Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

psy_wombats posted:

I'm pretty sure tropers aren't actually horrified by Boos/MLP/fridges whatever, their urge to list everything just makes them spew out anything that could possible fit the bill, like their thousands of other strained examples.
It's basically a big game of one-upsmanship, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's basically a big game of one-upsmanship, as far as I can tell.

"You were scared by the drowning music in Sonic when you were younger? Please. I was terrified by the Boos in Super Mario Bros."

"Motherfucker I literally poo poo my pants when I first played Megaman and saw hard hats with feet. That is some Nightmare on Elm Street stuff, I tell you."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, so Linkara is just randomly grouped with the ponies in that Magic The Gathering thing? Where the gently caress did that come from?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so Linkara is just randomly grouped with the ponies in that Magic The Gathering thing? Where the gently caress did that come from?

Everything Tropers like is put into a list of Good Things. It's why they can't distinguish between thinking that Doctor Who is a fun show to kill an hour with and reading Naked Lunch.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

WickedHate posted:

There were several things other than ponies listed too (though ponies were still a good 10-20% of the entries), but I wasn't going to include the entire article because it was thousands and thousands of words. I included Linkara because I laughed at the line about how a goony internet reviewer ~almost turned evil~

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Razorwired posted:

Everything Tropers like is put into a list of Good Things. It's why they can't distinguish between thinking that Doctor Who is a fun show to kill an hour with and reading Naked Lunch.

I can think of two ways that name is misleading.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Elf in The Two Towers who gets thrown off the Deeping Wall gives the Wilhelm scream at the most inappropriate time. It's meant to be horrifying, but instead it sounds hilarious.

To be honest I think it was almost intended to be hilarious. At this point the Wilhelm scream has become a bit of an in-joke amongst some film makers that will just add it for fun sake more than say running out of audio clips of people screaming as they fall.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Razorwired posted:

But why would Troopers add Naked Lunch to a list of Good Things? It's literature, so most wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It wouldn't make it on the list, and it's why entries for noted pieces of literature are snotty (where its required reading in school) or non-existent.

e: oh wait, they consider it sci-fi, so of course it's a Good Thing.

quote:

My God, how do you summarize the 1959 novel Naked Lunch, the seminal work of beat generation author William S. Burroughs, in mere words?

A dystopian sci-fi meets Dante's Inferno, but experienced by a heroin addict in the 1950s. A carnival of everything middle-class America apparently feared at the time: experimental sexuality, drug abuse, foreigners, interracial relations, 'forbidden sciences', comic books, gang violence and mob rule. A Take That against traditional American values and perceived hypocrisies which reads like a collaboration between Allen Ginsberg and Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Some editions of the book include an author's foreword, where Burroughs explains the title. The phrase "naked lunch" is meant to describe the unvarnished truth about what people do to survive in society. The specific lunch that Burroughs wants to unclothe is the custom of capital punishment. He objects to the fact that many people who endorse capital punishment are still reluctant to pull the switch, throw the first stone, or otherwise take on the moral responsibility for what he considers murder. In a sense, "naked lunch" is the opposite of euphemism. Thus his famous quote, "Let them see what is at the end of that long newspaper spoon." Of course, Burroughs, by his own admission, doesn't remember writing most of the actual text of the book, so the author's foreword could very well be Retcon.

The third paragraph sounds like it was copy pasted from somewhere, though, so I don't think there was too much effort put in here.

To contrast:

quote:

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a 1958 novella by Truman Capote.

The novella is about a nameless gay writer's friendship with Holly Golightly, a bicurious, borderline Hooker with a Heart of Gold. The story was a touching meditation on the varying nature of love, and how people of disparate backgrounds can form unconventional family groups.

In the 1961 Film of the Book, Audrey Hepburn wears a fabulous Givenchy dress and holds a cigarette in a holder.

Short. Borderline dismissive.

e2: haha, looking through the Hooker with a Heart of Gold page:

quote:

Grushenka from The Brothers Karamazov is depicted as this for most of the book. It doesn't help that her beauty is such that a man can't really take his eyes off her. But later on, we learn that she's a nice person at heart, not the manipulative slut we'd imagined. Some people would be disappointed by that.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 15, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Venusian Weasel posted:

But why would Troopers add Naked Lunch to a list of Good Things? It's literature, so most wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It wouldn't make it on the list, and it's why entries for noted pieces of literature are snotty (where its required reading in school) or non-existent.

Tropers are not citizens of Bizarro World who instantly hate everything you like. They're just dumb teenage nerds and people mentally stuck as dumb teenagers.

Now who wants to see tropers getting angry about Spongebob episodes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/SpongebobSquarepants

said page posted:

Tropers/Aldo930: "Nature Pants" is not a bad episode, but the characters are very OOC. When did SpongeBob want to leave his job to go live among the jellyfish? When did Patrick take the loss of his best friend so badly he decided to make him a trophy? Again, not bad, but the episode suffers because of it.

I am very concerned about the logic of this show about a cartoon sponge.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

All of those are people upset that they made a joke.

quote:

ZehMonsieur: It's not a bad episode altogether, but "Krabby Land" has a particular moment that I cannot stomach at all. In the episode, Krabs opens up an "amusement park" next to the Krusty Krab made out of junk in the hope that children will play there and purchase his food during summer vacation. To make sure they don't leave early, he has SpongeBob entertain the kids to stall for time until Krabby the Clown arrives, when he's really just counting the children's money. Spongy puts himself through physical hell keeping the kids occupied, going from pouring bubble mixture into his eyes, to being run over by a truck, to being ripped in half. The real low for the episode comes in when SpongeBob, already given much of himself, rushes into Krabs' office, clearly bruised and missing his limbs, simply telling Krabs he doesn't know if he can stall them for much longer. Krabs' reponse to his hardest-working employee amounts to little more than "piss off and stop thinking of yourself;" and when Krabs finds out the kids are playing with SpongeBob's arms and legs, he's concerned not for the yellow guy's safety, but he's concerned that the children will break his windows. In the past, Krabs has been shown to be caring of SpongeBob's well-being (giving him time off to get his mind back in order in "Pickles;" sending him back home when he's clearly ill in "Suds;" etc.), so seeing him act so callously and disregard SpongeBob's physical health in favor of money would not seem out of place in a post-movie episode. Even if he does get what's coming by the end of the episode, it's still quite jarring to see the normally affable and friendly Krabs behave like the money-grubber he'd be Flanderized into.

The joke is that Mister Krabs is a greedy boss. I'll admit that I felt it was unfair to Tom when Jerry beats up on him all the time as a kid but now I get that, like, the whole show is physical gags. If the situations didn't happen there wouldn't be any humor. The ideal show for tropers is characters acting entirely consistent and doing always exactly what you'd expect them to do. (Because that makes classification easier.)

I looked around for more jokes that tropers didn't find funny.

quote:

fluffything: Fairly Oddparents is one of those shows that has moments that are terrible, but usually they're not downright offensive. I say usually because this is one of those downright offensive moments. Namely the (in)famous episode known as Twistory. Why is it a DMOS and why is it offensive? Because it manages to insult two (Count em! Two!) countries at the same time. The episode basically boils down to Timmy wishing he could interview some of the Founding Fathers (In this case George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson) for his report on the American Revolution. It starts out funny enough (Though, Washington's obsession with chopping wood was nothing short of obnoxious), but it gets ugly when Timmy's wish changes history. And, here, folks, here is where we enter the DMOS zone. The alternate history Timmy accidentally creates is pretty much a world where the USA remains a British colony complete with stereotypical Cockney accents, bad hygiene, and no advancements in technology since the 1700s. Wow, just...wow. I didn't even make this episode and I still want to go up to every British person in the world and go "I'm so sorry this episode exists". It's no wonder Nickelodeon rarely (if ever) airs it during reruns of the show.
Yes, truly, this was Nickelodeon's The Song of the South.

quote:

Kishou: Nega-Timmy has two for me. The Turners find out that they're the bad parents the Bad Parent Hunter is after (especially after they just gave Timmy a beaker of acid to play with and shoo him off just to watch the show), but instead of genuinely reforming as good parents, they become even more obnoxious. That's the first DMOS for me. This prompts Timmy to wish to do the opposite of what they want him to do. When they say "be good", he becomes evil, and is out to destroy Dimmsdale, or at least the powder factory and their way of life (which came out of nowhere). The second comes as Timmy's dad, excited at his laser, telling him to be "as evil as possible". It turns Timmy to normal. My problem? Since the wish makes him do the opposite, it means he has to be as good as possible. And his jerky, selfish, Aesop-forgetting, dimwitted self is the greatest amount of good he'll ever be. I understand it was a convenient way to fix the problem, but it just rubs me off the wrong way.
Posting this one just because that guy doesn't understand the difference between rubbing someone the wrong way and rubbing someone off the wrong way.

Though I'm pretty sure the former is included in the latter.

e: crossposting with gamers.txt because tropers were VERY OFFENDED by the dumb singleplayer mode in Brawl

quote:

lazyfox: Now, I loved Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I thought Subspace Emissary was good considering that no characters talked throughout the entire thing (except Snake's one introduction line). However, there's one thing that really, really irritated me: Sonic getting the shaft when it came to story in Subspace Emissary. Now, whether you love or hate him (or are just sick of him), there's no denying that he's the most widely anticipated character to appear in SSB. And all you give him is a single Big drat Heroes moment with absolutely no explanation? What the hell, Sakurai? Where did he come from? What was he doing? How did he get there? Why was he there? One of the things I looked forward to the most was seeing him interact with the Nintendo characters. Hell, it would've awesome if it was Sonic that Mario had to travel with, forcing two of gaming's biggest rivals to work together and maybe overcome their bitter rivalry throughout the course of the story. But nope. Fans played through hours of story, going through a painful and tedious maze, and what was the payoff? A single, short moment with no context. To this day, it still grinds my gears.
Come on Sakurai where was the deep plot about rivals forced to work together? :argh:

quote:

ilovedededeAGAIN: The worst scene in this game is when Luigi gets turned into a trophy. King Dedede, my trademark favorite character in video games (hence my username) turns Luigi into a trophy. Wario then comes along (with trophies of Ness and Peach or Zelda) in his vehicle and plans on taking the Luigi trophy. But then guess what happens: a squad of Waddle Dees come and attack Wario (WTH?) and King Dedede manages to steal Wario's vehicle. King Dedede may be a video game villain, but he's not THAT bad for a villain (compared to Bowser or Ganondorf), so there was no reason the writers of the Subspace Emissary cutscenes had to turn him into a car robber (at least he gets better close to the ending). The worst part, though, is that Wario never gets his car back. The whole plot of the Subspace Emissary would probably change dramatically if King Dedede stole Bowser's car (yes, he has one too) instead, because back in an earlier level he turned Donkey Kong into a trophy. It would actually be better than stealing Wario's car, since Wario looks like a weak fighter, compared to Dedede himself and his horde of Waddle Dees (don't forget his hammer). Wow, Sakurai. You really did it this time.
Dedede might be a villain but he's not a CAR THIEF :(

quote:

Tyrathius: The Kirby characters were a bit of a Spotlight-Stealing Squad for pretty much the entire game, but there's one moment in particular I thought was really stupid: The beginning of the game. The stadium is attacked by primids, but they are easily defeated by Mario, Kirby, Peach and Zelda. But then Petey Pirahna shows up, and somehow manages to One-Hit KO Mario, a character who has defeated him with ease numerous times in his own series. Petey then preceeds to capture Zelda and Peach without a fight, even though both of them are capable fighters in their own right. Yeah, a minor boss is able to defeat three of Nintendo's biggest name characters, for seemingly no reason other than to force you to do the subsequent boss fight using Kirby. Not only is that a bad idea from a gameplay perspective (what if the player just isn't any good with Kirby?) it makes Kirby seem like an unbeatable Mary Sue who trounces threats the other characters can't handle with ease. Even if they wanted the Princesses captured as a nod to their Distressed Damsel roles in their main series, there was no reason to get rid of Mario.
Mario would easily be able to beat Petey Pirahna this is highly implausible :mad:

Djeser fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 15, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Djeser posted:

Dedede might be a villain but he's not a CAR THIEF :(

The gently caress? In his actual games Dedede stole food. Like, all of it. Because he's a greedy rear end in a top hat. Stealing a car is nothing compared to that.

And besides, he did it because he wanted to put his sticker things on all those statues and give them a 1up. And Wario was a villain anyway so who cares if he doesn't get his car back. He is literally Bad Mario.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I really want to go play some Smash Bros now. But I'm not going to complain about the storyline because it's a kids' fighting game and the storyline has no real impact on the gameplay.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
I find it strange that he's up in arms about Dedede stealing Wario's car, but seems to give no fucks about Dedede turning Luigi into an inanimate object.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I really want to go play some Smash Bros now. But I'm not going to complain about the storyline because it's a kids' fighting game and the storyline has no real impact on the gameplay.

The storyline is literally "remember when you were 6 and you would have your Ninja Turtles and Transformers go tag team against Shredder and your sister's Summer Fun Ken?"

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Razorwired posted:

The storyline is literally "remember when you were 6 and you would have your Ninja Turtles and Transformers go tag team against Shredder and your sister's Summer Fun Ken?"

Replace Summer Fun Ken with G.I. Joe in there and the answer will be "Yes."

And you figure Tropers would eat something like that up (the whole "Let's gather cartoon characters/video game characters together and have them interact") since fanfiction does that a lot (when it's not romantically shipping them), as seen with this trope page for the Disney Saturday morning show, "House of Mouse" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/HouseOfMouse?from=Main.HouseOfMouse).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Penny Paper posted:

And you figure Tropers would eat something like that up (the whole "Let's gather cartoon characters/video game characters together and have them interact") since fanfiction does that a lot (when it's not romantically shipping them), as seen with this trope page for the Disney Saturday morning show, "House of Mouse" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/HouseOfMouse?from=Main.HouseOfMouse).

I guess the biggest non-fanfic example (which would be a big thing in nerdy circles, at least) is Kingdom Hearts. I've not played a KH game since the PSP one from 2010 or so. Now, don't get me wrong, I liked Kingdom Hearts a lot back when I was in school, but it's basically an interactive shonen anime which crosses FF + Disney, and it's probably just a matter of time before it includes Star Wars characters as well, right?

Anyway, that's reminded me of something I read about on TV Tropes way back when I first discovered the website. It's not Dozerfleet, I'll grant you, not even close. This is a fanfic metaseries called Undocumented Features, which crosses over everything, encompasses five sets of stories and has been continuously written for more than twenty years.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 15, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Metal Loaf posted:

Anyway, that's reminded me of something I read about on TV Tropes way back when I first discovered the website. It's not Dozerfleet, I'll grant you, not even close. This is a fanfic metaseries called Undocumented Features, which crosses over everything, encompasses five sets of stories and has been continuously written for more than twenty years.
I... uh...

Huh.

:pwn:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Man, I loved Kirby as a kid.

Let's see if tvtropes can gently caress it up!

Fanfic Recs: Kirby posted:

Shipping Fics
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.

None yet.

:unsmith: Maybe I dodged the bullet on this one.

YMMV: Kirby posted:

Rule 34: Sadly not even Kirby is immune to it.
:gonk: No links glory hallelujah but the fact that apropos of nothing they felt the need to point this out is depressing. Also, how is this "your mileage may vary"?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's probably listed under YMMV because there was some big drama about tropes like Ruined Forever or They Changed It, Now It Sucks being listed on trope pages themselves, so a separate namespace was made just for those tropes that not everyone might agree with. A lot of tropes that were vaguely subjective got put there too so that no one would get upset.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Djeser posted:

It's probably listed under YMMV because there was some big drama about tropes like Ruined Forever or They Changed It, Now It Sucks being listed on trope pages themselves, so a separate namespace was made just for those tropes that not everyone might agree with. A lot of tropes that were vaguely subjective got put there too so that no one would get upset.

That makes sense but in this instance, they're saying Rule 34 applies to Kirby, which is - ugh - apparently a fact, not an opinion.

I also just checked Fandom Berserk Button which is mostly a boring collection of spergs talking about how saying something incredibly specific amongst other spergs will cause them to "ANNIHILATE" you and various other BRUTAL acts of retaliation.

This one is my favorite:

quote:

Just try calling a Brony a Furry instead, or claim they're into bestiality, or bring up the infamous Lyra Plushie, or just show them this old gem. You'll hear insults you never thought existed, and be lucky to escape with your life.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

quote:

Just try calling a Brony a Furry instead, or claim they're into bestiality, or bring up the infamous Lyra Plushie, or just show them this old gem. You'll hear insults you never thought existed, and be lucky to escape with your life.

What are they going to do, sit on me? Rub their neckbeards in my face?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Have you seen Eyes Wide Shut?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A scratch from one of those fingernails is likely to get infected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This guy will come round to your house and wreck up the place.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Your house will be burnt down by this rear end in a top hat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

furries will perform "what did the fox say" with their dicks hanging out of their fursuits

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I would be worried about the sitting one, since the human body can only take, like 300 pounds of pressure on the chest (I'm estimating). Any more and you can die of suffocation.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Metal Loaf posted:

Holy poo poo, this thing was written by MegaZone? As in "bought an SA account to defend his decision to legally change his name to MegaZone" MegaZone?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ninjasaurus posted:

That makes sense but in this instance, they're saying Rule 34 applies to Kirby, which is - ugh - apparently a fact, not an opinion.

I also just checked Fandom Berserk Button which is mostly a boring collection of spergs talking about how saying something incredibly specific amongst other spergs will cause them to "ANNIHILATE" you and various other BRUTAL acts of retaliation.

quote:

Say anything positive about Tharja from Fire Emblem Awakening. At all. Be ready for angry detractors to accuse you of supporting child abuse.
Don't mention Priam's name around Ike/Soren shippers. Actually, don't discuss Priam's liniage at all. And don't even think about mentioning Sumia's name around Chrom/Female Avatar shippers. Or claim any Avatar pairing is "canon".
For a while following the announcement of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones's localization, using the localized names would get the old-school elitist fans screeching and throwing fits.

Yeah, Fire Emblem fanbase.txt

I would run through the Fire Emblem Awakening YMMV page but it's pretty goddamn stupid.

EDIT: Apparently the YMMV for Kirby rule 34 is that some poeple whack to it so they can't just say that it sucks that a cute little puffball has porn of it.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 16, 2014

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Ninjasaurus posted:

:gonk: No links glory hallelujah but...

This is a problem I can solve! :haw:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

:smith:

Way to remind of just how much I missed Fan Fiction Friday. Sucks so hard that Rob left Topless Robot.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Testekill posted:

:smith:

Way to remind of just how much I missed Fan Fiction Friday. Sucks so hard that Rob left Topless Robot.

Yeah... :( It's too bad. But all good things must come to an end someday.

Speaking of coming, if you make it through that first link: HARD MODE

[/derail]

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Furry Fandom is like shooting fish in a barrel but I felt a little queasy after reading through Bestiality Is Depraved and Interspecies Romance so if some brave soul wants to tackle those, best of luck.

The funniest thing about the page is that 90% of it talks about sex despite repeatedly claiming "the freaks who :fap: are in the minority wahh we're being fursecuted persecuted".

Internet Backlash posted:

Openly identifying as a furry is loaded. Although acceptance seems to be (very slowly) spreading, and even Something Awful tolerates open furries if they're civil, i.e. not an Attention Whore or complete nutcase, those are banned once they stop being entertaining. However, a good deal of the more civil sites seem to accept or ignore furries these days. It seems it's fairly safe to be a furry nowadays so long as you don't walk into the lion's den.

If only SA was more civil. :qq:

Values Dissonance posted:

The perception of the Furry Fandom worldwide is different between countries: While in the English-speaking world and some few others the perception is more negative, in other countries, especially Japan, Korea, and Latin America, at worst you can be considered a furry and being treated as childish or an idiot, but rarely as a nature deviant. The fact the mythologies of those countries has LOTS of animal motiffs does help.

ahahaha :japan: is once again one of their imagined safe havens because the West just doesn't get low ages of consent, furries, etc.

The Discussion tab is as entertaining as you'd expect, and very easy to sum up with a single emoticon:

quote:

A vote for the article being okay enough as it is. At most it could use a tad more tweaking so that it doesn't sound overly apologetic. TV Tropes has a fine style of dry wit that doesn't cross over into the typical mouthbreathing "trolls trying to one-up each other" that the Internet runs on. The article already has /plenty/ of examples of furry associations that would unsettle or squick "the normals" so it's not a whitewashing piece.

:smug:

quote:

How do I make a Fursona? Do I just pick my favorite animal or just take a personality quiz? I like odd animals like Armadillos and Alligators so I'm not sure how to make one? also I messed up the one above so maybe delete that one?

quote:

I'm curious, does this look like a forum to you?

:ironicat:

quote:

Am I the only that thinks the examples are starting to get out of hand, again? Why does this page need examples, anyway?

quote:

What examples? There are only tropes here.

quote:

Why does it need those, either? It's a fandom, not a work of fiction. There aren't tropes for sci-fi or fantasy fandoms.

quote:

Start new pages for them and write their tropes there. And stop Complaining About Fandoms You Don't Like.

If only one of them had mentioned rape, this would be tvtropes distilled into its purest form.

"Back in the Furry Fandom [s posted:

tropes[/s] examples list"]Several entries on this very page are often made up or unreliable, so everything here should be taken with a grain of salt, as well.

THIS SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF EVERY TVTROPES PAGE.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Looking back on it, Fan Fiction Friday was pretty bad. Like, some of the stuff was hilarious in a surreal, trainwreck way (the Cars fanfic with DOUBLE BUMPER TENTACLE PENETRATION :wtc:), but over time you would get entries realize how untethered from normal standards of decency the series would get when he'd post things like kid Link getting raped by a sandworm. Eventually he realized how far beyond the pale he was going (IIRC it was a moment of awareness with a Spirited Away one where the girl was getting raped by the Noh monster :gonk:) and started dialing back on the fics he mocked. It was occasionally fun to read, but for the longest time it was just an awful cesspit of a weekly feature.

Actually, come to think of it Topless Robot could be as bad as or worse than TVTropes on occasion. I think that's why I gradually stopped reading it in 2010-2011.

The hardcore nerd lifestyle, man. :(

e: what the hell, I'm a soiled soul anyway:

quote:

Bestiality is Depraved

"We as a culture have become so desensitized that sex with animals has become funny. We [have] grasped the concept and mocked it." — Kyle Kallgren, on Vase de Noces

The opening quote here suggests that this trope plays bestiality off as as some really dark, twisted humor

quote:

Want to mark a character as a sexual deviant, but don't want to run into the Unfortunate Implications that tropes like the Depraved Homosexual or Bisexual or the Psycho Lesbian have? Simple. Imply that they have a sexual interest in animals. Preferably farm animals, since common pets still might be a bit too squicky for some.

Oh. It's just a lazy way to mark a character as deviant. I like the idea that pet animal bestiality is squicky, but farm animal bestiality isn't. Or that the concept of bestiality isn't squicky to begin with. Or the concept of sexual deviancy isn't squicky in general. It's not as if people are grossed out by people like Ed Gein (:nms:a man who skinned women to make a woman suit:nms:) or Jeffrey Dahmer or anything. It's entirely possible to avoid the aforementioned tropes if you can handle the subject matter with care, but nope, TVTropes just advises to skip the step of becoming a careful writer and going straight to bestiality as a marker of sexual deviancy.

quote:

This is almost always played for laughs, rather than titillation.

It's funny because they gently caress animals, hahahaha.

quote:

It works partly because actual bestiality is rare enough to seem less "real" than other acts considered perverted, similar to the unreality of cartoon violence — yet common enough that it's more plausible (and perhaps less gross?) than necrophilia.

Where does bestiality fit in on the trooper tiers of acceptance? Above or below necrophilia?

quote:

We don't normally worry about the animal, because of said unreality and our moral distance from animals. Since the animals in question are not anthropomorphized and are usually the more "comical" ones found in nature (goats, sheep, chickens).

Uhhh, the whole reason bestiality is wrong in the first place is because the animal can't meaningfully consent. We worry about the animal precisely BECAUSE of our moral distance from them!

quote:

Also, there are not (yet?) "Bestiality Pride" parades of the type that would inspire letter writing campaigns against the trope's use.

Uh...I don't even know where to start here.

quote:

Bestiality is also known as Zoophilia or Zoosexuality, and the Furry Fandom do look down upon it, just so you know.

This comes off as incredibly defensive.

Discussion:

quote:

topic

Lenoxus

09:55:45 PM Jan 17th 2011 If no one objects, I'm going to add to the stated reasoning behind why "It works". I don't really think the lack of public support for bestiality is why this trope can be acceptably played for laughs; after all, there's no widespread support for pedophilia, and that certainly isn't played for laughs except in the quarters of Dead Baby Comedy. This trope's ubiquity must have more to do with our moral distance from animals, plus the outright rarity of the practice, which adds to its weirdness and makes it less "real" (like cartoon violence).

:cry:

quote:

Ion288

The real life section holds several examples of "rumors" and the legal status of bestiality. Shouldn't this be under other?

Yes, this page catalogues real-life instances of bestiality and places where it may be legal. :barf:

quote:

Tambov333

Re: Aberforth pic... Isn't it Just a Face and a Caption? I could restore it otherwise.

Not to mention Fanon.

Apparently this page used to have a shout out to Harry Potter bestiality fan art.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 16, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

You don't have to be a brony to enjoy this.
Heck, you don't have to be a FAN or a frequent watcher of the show to enjoy this.

This isn't the first time I have seen this kind of story before, where a fictional character comes into the real world to someone familiar with the character, and takes care of them for a certain period of time. The one I read years ago was of a different fandom altogether, and was more of the premise of an injured character falling into our world and a person who knows who they are takes them in and grows to love them, and then experiences heartbreak letting them go.

I cannot find that story anymore, so I can't say for sure how emotional that story was. This may have reminded me of it, but this story is oh-so much better, and done a lot more realistically than the other was. It's full of heart, and a lot of care and thought went into it. If this was a Self Insert Fic, I wouldn't have cared in the least, it was that well-written.

As mentioned above, I'm not a fan of the show. I have seen a few episodes, and clips, and I do like it, but I just haven't gotten around to sitting down and watch it all the way through to fully appreciate it. Despite that, I appreciated this story, and understood it very well. I was reading along to a fanfic reading of it on You Tube, and the reader breaking down half-way through the story, and sobbing at the farewell was a testament to me that this is a powerful story. It makes you look deep inside yourself, and watch as your heart explodes numerous times throughout the course of Rainbow Dash growing up in the hands of a closet brony himself who came to love her as a real pony with a real soul, and his daughter.

Bronies and Fillies, and those who aren't, all over the world who have read this story will whole-heartedly agree, I guarantee it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Here's the index of Anatomy Tropes. Breast-related tropes are in bold.

Abnormal Limb Rotation Range
A-Cup Angst
Anal Probing
Animation Anatomy Aging
rear end Shove
Barbie Doll Anatomy
Boobs of Steel
Breast Attack
Breast Expansion
Body Pocket
D-Cup Distress
Extendable Arms
Fake Boobs
Fake Muscles
Flexing Those Non-Biceps
Funbag Airbag
Gag Boobs
Gag Nose
Gainaxing
Groin Attack
A Head at Each End
Heart in the Wrong Place
Hermaphrodite
Hidden Buxom
Impossible Hourglass Figure
Invisible Anatomy
Limb-Sensation Fascination
Literal Change of Heart
Marshmallow Hell
Misty May
Monster Modesty
Multiboobage
Nose Shove
Orifice Evacuation
Orifice Invasion
Retractable Appendages
Ribcage Stomach
Rubber Hose Limbs
Sinister Schnoz
Stomach of Holding
Sudden Anatomy
Treasure Chest Cavity
Triple Nipple
Useless Spleen
Who Needs Their Whole Body?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

TV Tropes has a fine style of dry wit that doesn't cross over into the typical mouthbreathing "trolls trying to one-up each other" that the Internet runs on.

I laughed so hard that I almost died from coughing and sneezing, thanks to this cold I have. I still can't look directly at that sentence without a tertiary amount of amusement. It's just the perfect tvtropes.txt headliner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

He kept it going for a little while when he started writing for io9 but he was told to discontinue it because it the users there thought it was too cruel on the writers or something. I also think one of his new editors also wrote erotic fanfic and took personal issue? I may have misremembered that part.

Still, there were some funny ones (everything by Andrew Troy Keller and Comics Nix, for example, or the one where Donald Duck learns Daisy has been having an affair and forgives her because, "It's what Christ died on the cross for.").

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the best fffs were the garfield ones, that's my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3apwRVz2Yk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Love Beyond Circuits, Love Beyond Flesh" is the greatest Fan Fiction Friday and that's that.

• Locked thread