Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of matchmaking, do the "penalties" mentioned if you drop out of a comp match consist exclusively of the 30-minute cooldown, or is there anything else? Like a long-term naughty list of unreliable comp players who get matched with each other?

The cooldowns stack if you drop too often; you'll start getting hour+ long bans. But there is no alternative pool for less reputable players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

They're recycling way too many maps into the next operation. At this point, we're re-paying for like half of the same maps for fucks sake.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

mcvey posted:

Don't solo queue don't matchmake.

Wrong? Always solo queue, only matchmake

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of matchmaking, do the "penalties" mentioned if you drop out of a comp match consist exclusively of the 30-minute cooldown, or is there anything else? Like a long-term naughty list of unreliable comp players who get matched with each other?

The cooldown grows every time you abandon a game. 30 minutes, 2 hours, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month. It goes back down a level if you behave for (I think) 1 week.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

s0m3 guy posted:

I wonder what's more rare, Beretta 93Rs or CZ75As?

93R for CTs and CZ75 for Ts please

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Dvsilverwing posted:

They're recycling way too many maps into the next operation. At this point, we're re-paying for like half of the same maps for fucks sake.

We're paying for the drops not the maps :ssh:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

a slime posted:

Wrong? Always solo queue, only matchmake

Sure if you can get into the Euro queue where people know how to play CS... except for those lousy Russians.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

93R for CTs and CZ75 for Ts please

You're speaking my language

GO is like casuals suggestions box and pros complaint center

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

mcvey posted:

Sure if you can get into the Euro queue where people know how to play CS... except for those lousy Russians.

"Nah nah nah"

-Omar little.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Playing with a 4 stack as the 5th is so amazingly terrible every time. Guy complains relentlessly when I save my gun with 15 health and the bomb planted with 2 terrorists alive. I proceed to get a 4k the next round with everyone else saving and win us the round and ridicule him mercilessly. I of course was kicked 1 round before match point. Good times.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

BrandNew posted:

Playing with a 4 stack as the 5th is so amazingly terrible every time. Guy complains relentlessly when I save my gun with 15 health and the bomb planted with 2 terrorists alive. I proceed to get a 4k the next round with everyone else saving and win us the round and ridicule him mercilessly. I of course was kicked 1 round before match point. Good times.

I'm often on the other side of that; playing with 3 friends and a random 5th. It's really easy to point the finger at the 5th while ignoring larger mistakes of friends. Kicking before a win is saved for the biggest assholes.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

It was at the end of a loss down 14-11 because 3 of them were just awful and they did the classic only talk on 3rd party voice and complained that I was lurking when I had no idea what they were doing T side every round.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

jerkstoresup posted:

I'm often on the other side of that; playing with 3 friends and a random 5th. It's really easy to point the finger at the 5th while ignoring larger mistakes of friends. Kicking before a win is saved for the biggest assholes.

Isn't matchmaking rank based on rounds won, not games won? At least you still get credit for the rounds you played, if not the satisfaction of seeing the VICTORY thing.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Also, you still get credit for the win even if you were kicked (I believe). My friend got credit for a win even though he disconnected and his 3 minutes timed out in the last few rounds of a match the other day, not sure if kicking has the same effect though.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Haha. I love matchmaking. Was CT on nuke and some guy got the game-suddenly-drops-to-3fps bug and just gave up and walked away from his computer. Was standing in the middle of A site for a good minute. When he came back he was still alive. Even though there was a T in mini. The T just kept flashing him, peeking, and firing a bunch of wild moving AK shots, cause when he went afk he was facing mini with an AWP. We won the round.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

BrandNew posted:

I proceed to get a 4k the next round with everyone else saving and win us the round and ridicule him mercilessly.
If I was mm-ing with a 4-stack I probably would kick you for this too :shrug:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

astr0man posted:

Same. You need yo behave on the pc like you would irl. Dont act like you cant get slapped just for living.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Stacks always act tougher than individual players. It's a shame it happens to teammates, too. Games like this allow stupid people to keep acting stupid, unfortunately. Best to just ignore them and play off how they're playing. You're kinda at their mercy most of the time.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Theresa Frontpage posted:

The T just kept flashing him, peeking, and firing a bunch of wild moving AK shots, cause when he went afk he was facing mini with an AWP. We won the round.

please record a video of this

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
All this talk about round 2 after winning pistol and no one supports the nova? Nova doesn't care if you bought armor, nova will plink your head. Nova doesn't care about rushing, nova will hit all your teamates in the same shot. Nova doesn't care about your p250, nova will jump-kill you with brutal accuracy.

My first ace was recent and nova-related. I put a sticker on my walnut to commemorate.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

astr0man posted:

Would you also backseat cs while being 1-6 with me carrying the team? I am never an rear end in a top hat until you tell me how to play with terrible advice.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Why are you people solo queueing? Get ONE(1) other person and you can't get kicked.

Geschwafel posted:

All this talk about round 2 after winning pistol and no one supports the nova? Nova doesn't care if you bought armor, nova will plink your head. Nova doesn't care about rushing, nova will hit all your teamates in the same shot. Nova doesn't care about your p250, nova will jump-kill you with brutal accuracy.

My first ace was recent and nova-related. I put a sticker on my walnut to commemorate.
Problem with using a Nova after a pistol win is how close you have to be to the enemy team to use it. More than likely there will be 2+ enemies in the area and with the slow cycle time of the Nova you're dead unless you can surprise them early and get some 1HKOs in quick succession. You might get a kill or two but you've just wasted $2000+ while the other team loses nothing and gains a crappy shotgun.

Win pistol? Famas/Galil + helmet + equipment(flashes+smokes > nades). Play the round slow, don't rush a site without scouting out other parts of the map to see how the other team is set up, you could be walking into a 3+ person surprise stack. Don't solo an area because you're begging to get that gun stolen.

Lose pistol on CT? P250+helm and play at range passively(or coordinate with teammates to set something better up). Make them come to you, make them walk into your crossfire.

Shadowlz posted:

You have to have a bit of social skills to solo queue. I enjoy most of my solo MM games, you get to chat with a group of people you don't know and learn to work with them.
Yeah let's socialize with Counter-Strike Players. C'mon Shadowlz.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 15, 2014

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

You have to have a bit of social skills to solo queue. I enjoy most of my solo MM games, you get to chat with a group of people you don't know and learn to work with them.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Iriquois posted:

As a fellow Silver that's about the only valid use I've seen for decoys so far. Most people just spam them randomly at spawn which I just don't understand :psyduck:

Edit to contribute to the wider discussion: The only time I find rolls useful is dropping a flash at my feet and rushing over it to kill all the (more)blind people. Works at least 6/10 times.

I think the idea is to do it every time so they don't actually know when it's real or not. I use a decoy in a different spot every time I defend a site alone just so they can't assume which corner I'm camping (if I'm even there, I've camped decoys then left for a couple rounds with a smoke and that has worked). I'm silver, but I actually learned this from watching a much better friend play. I don't know if it's common, but it seems like a neat idea.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mcvey posted:

Why are you people solo queueing? Get ONE(1) other person and you can't get kicked.

Problem with using a Nova after a pistol win is how close you have to be to the enemy team to use it. More than likely there will be 2+ enemies in the area and with the slow cycle time of the Nova you're dead unless you can surprise them early and get some 1HKOs in quick succession. You might get a kill or two but you've just wasted $2000+ while the other team loses nothing and gains a crappy shotgun.

Win pistol? Famas/Galil + helmet + equipment(flashes+smokes > nades). Play the round slow, don't rush a site without scouting out other parts of the map to see how the other team is set up, you could be walking into a 3+ person surprise stack. Don't solo an area because you're begging to get that gun stolen.

Lose pistol on CT? P250+helm and play at range passively(or coordinate with teammates to set something better up). Make them come to you, make them walk into your crossfire.

Getting a nova after winning pistol round is dependent on where you're playing on the map imo. If I'm watching cat on D2 or A apps on inferno as a CT, I almost always get a nova as a second round buy after a pistol round win. Otherwise I roll with a bizon/mp7 or if I have a decent amount of cash from kills I'll get a famas/galil.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

teagone posted:

Getting a nova after winning pistol round is dependent on where you're playing on the map imo. If I'm watching cat on D2 or A apps on inferno as a CT, I almost always get a nova as a second round buy after a pistol round win. Otherwise I roll with a bizon/mp7 or if I have a decent amount of cash from kills I'll get a famas/galil.

Yeah you're right that it is totally spot dependent. But you can always buy a rifle second round if you've won the pistol, even with 0 kills.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

I actually don't mm much anymore at all but no one was goonmaning at the time and didn't feel like playing esea. It was the first time I have ever actually been kicked from mm because 95‰ of the time I say nothing at all besides calls.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Shadowlz posted:

I met some of my favorite people to MM with while solo queuing. I was just friendly to a 4-stack, and they invited me to play more games and now we queue all the time. We barely even speak the same language. Just don't be a goon and antagonize someone's friend when you're queuing alone, that's some obviously dumbass poo poo to do

That being said I get kicked from games while solo queuing occasionally, just for loving up on a critical round or whatever but who cares, don't get hung up on it and just keep queuing

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Getting kicked is an insult to my e-bushido and I will not stand for that! It's vile and unjust!!

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
Never talk poo poo while playing.

Especially never talk poo poo to your own teammates. I mean, you do want to win right?*

*if you're carrying and a giant sack of poo poo then anything goes I guess

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

BrandNew posted:

Would you also backseat cs while being 1-6 with me carrying the team?

If your team was 1-6 it sure sounds like you were doing a good job of carrying

edit:
vvv in that case yes I still would because 1-6 is really early in the game and everyone has bad starts sometimes? Really I don't care about this, but the point is I don't really know why you're surprised or upset that a group of 4 people kicked you from MM when you gave one of them poo poo, regardless of where you were on the scoreboard.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 15, 2014

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

astr0man posted:

If your team was 1-6 it sure sounds like you were doing a good job of carrying

Clearly I was saying he was 1-6.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
There are some players that are really hard to hate -- the top frag on my team a few matches ago was awping almost the whole time, never dropped the bomb when he was carrying it, and constantly, every single round, baited all of us just to get kills. But being topfrag and actually winning rounds by letting everyone else die so he could wait in a corner to AWP makes it hard to justify booting someone to the rest of the team. Queue-ers don't care too much about actual teamwork with a team they wont see again, I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcvey posted:

But you can always buy a rifle second round if you've won the pistol, even with 0 kills.

For sure. But for me personally, buying any rifle on the second round only happens if I'm feeling really confident in my game. Some days, I just have too much CS depression where I'd rather not risk wasting the money :haw:

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

BrandNew posted:

Clearly I was saying he was 1-6.

Don't you mean 1:6

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Are we talking about 1.6 again?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Yeah we could play some 1.6

beeman
May 7, 2008

wait did someone say aug

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

ProfessionalNinja posted:

Also, you still get credit for the win even if you were kicked (I believe). My friend got credit for a win even though he disconnected and his 3 minutes timed out in the last few rounds of a match the other day, not sure if kicking has the same effect though.

That's happened to me, but only when I got kicked very close to the end. I've gotten kicked from a game i'm certain was won by my team, and not gotten the credit as well.

Theresa Frontpage posted:

Isn't matchmaking rank based on rounds won, not games won? At least you still get credit for the rounds you played, if not the satisfaction of seeing the VICTORY thing.

I don't think anyone knows for certain because we can't see our actual elo. So the only hint we get is whether we rank up after a game or not.

I've ranked up on a tie and on a win, but never on a loss. Not to say that rounds won(or even score) has no impact, it could make you lose less elo if you did well, but I don't think it has enough of an impact to make you gain elo on a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

de_marquis is an ok map. Wouldn't mind playing it again.

• Locked thread