Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

al-azad posted:

They're saying "Viva Viva La Revolucion." Nobody really knows the origin. There are maybe a dozen songs at least that sample it dating back to 1993 at the earliest.

Hideki Naganuma was probably inspired by the Serial Experiments Lain song Professed Intention and Real Intention which came out about a year before he started working on JSR. But the guy is fluent in English so it's possible he's heard it in other songs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykmzNvNXZY

I wouldn't be surprised if it's buried in some kind of open source sound effects library. The sample's pitch is always the same, only the speed is changed in songs.

The only sample that matters in that song is BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE!

e: BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo
BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE
HOMIE

WAAAA-AAAAH

LA LA LA LA
LA REVOLUCION

WAAAA-AAAAH

LA LA LA LA
LA REVOLUCION

TUNE IN, TURN ON, DROP OUT
It's actually, "rock that poo poo, homie". It's a sample of Flavor Flav off the instrumental "Terminator X Speaks with His Hands" (0:55) from the album, Yo! Bum Rush the Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Xik posted:

Tiny cartridge recently sent out a little reward for folks that decided to support them. Part of it was a NES version of an LA Game Space game.

The dev is Rachel Weil who seems to hack up all sorts of stuff for the NES in assembly :allears:.

Holy poo poo this owns.

BACK THAT poo poo, HOMIE! owns too. I feel like so much of my free time in high school was spend on Jet Grind Radio and Rez the soundtrack to both are engraved in my brain :allears:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

liquid courage posted:

It's actually, "rock that poo poo, homie". It's a sample of Flavor Flav off the instrumental "Terminator X Speaks with His Hands" (0:55) from the album, Yo! Bum Rush the Show.

I don't know why I posted "back that" because Public Enemy used "rock that" prominently in Can't Do Nuttin' For Ya Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBlMrGgpwXE

Around 2:00. gently caress, I love old school rap.

e: And of course, Timothy Leary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSzTBP5PAU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

To be fair, Flavor Flav is pretty terrible. :v:

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 14, 2014

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

al-azad posted:

You're wrong in both cases but which level are you talking about? There were several "tag the enemy" levels. One took place in a sewer which was fairly straightforward and another in a construction yard, I believe which I recall being super annoying because helicopters would spawn.

Early in the sewer level there was a jump down to a rail that was nearly impossible to land if you didn't have the right technique.

quote:

No, the real gently caress YOU combination level/song is Dragula and that awful city near the end which is 99% grind rails. You have to know the level inside and out to maintain the highest speed or else you'll fall off a rail and have to gain speed to work your way back up to the top. Meanwhile Rob Zombie's industrial butt metal is playing in the background DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES I SLAM IN THE BACK OF MY DRAG OOO LAAA. The Matrix made that song super popular and loving everyone from 1998-2000 had it on their soundtrack. It was Evanescence WAKE ME UP popular and I wanted to die every time I heard it.

Heh, I really enjoyed the long grind city.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Grind City owns and that version of Dragula owns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

liquid courage posted:

He was the face and entertainer. Everyone knows Chuck D was the soul and voice behind Public Enemy.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Grind City owns and that version of Dragula owns.
This.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

e: I haven't played JSR since it came out (got it for free with PS+, should take a spin one day) but from memory my most hated parts were:

-The city level with the dam/aqueduct. There was a very specific way to get out that I only mastered by accident.
-The city level with the hill. I don't understand why a game designed for speed has an entire level where you waste time trying to build speed.
-The night city level with all the trains. I think this was bugged or something but I recall an area that took me a long time because grinding on the rails would mess up at a certain point or there were very tiny platforms you had to jump to or something.
-Grind City UGH. Maybe I didn't have as much trouble here as I thought but it stands out in memory as an area I spent a long time on. Probably because it's the last/one of the last levels?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

liquid courage posted:

911 Is A Joke is a 100% Flava Flav PE song and it owns bones.

You can play as him in Rap Jam Vol. 1 on the SNES so this post is technically video game related.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Look at all you scrubs not rockin copies of De La Jet Set.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

e: I haven't played JSR since it came out (got it for free with PS+, should take a spin one day) but from memory my most hated parts were:

-The city level with the dam/aqueduct. There was a very specific way to get out that I only mastered by accident.
-The city level with the hill. I don't understand why a game designed for speed has an entire level where you waste time trying to build speed.
-The night city level with all the trains. I think this was bugged or something but I recall an area that took me a long time because grinding on the rails would mess up at a certain point or there were very tiny platforms you had to jump to or something.
-Grind City UGH. Maybe I didn't have as much trouble here as I thought but it stands out in memory as an area I spent a long time on. Probably because it's the last/one of the last levels?

Honestly it sounds like you might have had a somewhat defective controller and possibly some kind of corrupt disk.

There's also two city levels with hills so I don't know which one you mean, but one of them you were meant to always go down from another area and the other had cars you could the back of to get back uphill fast.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Install Windows posted:

Honestly it sounds like you might have had a somewhat defective controller and possibly some kind of corrupt disk.

There's also two city levels with hills so I don't know which one you mean, but one of them you were meant to always go down from another area and the other had cars you could the back of to get back uphill fast.

That's the one I'm talking, the one featured in the tutorial where you ride cars up. There are a bunch of side alleys and having to go back up the hill requires hitching a ride with a car. It's just the most poorly paced level I recall and I hate it when fast paced games slow you down (with the exception of maybe Sonic because Sonic 1-3 were all about balancing speed with precision platforming).

Firing up the HD version of JSR the controls really haven't aged spectacularly. Something about the Dreamcast's analog stick in particular but things feel a little imprecise. I never had this much trouble controlling JSR Future.

Aesthetically the game has aged gracefully. Just further proof that art design trumps raw graphical power.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 14, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I recently got a Sega Saturn and while I'm waiting for my S-Video cable to arrive, the console came with an RF adapter that's having some strange issues. I thought it was broken until set up my Genesis with an RF as well and plugged the Saturn into its TV bypass. The signal from the Saturn only appears on my TV after I turn my Genesis on and off. This isn't one way too, if I have the Saturn hooked into my TV's coaxial with the Genesis in the TV bypass, I only get picture from the Saturn if I turn it on after my Genesis is already on. It's not a big deal as I'm just waiting on better cables, but I just can't wrap my head around why this would happen. Anyone know anything about this type of problem.

I only have a few good games for it right now, but between Bust a Move, Daytona, and Virtua Fighter 2 I have some good stuff to play on the system until I buy more and eventually get the mod chip. For now the fanboy in me is just happy to see all three side by side :unsmith:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

That's the one I'm talking, the one featured in the tutorial where you ride cars up. There are a bunch of side alleys and having to go back up the hill requires hitching a ride with a car. It's just the most poorly paced level I recall and I hate it when fast paced games slow you down (with the exception of maybe Sonic because Sonic 1-3 were all about balancing speed with precision platforming).

Firing up the HD version of JSR the controls really haven't aged spectacularly. Something about the Dreamcast's analog stick in particular but things feel a little imprecise. I never had this much trouble controlling JSR Future.

Aesthetically the game has aged gracefully. Just further proof that art design trumps raw graphical power.

The purpose of that part of Shibuya-cho is to teach you how to most efficiently grind down through the steep hilly areas and then time coming back up right. And if it didn't exist then you wouldn't have a sweet hillside to blast down at max speed (and in the whole-area score/time attack modes it creates a natural flow around the whole part of the city for the best score). Jet Grind Radio definitely isn't a game about just going fast, that's JSRF which was all about it and correspondingly the levels in that are far more suited to all speed all the time.

Also it's kinda weird to say it wasn't about raw graphical power at the time. It was one of the poster games for running full frame rate on a high quality TV or monitor through the VGA box!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Install Windows posted:

The purpose of that part of Shibuya-cho is to teach you how to most efficiently grind down through the steep hilly areas and then time coming back up right. And if it didn't exist then you wouldn't have a sweet hillside to blast down at max speed (and in the whole-area score/time attack modes it creates a natural flow around the whole part of the city for the best score). Jet Grind Radio definitely isn't a game about just going fast, that's JSRF which was all about it and correspondingly the levels in that are far more suited to all speed all the time.

Also it's kinda weird to say it wasn't about raw graphical power at the time. It was one of the poster games for running full frame rate on a high quality TV or monitor through the VGA box!

Then I can safely say that JSRF colored my opinion the most and why I can't fully enjoy the original anymore. There are moments where you just lose speed and getting that momentum back is super difficult. Like you miss a platform and now you have to go all the way back and there are police holding onto your waist. It reached a point where breaking the flow I would just restart the level straight up. Going back to the sewer level, I had that thing down to a science but missing a single rail basically meant you failed the level completely because those guys in the blue jumpsuits were impossibly fast.

I'd love for Sega to try again. Give me a JSR game on the scale of Tony Hawk's Underground or something with seamless level transitions.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

al-azad posted:

Then I can safely say that JSRF colored my opinion the most and why I can't fully enjoy the original anymore. There are moments where you just lose speed and getting that momentum back is super difficult. Like you miss a platform and now you have to go all the way back and there are police holding onto your waist. It reached a point where breaking the flow I would just restart the level straight up. Going back to the sewer level, I had that thing down to a science but missing a single rail basically meant you failed the level completely because those guys in the blue jumpsuits were impossibly fast.

I'd love for Sega to try again. Give me a JSR game on the scale of Tony Hawk's Underground or something with seamless level transitions.

I hated tagging Poison Jam too. A couple things I eventually figured out helped, mainly how controlling in the air works (moving after jumping gives finer control, while holding a direction then jumping sends you out at drat near 90degrees), and that if you lose track of them one way or another they're waiting (usually in one of the corners).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I recently got a Sega Saturn and while I'm waiting for my S-Video cable to arrive, the console came with an RF adapter that's having some strange issues. I thought it was broken until set up my Genesis with an RF as well and plugged the Saturn into its TV bypass. The signal from the Saturn only appears on my TV after I turn my Genesis on and off. This isn't one way too, if I have the Saturn hooked into my TV's coaxial with the Genesis in the TV bypass, I only get picture from the Saturn if I turn it on after my Genesis is already on. It's not a big deal as I'm just waiting on better cables, but I just can't wrap my head around why this would happen. Anyone know anything about this type of problem.

Congratulations on finding a new way to extend the tower of power. :v:

Without being there to play with your wiring, I suspect that the RF switch from the Genesis is bad. But that's an educated guess from the information. I'd want to dig around and try hooking things up a few different ways. And by "bad" I mean "not working as intended" rather than "unusable". I'd just wait for the better connection and not worry about it.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I liked JGR a lot better than JSRF. Despite having smaller levels they seem better designed in the first game and the limited encounters with the police and the special enemies were a lot weaker in the second game.
I think the worst change JSFR was the simplification of the taggin mechanics. The game lost a lot of appeal to me without the thrill of havin to finish a tag quickly before the police wrecks your poo poo (and your combo).

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Serial Experiments Lain Cyberia Mix Album had a lot of good poo poo on it. I've been meaning to check out JSR, wondering if I should emulate it at some point.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Lencho posted:

I think the worst change JSFR was the simplification of the taggin mechanics. The game lost a lot of appeal to me without the thrill of havin to finish a tag quickly before the police wrecks your poo poo (and your combo).

It's like you took the words right out of my brain!

Occasionally when I see some old friends who I used to play it with a lot in high school, we occasionally hook up the DC and go wild and clear the game fast as hell and it rules every time :allears:

The JGR disc I have is also the only surviving member of my friend's Dreamcast collection after his parents threw out most of the games.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Bing the Noize posted:

It's like you took the words right out of my brain!

Occasionally when I see some old friends who I used to play it with a lot in high school, we occasionally hook up the DC and go wild and clear the game fast as hell and it rules every time :allears:

The JGR disc I have is also the only surviving member of my friend's Dreamcast collection after his parents threw out most of the games.

I will never understand how people's parents have just blatant disregard for their things. So glad I didn't have to deal with that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I prefer JSRF, it just plays a bit more smoothly and for me those games are mostly about flying around the city with cool music playing. There are some awful bits though, and the bad guy looks funnier in JSR.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Congratulations on finding a new way to extend the tower of power. :v:

Without being there to play with your wiring, I suspect that the RF switch from the Genesis is bad. But that's an educated guess from the information. I'd want to dig around and try hooking things up a few different ways. And by "bad" I mean "not working as intended" rather than "unusable". I'd just wait for the better connection and not worry about it.

Ahahaha I didn't even think about this adding to the Almighty Sega Tower of Power, but yeah I'm not worried about it. I'm more just curious since this is such a weird thing. I'd expect the Saturn RF to just simply not work, but only working when another signal is passed through it or its passed through another signal is just a really strange problem.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shibawanko posted:

I prefer JSRF, it just plays a bit more smoothly and for me those games are mostly about flying around the city with cool music playing. There are some awful bits though, and the bad guy looks funnier in JSR.

JSRF also has Birthday Cake. And.. way less awful stuff with the cops. That poo poo was awful in JSR.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What's this strange PS1 game, I asked. Let me check Wikipedia...

I think I can work out at least one of the people who edited this page. :v:

Also, I now want to "verse this time".

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 15, 2014

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I know PC games don't get talked about a lot in this thread but I just wanted to share that I FINALLY FOUND a boxed copy of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. Price-wise it wasn't on par for most of the :retrogames: in this thread but its still a lot for me, and is by far the most I've spent on a boxed copy of a game. I've been looking for this game for almost an entire decade and have NEVER seen a legitimate copy for sale before, so I knew I had to bite the bullet immediately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181320350920 :dance:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

For anyone in the Harrisburg area, someone is selling Namco Museum vol 3 on Craigslist for $4.
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/vgm/4330418439.html

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It's me, I'm the one that just paid the deposit on a brand new Net City

edit: as in a brand new "New Net City"

edit 2: The guy at Windy Gaming in Chicago just asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to pick up a Blast City cab since someone paid a deposit on one but now needs to transfer it to someone else, he's willing to take a $100 hit on it so you'd get a cab for $800 instead of $900. I figured I would post here to try and help him out, you could message me if you want me to put you in contact with the Windy Gaming guy or you could just go to their FB page and let em know: https://www.facebook.com/WindyGaming

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 15, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got the USB Blaster in the mail today. Programmed the board and finally put my Twin back together.

One of the neat reasons to mod the Twin Famicom for the NESRGB. Being able to replace the DIN connector and using a readily available pre-made SCART cable (cable is normally for a Neo-Geo):

Posted this before, but this gives you a gist of the install:

Short clip of the first level of Akumajou Densetsu. Though it looks a little jittery since I realized I was recording at 59.94fps. I'd fix it, but eh I'm tired.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That looks incredible and I want to do it but I don't want to deal with the USB Blaster. Has the Australian RGBNES manufacturer started shipping ones with the correct setup or are you just kind of expected to reflash that chip now? I also kind of just want to wait for the universal PPU and see the difference in price and installation effort.

Survival kids 2 translation progress: They think they are done and they're thoroughly testing the game to make sure there are no errors. They're going as far as getting the most secret ending I think which is really difficult without a link cable.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 15, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161034622565

Does this SCART multi cable look like a good idea?

Also it says it's for pal SNES's but that's just because some US SNES's aren't RGB compatible, right?

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I only have a few good games for it right now, but between Bust a Move, Daytona, and Virtua Fighter 2 I have some good stuff to play on the system until I buy more and eventually get the mod chip. For now the fanboy in me is just happy to see all three side by side :unsmith:

Where is the master system? In all seriousness, you'll love the Saturn. It's one of my favorite systems. Astral is another game to get, the art on it is just beautiful. Also, get Virtual Cop and a stunner light gun.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Some more nerdy SNES Cd-Rom stuff has been leaked on what could have been: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unreleased-super-nintendo-cd-rom-drive-technical-documents-leaked-online.html

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder how different the video game industry would be now if that thing was actually released. It's fun to think about who the major players would be now.

I can't wait to see what other cool poo poo is in that lot of internal documents. He said he would be scanning and uploading it all. :allears:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Xik posted:

I wonder how different the video game industry would be now if that thing was actually released. It's fun to think about who the major players would be now.

The SNES wouldve had a lot more crappy FMV games I bet.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I think we're losing sight of the real story here.

But seriously, this is all neat as hell. I was looking at my consoles the other day thinking about the SNES not having a disk add on. The Famicom has one, the PC-Engine had one, the Genesis has one, etc. The SNES was the outlier for not having one. Though I guess they did try.

Heran Bago posted:

That looks incredible and I want to do it but I don't want to deal with the USB Blaster. Has the Australian RGBNES manufacturer started shipping ones with the correct setup or are you just kind of expected to reflash that chip now? I also kind of just want to wait for the universal PPU and see the difference in price and installation effort.

He (Tim Worthington) is sold out of the current batch. From what I understand the problem was corrected near the end of the last batch so they should all be correct going forward. All the re-flashing and re-soldering of chips was just Tim trying to find the shortest path to a solution. I guess he figured if you're the sort who's willing to pull a chip out of an old console and wire a new board in there maybe you're the sort who's willing to reprogram said board instead of wait months for a new one.

As for effort the most frustrating part of this solution is having to remove the original PPU and it sounds like that will still be necessary with the universal PPU.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Got the USB Blaster in the mail today. Programmed the board and finally put my Twin back together.

Well done and welcome to the club! Be sure to share your impressions later.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 15, 2014

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

midwest ink posted:

Where is the master system?

Inside the Genesis where it belongs. The real question is where the power base converter is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Given the relatively slow processor of the SNES I wonder how lovely a CD-ROM add on would be. If it came out early enough I could see a lot of adventure style games, like how cool would Radical Dreamers be with anime cutscenes? I also would have loved if the later games had CD versions with updated music. Earthworm Jim worked beautifully on Sega CD and Earthbound with CD quality audio would have been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

Given the relatively slow processor of the SNES I wonder how lovely a CD-ROM add on would be. If it came out early enough I could see a lot of adventure style games, like how cool would Radical Dreamers be with anime cutscenes? I also would have loved if the later games had CD versions with updated music. Earthworm Jim worked beautifully on Sega CD and Earthbound with CD quality audio would have been amazing.

You're aware that all the major CD systems to came out had their own onboard co-processors right? The CPU of the main system wouldn't matter.

• Locked thread