Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharzak posted:

a man who has perhaps the largest belly on any human being I've ever seen

I saw a guy who tucked his stomach into his pants like a shirt and it was clearly visible as such and also loving gross. I think I win.

Veyrall posted:

Also, Sharzak, I don't know why the existance of utilikilts bothers you as much as it does. I've seen way worse with the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd at my LGS that "cosplays" as "original characters" that generally consist of over-dyed, over-sprayed spike hair, plastic shoulderpads, neon colors, and a desperate lack of aesthetic sense. But they don't steal anything and are pretty polite, which apparently puts them miles ahead of other Yu-Gi-Oh crowds.

A) YGO players are nasty swearing thieving little spider monkeys.

B) The best is the guys who basically LARP the game with those arm-mounted things, but they can't afford one from Toys R Us so they made their own out of cardboard.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Veyrall posted:

He's playing it up for humor. I don't think Sharzak was in any genuine danger of being sucked into orbit around the overweight gentleman seated next to him. But I'm worried that I've met the Affinity guy he's talking about.

Well yeah that much I get but hot pockets guy is pretty indefensible. If you started a new hobby and went to the shop and he was the first guy you had to interact with, you wouldn't have a good impression. Add in things like kilt guy swearing at young kids for the sake of being edgy and its hard to shake the stigma that people already have for these kinds of hobbies and it doesn't make new people want to join in.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Yay, Nic Fit won against UWR Delver, used Garruk Primal Hunter to add dudes and I think he topdecked a Liliana of the Veil to kill the guys Delver. I hope he is at least in the Top 4, Glorious Espana! :toot:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you have a lovely community at your LGS don't just post on the internet about it. Talk to your TO or your owner. My LGS used to be messy and kind of lovely and all it took was some regulars who asked the owner to improve and offered to help. They organized the Magic cards, helped toss some poo poo out, they just showed the owner that it mattered and after that things improved rapidly. The play space was renovated, the rules were changed to make things more open and friendly and that improvement made me want to get involved in my LGS and I started to TO and Judge. I'm pretty proud of my store these days. It went from being kind of messy and with some lovely people 4 years ago to a really clean and professional place go play with a great community. We all still complain and seriously dislike some people who come in but they follow the rules and are clean and personable don't make scenes or annoy others (I'm just a petty rear end in a top hat and they have annoying personalities)

I'm not saying you need to volunteer to clean your shop on a weekend and help your LGS renovate but make it clear to people that it matters. Tell them, politely what is unacceptable, and if they are not responsive contact the WPN.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just been watching the MTG stream on twitch and I got to say Rich Hagon is adorable. His enthusiasm is really infectious and he makes me want to play magic even more. I know a lot of the SCG/WotC coverage got a lot of criticism regarding their commentators, but if you was in their shoes who would you let commentate on which type events and why?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Samael posted:

Just been watching the MTG stream on twitch and I got to say Rich Hagon is adorable. His enthusiasm is really infectious and he makes me want to play magic even more. I know a lot of the SCG/WotC coverage got a lot of criticism regarding their commentators, but if you was in their shoes who would you let commentate on which type events and why?

Rich Hagon and BDM combo, great commentators together, add Randy Buehler to either and it's good too.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Samael posted:

LSV solo commentary the whole way.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Samael posted:

Rich gets a ton of hate from a lot of the Magic community for acting like he doesn't know things. He's not the strongest at commentating on play, but his enthusiasm is excellent he does a great job turning a tournament into a more human story, its pretty positive.

and while its true he isn't as great as others at play-by-play he's not as dumb as people say he is. Someone on the commentary side usually plays a little dumb, creating space for someone else to explain details a new viewer might not understand.

I always get a kick out of reminding people who bitch about how dumb he is that the guy has more Lifetime Pro Points than they ever will.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mezzanon posted:

Lately I've been playing a lot of Mono-B aggro, instead of regular Mono-B (which is rampant in my local meta) The deck is LOADS of fun to play, and I highly recommend it for anyone. I'm also just glad to be playing Agent of the Fate.dek

I've been playing your Rakdos Aggro list, should I play mono-B aggro instead? Looks like plenty of fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

LSV is at his best when he has a straight man, actually.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Livingtrope posted:

LSV doing commentary with Ben Stark is absolutely fantastic. LSV bothering Paul Cheon while Cheon is streaming is great too. LSV and Cheon are going to be doing commentary together soon during an event CFB is running so that should be really great.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Livingtrope posted:

The secret to LSV is when LSV is with someone who finds him funny, but not in the same way that LSV finds himself funny.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Livingtrope posted:

I wasn't really being serious, but I'll respond seriously. LSV has very few, if any holes in his understanding of the game so an additional color commentator is not necessary. He's fantastic at keeping up with game state and explicitly stating what's going on, both on the table and in the players' heads, so a dedicated play-by-play man is only needed to give LSV time to breathe/drink water.

Stark's commentary is very informative, but I find him extremely grating at times. He's that guy you know is right, but is right in an obnoxious, unrelenting way. Cheon is cool but unremarkable IMO. BDM is cool but gets off track a lot, he's more useful for the deck techs/vignettes.

So pair him with Hagon, and have Hagon handle the boilerplate commentary (basic play-by-play, explaining what cards do for the casual viewers). Execute Hagon the first time he tries to make a pun.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 15, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

quote is not edit

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

So pair him with Hagon, and have Hagon handle the boilerplate commentary (basic play-by-play, explaining what cards do for the casual viewers). Execute Hagon the first time he tries to make a pun.

I agree completely with the rest of you post (about LSV, Cheon and BDM, I haven't heard enough about Stark to guage whether you're right about him), I just like when lsv has someone to bounce off of. Hagon would probably be pretty interesting with him, I'd like to see that actually. Course, the only person I think wouldn't be interesting with lsv is Sheldon, but that's not lsv's fault...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

Rich gets a ton of hate from a lot of the Magic community for acting like he doesn't know things. He's not the strongest at commentating on play, but his enthusiasm is excellent he does a great job turning a tournament into a more human story, its pretty positive.

and while its true he isn't as great as others at play-by-play he's not as dumb as people say he is. Someone on the commentary side usually plays a little dumb, creating space for someone else to explain details a new viewer might not understand.

He's one of the few MTG (or eSports) broadcasters that understand broadcasting.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I really like Hagon as a presenter for all their nonmatch stuff and he works really well with BDM. I'm neutral towards him actually commentating on matches: he does his part as the guy drawing out the others into proper explanations but I don't think he brings much to the table other than being basically capable at that role. Some energy that his co commentators sometimes lack, I guess.

Sheldon is the one who just needs to stop. People debate over Hagon or Sutcliffe or other presenters but it's drat hard to make a case for Menery. He's inarticulate and has the charisma of a dead cow.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sheldon is the one who just needs to stop. People debate over Hagon or Sutcliffe or other presenters but it's drat hard to make a case for Menery. He's inarticulate and has the charisma of a dead cow.

This is true, but it also makes for some of the actual funniest footage.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boxn posted:

Rich Hagon and BDM combo, great commentators together, add Randy Buehler to either and it's good too.
Randy Buehler has been destroying it on commentary lately. Really good commentary from him, especially last week when he was doing updates between gameplay.

Lots of people have said it and I agree that they really need to learn some of the positive things from poker tv shows, specifically World Poker Tour.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

He's one of the few MTG (or eSports) broadcasters that understand broadcasting.

I don't remember who it was, but there was a great moment in commentary once where Marshall Sutcliffe pretended to be ignorant of a card interaction to allow his commentary partner to jump in and explain to the viewer. Of course whatever autist they had in the booth with him that day starts explaining it to Marshall while being a massive condescending turd annoying Marshall so much that he had to break character and just be like "listen dipshit I know what the loving card does, i was trying to help you" The utter contempt in Marshall's voice was palpable.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I love LSV's commentary but I don't think its ideal, he goes absolutely balls deep into decisions and lines of play and what players are thinking and obviously people who know Magic find that super interesting and rewarding but its incredibly important to remember that while he is doing that, there is a significant audience watching thinking.

Wait why did that creature not tap when it attacked?.

I think he would be excellent as an analyst post match, or in some other type of feature where he can share his excellent perspective without making portions of the live commentary impenetrable for casual viewers.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mezzanon posted:

Lately I've been playing a lot of Mono-B aggro, instead of regular Mono-B (which is rampant in my local meta) The deck is LOADS of fun to play, and I highly recommend it for anyone. I'm also just glad to be playing Agent of the Fate.dek

Deck has a lot of lines of play, and you get a lot of weird looks from people once you drop an Agent of the Fates or a Herald of Torment. I'm very excited for Scavenging Ooze to rotate out so that people will start appreciating Nighthowler more.

Born of the Gods added some fun :

- Eye Gouge: This card is pretty incredibly. It helps you deal with opponents blockers. It enables heroic for Agent of the Fates and Tormented Hero (Both of those heroic triggers have been relevant.) And most importantly I got to use it for its greatest purpose: Kill a Mutavault, on the opponents T2 no less. It felt incredible.

- Herald of Torment: Okay, I might just really like this card because I think he's rad, but whatever. He's a 3/3 flier for 3 so he eats Nightveil Spectres all day which is important. And he's a great bestow for Agent or Hero because he's an additional way to gain evasion outside of Gift of Orzhova. Also I'm speculating that in a few months he'll increase in price and my wild baseless speculation will pay off. (yeah right!)

- Sidebord Bile Blight: I'm really enjoying this against Mono-U, Zombie tokens, and Pack Rats. I'm torn on whether I like this more than Drown in Sorrow (I'm still leaning towards Bile Blight over Drown in Sorrow

All in all a great set of games with some weird scenarios. My final opponent for the day told me that I'm his kryptonite. He only plays FNM occasionally but usually places rather well. Apparently though, his record against me specifically is just terrible, which I think is pretty funny. Because I have one guy at my FLGS who is MY kryptonite. My record against him is terrible. So I reassured my opponent that he is also kryptonite for someone else out there in the Magic: The Gathering world. Everybody has a FNM nemesis, it's funny idea.
Curious if you have tried some amount of Spiteful Returned for that little bit of extra reach as well as being a relatively cheap bestow creature?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Stinky Pit posted:

I don't remember who it was, but there was a great moment in commentary once where Marshall Sutcliffe pretended to be ignorant of a card interaction to allow his commentary partner to jump in and explain to the viewer. Of course whatever autist they had in the booth with him that day starts explaining it to Marshall while being a massive condescending turd annoying Marshall so much that he had to break character and just be like "listen dipshit I know what the loving card does, i was trying to help you" The utter contempt in Marshall's voice was palpable.

Marshall is a cool dude, though I admit my enjoyment of him may be driven by the fact that his podcast is fairly interesting.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mulletstation posted:

Rishadan Port is at $100.

What. The. gently caress.

I saw that the other day. This is going to out me as a horrible nerd but I took my girlfriend out to a really nice dinner last night, and afterwords the first thought that popped into my head "drat, that entire meal cost about as much as two Ports, what the gently caress kind of world do we live in?"

E: Jesus H the TCGPlayer average is $118 now :negative: Was it always so sought-after when it first got printed? I noticed it's banned in Block Constructed, for what little that means today.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I saw that the other day. This is going to out me as a horrible nerd but I took my girlfriend out to a really nice dinner last night, and afterwords the first thought that popped into my head "drat, that entire meal cost about as much as two Ports, what the gently caress kind of world do we live in?"

The difference is you poop out that meal later, but Rishadan Ports are forever.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Clearly the answer is to eat the Rishadan Ports.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
LSV + Ben Stark is fun because Ben appears to have no sense of humor whatsoever and just gets buried under an avalanche of LSV trolls that he somehow utterly lacks the capacity to understand or play-off so he just gets mad and annoyed.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Lands and Death and Taxes have firmly cemented themselves as Tier 1 decks after years of being strictly 1.5/2nd Tier so the increased demand for Rishadan Port is understandable.

C-Euro posted:

Magic is expensive, but so are girlfriends, so is a night of going out drinking with some buddies, catching a good concert, taking a trip to catch a baseball game. You start comparing buying singles you need to the other stuff in your life you do for fun and Magic compares pretty reasonably.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 15, 2014

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

LSV + Ben Stark is fun because Ben appears to have no sense of humor whatsoever and just gets buried under an avalanche of LSV trolls that he somehow utterly lacks the capacity to understand or play-off so he just gets mad and annoyed.

This actually is Ben's sense of humor; it's why they get along so well. He's got a dry wit, and when he's with LSV he turns it up to 11 because he knows LSV will turn his trolling up to 11 in response. And LSV is never more excited than he is when Ben's facade finally breaks and he has to hide a smile or cough to cover a laugh.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Whoa there's a brew at GP Paris that was just on camera that is currently 7-0. Bant Lands is what the chat is calling it. MB Force of Will that can either be hardcast or enough blue cards to be pitched to stop combo. Kill condition is still the thespian stage-dark depth combo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So in my previous pack lottery I opened Xenagod, Pain Seer, and another Xenagod.

Can't get better, right?

:stare:
It's me. I'm the guy everyone wants to be.
I'm the good pack opener. :getin:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Veyrall posted:

Clearly the answer is to eat the Rishadan Ports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouAfbqiUjj8

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Stinky Pit posted:

Magic is expensive, but so are girlfriends, so is a night of going out drinking with some buddies, catching a good concert, taking a trip to catch a baseball game. You start comparing buying singles you need to the other stuff in your life you do for fun and Magic compares pretty reasonably.

I mean I wasn't saying "I could have this nice dinner OR two Ports" but more of "two of those pieces of paper are worth as much as all this food"

Magic can get pretty drat expensive, which I guess isn't a revolutionary new idea.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

MMD3 posted:

What's so great about tormented hero? Just that its low cost for a 2/1?

Getting your opponent to 1 life before he locks you out, then holding a Tormented Hero until you find an Ultimate Price or Hero's Downfall or anything to target him. I've won a few games this way.

Mezzanon posted:

- Herald of Torment: Okay, I might just really like this card because I think he's rad, but whatever.

Because he's the closest thing to Juzam Djinn they've printed in years, that's why! I really want to try this deck out. Anything that lets me play him and Agent of Fates has to be good. After yesterday's attempt at 2 FNMs, I need to do something different. 5 rounds of creature screw and one round of mana screw, in a deck with 15 big threat creatures which never actually loses, and everyone playing netdecked control decks. So I guess the question is how does the deck do against control?

The only upside is I know I should have won round 4 and gotten something for prizes. Apparently towards the end of game 3, he played 2 lands in one turn which let him make a Heliod token, which meant he didn't have to use his Mutavault token to block, which meant he had it next turn to chump block along with a new Heliod token, which was enough time to find a Supreme Verdict and kill me the turn before I found a Scavenging Ooze and gained at least 10 life. But for whatever reason the guy watching didn't bother saying anything until after the game.

The guy was pretty terrible all around though. He would randomly rotate his graveyard 90 degrees which really screwed with my math with ScOoze, he used a die set to 2 for Heliod tokens even though he only had 1, because they have 2 power, again screwing with my math because nobody ever uses the number to indicate power. He looked at me like I was stupid when I said I thought there were 2 based on the fact that the die was on 2. I would hope most people aren't so lame thay they'll play a deck without having at least one of the appropriate tokens.

Later in the game, I went to combat, passed priority, and tried to blow up his his Spear so my attacker would live. He made a big deal about how I can't do that because we both passed priority even though after that I had turned my guy sideways and poked it, pretty clearly indicating he was attacking. So I declared attacks, poked my sideways guy again and then killed his Spear. Not to mention he had bad breath. :sigh: Nerds.

Between that and 3 games of T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Thoughtseize, Duress, T5 Rakdos's Return for the rest of my hand, and then every time I held a kill spell for his Mutavault because I couldn't find a creature, he somehow hit me with Duress or Thoughtseize before animating, I'm so tired of playing Magic right now. I hate Thoughtseize; it takes so much skill out of the game and turns your good enough hand into garbage before you can even play a land.

I really hate losing to terrible people with terrible decks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So does the event finder on the Magic website just not work anymore? I can filter events down to the venues, but if I try to get any details it just tells me the servers aren't responding. Which makes no sense. I'm trying to plan for upcoming GPTs and such, but I can't do that until they get it back to just being a clunky, technically functional piece of poo poo like it was before.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Watching GP paris with Simon Goertzen commentating and he is pretty good. I like him, LSV, and Marshall Sutcliffe, since they have pretty easy-to-listen-to voices.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Jabor posted:

A gaming store having a microwave sounds like a completely terrible idea, I have no idea what people would use it for that isn't a total mess waiting to happen.

Presuming that a slobby gaming store is going to attract slobs, is there any other place you could play MTG around? Perhaps one where the normal people hang out since they also don't want to be around those guys?

I feel bad bringing this up again since I'm nowhere near as cranky about it in the warm light of the morning but this particular store actually rules. They have almost every single in stock, helpful staff, great prize support, and the place is generally clean. The microwave is there because the store owners regularly pull 12-15 hour shifts and people do stuff like marathon pre-releases for a day straight.

Every games store I've been to has dudes like the ones I described in my last post. They spend tons of money and aren't necessarily all awful people, just completely not socially aware. Sorry for bringing this up again I just felt the need to defend the e-bushido of my store I guess

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

suicidesteve posted:

The guy was pretty terrible all around though. He would randomly rotate his graveyard 90 degrees which really screwed with my math with ScOoze, he used a die set to 2 for Heliod tokens even though he only had 1, because they have 2 power, again screwing with my math because nobody ever uses the number to indicate power. He looked at me like I was stupid when I said I thought there were 2 based on the fact that the die was on 2. I would hope most people aren't so lame thay they'll play a deck without having at least one of the appropriate tokens.

I really hate losing to terrible people with terrible decks.
This really sucks. In the future I'd put down a spare card for my opponent if they did that. I don't really get people that don't have tokens or token like replacement cards when they know their deck needs them.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

This is a pretty cool video.

vvvv Don't tell anyone but that's my video shhhhh

Pussy Snorkel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 15, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That video is more believable than 90% of the unboxing poo poo on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
15 year old playing legacy on cam, must have a pretty cool Dad.

• Locked thread