Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I still cant believe they're banging on about 7th edition 40k this year. For one thing the rulebook is still for sale, which if it was to be released in may would have come off in January to follow their previous release pattern.

For another, no way would they invalidate their box game thats only been out a year and a bit, thats financial stupidity. Combine this with the fact a new edition would anger customers instead of make them all rush out to buy the new book I am frankly shocked that this is getting so much traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

I ran my nidzilla list against an Imperial Guard army last night. The core of my army was my two flyrants and the two crones. My opponent had two Hyrdas, a quad gun and two vendettas. We got Hammer and Anvil and he got first turn.

But the Tyranids codex is fine, really.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

TKIY posted:

40k Radio hasn't missed a rumour yet.

Their track record consists entirely of someone seeing an early copy of the Space Marine codex, though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

serious gaylord posted:

I still cant believe they're banging on about 7th edition 40k this year. For one thing the rulebook is still for sale, which if it was to be released in may would have come off in January to follow their previous release pattern.

For another, no way would they invalidate their box game thats only been out a year and a bit, thats financial stupidity. Combine this with the fact a new edition would anger customers instead of make them all rush out to buy the new book I am frankly shocked that this is getting so much traction.

And as we all know, GW is known for making sound business decisions and not shooting themselves in the foot or angering their customer base.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

7th edition happening this year is just absolute lunacy.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Have you ever really, really needed to take a dump, but you've had to hold it in for so long that when you finally get to it, it takes half an hour, leaves you twenty pounds lighter, he bowl looking like it took a direct hit from an earthshaker and your rear end feeling like it? That's kind of how it feels to put together and paint multiple drop pods in a row - it leaves you with this strange sense of relief, exhaustion and utter violation from what was supposed to be a simple natural bodily function.

(To further stretch the analogy (ha!), doing the same with multiple Ghost Arks is marginally less pleasant than actually making GBS threads the drat things out in one piece)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

serious gaylord posted:

As for not doing things that are financially stupid, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the point of a GW store is. I found out recently that you can't even register pre-orders, you have to wait until they're on the website and you use the giant computer in the middle of the store to do the same poo poo that you can do at home.

edit: Don't forget White Dwarf being split up into what I've been lead to believe are weekly advertisements for stuff on their site and a monthly conversion/battle rep magazine that doesn't have any words explaining what happened in the battle or how they made said conversions.

Don't forget the current Dwarf release, where they're trying super hard to push models before the rules for them come out, because that's a great way to seem like you're not demanding money for lovely units.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 14, 2014

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

But the Tyranids codex is fine, really.

Against a practically tailored list full of AA that would get steamrolled by the current meta? Yeah, it might have some issues.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

serious gaylord posted:

To be fair, I doubt anyone predicting one-man stores without space to play more than 2 games, or the massive limits they put on direct-order items would have been taken seriously at the time and yet...

Not saying this makes the other rumors likely, but saying that GW wouldn't do something that would directly hurt their sales isn't a great argument these days.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well im just completely floored by it. Its so far out of the blue.

I'm not saying i'm an 'in the know' but with the amount of people I grew up with and worked with that now infest that company in all corners at least one of them would have mentioned a new edition of 40k. For one thing if its coming out in May they'd have been getting deliveries of the new book. 6th edition they were stockpiling from March on wards and stores had taken the then current books off sale too. So if this is due in may, a month early then all this should have begun.

Not to mention its actually a massive investment for GW to release a new rule book. They have to recall and destroy all the old stock, which means even if they keep Dark Vengeance as the starter they have to get them all back and replace the little manual. To do all this less than 2 years since you released the previous one along with all the other associated pitfalls (Parents are going to be loving pissed if they just bought Dark Vengeance at Christmas for instance) isnt just poor business sense, its lunacy that I cant believe even GW would do.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Drake_263 posted:

Have you ever really, really needed to take a dump, but you've had to hold it in for so long that when you finally get to it, it takes half an hour, leaves you twenty pounds lighter, he bowl looking like it took a direct hit from an earthshaker and your rear end feeling like it? That's kind of how it feels to put together and paint multiple drop pods in a row - it leaves you with this strange sense of relief, exhaustion and utter violation from what was supposed to be a simple natural bodily function.

(To further stretch the analogy (ha!), doing the same with multiple Ghost Arks is marginally less pleasant than actually making GBS threads the drat things out in one piece)
What a colorful analogy.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Against a practically tailored list full of AA that would get steamrolled by the current meta? Yeah, it might have some issues.

Yeah, but it's not just the super-AA list, it's any list that somehow manages to bring S7 AP4 that can shoot air targets effectively, which is to say just about everyone these days. I love Harpies and Crones, but they are absurdly vulnerable to Quad Guns and the like.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

On that note I really hate this Astra Militarum rumor that's been going on. One iteration I've seen of it says that all other armies except the Cadians have been dumped. I just really hate that name and the justification people give for is pretty much just Chapterhouse.

If they actually go with that name I really don't know what to think and just keep calling them Imperial Guard regardless.

I mean sure, some stuff will be removed since they don't technically have a model for it (a bit iffy on FW models counting or not for a mainline codex) but that massive name change seems so massively stupid.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

What a colorful analogy.

Hey!

I just want you to know that every time I see your avatar I smile.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cooked Auto posted:

On that note I really hate this Astra Militarum rumor that's been going on. One iteration I've seen of it says that all other armies except the Cadians have been dumped. I just really hate that name and the justification people give for is pretty much just Chapterhouse.

If they actually go with that name I really don't know what to think and just keep calling them Imperial Guard regardless.

I mean sure, some stuff will be removed since they don't technically have a model for it (a bit iffy on FW models counting or not for a mainline codex) but that massive name change seems so massively stupid.

Id believe the Guard name change more than 7th edition 40k this year but whatever I literally have no idea whats coming, the massive stock drop and the staff slashing thats followed could lead to anything.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013
I for one will always call my steel legion imperial guard regardless of what they do to them; though I will be pissed if they change the way that platoons work given that I just got my second full platoon finished.

Though on the topic of the rumors, I don't imagine that they'll put out a new rule book this year if only because they current book isn't even that old.

Badgersmasher fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 14, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The amount of rage I saw on Dakka over the name change to Astra Mlitarum or whatever was hysterical. It's not even a guaranteed thing, just a rumor, and it's not like you can't still call them Imperial Guard. I also think the 7th edition rumor is bogus. At most - like absolute most - I expect we could get a rulebook with FAQs and such rolled into it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, but it's not just the super-AA list, it's any list that somehow manages to bring S7 AP4 that can shoot air targets effectively, which is to say just about everyone these days. I love Harpies and Crones, but they are absurdly vulnerable to Quad Guns and the like.

Which is what exactly? Quadguns are kind of a trap in any real list, skyfiring broadsides are a waste, and crons you still get an armor save. The seer/screamer stars don't have AA, and neither does pure eldar. Stormtalons and machinegun riptides will mess them up something fierce so in those cases they will then buy you time and pull fire away from the flyrants and tfexes walking up the board.

serious gaylord posted:

Id believe the Guard name change more than 7th edition 40k this year but whatever I literally have no idea whats coming, the massive stock drop and the staff slashing thats followed could lead to anything.

It's gonna be lame to call myself an astra player instead of a guard player. I get it for IP protection reasons though.

And 7th this year? Mother of god I hope not. But then it looks like knights are finally happening (in a really lame implementation) so who knows.

:tinfoil:...Unless 7th makes escalation part of the big rulebook and maybe changes S:D to not be crazy...:tinfoil:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

On one hand, I agree that 7th edition is unlikely. On the other hand, those quarterly earning forecasts aren't going to meet themselves.

So 50/50 basically.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Which is what exactly? Quadguns are kind of a trap in any real list, skyfiring broadsides are a waste, and crons you still get an armor save. The seer/screamer stars don't have AA, and neither does pure eldar. Stormtalons and machinegun riptides will mess them up something fierce so in those cases they will then buy you time and pull fire away from the flyrants and tfexes walking up the board.

eh, I think there are lists the Quad Gun is fine or even good in. Stalkers are a thing, although you seem to despise them. Broadsides don't even really need Skyfire to ruin their day- a generic squad should pretty easily get 3-5 hits most of the time. Even when you are getting your save (such as against Tesla or Serpent Shields or whatnot) a 4+ is just not very reliable at all.

Pulling fire away from other targets is a thing, but when you are hilariously vulnerable to guns that merely annoy other units, you're not doing that job very well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Id believe the Guard name change more than 7th edition 40k this year

To be really honest, same here.

Naramyth posted:

:tinfoil:...Unless 7th makes escalation part of the big rulebook and maybe changes S:D to not be crazy...:tinfoil:

But that would require GW to think something through and actually make it balanced. :v:
If anything and they'd actually do it for the supposed 7th ed they'd probably just toss in Escalation unmodified into the big rulebook and call it a day and not give a drat.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
This is going to be a Big Problem because everyone runs around saying "Adepta Sororitas" now instead of Sisters of Battle because the faction's official name changed, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Phyresis posted:

This is going to be a Big Problem because everyone runs around saying "Adepta Sororitas" now instead of Sisters of Battle because the faction's official name changed, right?

And whenever I bust out my Squats I have to call them Homo Sapiens Rotundus. It's a problem.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wow there are so many rumors going on right now. 4 chan is having a field day with these.

Can we start our own rumor? Nobody would believe squats, but if we pick something obscure and completely ignored by GW for the last decade I am sure we stand a chance.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Wow there are so many rumors going on right now. 4 chan is having a field day with these.

Can we start our own rumor? Nobody would believe squats, but if we pick something obscure and completely ignored by GW for the last decade I am sure we stand a chance.
A number of folks here have posted fake rumors to faiet 212 or naftka or niftkin or whatever that site's called and he's printed like every single one of them.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

Wanna see this list.

Figures meaning vehicles as well. There was two land raiders. I don't have the exact list.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

BULBASAUR posted:

The word you're looking for is Demiurg.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

A number of folks here have posted fake rumors to faiet 212 or naftka or niftkin or whatever that site's called and he's printed like every single one of them.

Someone called for me? :shepface:

theironjef posted:

That has been used before the Tau codex got updated though. Pretty sure it was the dark general saying Tau would get a bunch of demiurg units.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Someone called for me? :shepface:

Yeah go tell Naftka that there's a Genestealer cult allies-only supplement coming out in April

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I wonder if the reason the rumor community has been so rabid lately isn't an overall desperation for some sort of good news to come out of the game. The most recent major codex was a mournful fart even if people are working with it, the most recent supplements have been extremely polarizing since a lot of people don't want to deal with S:D or insanely expensive superheavy/fortification kits, the supplements and the following dataslate model have made a lot of people extremely angry too, and while I think 6E is a lot of fun to play I wouldn't disagree with someone who says that there are some cracks showing in it.

Add to that the news of the stock price drop, which I think for many people produced a brief flutter of hope that things might change radically, but which seems to have been followed by GW doubling down on the 'cut costs and raise prices [or just move the paradigm to kits that are much more expensive for not that much greater a volume of plastic]' model.

Basically the current mindset of even the more decent 40K fans can easily be one that lends itself to desperation and turning on each other, and I have SA to thank for keeping me on a relatively even keel.

I haven't even played at my league in a few weeks because they moved from a model of small-to-medium-sized games that I really enjoyed, to points values creeping towards 2000 and allowing Escalation rules. :smithicide:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

What a colorful analogy.

I blame glue fumes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

theironjef posted:

That's a funny way to spell Spessdorfs.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

theironjef posted:

Malice. Let's start a rumour about Malice Marines coming out.

E: Mal? I don't remember. That one obscure Chaos god.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Malice. Let's start a rumour about Malice Marines coming out.

E: Mal? I don't remember. That one obscure Chaos god.

Malal, speak not his name lest some GW lawyer get real angry.

SRM posted:

Yeah go tell Naftka that there's a Genestealer cult allies-only supplement coming out in April

Yep.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

Malal, speak not his name lest some GW lawyer get real angry.

Yep.

I'm pretty sure that if the need arose we could assemble a goon lawyer team that would totally own the GW team.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It seems kind of far-fetched to me that we're a month away from an entirely new army release. On that note, why would they put 3 radically different army lists in a codex? I own every codex going back to 4e: Orks and this is the first time they'd be doing that, right?

I think it'd be cool to have an IK codex, but why would they tack on AdMech and some new random Merc army?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I hatelove you Goons. I've been reading this thread way too drat much and it convinced me to buy an Exocrine/Harupsex and magnetize it... that's the first time I've done that in about a decade. I wasn't really that interested in playing the game, but really missed the modeling/painting part of it.

...but then I got a flying Hive Tyrant kit.

...and then I sold some things on eBay and now I have a Tyranid Swarm box sitting in front of me.

What have I done... what... have I become?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It seems kind of far-fetched to me that we're a month away from an entirely new army release. On that note, why would they put 3 radically different army lists in a codex? I own every codex going back to 4e: Orks and this is the first time they'd be doing that, right?

I think it'd be cool to have an IK codex, but why would they tack on AdMech and some new random Merc army?
They've done campaign books (well, back in 3rd) with multiple lists in them, and in 2nd there was Codex: Angels of Death with BA and DA rules. A White Dwarf from the era also said Codex: Tyranids had separate lists for Genestealer cults and Tyranids proper, but I've never read the codex so I can't confirm that.

BaconCopter posted:

A slavering servant of the Hive Mind :unsmigghh:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BaconCopter posted:

I hatelove you Goons.

I read this thread and it convinced me to get back into the game entirely. I feel your pain. (At least the thread warned me before buying a drop pod, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BULBASAUR posted:

Zoat dataslate.

• Locked thread