A PIECE OF BREAD FOR THEIR ONLY MEAL" etc.

Yeah, a lot of people in prison are bad people! But even bad people deserve human decency. Even the dudes who wrote the Constitution and were mostly pretty OK with literally owning other human beings as property thought to add a line about cruel and unusual punishment (although maybe some of them disagreed with who it should apply to...)

darthbob88 posted:

Plus that image is slightly racist; its depiction of "dude who votes for a living" appears to be young, black, urban, rather than the more common old, white, rural.

Nobody said he was black. You're the real racist :smuggo:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

JohnClark posted:

Obviously the secret to people never doing dangerous things is to have medical assistance less readily available. These people are putting lives in danger simply by being emergency medical personnel.

Also, Anna Stesia does not sound like they've thought the argument through and is just kind of throwing poo poo at the wall because they don't want to admit they're wrong. Airbags as a "preventative measure"? Overdose kits as a "morning after solution"?

Xombie fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Xombie posted:

Also, Anna Stesia does not sound like they've thought the argument through and is just kind of throwing poo poo at the wall because they don't want to admit they're wrong. Airbags as a "preventative measure"? Overdose kits as a "morning after solution"?

Yeah, it's all painfully post hoc.

JohnClark posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, it really fits the classical model of compassion fatigue (caution, source only partially vetted for accuracy): these folks have been repeatedly exposed to a situation that's intense/traumatic and predictable. In response, they develop a rationale to justify avoiding or detaching from the situation as a defense mechanism against further trauma. I really should have thought of this when I first read your post; health care workers are the paradigm case. JohnClark, you might want to look into whether wherever these folks work has any sort of policy or institution in place to deal with this sort of thing- compassion fatigue can eventually lead to really bad health outcomes (like refusing to treat), so a few care systems are starting to try to prevent it. That said, I don't know of any programs that have a high success rate- the only treatment I remember from skimming the literature last year was expensive therapy, pretraining, and basically cycling different people in to get traumatized.

When I teach compassion fatigue to my students, I've used the silly and far less horrifying example of Sarah Mclaughlin ASPCA ads, which produce the same effect in a microcosm. I may have to start following it up with this Narcan scenario so my students will get the ethical stakes- it's so appalling that I'll need to find another source to prove I'm not making it up.

andrew smash posted:

My problem with you is pretty simple; you're an armchair intellectual who is comfortable espousing pointlessly hypothetical positions that require the deaths of entire groups of people to which you conveniently don't belong. This isn't the first time you've done it and I'm not the only one who remembers.

I deal with addicts every day. When people wish for them to drop dead for their problems the appropriate response is not "well MAYBE they'd have a point if..."

I see that this is very personally important to you. I might argue, though, that much like the clinicians in that facebook comment thread, a degree of personal distance can actually be beneficial in thinking difficult ethical issues through. If you find my approach to this and other problems so objectionable, please do realize that these are normal methods of philosophical reasoning- trying to present the opposing position charitably, hypothesizing borderline cases, casuistry, etc.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 15, 2014