Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was this thread, I think it was something with the dude who has a big Ford van looking to put a deep cycle battery in.

edit: actually started with this post I think, not the van guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755109&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post423716386

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, we have a new Rubicon and it has a locker switch for front / rear so I'd always assumed there were true lockers front and rear. Is this not the case?

Yes it has true lockers. They are electronic activated instead of the more common air activated.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

http://www.genesisoffroad.com/store/JK-Dual-Battery-Kit.html

This is the coolest Jeep dual battery system I've seen. It'll work smart by automatically disconnecting your cranking battery from any electronics when ignition is off when the voltage is too low, and it'll put the batteries into parallel if your cranking battery doesnt have enough voltage to start the engine, etc. It'll also charge your cranking battery first, etc.

Another fuckin' upgrade to put in 'the list'.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That setup is nice but we want to run a rear mounted battery. The amazon linked one is a good price but not available at the amazon.ca store. It seems like amazon.ca doesnt have ANY battery isolator kits.

ThePinion
Dec 14, 2009
http://nationalluna.com/PPPack.htm is the battery isolator/charge controller I'm using, no complaints. Idiot (me) proof install, cables go to car battery and auxiliary battery goes in the box, done. Took like 15 mins, mostly trying to route the cables neatly.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

jonathan posted:

That setup is nice but we want to run a rear mounted battery. The amazon linked one is a good price but not available at the amazon.ca store. It seems like amazon.ca doesnt have ANY battery isolator kits.

edit: nevermind you're all fancy and want to run an isolator kit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

Check out this guys stuff

http://stores.ebay.com/xxltechnology/

I have the 10" LED Bar from him, and besides it not saying rigid on it, it's the same bar.

Also here's a 50" for super cheap that a poo poo load of people over on the JK forums have bought and love

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251360406836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looks like he has all different sizes as well.

I have both real Rigid lights and the knockoff and honestly you can't tell the different in light output.
Thanks. I'll peruse the selections.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im still using my Redarc Smartstart 200A isolator unit. Auto disconects the battery when crank falls below a certain voltage and reconnects when it goes over the right voltage. Handles 200A constant and 600A rush, so its perfect for setting up to lock in when the winch is running.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jonathan posted:

Was it this thread or the Jeep thread that had some links to electronic "smart" second battery chargers ? I want to do dual batteries in mine and daddy's Jeeps.

You can always just go cheap and charge the second battery using a relay switched off the charge warning light on the alternator. It works!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The logs were a little softer than they looked - My buddy pulled me out with his Astrovan :supaburn:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Astonishing Wang posted:

The logs were a little softer than they looked - My buddy pulled me out with his Astrovan :supaburn:

I love it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

I threw a big log into the rut that got me stuck and didn't have any problems the second time! My buddy LOVED pulling out the big bad offroad machine in his mom-van.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I love the plate. And now you can claim that your Jeep is so badass that it smashes logs :v:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Where is this?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Kastivich posted:

Where is this?

Sorry, I should've put that info in with the photo. We spent the weekend in Idyllwild, California. We camped on Black Mountain at a really awesome secluded camp site. It was a mile or so up a dirt road, camping was free and there was a fire ring and picnic table. We did a couple of hikes in Idyllwild, and spent a day driving to and hiking at Ladder Canyon / Painted Canyon near Palm Springs.

We didn't really do any jeeping, but I couldn't resist driving over some stacked up logs.

Here is Painted Canyon:

This is from the Deer Springs trail in Idyllwild - I love trails like this. Lots of shade and great views, but persistently uphill so you feel like you got your rear end kicked a little bit.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Sorry, I should've put that info in with the photo. We spent the weekend in Idyllwild, California. We camped on Black Mountain at a really awesome secluded camp site. It was a mile or so up a dirt road, camping was free and there was a fire ring and picnic table. We did a couple of hikes in Idyllwild, and spent a day driving to and hiking at Ladder Canyon / Painted Canyon near Palm Springs.

We didn't really do any jeeping, but I couldn't resist driving over some stacked up logs.

Here is Painted Canyon:

This is from the Deer Springs trail in Idyllwild - I love trails like this. Lots of shade and great views, but persistently uphill so you feel like you got your rear end kicked a little bit.

I like Idyllwild a lot. Everything seems much less crowded then Big Bear. I actually think I've camped at that yellow post you are talking about. Was there any snow up there?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

My 1400 mile trip into Arizona planned a day in advance went okay. Didn't do too much Jeeping but would'nt have been able to get to these places without it. Got to visit some easily accessed abandoned areas and other places I won't bore you with.

First stop was Salton Sea because I'd never been. Not much to talk about here really, just a bunch of dickered old buildings and dead fish:

Then I had to stop off at the Desert bar (which I heard about from that episode of Roadkill where they drive the ratrod Jeep). This bar is awesome and I need to go back. It's in the middle of a big offroad area so there are offroad trails allll around it. The car park is nothing but ATVs/Jeeps/4x4 (as you can only get there via a tame offroad path), there is also a spot for shooting just before you enter the main parking lot which I didn't have time to use since I had 300 miles more to drive that evening. If you go, bring your guns.
White trash status: confirmed.

We looked at a big rear end crater:

And right by it was 2guns/Canyon Diablo, an abandoned town which sprung up while the train tracks were being built through this area (actually while they were waiting for a new bridge to be built). These photos are actually from a Navajo trading post and some more recent abandoned poo poo in the area:

And then we hiked around the Grand canyon a bit but that didn't require a Jeep. I'd like to explore the other Canyon rims a bit more in the future, to get away from all the tourists:

Hiking back out of the canyon was a massive pain in the dick, but I'm less scared of sheer drops now I think.

An honorable mention to "Bearizona" because you drive around the zoo in your car and it's pretty fun. They make you roll your windows up for the bear section.

I think I had a wolf piss on my back wheel at some point.

Awesome, so you have to use the ladders to do the trail? If you're scared of heights will you poo poo yourself?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Kastivich posted:

I like Idyllwild a lot. Everything seems much less crowded then Big Bear. I actually think I've camped at that yellow post you are talking about. Was there any snow up there?

It was amazing weather where we were - 60 to 70f during the day and chilly at night. You're allowed to pick up and burn any wood you find too, which saved us some money. There was a TON of wood around, both fallen and cut. We found snow at around 8000' - none at camp.

tuna posted:

Awesome, so you have to use the ladders to do the trail? If you're scared of heights will you poo poo yourself?

Your trip looks really cool too - I got out to the grand canyon last year but we didn't have time to hike down into it. Which trail did you do?

Yeah, you have to go up the ladders to get all the way up trail, but the highest one only went maybe 12 feet.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

Your trip looks really cool too - I got out to the grand canyon last year but we didn't have time to hike down into it. Which trail did you do?

Yeah, you have to go up the ladders to get all the way up trail, but the highest one only went maybe 12 feet.

We did a bit of Bright Angel but didn't go too far because of time constraints and whatnot. It's steep in sections (with dangerous drops) and still icy at the top so a lot of the casual families wearing converse shoes were making GBS threads themselves and turning around.

I'm going to remember that Idyllwild area for future reference, I never knew of it before.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Idyllwild, bigbear, lake arrowhead,crestline all have wonderful offroading/hiking/camping.

are any of you guys going to truckhaven in march?

ThePinion
Dec 14, 2009
When exactly is it? I was just on the other side of the Salton Sea in Slab City and there was some fun wheelin there, I'm in South-central Arizona now but I'd go back if it's early enough in March.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
March 1-2.

A few rover buddies and I are planning to go.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

March 1-2.

A few rover buddies and I are planning to go.

I'll be at TDS, thats what you mean right?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that. :v:. I've heard it called both.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Truckhaven is where it takes place - My number is (deleted) if you want to try and get together. I'm heading out from San Diego at around 1pm on Friday the 28th, I'll be there with a bunch of folks from my group. I'm not actually registering for the event, but I'll be at the raffle :D

Maybe we can do a big-rear end group camp - We'll all be friends once the beer starts flowing!

I'll let you drive the jeep if you let me drive the cursed poo poo box.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 20, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think wifey gonna bring the Wrangler too, I'll be with a buddy of mine with a caged disco.

sure you can drive shitpile. :D

I'm game for group camping.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I went to one of the local offroad parks yesterday with a fellow FJ owner and his co-worker in a new jeep. Here are a couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBvz1tiNR0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVT8ZA7Uk-Y

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThePinion posted:

http://nationalluna.com/PPPack.htm is the battery isolator/charge controller I'm using, no complaints. Idiot (me) proof install, cables go to car battery and auxiliary battery goes in the box, done. Took like 15 mins, mostly trying to route the cables neatly.

Do you have a thread about your van anywhere? I'm curious to see what that thing is exactly and what you've done to make it more offroadable and how easy/hard it was. Looking into vans again myself with similar goals.

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
here is a couple from my weekend. il grab more when i get some.. being trip leader means nooone gets good pictures of you :(
took the car up to the top of mount airley (australia) with a group. was a very hard track and made full use of the diff lock lol..

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That looks fun. We have gently caress all rock trails within a 5hr drive of Adelaide :(

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
here is a few more

and aside from the other regular modded 4wds along there was this. a 6x6 Pincouw (no idea how to spell,) ex military from 1984 loving beast.. just crawled over anything

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

blakeg posted:

and aside from the other regular modded 4wds along there was this. a 6x6 Pincouw (no idea how to spell,)
Pinzgauer

Y'all talk like you got peanut butter in your mouth. :q:

ThePinion
Dec 14, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Do you have a thread about your van anywhere? I'm curious to see what that thing is exactly and what you've done to make it more offroadable and how easy/hard it was. Looking into vans again myself with similar goals.

No, but maybe I should. I'll get on that next time I'm somewhere I can sit around on the computer for a while.

Anyways here's me stuck again. I'm not always stuck, it just seems like it because that's the only time I'm stopped and can take pix

Here is some poor bastard from earlier that day far stuck-er. I helped him dig some, but I didn't want to get close enough to try and pull him out because I knew I'd just join him instead.

And here is where I spent the night.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

He's gonna need a crane to get that fucker out.

btw: you're smart for walking. the tow points are quite soft.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThePinion posted:

No, but maybe I should. I'll get on that next time I'm somewhere I can sit around on the computer for a while.

Anyways here's me stuck again. I'm not always stuck, it just seems like it because that's the only time I'm stopped and can take pix

Here is some poor bastard from earlier that day far stuck-er. I helped him dig some, but I didn't want to get close enough to try and pull him out because I knew I'd just join him instead.

And here is where I spent the night.

Yeah that van is amazing. I'll probably be getting into a truck for a while but a van like that is definitely something I want medium-to-long term.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ThePinion posted:

Yikes. What'd he do, get buried down to the axles and then keep going?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

These new BFG's look interesting... Im gonna be needing new tyres before too long, and Im looking to move away from Mud Terrains since im doing 110km each day of twisty hills driving and its causing the muddies to just dissolve.

Bet they have poor availability and cost a loving fortune tho... and i need Six!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Ferremit posted:

These new BFG's look interesting... Im gonna be needing new tyres before too long, and Im looking to move away from Mud Terrains since im doing 110km each day of twisty hills driving and its causing the muddies to just dissolve.

Bet they have poor availability and cost a loving fortune tho... and i need Six!

Why not go with the BFG T/A KO tires? I've used em on my trucks and even with a lot of highway driving they still last. They do great for light/medium trail duty and are grippy in rain/snow. (used to run around out in the desert in New Mexico with a set on my BroncoII and F-250)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ferremit posted:

I've got Goodyear Duratracs on my jeep, and honestly, I'm not going through the hassle to get BFG a/t tires ever again. Low availability, mediocre mud performance, and they don't last as long; the duratracs have pretty deep tread and still float better on sand in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I was running duratracs and they dont like the weight of my vehicle- took only a minor knock on the wheel alignment (less than 1mm of toe) and it chewed the hell out of the outer shoulder. On a lighter truck like a jeep or a hilux im sure they would be awesome, but mine doesnt like em.

Im pretty much sold on the AT KO at this stage, just wondering if its worth waiting for the new AT KO2 or not? Spose i'll race it to release. I love the way the KM2's handle offroad, but im just doing too much on road stuff to justify the $125 a corner premium for the muddies over the AT's