Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Janet's just trying to be supportive to her new friends.

E-- Putting this on the new page so scrubs in this thread see that Cap is the tactical field commander of Marvel and DC:

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Dude, Captain America once stood up to Thanos who had just wrecked a shitload of powerful heroes and he had the Infinity Gauntlet. His whole deal is that the guy will never give up fighting no matter how badly the odds are stacked against him.

Like what was written one time, Cap has the voice that could command a god, and he does (Thor).

wow you guys are really overreacting

or mis-reacting, rather.

Nobody is "ragging" on Cap, we're just saying it's a visually funny disparity, and that it might be a bit silly for him to invite himself along to these kind of excursions.

When he has very clearly recognized that this is a fight for only his very heaviest hitters, then includes himself in that number, I think there's room to note the disparity between what Marvel regularly has Cap do and what Cap should be able to do, what with those kind of disparities in scale being the original topic of conversation.

It's is particularly incongruous within Hickman's run, which has pretty consistently showcased Tony and/or Carol in the dynamic forward team leader role, with Cap playing a more aloof figurehead/chessmaster combo role, which makes sense for him. With that trend in place, there's no reason for him to attend a straightforward, no-holds-barred brawl of such magnitude other than the fact that it's an Event and Events have to include Captain America punching some dudes.

people are familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet and don't need to be reminded of that time Cap futilely punched Infinity Gauntlet Thanos in the face.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All I'm gonna say is this-- do you find it as funny when Batman does the same thing?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

All I'm gonna say is this-- do you find it as funny when Batman does the same thing?

Yes.

Batman vs Darkseid in Final Crisis being probably the peak, but there are a lot of high points

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 15, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good. As long as we're being equal opportunity to Cap and the Bat on this then you've got a valid joke on your hands. I have a special place of hate in my heart for Bat-hypocrites.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I mean when it comes down to it, both Batman and Cap are only put in these situations because they're A-list characters who people want to surround with grandiosity.

Mr. Terrific, Green Arrow and so on never get to beat up Darkseid or Mongul or whoever, despite their Batmanlike skillsets, because nobody cares enough about them to contrive those circumstances. You might occasionally see it from the likes of Black Panther (who is supposed to be a tactician/strategist at least on the order of Cap) or Nightwing (who is supposed to be a super charismatic leader guy), but nowhere near that often.

the goofery lies in how the metafictional importance of these characters is allowed to overcome the sensible concerns that are applied to all these other, less popular characters with similar skills and abilities.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 15, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes, thank you for dissecting that particular frog even though everyone here totally got it the first time.

And to be fair there was that one JLA arc where it showed a future League rebelling against a Darkseid-controlled Earth and Green Arrow (Connor Hawke) was instrumental in saving the day:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Haven't read that. Where's it from? Morrison JLA? Or Joe Kelly maybe?
It reads Morrison-y but I'm not sure.

Anyway, returning to the original topic before my accidental derail, a potential Black Widow movie shouldn't have to worry too much about "why does she matter when we have these other, more powerful heroes" syndrome.

The movie-verse versions of the more powerful heroes are always less powerful than the comic book versions, so the disparity isn't nearly as great. Movie Thor might still be recognizably more powerful than Widow or Hawkeye, but it's probably not enough of a difference to keep people from taking a Black Widow action movie seriously.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 15, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's Morrison. I forget the name of the exact arc.

And yeah there's no problem with people taking a Black Widow movie seriously. It's all about the framing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

mind the walrus posted:

It's Morrison. I forget the name of the exact arc.

Rock of Ages.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mind the walrus posted:

Good. As long as we're being equal opportunity to Cap and the Bat on this then you've got a valid joke on your hands. I have a special place of hate in my heart for Bat-hypocrites.

The only person who mentioned Batman is you..?

Also, are you in the middle of some kind of manic episode or something, because you seem to be posting a lot, often rather annoyingly and rear end in a top hat-ly.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The problem with Black Widow is that she doesn't have any good stories under her belt, so you would need a writer and a director willing to do a lot of work with a basic "femme fatale in skintight suit" premise. Making a cool homage to Modesty Blaise or Emma Peel would be a good start.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

The problem with Black Widow is that she doesn't have any good stories under her belt, so you would need a writer and a director willing to do a lot of work with a basic "femme fatale in skintight suit" premise. Making a cool homage to Modesty Blaise or Emma Peel would be a good start.

Whoever wrote the Agent Carter One-Shot would be a good start as well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

The only person who mentioned Batman is you..?

Also, are you in the middle of some kind of manic episode or something, because you seem to be posting a lot, often rather annoyingly and rear end in a top hat-ly.

So take a number and suck my dick when it comes up? What do you want me to say here? I have long stretches of free time during the dead of night when there aren't many posts. If you really can't stand that then cry to a mod until you find one sympathetic enough to ban me, or add something worthwhile instead of just chiming in to complain.

And yes I'm the only one who mentioned Batman. It was part of a conversation. Y'know, messy little things that often bleed into odd tangents and asides. If you read as well as you claim you'll notice that line of conversation tied up pretty nicely.

fatherboxx posted:

The other problems are coming up with a plot that necessitates just her and not her and Hawkeye and Captain America and the whole gang. Then you quickly run into the problem of what will emotionally invest the audience, as a simple "by the book superhero black ops" story isn't going to fly in a pitch meeting, and that can mean things like poorly drawn supporting characters and unsatisfying conflicts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mind the walrus, you're really being a confrontational Dick for no particular reason.

As for the plot, I really do think a Black Widow movie would work better as a team up. Probably with Hawkeye. Probably with Hawkeye needing to be rescued from a botched mission, continuing to gather intelligence on the inside while Black Widow gathers intelligence to find him, and then they probably bust out in a big action set piece. And then stop the evil plot Hawkeye gathered Intel on. Then they probably have sex.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 15, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Or just he's trying too hard.

mind the walrus posted:

Sometimes I wish someone would give me a red text so I could get rid of my poorly done gif avatar but I can't seem to piss anyone off enough.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Or just he's trying too hard.

I see. Well played.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Widow's backstory is way more interesting than whatever they can do post-Avengers, but they probably don't want to make a movie where she's basically the bad guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Black Widow's backstory is way more interesting than whatever they can do post-Avengers, but they probably don't want to make a movie where she's basically the bad guy.

They could do flashbacks and make it about the past catching up with her.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

So much RED IN THE LEDGER :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

They could do flashbacks and make it about the past catching up with her.

I haven't read her solo series, but I did read the Point 1 issue and the story there was about someone cashing in some favors she gave out to people she had wronged.

That could work in a movie too. If it's a big personal atonement thing it makes sense she would have to do it alone (even though in the book she lets Hawkeye help.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Waterhaul posted:

So much RED IN THE LEDGER :ohdear:

God I hate that phrase.

A Widow/Hawkeye movie would be awesome if Hawkeye was just the sidekick who keeps getting captured and doofing off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They could make basically Metal Gear Solid 3, set a lot closer to present day, in China, with her in the role of Eva and Clint in the role of Snake, more from Eva's point of view. Fury's a perfect Zero.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

God I hate that phrase.

Seriously. It's a terrible line.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She only says it the once, right? Has supplemental material run with it or something?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Aphrodite posted:

She only says it the once, right? Has supplemental material run with it or something?

It's shown up a few times in the comics since the movie came out.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

They could make basically Metal Gear Solid 3, set a lot closer to present day, in China, with her in the role of Eva and Clint in the role of Snake, more from Eva's point of view. Fury's a perfect Zero.

Wouldn't having the film be from Eva's point of view be rather boring, as the audience would know way more than Hawkeye the whole time? Why would Black Widow hide the truth from Hawkeye and then betray him? Who would be The Boss? Who would be Ocelot? How would the other Avengers deal with it when Hawkeye, completely disillusioned with the entire thing, goes on to form Avengers sans Frontières and develops his own Infinity Gem?

This doesn't work at all dude.

Aphrodite posted:

There's a bit Superior Spiderman where the Avengers confront Spiderman for killing Massacre and Black Widow takes him aside and says "You have red in your ledger now. I know how that feels"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was fine in the movie. But then comic writers and things like the Avengers Alliance Facebook game make constant references to it and overuse it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Codependent Poster posted:

It was fine in the movie. But then comic writers and things like the Avengers Alliance Facebook game make constant references to it and overuse it.

Isn't the only reference in the game the team-up bonus for former villains? I guess I don't generally pay a lot of attention to the dialog, maybe it's come up more and I've missed it, but if it's just the one bonus I wouldn't really call it a constant reference.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think she's said it at least once in every story I've seen her in since the movie came out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

Wouldn't having the film be from Eva's point of view be rather boring, as the audience would know way more than Hawkeye the whole time? Why would Black Widow hide the truth from Hawkeye and then betray him? Who would be The Boss? Who would be Ocelot? How would the other Avengers deal with it when Hawkeye, completely disillusioned with the entire thing, goes on to form Avengers sans Frontières and develops his own Infinity Gem?

This doesn't work at all dude.

There's a bit Superior Spiderman where the Avengers confront Spiderman for killing Massacre and Black Widow takes him aside and says "You have red in your ledger now. I know how that feels"

It wouldn't be a straight copy, just basic similarities. Mainly, both individually would be sent to defuse a crisis after a rogue agent set off a weapon, with China's unofficial approval (now that China isn't the villain you can play it in China), both would unravel parts of the mystery and have remote support. Both would have to fight weird super soldiers picked from the Marvel Universe. Clint would keep being captured, tortured, and rescued by widow with an action packed finale where they stop whatever piece of dangerous technology.

Maybe plug in BULLSEYE for an Ocelot type role vs. Clint.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

It wouldn't be a straight copy, just basic similarities. Mainly, both individually would be sent to defuse a crisis after a rogue agent set off a weapon, with China's unofficial approval (now that China isn't the villain you can play it in China), both would unravel parts of the mystery and have remote support. Both would have to fight weird super soldiers picked from the Marvel Universe. Clint would keep being captured, tortured, and rescued by widow with an action packed finale where they stop whatever piece of dangerous technology.

Maybe plug in BULLSEYE for an Ocelot type role vs. Clint.

This is pretty rough around the edges, but I could see this being a pretty entertaining sci-fi spy thriller.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

's one-shot first scene.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guardian's marketing appears to be "talking raccoon with guns".

I'm ok with that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm ok with that.
Time for someone to do the live-action Bucky O'Hare.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm ok with that.

On the other hand...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ufarn posted:

Time for someone to do the live-action Bucky O'Hare.

Monkeyman and O'Brien...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Monkeyman and O'Brien...

Just go with the original Angel and the Ape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vincent posted:

Just go with the original Angel and the Ape.

Oh hell no. A transdimensional gorilla trumps the Ape.

• Locked thread