Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

How did getting paid / angrily quitting go?

I got a check, and all was okay.

But then when chef came in today, an hour or so ago, I got told 'hey, you should probably wait a couple days to cash that...', and how we're going to all have to cut hours starting next week.

So I have a check that will bounce in my pocket just now, and I'm drinking and writing my resignation as we speak. I swear, Wroughtirony left the industry and Murphy decided I was his new plaything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just move to Austin and be our baker, I have to open pastry on sun. Probably
Just going to burn it all down.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Because of the snow, I'm the only one in the kitchen today prepping for tomorrow. Braising 30 pounds of pork shoulder and a dozen ducks worth of confit. Then I'll try to figure out if I can make it home or if I'm sleeping here. On the bright side, I can put the olympics on one of the theater screens...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Liquid Communism posted:

I swear, Wroughtirony left the industry and Murphy decided I was his new plaything.

The demon Murphy requires constant feeding.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hey chefs, do you guys have nightmares about an order being like 6 hours late (and still needing to do it) sort of the same way other people have nightmares about being 10 years late for school?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Black August posted:

Hey chefs, do you guys have nightmares about an order being like 6 hours late (and still needing to do it) sort of the same way other people have nightmares about being 10 years late for school?

I used to have nightmares about other cooks calling off during busy services and being stuck running a 6 man line by myself. Amazingly those stopped once I got out of stupidly stressful corporate restaurants.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I have bad serving dreams on occasion. Just circling my section, brain too foggy to figure out what's going on, tables getting up and leaving because I've left them sitting too long.

The last time that dream happened it had been going on for a while and then I felt another part of my brain be like "What the gently caress is this, wake the gently caress up" and then I woke up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I have those dreams about bartending at least 3x a week.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I got a job at a small cafe a couple weeks ago, so I've been working there on my days off while I work my last few weeks at Starbucks.

I've worked straight through the last like, two weeks, and I keep having a dream about un-steamable milk during a rush.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Black August posted:

I occasionally wake up in a state of pure and unadulterated panic, thinking it's 6 am and I haven't even started breakfast.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

I used to have nightmares about other cooks calling off during busy services and being stuck running a 6 man line by myself. Amazingly those stopped once I got out of stupidly stressful corporate restaurants.
I think mostly I had nightmares about the line mysteriously not being set, or else being unable to prep in time for lunch/dinner rush.

Weird, I swear I quoted Black August. Whatever.

Oh yeah, or tickets just printing nonstop all night in my dreams.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 14, 2014

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Black August posted:

For a year I worked at a place that had screens and digital bullshit instead of kitchen printers. The chit machine dreams stopped, it was wonderful.

Now I'm back at a place that uses the normal, oldschool printers. I wake up to the (imaginary) sound at least a couple times a week.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 23, 2016

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

tomkash posted:

I've been thinking of making the sound of that machine my ringtone while I'm on holiday. I've had a fair few nightmares where staff haven't turned up or the orders are just piling in and I can't get a single order out while the chef screams at me. I had a pretty funny one where my kitchen hand had eaten some of the lamb cutlets for a function and there was no backup. Haven't had them since my old insane head chef left though, wonder why.

You just loving inceptioned this into my MIND!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, I still have nightmares about being the only one in the kitchen and suddenly getting an order for 100lbs of wings to go. Which only happened in real life twice.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
I used to have nightmares about not knowing how to put together orders, or at least not being able to keep track of what was needed when while the ticket machine would not stop printing.

I stopped having nightmares after awhile. I wasn't any more sure of myself, I just stopped sleeping.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

tomkash posted:

I've been thinking of making the sound of that machine my ringtone while I'm on holiday.

That's pretty evil. Aside from the twinges you'd cause in yourself, you'd be able to spot anyone in the know.

I occasionally "hear" the sound of those drat things randomly. No matter what I am doing, or where I am. My brain hears it.

As for nightmares, when I have them its usually more along the lines of being late as hell for work, and rushing out the door only to get there and realise I've not actually brought any of my gear.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
So, is there anything about working in the industry that makes it worth it? Reading this thread it sounds like torturous and dangerous labor, for little-to-no pay, working with terrible people, resulting in PTSD, Stockholm Syndrome, and Alcoholism?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Knockknees posted:

So, is there anything about working in the industry that makes it worth it?

Coke connections.

Also the fact that chicks dig scars.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I once woke Mr. W at 2AM screaming "JUST RUN THE drat FOOD, Mr. W! RUN THE loving FOOD!" I was just awake enough to know where I was and to shout, but still half stuck in a dream where the window was full of dying plates and there wasn't a runner or a waiter in sight.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses, haha. I asked since yesterday we had food dying in the window and one chef was asked if they had made something that should have been made about 20 minutes ago, and he got this LOOK in his eyes that immediately told me "He's had nightmares about this before".

Also yeah, I keep hearing the ticket printer going, SWEAR I hear it going, run around the corner to check, and nope. It's in my head. It's like my phone going off, I just phantom-hear it sometimes and get twigged.

Also, Happy Valentine's Day! I get an hour break before I'm back on for the night shift. Head manager left today, he got choked up when trying to speak before the dickhead shouty manager slammed a plate of whip cream into his face; everyone looked aghast. Real loving classy. Good luck chefs and waiters, who will deal with a torrent of angry broken hearts today. Sell as many bottles of wine as you can. Lie and tell them it was that $80 red that got you laid.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Black August posted:

Head manager left today, he got choked up when trying to speak before the dickhead shouty manager slammed a plate of whip cream into his face; everyone looked aghast.

This is important: did anyone turn around with a ladder on their shoulder and cold-cock a guy who had been crouching?

But seriously, find a different place to work.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
I got today AND tomorrow off! 2 days in a row?!

Too bad I will be doing adult things instead of fun things. But, at least I won't be plating a million specs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My boss asked me about my emotional well being, over the phone, through another employee, caught me off guard. What an rear end in a top hat.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Any folks here have experience working in the Minneapolis, MN area? I'm moving there in a little over two months, and I'm looking for some places to stage. I've already staged at La Belle Vie, which is my first choice, but I'm not sure if there will be an opening when I move, so I'm trying to have more of a pool to choose from in the event that I need a fallback. Other places I plan on contacting so far are The Butcher and the Boar, and Masu Sushi and Robata.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Knockknees posted:

So, is there anything about working in the industry that makes it worth it? Reading this thread it sounds like torturous and dangerous labor, for little-to-no pay, working with terrible people, resulting in PTSD, Stockholm Syndrome, and Alcoholism?

Wait, aren't those the good parts?

Seriously, it's kind of a compulsion. It's an itch that needs scratching, and it's terribly satisfying to do a difficult, lovely, and thankless job to a level of professionalism entirely out of scale of expectation. Something I've found to run across everyone who's deep into the industry is that there is a serious level of pride involved in doing poo poo well, and all of the things you mention above are just things to overcome.

On the plus side, boss made good on my paycheck, so I can buy beer for the weekend and pay the rent. Still quitting, just not walking out on the spot, so time to find another kitchen.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Knockknees posted:

It's basically for the love of what we do. We put up with an insane amount of bullshit and lovely conditions, but anyone who does this for a career does it because they love it.

I love food, I love the rush of putting out 60 perfect plates from my tiny little oven and stovetop in a couple hours, I love experimenting with taste profiles and combinations, I love the artistry of making delicious food look even better. I love watching a room full of people all happy because they're eating and enjoying. I love seeing immediate results of my labour. I physically feel better after a 14 hour day slaving on my feet than sitting at a desk doing nothing (I've had jobs where I literally did nothing) for 8.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

Knockknees posted:

you can get cheap drinks and discounts at other resturants

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

When you cook, you feel like a rockstar.

All those people in the dinning room are coming to see you.

With how little cooks make, you're very aware as to the value of money. All these people are coming and throwing down theirs that they had to do god-knows-what to earn (to the tune of $38+ a plate) for something YOU made. Musicians like when people listen to them play. We like when people appreciate our art as well.

Every ticket is a note that reads, "Please make me one(1) ART." Even if it's a dish you've made a thousand times before, each time you get to put a slightly different spin on it. I enjoy doing things the guest won't even know about. You like that crust? Ya' drat-right; I made sure the pan was screaming and I patted your scallops on a lint-free.

Cooking is a very intimate act. It's the only way save kissing for two tongues to communicate. I tell their tongue what to taste by tasting myself, adjusting, and tasting again. Only I and the guest know the sensation and flavors the guest is experiencing, and it feels wonderful to have that much power.

Also, when it's easy, it's very easy, and it's easy in those moments to forget the times when it's hard.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Note To Self: When you are told you will be working a barback position on Valentine's Night (which was real nice compared to the usual poo poo I do, I actually took orders and got treated like a competent adult by the bar staff), do not DARE to suggest that you should sign in as a barback and not a backwaiter. Managers apparently get incredibly irate and screamy when you seem to know your labor laws and aren't a stupid fresh faced schoolkid who does whatever you're told! Who knew.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

God, I learned more about labor laws while managing the kitchen in a scummy bar and grill than any sane man should have to know.

Bar owners are the shadiest motherfuckers sometimes.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Tweek posted:

When you cook, you feel like a rockstar.

That is the poo poo. Tony B. described it more like being a member of a pirate crew, but either way, the outfit is the same. Putting just the right amount of english on a plate as you spin it into the pass. There is a sense of accomplishment in knocking out a shitton of really hard, dirty work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pr0k posted:

That is the poo poo. Tony B. described it more like being a member of a pirate crew, but either way, the outfit is the same. Putting just the right amount of english on a plate as you spin it into the pass. There is a sense of accomplishment in knocking out a shitton of really hard, dirty work.

It's just too bad that we'd all make more money digging ditches. :p

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, there's nothing like the feeling of being slammed all night long, yet every move is perfect and everything goes out perfectly and on time despite the hectic insanity of a majorly busy night. The feeling of 'made it through with ease' is the best feeling.

Of course, the reverse of a few slip ups causing a major jam and gumming up the works and feeling like a total fuckup when one's mind isn't in the game leads to the direct opposite and walking out shamed and full of self loathing. So there's that.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
Got absolutely dominated tonight when a bunch of tickets came in at once and just destroyed us for 2 1/2 hours. I think our long ticket time was 40 minutes when the flat top guy forgot to fire a couple things. Not a good night.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
At least you are finished, I just getting back into work on a down note, having been snubbed to going to two meet ups I planned to go, one because my family forced me to not go to one and the other from one of my friends who other friends don't really appreciate my company. And tomorrow I have to clean steamed egg which is a complete bitch to clean up. Any advice on coping with last second anger issues so that I don't wind up losing my job?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

gyrobot posted:

At least you are finished, I just getting back into work on a down note, having been snubbed to going to two meet ups I planned to go, one because my family forced me to not go to one and the other from one of my friends who other friends don't really appreciate my company. And tomorrow I have to clean steamed egg which is a complete bitch to clean up. Any advice on coping with last second anger issues so that I don't wind up losing my job?

Speak to a therapist about figuring out how to control your temper like an adult? Your friend literally had to not bring you out to an event because of how uncomfortable you make their other friends feel.

I have fired people that were time bombs like this for being poisonous to work with.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.

Tweek posted:

Cooking is a very intimate act. It's the only way save kissing for two tongues to communicate. I tell their tongue what to taste by tasting myself, adjusting, and tasting again. Only I and the guest know the sensation and flavors the guest is experiencing, and it feels wonderful to have that much power.

Oh man this is so cool. What a great way to look at it. Kudos to you sir (:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey, how do you guys usually get your industry discounts / how much are they? A few restaurants in town have staff I've talked to enough to give me discounts, usually 10-15% - but I'd feel silly ever asking for a discount. (mostly because I'm not really in the industry)

got me curious on how this works for full fledged folks. do you drop it to your server, or do you just get out enough that people know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
There's a handshake.

• Locked thread