Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

tsob posted:

Tieria could be, but he has no listed age due to his nature as an Innovade so it's hard to really say. He doesn't act like one though.

I think I recall some implication that Tieria is the youngest member of Celestial Being, can't remember by how much or where I saw this though. His absolute minimum age in the first series is five because he turns up piloting the Virtue Physical five years before the series starts in one of the mangas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

boom boom boom posted:

I had forgotten how much political stuff there was in Gundam Wing. I haven't seen it since it was on Toonami, so all I remembered was the badass robots and their sexy teen pilots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE

I really love how the narrator places so much emphasis on "However."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

1. Goddammit Reccoa. And Fa. You're both kinda killing me when it comes to my attempting to build a case for Zeta doing women justice.

As someone who likes Zeta, I have to admit that Reccoa is kind of the worst and I generally struggle to remember why the gently caress she does half of what she does in the series. Although there is one funny moment later on (minor spoilers) where she's fighting Emma and ranting on incoherently about "MEN:argh:" and "I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE I'M A WOMAN" and poor Emma basically just goes "THAT'S STUPID WHY AREN'T YOU MAKING ANY SENSE :psyduck:"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

As someone who likes Zeta, I have to admit that Reccoa is kind of the worst and I generally struggle to remember why the gently caress she does half of what she does in the series. Although there is one funny moment later on (minor spoilers) where she's fighting Emma and ranting on incoherently about "MEN:argh:" and "I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE I'M A WOMAN" and poor Emma basically just goes "THAT'S STUPID WHY AREN'T YOU MAKING ANY SENSE :psyduck:"

She was emotionally vulnerable, Scirocco's Newtype powers ate her brain, and she blames the AEUG (and especially Char) for not realising what was going on until it was too late seems to be the interpretation that explains the most about her behaviour.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darth Walrus posted:

She was emotionally vulnerable, Scirocco's Newtype powers ate her brain, and she blames the AEUG (and especially Char) for not realising what was going on until it was too late seems to be the interpretation that explains the most about her behaviour.

Yeah a lot of the weirdness late in the series can be put down to Scirocco being like the second most powerful newtype ever and also a huge creep. He's such a great, hateable villain.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Darth Walrus posted:

Not to mention she was a traumatized child soldier who fought not out of any sense of duty to the cause, but as part of her searching for an identity. Scirocco offered her one, while Char at best attempted to play along. Being part of Scirocco's harem at least made her feel like she had some kind of identity outside of the mission, contrast that to Char standing wood-stiff and letting her kiss him in exchange for taking a risky role for the next sortie. He didn't even take his shades off and let her pretend to connect with him as a human being.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Raku posted:

Not to mention she was a traumatized child soldier who fought not out of any sense of duty to the cause, but as part of her searching for an identity. Scirocco offered her one, while Char at best attempted to play along. Being part of Scirocco's harem at least made her feel like she had some kind of identity outside of the mission, contrast that to Char standing wood-stiff and letting her kiss him in exchange for taking a risky role for the next sortie. He didn't even take his shades off and let her pretend to connect with him as a human being.

Char can do many things, but convincingly act like he's into adult women isn't one of them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TTBF posted:

Char can do many things, but convincingly act like he's into adult women isn't one of them.

:thurman:

I kind of just wanted to break up the black text walls a little bit.

That part of Char's character has never really sat well with me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm pretty sure the only thing Char's into is revenge. Every other "relationship" he has ever been in was mostly just him manipulating the other person through their feelings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure the only thing Char's into is revenge. Every other "relationship" he has ever been in was mostly just him manipulating the other person through their feelings.

He did seem to have a genuine thing for Lalah, though. It was just a very weird thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

He did seem to have a genuine thing for Lalah, though. It was just a very weird thing.

And then she died. And he mourned her for about five seconds.

Also his obsession with revenge was forgotten about for most of the anime when he became more obsessed with Newtypes.

Dude can't make up his mind. If nothing else, Zeta Char is much more dedicated and focused.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That's the problem, he had such a thing for her that he refused to let it go 10-15 years later. Really makes you wonder what would've happened to him if he didn't immediately go from :argh: "Zabiiiiiiiiiis!" to :argh: "Amurooooooooo!"

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

TARDISman posted:

That's the problem, he had such a thing for her that he refused to let it go 10-15 years later. Really makes you wonder what would've happened to him if he didn't immediately go from :argh: "Zabiiiiiiiiiis!" to :argh: "Amurooooooooo!"

He probably would have tried to become a creepy and controlling influence on his sister's life

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Sai Sici is helped by the fact that nobody could be worse than his Japanese actor.
I like Kappei Yamaguchi. When he's in the proper pitch, that is.

When Kappei Yamaguchi drops to his deeper octaves (like with Tasuku Shinguji or Tobia Arronax), he's okay. The moment he swerves into higher pitches (like Sai Saici, Teddie and Rattrap), I want to violently claw my ears off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jesus Christ. *isn't even halfway through Episode 49* I suspected something like this was coming but come on. Stop killing everybody! I actually liked these characters! Okay..I didn't like Katz, but still...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Re: Reccoa there's also a pretty high chance based on the nuances in the episode where she and Kai get picked back up at Jaburo that she was raped by the Federation soldiers while there, further adding to the trauma.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

NikkolasKing posted:

Stop killing everybody! I actually liked these characters!

You just got Tomino'd :smug:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

And then she died. And he mourned her for about five seconds.

Also his obsession with revenge was forgotten about for most of the anime when he became more obsessed with Newtypes.

Dude can't make up his mind. If nothing else, Zeta Char is much more dedicated and focused.

This kinda brings me back to your post where Char says he's never betrayed anyone in his life. If anything, Char betrays himself more than anyone.

Yes, he's more focused in his cause in Zeta, but you'll see how he basically tosses all that poo poo in the bin in CCA.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I gotta say I think people overreact about Moon Moon. It's one of, ONE OF, the dumbest things in Gundam. And for as bad as it is, it never comes close to the hellspawn plot devourer Katz. gently caress that guy and everything about him forever. What's that, you want a dramatic finale to Zeta? Well, let Katz gently caress up for a couple episodes and die first. Then we'll get to the good stuff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
While I'm used to people getting killed in Gundam and I rarely feel much when they get offed, Emma Sheen was a punch in the gut. A part of me wishes that she lived and had gone on to star in ZZ. If only Bright hadn't handed over command of the Argama to Beecha of all people and Emma stayed on as a kind of mentor. Also, Glemy should have been Char.

You know, while I'm psyched for Gundam: the Origin, I'd really love to see Zeta Define and perhaps ZZ and CCA remakes that don't stay as faithful as the last two and fix some of the problems. I'm not treading into fanfic territory, am I?

And to be fair, my main problem with CCA is that Quess is probably the most annoying character ever in UC Gundam and she makes the movie hard to enjoy. Katz has nothing on her.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I gotta say I think people overreact about Moon Moon. It's one of, ONE OF, the dumbest things in Gundam. And for as bad as it is, it never comes close to the hellspawn plot devourer Katz. gently caress that guy and everything about him forever. What's that, you want a dramatic finale to Zeta? Well, let Katz gently caress up for a couple episodes and die first. Then we'll get to the good stuff.

Moon Moon is actually hilarious. And so is Tigerbaum, if only for the constant jokes about how terrible Judau's attempt at cross dressing was.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

While I'm used to people getting killed in Gundam and I rarely feel much when they get offed, Emma Sheen was a punch in the gut. A part of me wishes that she lived and had gone on to star in ZZ. If only Bright hadn't handed over command of the Argama to Beecha of all people and Emma stayed on as a kind of mentor. Also, Glemy should have been Char.

Weren't there plans at one point for Emma to go on into ZZ, train Judau and the gang, and then kick the bucket? I think I've read that somewhere but can't really prove it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I thought katz death was part of the good stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I thought katz death was part of the good stuff.

Exactly. The thing about Katz's death is that it is not about Katz at all. It is about how his abrupt end effects Emma and Kamille and the others and I for one did care about them.

I just finished Zeta... Wow. Just wow. Kamille seems brain-damaged, not in a coma. Maybe that's a ZZ revelation?

I'm gonna take some time to collect my thoughts on this wild ride and post them later. There's a lot to reflect on.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yep, Scirocco straight up lobotomized Kamille.

Since you can't watch ZZ, here is a quick cliff notes on what happens:

- The Argama, heavily damaged, goes to the nearest colony (Shangrila) to recuperate. Yazan also finds his way there, however, and convinces a group of orphaned junk dealers to help him steal the Zeta Gundam.

- Judau, the leader of these kids, turns on Yazan when the latter kills a dude during the hijacking. Other stuff happens, but the important thing is that Judau comes in contact with Kamille, who at this point has become a vegetable. Newtype poo poo happens, and Kamille actually manages to stir a bit.

- At this point Bright has figured out that teenagers with attitude are the best pilots, so he offers to let the kids join the crew. Judau refuses at first, but stuff happens and he eventually agrees. IIRC, Kamille plays a pretty large role in getting him to join.

- Fa leaves Kamille in the hands of the colony's hospital and leaves with the Argama. Shortly after they leave, though, a Neo Zeon attack puts her in the position of either returning to Kamille or continuing with the Argama. She chooses to stay with Kamille.

- Wacky poo poo happens. At some point, Judau ends up on Axis and has a Newtype reaction with Haman.

- Sorrowful Cecilia happens and ZZ gets serious.

- Eventually, Judau and co end up on Earth. At some point Kamille and Fa were moved down there too, and Kamille's recovered a bit more. He helps them out in one of their battles, then suddenly freaks the gently caress out when he senses there's an incoming colony drop.

- Judau and co attempt to stop the colony drop, but fail. Hayato loses his life in the process.

- More stuff happens, and eventually Bright entrusts Beecher, a giant prick and one of the other orphans, command of the new Nahel Argama. He presumably goes off to finally spend some time with his family.

- Even more stuff happens. At this point Neo Zeon has split into two halves, one following Haman and the other a new character named Glemy. The Nahel Argama kind of ends up in the middle, and ultimately both Glemy and Haman are killed while Neo Zeon as a whole is left very weak.

- When it's all over, the Federation/AEUG fleet (the AEUG was absorbed back into the Federation at some point, which is a really important thing the show never mentions) finally shows up to mop up what's left and seize control of Axis. Judau is pissed they took so long to show, and decides he's had enough of the Earth Sphere. He proceeds to join a fleet going all the way to Jupiter, and disappears from UC until Victory era.

- By the end of ZZ, Kamille has completely recovered. He washes his hands of battle entirely and apparently becomes a doctor. I think Fa becomes a nurse too.

That should be all you need to watch CCA. For Unicorn you also need to know more about Puru and Glemy, but you can probably just look up the wiki for them.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 16, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. However I wanted to ask you all about something. Has anyone here played Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2? Wiki says it actually goes through the storyline of ZZ so I thought why not give it a shot since it's the only way I can experience the plot and characters?

Plus I really just want a Gundam video game so bad right now. It was either gonna be that or Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam. (I don't have a PS3. All I have is a PS2 at the moment)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. However I wanted to ask you all about something. has anyone here played Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2? Wiki says it actually goes through the storyline of ZZ so I thought why not give it a shot since it's the only way I can experience the plot and characters?

Plus I really just want a Gundam video game so bad right now. It was either gonna be that or Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam.

It goes through the storyline but in that insane Dynasty Warriors way where it makes no sense unless you've seen the series.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. However I wanted to ask you all about something. Has anyone here played Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2? Wiki says it actually goes through the storyline of ZZ so I thought why not give it a shot since it's the only way I can experience the plot and characters?

Plus I really just want a Gundam video game so bad right now. It was either gonna be that or Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam. )I don't have a PS3. All I have is a PS2 at the moment)

Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam is really good and since you can probably get it for about $5 now a days I would recommend it anyway. Especially if you have someone there to play with, but the solo mode is fun too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

To be honest I was mainly considering GvsZ because it says you can alter the story and poo poo by not letting certain characters die. I'm really "high on the plot" if you will and that idea intrigues me. (would not let Four die if possible)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Plus I really just want a Gundam video game so bad right now. It was either gonna be that or Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam. (I don't have a PS3. All I have is a PS2 at the moment)
The main thing to remember about ZZ Gundam is that Tomino planned the entire series to be setting up Char's big return. Sunrise fought with him over this until they gave in and let Tomino do CCA. This is why after the aforementioned Sorrowful Cecilia episode, the show shifts from wacky comedy back into the more serious drama.

Granted, Tomino didn't completely get what he wanted. The Beltorchika's Children novel is sort of the "original vision" of CCA that Tomino planned to do. CCA is more or less the "negotiated" version.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I'm also going to throw in the vote for Gundam versus Zeta, because it's legitmately a lot of fun and there's a whole lot of stuff to sink into there, including a bunch of what-if story branches and poo poo. Unless you're into Dynasty Warriors or want to give it a shot (I've only played the gundam and HnK ones), the cutscenes are on YouTube for the first two. Maybe play the second, but only watch the first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

The ZZ story mode is literally just four mission with a couple of lines of text in between and makes no sense unless you've actually seen it. If all you've got is a PS2 you might be better off with the first DW Gundam, the story mode still makes no sense, but there's a little more to it. DW 2 is 75% based around the Mission Mode rather than Story Mode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The ZZ story mode is literally just four mission with a couple of lines of text in between and makes no sense unless you've actually seen it. If all you've got is a PS2 you might be better off with the first DW Gundam, the story mode still makes no sense, but there's a little more to it. DW 2 is 75% based around the Mission Mode rather than Story Mode.

The first one was PS3 only in the US. Japan got a special edition PS2 port that had some extra stuff in it but I don't think has English voices.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 16, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, poo poo, I just assumed if the second one had an English release on PS2 that the first one did as well. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Now I've finished Zeta and had some time to think, I'd like to just address my impressions of it. To start though, I hope you'll forgive me a moment of self-indulgence.

I've been looking for an enduring anime franchise I could get into for a while now. I wanted to find a series with a large fanbase and a lot of installments across TV and comics and video games. I love fiction because it's a way for me to connect with other people. I love posting on boards and discussing our various opinions and perhaps even arguing about them too. To this end and in search of a franchise I could fall in love with, I bought Neon Genesis Evangelion a few months back. I jumped right into the deep end of the pool too, buying the special volume sets with the insert booklets off ebay for $140. I was all ready to love the poo poo out of it and start buying the Rebuild movies and the various manga and the soundtracks. Then I actually watched NGE and it....was not very good. I don't know if I'd say I hated it but I was most definitely not blown away. I have no desire to ever watch it again save for one or two episodes.

So after that flop I kinda drifted until at last I remembered my saying I was starting Gundam. I've been saying this for years by this point so I figured it was high-time I actually did it. "Gundam could be that epic franchise I was searching for" were my thoughts. And so I watched tge MSG anime, 08th MS Team and Stardust Memory. I would say I enjoyed them for the most part (except 0083) but I was again disappointed. I'd say they were okay-to-good but most definitely not great. It looked like I had put my faith in the wrong franchise again.

And theN i watched Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Hallelujah! My faith was rewarded!

I was warned it wasn't as great as a lot of people say. Would I say it was the best anime I've ever seen and it changed my life? Probably no to both but if it wasn't the best anime I've ever seen, it's still in the Top 10, maybe even Top 5. Whereas I was almost passed the point of caring by the end of every other Gundam series, and I just wanted them to finally be over with, I was sad to see Zeta finish. And not just because it's finish is sad.

Kamille had a rough start as a protagonist with his fits of anger and bitchiness but those really do subside fairly quickly. What's more, any bout of depression or angst he goes through doesn't out-stay its welcome. I think what I'd say about Kamille is that everything is in the right proportion; he isn't a jackass too much, he isn't moping too much, and often times when he is in one of his moods, he has every friggin' right to be. See: Emma slapping him and calling him over-emotional, to which he snarkily replies "this from someone who keeps slapping me."

The supporting cast of Zeta is so much better than any other Gundm series I have yet to see that it's kinda sad. Backing up Kamille are fantastic characters like Emma. She's probably the best female I've seen in a Gundam series. Like Kamille, everything is in the proper portion with her attitudes and moods. She has to be one of the most reasonable and level-headed and believable characters in the show. And while on the topic of Emma, Zeta had a lot of more minor supporting characters like Captain Henken who were really likable. His death was probably the most painful for me in the finale.

And of course I can't forget Char and Amuro. I've never seen characters rebound so fast. I disliked their MSG characterization quite a bit and yet they were both so much stronger in Zeta. I loved having both of them as mentors to Kamille but they were very good on their own as well. Amuro's PTSD was very believable and when he finally does get "back into the saddle" it's a raal hell yeah moment. Char meanwhile is so far removed from his evil shithead MSG personality that I can barely tell they are the same character. I'll get to that later on though.

And on the opposite side of things, someone mentioned that one of Zeta's strengths was its large cast of villains. This is absolute truth. They run the gambit from evil masterminds to just plain psychos to traumatized victims. I think every show like this should have a broad selection of antagonists to choose from. That way you can have the villain you love to hate, the villain you can feel sorry for, etc.. The villain I loved to hate was Paptimus Scirocco. Yazan was great for how batshit nuts he was but I loved the fact Scirocco oozed evil even when he did nothing for most of the show. I also liked the only time we see him break his perpetually cool demeanor was when Sarah died. Adds a nice bit of "maybe there's more to him" but I'll get to that later as well. On the sympathetic villain side of things, I loved Four. She and the other Cyber Newtypes took what they were trying to do with Lalah (from a storytelling perspective I mean) and actually executed it well this time around. Giving them a backstory of a sorts was probably the key to this, as well as letting them interact with the heroes more.

The English dub was...hm, I'd say good but maybe just stopping short of great. Kamille's VA's performance seems to be a very subjective thing and it kinda reminds me of Spike Spencer as Shinji Ikari. A lot of people really hated him and attribute the Western audiences general dislike for Shinji to his acting making Shinji sound too whiny. Personally I think Jonathan Lachlan-Stewart as Kamille was the star of the dub and a big reason I likd the character. Kamille had a large range of emotions and moods so he had to be on the ball and I think he was. The recast for Amuro was a helluva lot better than the original but I'm not sure if that's Brad Swaile's fault. I know a lot of the voice-cast of the MSG anime and they are good but almost no one seemed capable of turning in a good performance there. Other standouts include Jonathan Love as Scirocco and Lisa Christie as Emma. And while I don't consider it an amazing dub, it's still the best Gundam one I've heard. I thought maybe MS Team was better but you can't compare the two. This is one reason why I don't agree when people say Cowboy Bebop was the greatest dub EVAH. It was relatively short and had so few characters that you can't compare its dub to a long-running series with much larger casts. Same is true for Zeta to MS Team.

My thoughts on the final episode itself... Well Newtype stuff had becoming increasingly more blatant comic book superpowers instead of the little precog or increased empathy of before. Do I have a problem with Kamille gathering the consciousnesses of those who have died around him as a source of power to defeat Scirocco? Uh...not really, even though it took the power creep to a whole new level. Emma dying like that did irk me however. I do not think it was necessary. The abrupt ending with Kamille having his mind destroyed by Scirocco was very disconcerting too. I knew it was coming but leaving everything so open? Annoying.

Now...to criticism. Being a true fan of something means you acknowledge its weaknesses as well as its strengths.

I mentioned addressing Char and Scirocco later and now is the time. I've seen many people complain that his character - and more importantly how everyone else reacts to his character - is very bad writing. Now...I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does everyone on the AEUG looking at him as some sort of idol, especially those who fought against him back in the One Year War, make sense? I'm really not sure. I'm gonna guess the extent of his douchebaggery isn't well-known. As the viewers we know it all too well but my impression was that the characters only knew the romanticized account of a poor kid who had his father murdered and then spent his life trying to fight against the evil monsters who had done it. Together with this semi-fantastical account of his life, his very real charisma and intellect make him someone I can believe people would gather behind.

Now. Scirocco. He stayed in the background TOO long for my taste. Even if he didn't make his move for power any earlier, he should have been featured more prominently. And speaking of making his move...it's really not clear what he was after. He mentions in one of his first appearances that he believes a woman will rule the inevitable empire they create. He also later extols the greatness of having a female leader. All this while he draws in feeble, broken women to serve as his puppets. I'm really not sure what he was after.

Also you might have noticed I left off Jerid when assessing the bad guys. Jerid was an rear end in a top hat but I'm not sure how much we were supposed to like or dislike him. He had very likable female companions like Lila and that Newtype girl and when they die he is shown to be distraught. So he's human. But then he goes around gassing colonies and attacking cities full of innocent people without blinking an eye. I just don't get him.

My final criticism is actually very minor to me but I can see why it would perhaps prevent others from liking Zeta or taking it seriously. That problem is that the philosophy or themes or whatever you want to call it underlying the conflict don't mke a lot of sense. Under all the very legitimate and physical reasons for battling there is a message of how being in space and being on Earth have resulted in two irreconcilable groups of humanity. I'm reminded of one part of 0083 that stood out to me because of how absurd it was. Kou has these books to learn about picking up Nina and one of them had a title like "Learning About Spacenoid Women." My immediate thought then was "....how the hell is she any different from other women?" And so the same applies to the two warring groups in Zeta. I just don't really buy into being in space has somehow changed people that much that they feel they are a whole different group from those who live on a planet.

And so those are my thoughts as best as I can sum them up at the moment. Knowing me, a lot of other stuff will come back after I post this and I'll be like "I should have said this, this and this!" But for now, I will conclude with saying I loved Zeta Gundam and if any future Gundam series I watch even comes close to it, I will be more than satisfied.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 16, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

My final criticism is actually very minor to me but I can see why it would perhaps prevent others from liking Zeta or taking it seriously. That problem is that the philosophy or themes or whatever you want to call it underlying the conflict don't mke a lot of sense. Under all the very legitimate and physical reasons for battling there is a message of how being in space and being on Earth have resulted in two irreconcilable groups of humanity. I'm reminded of one part of 0083 that stood out to me because of how absurd it was. Kou has these books to learn about picking up Nina and one of them had a title like "Learning About Spacenoid Women." My immediate thought then was "....how the hell is she any different from other women?" And so the same applies to the two warring groups in Zeta. I just don't really buy into being in space has somehow changed people that much that they feel they are a whole different group from those who live on a planet.

Its regionalism, pure and simple. I live in Canada and we have people in Alberta, a western province who absolutely hate people who live in ontario, an eastern province to the point that they join armed militias and that is within the same country. When extended over the course of nearly a century and hundreds of thousands of miles its not hard to believe that there are fundamental differences between those who grow up and live in space and those who were born and raised on earth.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Later works retcon in a device called the Biosensor to explain the last two episodes of Zeta. Which honestly kind of ruins the whole thing, since the entire point of the final clash was that Scirocco was defeated by something he legitimately could not comprehend since he didn't understand the value of human lives, but I guess it's better to go midi-chlorians than to just randomly have the Zeta channel the dead.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I always just refused to believe the Zeta did poo poo and Kamille was mindfucking the mindfucker.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Srice posted:

Moon Moon is actually hilarious. And so is Tigerbaum, if only for the constant jokes about how terrible Judau's attempt at cross dressing was.

I don't know where Moon Moon gets its 'comedy' pedigree from. Moon Moon largely played its 'outsiders who have abandoned technology' plots straight. Sure the Argama and Endra crews arrive with their wacky hijinx, but that stuff has been going in since the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Caros posted:

Its regionalism, pure and simple. I live in Canada and we have people in Alberta, a western province who absolutely hate people who live in ontario, an eastern province to the point that they join armed militias and that is within the same country. When extended over the course of nearly a century and hundreds of thousands of miles its not hard to believe that there are fundamental differences between those who grow up and live in space and those who were born and raised on earth.

Or a simpler explanation, the some of the Colonies are the 13 colonies, the Federation is the British Empire and space is the ocean.

• Locked thread