Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:siren:HOT SAUCE QUESTION.:siren:

I've been packaging my hot sauce in 5oz woozy bottles for a long time, but I get a pretty low re-use rate on them on account of giving a lot it away combine with not always being able to get them completely clean for re-use. So I'm thinking of moving to a either plastic woozy bottles of 8oz squeezies clear plastic squeezies like you put custom sauces in for the kitchen. The thing is, I sometimes might need to store these sauce for a year or so in the final packaging before they get used/given away. Does anyone have any experience with long term storage of hot sauce or other vinegar based sauce in plastic containers? What flavor effects are seen?

No experience with hot sauce per se, but from still ciders and meads you can consider metabisulfate to kill whatever bugs are present and keep it shelf stable. Benzoate is another common shelf stable additive but I don't know much about it.

You can also pasteurize and can. Maybe beer bottles and caps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ah, I'm not worried about it being sanitary. It's all vinegar and salt, after all. It's more of a "picking up plastic flavor" thing I was worried about.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, the sriracha plastic bottles don't change the taste of the sauce even after a year.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, the sriracha plastic bottles don't change the taste of the sauce even after a year.

Yeah well, sriracha has preservatives in it in.

The woman and I went through a big hot sauce making phase last year, and I've been disappointed with how well it keeps. You'd think being made almost entirely of vinegar, salt and sugar would make something keep FOREVER in the fridge, but after about 2 months it starts to turn brown and murky. Still tastes good, just not as pretty.

So, I keep all of my home made hot sauce in glass now, I figure that glass is somewhat more air-tight. A good solution for giving presents is to buy glass bottles of cheap cayenne pepper hot sauce, dump it out and soak the label off. I found them at the dollar store for a buck for a big bottle and 3 for a dollar for smaller ones.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Benzoate is another common shelf stable additive but I don't know much about it.

I've been wanting to try this.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oxygen and light are two of the biggest enemies of good tasting food.

But anyways, I don't think plastic taste leeching out into your sauce is a problem as long the plastic bottles are food grade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that I had stored in plastic long term that added any flavor to it. Usually it was the other way around that whatever was in the container perma-stained / left a scent in the plastic when I was done with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had sauerkraut pick up a distinct plastic flavor once, but that's the only time it's happened.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

I had sauerkraut pick up a distinct plastic flavor once, but that's the only time it's happened.

Ah, yeah Sauerkraut is one thing I don't do in plastic but only because I had read about that being 'a thing' beforehand. Mostly it's because my fiancee thinks that having anything in plastic for long at all is somehow toxic :allears: .

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I am making "Tjälknöl".

Anyone ever tried this? Any recommendations?
It's 7F here today, so I made a basic salt/pepper rub and have it hanging in my garage to freeze.
I'd have asked in the charcuterie thread, but this doesn't seem 'long term' enough to count.

Would doing a salt rub with tender quick or incorporating prague #1 into the brine be good alternatives in the future to the recipe I posted?

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Anyone have a good recipe for turning country style ribs in to carnitas?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Safety Engineer posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for turning country style ribs in to carnitas?

Are you talking already made country style ribs that you want to repurpose, or the raw variety of meat used to make country style ribs prior to cooking?

If the latter, country style ribs are just pork sirloin/rib end meat. A quick search for 'pork sirloin carnitas' turns up a bunch of standard stuff.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

They're of the raw variety, I was just wondering if anyone had a particularly favorite recipe since I vaguely remember one thread breaking down after a hefty debate on the subject of Carnitas.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Safety Engineer posted:

They're of the raw variety, I was just wondering if anyone had a particularly favorite recipe since I vaguely remember one thread breaking down after a hefty debate on the subject of Carnitas.

Well I do this all the time kinda.

Country style ribs on sale at the grocery store I buy in bulk and then slow cook in lard like confit, with no seasonings. Then you can shred the meat and do whatever with it when serving (apply whatever spices/flavorings and fry it up in the lard to get it nice and crispy if you want that). This is pretty much how you make carnitas anyways, except when you're making carnitas you can put some stuff in the lard while you're cooking it to flavor the meat. It will work fine with that cut of meat, just melt some lard, add your flavorings and slow cook the ribs. Usually for carnitas its like, cayenne pepper, orange peel, onion garlic cumin salt pepper oregano or something right? Just cook it low and slow until the meat is tender, then take the meat out, strain the fat, return the fat to the heat, make it hot and deep fry the meat for some nice crispy edges.

If you are a coward who is afraid of lard you can use oil, like canola or something, probably.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Most carnitas recipes call for chunks of pork shoulder so you can cut it up, add your oil and seasoning and throw the dutch oven in the stove for a while.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Two small or one large orange, cut in half with the juice squeezed into the lard, and I use a quartered onion and 1-2 dried ancho chilies, (cut in half, seeds removed) myself, but yea pretty much whatever you like I think as long as it's along those lines.

Then shred, mix with small amount of the cooking liquid, spread on a foil lined cookie sheet and pop it under the broiler to crisp up a little.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, that gives me enough of a guideline to wing it now. Pretty sure I have some manteca lard stored somewhere in the pantry too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drat, no ideas for vinegar slaw? It seems like one of those things that's easy enough to wing it, but I'm having a hell of a time googling up a recipe that doesn't have sugar or honey in it.

Wonder if I can substitute something for one of them.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
You can do it without the sugar but it is there to balance out the harshness of the vinegar and salt. I don't think it would be very good without it.

Just make the vinaigrette taste good to you before you dump it on slaw.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Ive made it without sugar before and I have to agree you need the balance, I dont like it particularly sweet either and this recipe from amazingribs.com has gone over very well at parties and bbqs.

Sweeet-Sour Slaw Recipe
Yield. 8 small servings
Prep time. 30 minutes
Let it sit. At least 1 hour in the fridge if possible

Ingredients for the dressing
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (not celery salt)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (corn oil or salad oil mix are good choices)
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar (not cider vinegar)

Ingredients for the slaw
1 pound green cabbage (about half a medium cabbage)
1 large carrot, peeled
1 small white onion
1/2 bell pepper, any color

Optional additions. Add 3 red radishes for a pinch of heat. Add white radishes if you like a jab of heat. Add a small jalapeño if you like a punch of heat. There are some jalapeno flecks in the picture above because that's the way I roll.

Method
1) In a bowl large enough for the whole shootin' match, whisk together the dressing. Don't skip the mustard. It's the secret ingredient that gives it life. And make sure all the lumps are whisked out.

2) Read my article on The Zen of Slawsome Slaw. Decide how you want to cut the cabbage, carrots, and onions: Chopped, grated, or hashed and have at it. I like this recipe best when chopped or grated. now that you've decided, do it.

3) Add the cabbage, carrots, and onions to the bowl with the dressing. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour if possible to extract the flavors from the celery seeds and the vegetables. They will give up some water, so don't worry if the mix seems a bit dry and strong at first. Mix it up occasionally so the dressing doesn't pool at the bottom and taste. You can now add more of the seasonings to your preference.

4) When you serve it, mix thoroughly and scoop from the bottom so the veggies have dressing on them.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
So I made juanes and they turned out great and really delicious and I want to bring them into normal lunch circulation, but they're a little labor intensive. Since the recipe I used involved mostly-cooking the chicken and then mostly-cooking rice in the chicken leftovers and then combining before steaming, is there any reason why I can't just cook the rice and chicken together in a slow cooker with all the spices and then just remove and steam? If so, how long should I have the chicken in before adding the rice/how long should the whole thing cook? I've never done rice in a slow cooker but I mean...isn't a rice cooker just a specialized slow cooker?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:siren:HOT SAUCE QUESTION.:siren:

I thought I posted but maybe not. I use jelly jars so I can process 'em easily. Just use a spoon.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I need a beer I can use in Beef Stew and/or Beef and Ale pie which won't get bitter with long cooking times (low hops?) and can reliably be found in a major American grocery chain with poor selection such as Walmart.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Why would you cook with a beer you don't want bitter notes from? That's the point of cooking with beer.

Hops are sour.

Guinness is traditional and almost syrupy if reduced.
Killian's Irish Red, less 'dark beer flavor', still has body, can be reduced well.

You can find both in Walmart.

I dunno, those are generic cooking beers. What do flavor profile DO you want from beer when cooking with it?

edit: I guess you could look at an ale flavored with honey or something.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 15, 2014

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Because the last time I made beef stew with some beer the bitterness went past the point of tasting nice. I don't know a much about beer, but google indicated this was largely due to reduction concentrating the flavor of the hops.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

copen posted:

You can do it without the sugar but it is there to balance out the harshness of the vinegar and salt. I don't think it would be very good without it.

Just make the vinaigrette taste good to you before you dump it on slaw.

I'm using it as a condiment on a sandwich with boiled shrimp and hot sauce... I guess a couple teaspoons of sugar or honey would balance out the flavor some.

The shrimp is going with Cajun seasoning though, so I don't want it to be too sweet.

Also what is the general opinion re: cider vinegar vs. white vinegar? I'm still trying to decide if I should use one or the other, or just flip a coin.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Because the last time I made beef stew with some beer the bitterness went past the point of tasting nice. I don't know a much about beer, but google indicated this was largely due to reduction concentrating the flavor of the hops.

*shrug*
Many really dark beers, and some reds, usually higher APV varieties, use less hops to keep it sweeter and 'darker', but most beers are 'bitter'.
Maybe do your onions/garlic/whatever, remove from pan, use beer to deglaze and reduce. Taste, and add sweeteners to counter balance the flavor that you're finding obtrusive as you build your sauce/braising liquid/whatever as you cook?

Beer is bitter/chocolate-y/yeasty/sour by default. You're not going to get rid of that any time you cook with it.

edit: again, I don't really know what flavor profile you're looking for given your description of the problem. If you want a 'deep brown' note that doesn't come from the meat browning process of making a stew, would adding a dark cup of coffee be a solution as you reduce?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Also what is the general opinion re: cider vinegar vs. white vinegar? I'm still trying to decide if I should use one or the other, or just flip a coin.

If using as a condiment (as in, you're using it to make a coleslaw condiment to a dish), cider has a lot more depth to it.

Personally, I'd use the 'fruity' sour of cider vinegar to compliment the sweetness of the shrimp, even with the cajun seasoning. I think it'd bring the sweet shrimp flavor up nicely.

If you want to have a slaw that's extremely 'clean' tasting (ie just crunch and sour) to accent heavily blackened shrimp and want that smokey spice note of the shrimp to stand on it's own, then I'd go white. I think I'd go cider though as it would really make a difference in making it an almost true 'sweet and sour' as opposed to 'spice and sour'.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

At this point I don't really have a specific flavor profile in mind, I'm just trying ways to add more complex flavor to beef soups/stews/ect.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I like Guinness in stew. Red wine also works really well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Big Beef City posted:

If using as a condiment (as in, you're using it to make a coleslaw condiment to a dish), cider has a lot more depth to it.

Personally, I'd use the 'fruity' sour of cider vinegar to compliment the sweetness of the shrimp, even with the cajun seasoning. I think it'd bring the sweet shrimp flavor up nicely.

If you want to have a slaw that's extremely 'clean' tasting (ie just crunch and sour) to accent heavily blackened shrimp and want that smokey spice note of the shrimp to stand on it's own, then I'd go white. I think I'd go cider though as it would really make a difference in making it an almost true 'sweet and sour' as opposed to 'spice and sour'.

That's about what I was thinking.

... dammit, now I'm wondering if I should experiment with using coconut milk or pineapple juice as a sweetener along with the sugar.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Don't go nuts.
Also, pineapple juice is a natural meat tenderizer. So if it sits in contact with protein for any considerable length of time it's gonna pulverize it.

Probably only to be taken into consideration if this was going to sit for an appreciable amount of time before being eaten.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Big Beef City posted:

Don't go nuts.
Also, pineapple juice is a natural meat tenderizer. So if it sits in contact with protein for any considerable length of time it's gonna pulverize it.

Probably only to be taken into consideration if this was going to sit for an appreciable amount of time before being eaten.

It's not. I'm gonna cook the shrimp, put it on the bread, put the slaw on that, put another piece of bread on top of that, eat it, and put all the leftover ingredients in separate containers in the fridge.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Well I thought my initial concerns over beer selection here might have been overblown, but I went to two stores and neither carried Guinness. :psyduck:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I've been wanting to make/try kitsune udon for the first time. I ordered some sanuki udon noodles that are frozen and will become chilled during shipping (ditto the tofu). Can whatever I am not using be frozen and kept or should I just suck it up and go nuts during the week cooking them while keeping them refrigerated?

Also, fried tofu inari sushi wraps - do those keep very long? I wanted to try those, but I'm hesitant.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Oxygen and light are two of the biggest enemies of good tasting food.

But anyways, I don't think plastic taste leeching out into your sauce is a problem as long the plastic bottles are food grade.

Yeah, I suppose I'll probably just make an experiment with the plastic then. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I also use mason jars, put em in a covered box in the bottom of the pantry and transfer to a squeeze bottle when I start to run low. I do wonder if theres an additive thats easy to get a hold of to keep them stable in spite of light and a little heat? My peach habanero (pasteurized) sauce starts to lose its color but not taste if it gets too much light.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Well I thought my initial concerns over beer selection here might have been overblown, but I went to two stores and neither carried Guinness. :psyduck:

I might get crap for suggesting this, but I usually use whatever cheap lager we have on hand for stew (Budweiser or PBR usually.) They don't get bitter but as a trade-off they also don't contribute a lot of flavor.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

phthalocyanine posted:

I might get crap for suggesting this, but I usually use whatever cheap lager we have on hand for stew (Budweiser or PBR usually.) They don't get bitter but as a trade-off they also don't contribute a lot of flavor.

Oh god.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

phthalocyanine posted:

Why not just use water at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aerofallosov posted:

I've been wanting to make/try kitsune udon for the first time. I ordered some sanuki udon noodles that are frozen and will become chilled during shipping (ditto the tofu). Can whatever I am not using be frozen and kept or should I just suck it up and go nuts during the week cooking them while keeping them refrigerated?

Also, fried tofu inari sushi wraps - do those keep very long? I wanted to try those, but I'm hesitant.

Udon noodles can be had, dry, from even big box retailers.
I can buy udon noodles in Green Bay WI.
If I can find them, you probably can too.

Don't eat frozen tofu.

Please, don't.