Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm surprised Awful S II MAXX isn't on that already. Normally when there's a turd version or the dev vanishes they throw up a quick fixed one until the main one improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looks good. Still can't read cut off thread titles :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is the iPad interface improved at all? In still on the old version there. I assume there's no more swipe but does >< stay in the same place now?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

LmaoTheKid posted:

Is the iPad interface improved at all? In still on the old version there. I assume there's no more swipe but does >< stay in the same place now?

No, >< slides around as you change views.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
As it should (although the icon is 100% more sensible now). I quiver in anticipation of the return of the sliding gesture on iPad.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Also yospos style sheet appears to be disabled

I don't get how features can be removed with each release

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Because it's not and you're being dramatic? I think there's a scenario where it fails to load, but working fine here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

Because it's not and you're being dramatic? I think there's a scenario where it fails to load, but working fine here.

Hey man he paid good money for this app, he deserves perfection.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah free is totally an excuse for broken.

It does load faster though so good job on that. Seems much more stable too. But yospos doesn't work in dark mode

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there's no excuse for sounding like an entitled brat.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Whoa it's not called something sensitive, bro

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean you can keep on saying it, but atleast on a 5S YOSPOS does in fact work.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

In dark mode, when refreshing the bookmarks list, it's hard to see the spinning icon indicating the list is loading. Perhaps it could be lightened.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blackula69 posted:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Blackula69 posted:

Awful.app is a delicate flower.

Also YOSPOS and Dark Mode are my primary use case and it "works on my device". Are you doing anything specific that might be weird?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Dude works for free. If you don't like it use the other app (safari). He doesn't owe you or anyone poo poo. He could be spending this time going outside and meeting women.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ultramiraculous posted:

Back when Awful 2.0 ruined Christmas, there was a YOSPOSter saying he was planning to throw up a build of 1.11.9 on the app store. No idea what happened to him, though.

I reached out to them offering to help navigate the code or prep for release but never heard back.

edit: Honestly people, quit bitching about people bitching about Awful. Yes, it's a volunteer project sold for zero dollars. Yes, some people report bugs and snivel. Let it go.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 15, 2014

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Saw the update, got all excited for the return of ipad swiping. Oh well, at least the button looks a lot better now.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Blackula69 posted:

Yeah free is totally an excuse for broken.

It does load faster though so good job on that. Seems much more stable too. But yospos doesn't work in dark mode

You could switch to Android, Awful.apk certainly was never broꝁ🅴🅝

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I haven't snivelled at all, get over yourselves. The app broke itself when it updated so I had to redownload. now yospos doesn't work in dark mode. it's a goddamn bug report

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Bug #0000234: Free isn't an excuse for broken.

Description: Yospos style sheet appears to be disabled. I don't get how features can be removed with every release.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blackula69 posted:

I haven't snivelled at all, get over yourselves. The app broke itself when it updated so I had to redownload. now yospos doesn't work in dark mode. it's a goddamn bug report

dude that entire second sentence was a completely unnecessary snipe at the developers because you didn't like having to come in and report a bug. report the issue and move on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have the latest version on 4S but the App Store keeps prompting me to download 2.0.2

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That's a bug report for Apple.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

I have the latest version on 4S but the App Store keeps prompting me to download 2.0.2

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything I can do on my end. When you say "prompting" do you mean in the App Store's Updates tab? Or is it more in your face?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I don't see this, but is there a way to report a post in the iOS app?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Awful.app (iOS) is fantastic. Are there any plans to implement the smiley cheat sheet or post previewing?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I don't see this, but is there a way to report a post in the iOS app?

Nope. On the list though.

terre packet posted:

Awful.app (iOS) is fantastic. Are there any plans to implement the smiley cheat sheet or post previewing?

Yes and yes, both on the list!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

pokeyman posted:

Nope. On the list though.

Yes and yes, both on the list!

Thanks! Keep up the good work by the way. You are doing so well my wife hates you.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I don't know what's worse, the over-entitled complainers, or the idiots that jump to the defence of the devs with the usual "it's free so stfu" bullshit.

edit: on the actual topic, I've not noticed any bugs yet after a day or so. Although if I do find one, I'm sure it'll already have been posted here 27 times

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Haggis Heed posted:

edit: on the actual topic, I've not noticed any bugs yet after a day or so. Although if I do find one, I'm sure it'll already have been posted here 27 times

By all means re-report bugs. Crashes I get reports for, so I can see how widespread those problems are (and even so, by all means post about it, might help fix it). But I really have no sense of how annoying misfeatures or non-crashing bugs are.

It's easy for me to ignore the lone voice asking for a fix. Ten people, now it's a problem.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

It is possible, and on the todo list. Expect to see it in an undetermined future release!

ultramiraculous posted:

Spoiler: It's the next release. Just added it.

That's great. Thanks!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don't know if this is just due to the latest version, but any thread with a lot of embedded youtube videos is essentially a no-go for me. It might load that page the first time if I'm lucky, but then after watching a video or two, it'll crash. Then when I try to load the page again, it'll either crash or just leave big blank spots where the videos should be.

I'm on a 64gb iPad Air with latest firmware, so if it's a RAM problem, it seems like no iOS device would be able to load the threads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I don't know if this is just due to the latest version, but any thread with a lot of embedded youtube videos is essentially a no-go for me. It might load that page the first time if I'm lucky, but then after watching a video or two, it'll crash. Then when I try to load the page again, it'll either crash or just leave big blank spots where the videos should be.

I'm on a 64gb iPad Air with latest firmware, so if it's a RAM problem, it seems like no iOS device would be able to load the threads.

Do you watch the video in full screen? Does it seem to crash right after you tap the "Done" button on a video? Does it usually work for a couple minutes, but blows up after five or so?

Can you link me an example thread page that often crashes for you?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pokeyman posted:

Do you watch the video in full screen? Does it seem to crash right after you tap the "Done" button on a video? Does it usually work for a couple minutes, but blows up after five or so?

Can you link me an example thread page that often crashes for you?
Yeah, I usually watch the videos fullscreen, but if I recall correctly, the crash usually happens when I hit the play button on the embedded video.

I just tried loading up the first page of http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592566 and all the videos aren't showing up in the posts, just blank space.

There's another thing that might be involved. One time I had switched to desktop view when following an in-app youtube link in the the awful browser. Now, even if I switch back to mobile view, every time I follow a youtube link in the awful browser it defaults to the desktop view.

I should probably just delete the app and reinstall, maybe it's some built up junk in the data.

EDIT: deleted and reinstalled and the videos show up. Heh, just a weird bug, I guess.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2014

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If you open a thread and have it load only the last post of a page (because that's the next unread post) it becomes impossible to get to the next page by pulling up. Since you can still get to the next one with the arrows at the bottom it isn't a critical bug, just irritating.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I seem to have some problems with the new update. The app crashes everytime i try to enter any subforums. I tried to delete and reinstall(twice actually) but still it crashes. It seems that this thread ia the only one i can enter(through settings)

Edit: okay now it doesnt load the forums at all. As soon as i start the app, i get few seconda to enter the settings and then it crashes... Im running iphone 4

Edit 2: i can get it to work if i quickly go to favorites then to forums

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 16, 2014

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I miss the swipe-to-delete-bookmark feature. I hope that's on the list to eventually make it back in. (I know I can long press to get a menu option to delete, but my iOS instincts are to swipe first.)

Liking the changes; the hamburger button on the iPad is better than the <> >< for sure.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PFlats posted:

I miss the swipe-to-delete-bookmark feature. I hope that's on the list to eventually make it back in. (I know I can long press to get a menu option to delete, but my iOS instincts are to swipe first.)

I'd rather have it swipe back into the thread you've just swiped out of, personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

swipe left to right to go back, swipe right to left to reveal delete/context is how it usually works.

• Locked thread