Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Might be the one where there's a cultist leader in front of ~15 mobs and you have to destroy the shrine to Aten behind him. If it's that one, I ran around behind it without aggroing any mobs and shot it from range. The cultist guy ran at me but I killed it before he aggrod any other mobs.

Luisfe, what's your name in game? I haven't been playing much due to lack of interest but I can send some Pax your way to allow you to buy some better stuff from the auction house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just bought some new stuff from the auction house, will try again.

My character's name is Loosf and I am on Arcadia.

Edit: Well that was WAY easier. drat. Only aggroed the Voice once, could handle him, and finished that quest in one go.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Luisfe posted:

Just bought some new stuff from the auction house, will try again.

My character's name is Loosf and I am on Arcadia.

Edit: Well that was WAY easier. drat. Only aggroed the Voice once, could handle him, and finished that quest in one go.

Ahh, okay the Voice, so it's the monster mummy. Not quite a statue, he's some sort of giant mutant zombie.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 14, 2014

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
I miss playing with you guys. There's no chance anyone's coming back to this game on a permanent basis, right?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
When Tokyo comes out. Yeah right :haw:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I logged in to see if anyone was still doing flappy. I had like, four people in the instance. This was six minutes past its opening...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dely Apple posted:

I logged in to see if anyone was still doing flappy. I had like, four people in the instance. This was six minutes past its opening...

People are, but the number's going down every day. Wouldn't know it if you asked the zealots, though.

My bet, it'll be abandoned in a fortnight at the latest. Not even the bad-game-design-lovers are gonna stick around for longer.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
This is the single most desolate MMO you could ever play. Outside Agartha I have only once run into another player, we were both just so confused because we probably removed both of our chat boxes and forgot where the gently caress they were.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Cleretic posted:

People are, but the number's going down every day. Wouldn't know it if you asked the zealots, though.

My bet, it'll be abandoned in a fortnight at the latest. Not even the bad-game-design-lovers are gonna stick around for longer.

Nah, all other instances were probably full and besides it's early morning in Europe / late evening in America (I guess) which you also have to take into account. It's loving packed during EU prime time at least.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

This is the single most desolate MMO you could ever play. Outside Agartha I have only once run into another player, we were both just so confused because we probably removed both of our chat boxes and forgot where the gently caress they were.

I was gifted it by my friend who called it "The best single player experience that is somehow called an MMO." He was right. After Zombieland it was my own world. The PvP is so unbalanced that it makes Huttball seem well-designed, so...

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dely Apple posted:

I was gifted it by my friend who called it "The best single player experience that is somehow called an MMO." He was right. After Zombieland it was my own world. The PvP is so unbalanced that it makes Huttball seem well-designed, so...
Let's not go nuts. Your friend is exactly right though, this would've made an awesome adventure game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

orcane posted:

When Tokyo comes out. Yeah right :haw:

People have put so many expectations on the Tokyo content update that it'll never live up to them. People hate to hear it, but they need to move away from the raidathon/instance grinding crap and start embracing some of the newer mechanics that have been introduced in the genre. The game's strength isn't in its ability to put out repetitive instanced content every month or so.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Release was amazing for population. Certain quests became batshit insane too. There's this one quest in the first egypt zone where you have to man a mortar and blow up hordes of incoming cultists, as the Marya fight below you. Except past the bridge at that area is an infiltration quest too.

There were about six players, and between the constant mortar fire bombarding the place and the players not being idiots, it was incredible. Think something out of an action movie. Just a squad of players with assault rifles and magical doodads rampaging through an area that's supposed to be done stealth while everything blew up around them. :black101:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Is there any way to make the text/font on the lore menu to be bigger?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dely Apple posted:

I think that's why i'm still sticking to this game. I encountered Jeffery Coombs and I liked his dialogue, and kept playing. I really want to leave Kingsmouth though, holy poo poo, when do i leave?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I'm sure everyone got the email, but apparently if you login today you get some exclusive necklace costume piece for free, so there's that at least. Claim from store.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Otacon posted:

I'm sure everyone got the email, but apparently if you login today you get some exclusive necklace costume piece for free, so there's that at least. Claim from store.

You can even claim 3 of them (account wide) and trade them to new characters (hahaha why would you make a new character).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To farm signets, of course.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I've tried doing this event maybe five times in the last two days. I have yet to remember to tab back in. And then, oops, three more hours!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly, the issue with this game is that Kingsmouth is amazing.

And then you get to Egypt and, uh... not so much.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I liked Egypt :ohdear: (though not so much CotSG)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Honestly, the issue with this game is that Kingsmouth is amazing.

And then you get to Egypt and, uh... not so much.

On the bright side, immediately after CotSG, you get Transylvania. The Besieged Farmlands is my favorite zone in the game.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cheston posted:

I've tried doing this event maybe five times in the last two days. I have yet to remember to tab back in. And then, oops, three more hours!
I've managed enough to get the Inky pet for the achievement, but not enough to get all of the costume pieces from the bag. I've had pretty appalling luck with the bags, apart from the one purple aux overdrive signet I got.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I really liked the Scorched Desert.

City of the Sun God is too big though :( And combat heavy. And bad. And I can't finish the tier 9 to get to the goddamn boss of the area and AAAGH.

Edit: Still better than the loving bug monsters, god drat I hate those.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cheston posted:

On the bright side, immediately after CotSG, you get Transylvania. The Besieged Farmlands is my favorite zone in the game.

The last transylvanian zone is also pretty good too if you'd like to see a preview of how things are inexorably starting to slide into the poo poo for the world.

Actually, the second zone is good for that too once you factor in the first impression you can get from it. Especially once you get to certain areas of it. It's just less "Snowy mountain quickly going to hell as it's infested with eldritch abominations and rabid roided out vampire hordes." and more "Holy gently caress why is the loving forest mutating into something out of a death world in Warhammer 40K?".

Honestly, when you take the stories in those last two zones in total, they're grim as hell. Not sure how the hell anyone's going to clean those places up short of dropping a few tactical nukes on them. Not that that'd probably stop the hole in reality that's sitting there.

I'd say it'd be interesting to see where they take those story lines, but good loving luck with that given that it took them this long to get to Tokyo.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 15, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Luisfe posted:

I really liked the Scorched Desert.

City of the Sun God is too big though :( And combat heavy. And bad. And I can't finish the tier 9 to get to the goddamn boss of the area and AAAGH.

Edit: Still better than the loving bug monsters, god drat I hate those.

Generally speaking when people here complain about Egypt, they're complaining about CotSG. The Scorched Desert is wildly different from Solomon Island and Transylvania, so it's a bit of whiplash and different enough that it'll get lumped in with the other Egypt zone, but it's not bad. Scorched Desert has some of the best NPCs in the game, and is generally one of the most enjoyable of the single zones.

Zephonith posted:

I've managed enough to get the Inky pet for the achievement, but not enough to get all of the costume pieces from the bag. I've had pretty appalling luck with the bags, apart from the one purple aux overdrive signet I got.

I've got the bandage skirt and a Supernal Diode in the 'good' field. I've also got a bunch of energy drinks (none of them the type I actually have a shortage of, of course), nigh-worthless green signets, a useless amount of bullion, and slivers.

I'll be honest, I'm still going not because of the rewards or because the fight is enjyable. I'm turning up because I read my raid a scene from a Shakespeare play every day, and it's always fun to do that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I just switched to a beginner build of blade/chaos, and holy poo poo, it just puts the assault rifle to shame. Granted AR was support and long range damage in the first place, but still, my days of safety off/hip shot and anima shot are over.

I'm finding SP and AP points harder to get now, and I kinda regret not at least trying to fill an outer wheel skill, rather than blowing most of it into shotgun inner wheel, which i have yet to use outside tutorial.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 15, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Scorched Desert owns and Said is one of the best NPCs in the entire game, right up there with the Innsmouth Academy crew.

CoSG kind of falls flat, mostly for gameplay reasons-- it's horrible to navigate-- but also because out of all of the zones, it's the most divorced from the world as we know it, which is one of the main draws of the TSW setting— seeing all of the unspeakable forms lurking beneath a familiar veneer. City of the Sun God is just a Magical Desert so it might as well be Uldum, Thanalan, or any other Obligatory Desert Zone in an MMO.

Actually, I take it back, no zone in gaming history is worse than Uldum.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I've gotten all but two pieces of Flappy's clothing, assuming the rumors of a black jacket and military helmet are false.

That's all the good stuff I got. Meanwhile, my friend gets Astral Fuse and Supernal Diode back-to-back.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 15, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just watched a video of 50ish dudes doing it. It runs like poo poo and I have no idea how you can actually PLAY that. It looks horrible and gently caress you Funcom for life. gently caress you. Ugh.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's a lot better than Super Hel. I run near-max and don't get much of a drop that I notice.

Super Hel was nuts, though. Total slideshow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tallgeese posted:

It's a lot better than Super Hel. I run near-max and don't get much of a drop that I notice.

Super Hel was nuts, though. Total slideshow.

Yeah, this is honestly probably the best megabosses are going to get. I can only hope other people realize that too, and stop trying to force it.

At their 'best' it's still way too long, laggy as gently caress for some people, and a fight where absolutely nobody has any real personal impact. The last part gets me the worst, and I genuinely don't understand why it doesn't bother anyone else.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is honestly probably the best megabosses are going to get. I can only hope other people realize that too, and stop trying to force it.

At their 'best' it's still way too long, laggy as gently caress for some people, and a fight where absolutely nobody has any real personal impact. The last part gets me the worst, and I genuinely don't understand why it doesn't bother anyone else.

Because 60 people pressing "1" at 2fps is creating a sense of community.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rincewind posted:

CoSG kind of falls flat, mostly for gameplay reasons-- it's horrible to navigate-- but also because out of all of the zones, it's the most divorced from the world as we know it, which is one of the main draws of the TSW setting— seeing all of the unspeakable forms lurking beneath a familiar veneer. City of the Sun God is just a Magical Desert so it might as well be Uldum, Thanalan, or any other Obligatory Desert Zone in an MMO.

Actually, I take it back, no zone in gaming history is worse than Uldum.

CoSG makes more sense when you realize the entire egyptian zone is paying homage to old media like the Indiana Jones movies/books, the Mummy series, etc, etc. The first area is your typical romp in the desert, with the latter being the hidden away part of the world that the protagonists usually go too.

It really wouldn't be a homage without some epic ruins/valley/whatever hidden away from the world. Unfortunately whoever designed it apparently was the same person who designed the blue mountains. It's a goddamn nightmare to navigate, which severely detracts from its theme.

Even worse, at least the blue mountains are open enough to explore. A lot of the areas in CoSG are so tightly closed and packed with mobs that it can be a slog if you don't have the sprint buffs to outrun them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I logged in to pick up items, and thought I'd do a dungeon or three for old times sake. Absolutely no one advertising in Agartha, and no responses to my advertising. This game is dead as a doornail. :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
From what I recall from the anniversary and what I've seen of Flappy, the boss fights have no more mechanics than AoE. That's saddening.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

From what I recall from the anniversary and what I've seen of Flappy, the boss fights have no more mechanics than AoE. That's saddening.

The actual dungeons are a lot of fun and have bunches of mechanics. It's just since Funcom doesn't have the staff to make fun encounters anymore we end up getting poo poo all over.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I know, I ran both the cargo ship and the Bach raid with Machine Tyrant and both of them were LOTS of fun and I'm excited to play through the rest of the base game raids. And now look at what we have. Lazy content requiring one level designer, one modeler, and one texture artist.

I haven't even hit Egypt yet, how am I jaded already!?! drat you Leeeeeeeeen! :argh:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Aaaw. I was ten seconds late and now I have to do the slow raid :(

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

drat you Leeeeeeeeen! :argh:

Leen?

Why did Funcom lose so much staff anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tallgeese posted:

Leen?

Why did Funcom lose so much staff anyway?

Turns out that when you aim to have your MMO support 1 million players and get 250k that your income comes in a bit lower than expected.

• Locked thread