Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

House of Leaves 2: Get Foked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerusalem posted:

If only watching two guys bite each other's tongues and tell jokes could have translated to buyrates on PPV :smith:
I don't think Damien or Lucifer were gay, but if you ask Jake Roberts on Twitter he might answer you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In many ways the Ultimate Warrior's schtick is a meta riff on the concept of heat itself. He draws power from the warriors, just as a wrestler draws heat- and therefore career success and better booking- from the fans. I believe in the Arsenio Hall appearance he also riffed on the facepaint and how the outline of it acted as a power conduit, thus attaching great significance to those who painted their faces in tribute to him.

He may not have been good in the ring at all, he may be a homophobic shitbag, but I don't think anyone ever did a better job packaging themselves as a pro wrestler.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

WeaponX posted:

How close was Chyna to a World Championship run, if at all?

They teased her being the #1 contender at Summerslam 99. There was some strange booking where the #1 contender was changing every week before it settled on the Austin/HHH/Foley triple threat. This was also the period where Chyna was booked as a heel for some segments of the show and a face for other segments.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They teased her being the #1 contender at Summerslam 99. There was some strange booking where the #1 contender was changing every week before it settled on the Austin/HHH/Foley triple threat. This was also the period where Chyna was booked as a heel for some segments of the show and a face for other segments.

Mostly as a result of Austin not wanting to put HHH over, so we can probably chalk this up as well to his opinion of "You don't make a start by beating an existing star" despite beating both Foley and The Rock.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That period was pretty much all of 1999.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

Seems strange that Flair would drop the belt to Ronnie Garvin and KVE, but not Lex Luger.

Wasn't Kerry super over? I was only a baby at the time so I wasn't familiar with him, but from what I've seen on documentaries he was pegged to be a big thing. Dunno how his overness compared with Luger though.

I did really like him when I watched him in WWF, I didn't know anything about him or his accident though.

I didn't even know when he died, actually. I just remember liking him a lot, then him disappearing from the WWF with me wondering where he went.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Wasn't Kerry super over? I was only a baby at the time so I wasn't familiar with him, but from what I've seen on documentaries he was pegged to be a big thing. Dunno how his overness compared with Luger though.

I did really like him when I watched him in WWF, I didn't know anything about him or his accident though.

I didn't even know when he died, actually. I just remember liking him a lot, then him disappearing from the WWF with me wondering where he went.

The Von Erichs were over in Texas, with Kerry being the 2nd or 3rd most over in the family. After David died, World Class held a David von Erich Memorial Parade of Champions with over 50,000 people at Texas Stadium and Kerry went over Flair there. It was really just to appease that market, though, because Flair won in back 3 weeks later and Kerry was never in the main event scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The Von Erichs were over in Texas, with Kerry being the 2nd or 3rd most over in the family. After David died, World Class held a David von Erich Memorial Parade of Champions with over 50,000 people at Texas Stadium and Kerry went over Flair there. It was really just to appease that market, though, because Flair won in back 3 weeks later and Kerry was never in the main event scene.

Kerry just had trouble getting his foot in the door

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

bobkatt013 posted:

Kerry just had trouble getting his foot in the door

Oh, snap.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Holy poo poo.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Is it my imagination, or did Michael Cole once have a Sirus radio show?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

emjayo posted:

Is it my imagination, or did Michael Cole once have a Sirus radio show?

I vaguely recall him doing a show with Taz, including an infamous call-in where he went off on a bizarre tirade at a fan (starting with "Hey fucko..." or something along those lines). I remember him taking a call from Bubba Ray Dudley on it, which was a pretty big deal since the Dudleys had been fired from WWE and really hadn't left on very good terms.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I vaguely recall him doing a show with Taz, including an infamous call-in where he went off on a bizarre tirade at a fan (starting with "Hey fucko..." or something along those lines). I remember him taking a call from Bubba Ray Dudley on it, which was a pretty big deal since the Dudleys had been fired from WWE and really hadn't left on very good terms.

Ah, yes, that rings a bell. It wasn't too long after the infamous Byte This episode where him and Taz seemed drunk as hell.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

triplexpac posted:

he was pegged to be a big thing.

The best puns are the ones so subtle almost no-one notices.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

emjayo posted:

Ah, yes, that rings a bell. It wasn't too long after the infamous Byte This episode where him and Taz seemed drunk as hell.

WWE call-in shows occasionally had weird stuff go on that would probably get people fired, disciplined, or get the show axed today in the increasingly controlled environment the company manages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud75ZQVh04U

One of the Michael Cole blow-ups was on Howard Stern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx1PhviIAt4

Six years later and I doubt anyone today would call in to troll WWE with TNA plugs.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
In this MTV dub of Santo and Blue Demon Vs. The Monsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0z30lp7go

who's playing Santo and Blue? Most of the other characters are voiced by either minor UK celebrities or musicians (Snoop Dogg and Shaggy are in there).

But not knowing who played the wrestlers has bugged me for ten years or more now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
You know, I've actually got a question since I remember it.

One of my extremely few interactions with wrestling over the past entirety of my life was, sometime in the 2000s (Definitely pre-2010), I saw the intro to some wrestling show on Sci-Fi. Like the one thing I remember from it was a dude getting his face sliced up by someone with a fantasied-up kama scythe. I figure the answer to this is probably ECW, I gotta know what show that was and what the deal was with that match that they took the short clip from for the intro.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

well, there was WWE's ECW on Sci-Fi that ran from 2006-2010, but I don't recall it ever having anything like that (outside of a pretty brutal Big Show vs. Ric Flair match that they gave away on free TV), particularly from 2008 onwards when all WWE programming shifted from TV-14 to TV-PG. prior to that the only exposure that ECW had on a national level was ECW on TNN from 1999-2000, but even then things like scythes weren't exactly commonplace.

maybe you saw an ad for Best of Japanese Hardcore Wrestling or whatever, I remember I used to see those late at night.

EDIT: oh you know what, it could've been from MTV's Wrestling Society X. I don't really remember much of anything from that though.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Why did the Dudleys get fired?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What was the first time that Hogan did his whole "Hulking up" routine?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Grey posted:

Why did the Dudleys get fired?

creative had nothing for them so wwe decided to cut them as part of their massive bloodletting in 05 when they were trying to get brock lesnar to come back

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shima Honnou posted:

One of my extremely few interactions with wrestling over the past entirety of my life was, sometime in the 2000s (Definitely pre-2010), I saw the intro to some wrestling show on Sci-Fi. Like the one thing I remember from it was a dude getting his face sliced up by someone with a fantasied-up kama scythe. I figure the answer to this is probably ECW, I gotta know what show that was and what the deal was with that match that they took the short clip from for the intro.

Total shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if you're misremembering the Conan O'Brien recurring lullaby skit. He'd sing a lullaby, mention how it doesn't matter what he sings as long as it's in that tone, mention a bunch of horrible things, then show a bunch of horrific clips like a man walking around on fire or someone getting mauled by a tiger. One of the go-to clips sounds exactly like the one you described.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Cena posted:

creative had nothing for them so wwe decided to cut them as part of their massive bloodletting in 05 when they were trying to get brock lesnar to come back

They then went to TNA where, after a few years, Bubba took it upon himself to really improve his physical shape and retooled his character into "Bully Ray", and became an extremely effective main event heel character.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Monkey Man posted:

What was the first time that Hogan did his whole "Hulking up" routine?

I was watching Hulk Hogan: The Ultimate Anthology the other day (Which is basically just a collection of matches with Mean Gene and Jimmy Hart providing a little background in between as well as interview clips of Hogan and other wrestlers) on Netflix and he definitely seemed to do it or something like it as far back as his time in the AWA during the early '80s.

Gavok posted:

Total shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if you're misremembering the Conan O'Brien recurring lullaby skit. He'd sing a lullaby, mention how it doesn't matter what he sings as long as it's in that tone, mention a bunch of horrible things, then show a bunch of horrific clips like a man walking around on fire or someone getting mauled by a tiger. One of the go-to clips sounds exactly like the one you described.

Possibly. It's been a really long time and my memory from high school and the time just after is a bit of a jumble because of a concussion I took back in '03, but I do remember just that one scene and it's always stuck with me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shima Honnou posted:

Possibly. It's been a really long time and my memory from high school and the time just after is a bit of a jumble because of a concussion I took back in '03, but I do remember just that one scene and it's always stuck with me.

Here's a clip of one of the skits. Check out about 2:40 in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Yep, that's definitely it. Other part of my question does still stand, if anyone knows about that match or promotion or whatever I'd like to know.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Yep, that's definitely it. Other part of my question does still stand, if anyone knows about that match or promotion or whatever I'd like to know.

Most likely FMW. Mr Pogo is the one with the face paint that carries the scythe around. I think he actually cut a few people with it hardway, but it was mostly used to look brutal and smear the already present blood around.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Jerusalem posted:

They then went to TNA where, after a few years, Bubba took it upon himself to really improve his physical shape and retooled his character into "Bully Ray", and became an extremely effective main event heel character.

I'm told they also have a grudge against Paul Heyman because they were led to believe the Dudley Boyz trademark wasn't sold to WWE when in reality it was thus they had to scramble and come up with new ring names.

It's really remarkable how much Bubba was able to turn himself around, create the Bully Ray gimmick and become a believable main event heel. Shame it's TNA though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Critical posted:

Most likely FMW. Mr Pogo is the one with the face paint that carries the scythe around. I think he actually cut a few people with it hardway, but it was mostly used to look brutal and smear the already present blood around.

Well what do they expect him to do if they're going to fight like a pussy? :rolleyes:

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Are Summer Rae and Fandango only an onscreen couple?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I have heard nothing about them being together in real life.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are the longest running feuds in wrestling? I mean storyline feuds so not Bret v Vince or anything like that. WCW v nWo must be up there and maybe Vince v Austin. But are there any older feuds that lasted a long time?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't know, but it reminds me of that running gag the Royal Rumble had going for awhile where Tito Santana and Rick Martel would immediately single each other out and continue their never ending feud.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Rusty Shackelford posted:

There's also the well-promoted rumor that David either was voted the next NWA champion by the promoters or there was going to be a vote where he was going to be the next champion. David was the third most over (behind Kerry and Kevin) but probably the second most talented, ring wise, behind Kevin.

The Von Erichs were so huge in Dallas/Fort Worth in that time period that most of the deaths and Kerry's arrests were leading nightly news. They also did a painful series of local pizza commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyXSTlls4ew

Cameal
Sep 23, 2004

Ultragonk posted:

What are the longest running feuds in wrestling? I mean storyline feuds so not Bret v Vince or anything like that. WCW v nWo must be up there and maybe Vince v Austin. But are there any older feuds that lasted a long time?

I think Terry Funk and Dusty Rhodes started in the late 60's or early 70's and went as late as mind 90's WCW.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm told they also have a grudge against Paul Heyman because they were led to believe the Dudley Boyz trademark wasn't sold to WWE when in reality it was thus they had to scramble and come up with new ring names.

It's really remarkable how much Bubba was able to turn himself around, create the Bully Ray gimmick and become a believable main event heel. Shame it's TNA though.

To be fair, for his sake, it's probably good that it was TNA. It took a long time to develop that character and that wasn't going to happen in the WWE.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ultragonk posted:

Super Crazy and Tajiri feud in pretty much every company they both end up in, which is fairly often.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Shima Honnou posted:

Was it this? Mr. Pogo vs. Masato Tanaka (really tough to watch)

http://youtu.be/9BV5Ful-q4k?t=31m24s

And here's the hilarious pre-match promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BV5Ful-q4k&t=24m39s

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Wow, that's certainly something and definitely a bit hard to watch. I assume the dirty spot in the middle of that ring is shitloads of blood from other matches :stonk:

Also, I'm surprised to hear that hardcore wrestling in Japan goes back to the '30s at least. That said, Mr. Pogo does a good job using that kusarigama as a visual weapon without doing nearly as much damage as it really could. If those teeth are sharp enough to cut skin, and they are from the video, they're sharp enough to pretty much destroy muscle but he obviously isn't trying to disable Tanaka. Impressive, in a morbid way.