Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
This is such a fun project.

Also yeah, money is limited unless you have a Meowth (or refight the elite 4), but Meowth is blue exclusive so I don't even know if they can get one. Is there any idea on who is behind all this? I'd love to hear how they came up with it and what they expected to happen with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I wonder how it buffers/selects commands (possibly just "last one" whenever new input is accepted?) and e: looks like it just inputs the commands into the emulator as they come, which ignores 90% of them, which should scale fairly well.

Although the twitch chat servers will probably catch fire before the emulator.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Pureauthor posted:

There is one single humongous stumbling block.

Surf.

Which requires you to enter the Safari Zone.

And get an item within 500 steps.

You need to pay a fee every time you enter.

I forgot about this. Yeah, there is no way they'll be able to get through this part.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Healing your Pokemon is really important I've learned.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This will be like the movie Memento except RED will just go back to misty every 5 minutes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Holy poo poo they actually got out of the city.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Forget Surf, how are they going to get past Sabrina's teleporter maze?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Endorph posted:

Forget Surf, how are they going to get past Sabrina's teleporter maze?

HOW ARE THEY GOING TO DEFEAT THIS NIDORAN MALE D:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What other games would this work with? It would have to be one that can be completed without ever needing more than one input at a time, and preferably something that's difficult to make negative progress in (i.e. getting a game over in Pokemon lets you keep your experience and saves which trainers you've defeated, and just sends you back to the Pokemon centre).

I think something like Dragon Quest III would work well, but a non-RPG would be interesting to see. Maybe a rougelike?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mario Party. :getin:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That loving Sned posted:

What other games would this work with? It would have to be one that can be completed without ever needing more than one input at a time, and preferably something that's difficult to make negative progress in (i.e. getting a game over in Pokemon lets you keep your experience and saves which trainers you've defeated, and just sends you back to the Pokemon centre).

I think something like Dragon Quest III would work well, but a non-RPG would be interesting to see. Maybe a rougelike?

Tetris :getin:

Puzzle games would work really, maybe something with sliding puzzles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Tetris :getin:

Puzzle games would work really, maybe something with sliding puzzles.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope that whenever this game is finished they move on to Gold/Silver.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Uh oh, did the script just break?

e: There it goes.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Someone make a Street Fighter 2 clone where you have two channels fight each other like this. Please.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

ghostinmyshell posted:

Someone make a Street Fighter 2 clone where you have two channels fight each other like this. Please.

Man, the possibilities for this are great. I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement this.

I messaged the creator, who said it was a combination of IRC scripting and some third party tools to accomplish this. Seems pretty straight-forward.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was thinking the same thing but with chess.

Or at least checkers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Escaping Cerrullean City appears to be a Sisyphean effort.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They managed to change the text speed back to fast.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I was contemplating hooking it up to a oldschool text adventure, Zork, Planetfall, Hitchhikers guide, etc.

It can't be that hard to hook up twitch chat to a game like that, give it a few second of wait time then pick the next relevant line of text and plug it in there.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Can a HM be dropped before use? Calling it ending that way.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Has the organizer stated his policy on unwinnable states? Does he cheat in money or does he just reset the emulator?

Also with this kind of brownian motion they're just going to level one pokemon up to 99 over the next weeks before getting to the second town.

ghostinmyshell posted:

This idea is hilarious because with the twitch delay of 30-40 seconds a round would be over before the chat even sees it, so the inputs would just be entirely random. At least now you have hundreds of people trying to pull to "UP" or "RIGHT" or something.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 14, 2014

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Well, I'll be damned. They actually made it to Bill's place.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Has the organizer stated his policy on unwinnable states? Does he cheat in money or does he just reset the emulator?

Also with this kind of brownian motion they're just going to level one pokemon up to 99 over the next weeks before getting to the second town.

This idea is hilarious because with the twitch delay of 30-40 seconds a round would be over before the chat even sees it, so the inputs would just be entirely random. At least now you have hundreds of people trying to pull to "UP" or "RIGHT" or something.

That's why I was thinking to advance the idea further you could have teams of either 30 random people or an "organized" group of 30 play each character and the rest take turns. Then it would be like the old arcades.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They saved Bill! They did it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jerkstoresup posted:

Can a HM be dropped before use? Calling it ending that way.

No, key items can't be dropped. The most likely way this ends is a crash or bankruptcy, since the players could very well run out of money trying to find HM03 in the Safari Zone.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Someone needs to do this with Street Fighter 4 ranked.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

No, key items can't be dropped. The most likely way this ends is a crash or bankruptcy, since the players could very well run out of money trying to find HM03 in the Safari Zone.

There appears to be regular save states, so it can be recovered.

It should have been pokemon blue. That way you can always get a meowth. There's still a pay day TM in red, but that can easily be discarded or used up then overwritten.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

This is the greatest social experiment ever.

Isko
May 20, 2008
Last night there were 3,000 people watching the stream when I went to bed. Now there are nearly 12,000.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They are so close to Vermilion but I don't see how they can possibly get past these two trainers without wiping.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nerf sand attack.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Killer Queen posted:

Someone needs to do this with Street Fighter 4 ranked.

IT would be nothing but Right, Down, Down-Right Fierce Punch commands.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This is incredibly hilarious to think about and watch, no idea why.

This totally needs to be done with other games like Mario Party or Tetris like others have said. Maybe versus Yoshi's Tetris Attack or Wario's Woods?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TheRamblingSoul posted:

This is incredibly hilarious to think about and watch, no idea why.

This totally needs to be done with other games like Mario Party or Tetris like others have said. Maybe versus Yoshi's Tetris Attack or Wario's Woods?

The correct answer is Octodad.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's also kind of mind-boggling to imagine this thing making it past Pallet Town, let alone beating Misty.

What are the chances of something freaky happening like summoning Missingno.?

[e]: :laffo: at beating Misty, dying to a random trainer, then going back to Misty's gym. People in chat are going insane.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 14, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
They already beat misty.

But nobody loving knows this. :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheRamblingSoul posted:

It's also kind of mind-boggling to imagine this thing making it past Pallet Town, let alone beating Misty.

What are the chances of something freaky happening like summoning Missingno.?

Really, really poor.

There are about eight night insurmountable obstacles before they get anywhere near there.

I'm willing to bet they never make it past the trash switches in Surge's gym. Its way to easy to derail that puzzle, let alone some of the later ones.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The most indecisive shopping/selling spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Office Thug posted:

I forgot about this. Yeah, there is no way they'll be able to get through this part.

The only possible way they could do this is if Twitch takes off the 30 second delay

This is amazing but you can't watch it for more than 20 seconds without going insane

• Locked thread