Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Rkelly posted:

I loved the new hunter x hunter and really want more. I am 50 episodes into yu yu hakusho and really want something with a large number of episodes to burn thru when i have insomnia. Any ideas?
Dragon Ball would probably be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guyver posted:

Dragon Ball would probably be right up your alley.

And then kai. I hated DBZ as a young man but Kai really was fun.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

One Piece is your best bet if you haven't seen it. Be warned that the pacing eventually goes completely to poo poo when they decide they don't want to do traditional filler any more and just make it 1 episode = 1 manga chapter to avoid catching up.

I have to agree with this. It took me most of last year but I went in to One Piece without knowing anything about it and skipped every filler episode apart from one or two decent arcs, it really is an amazing show. The characters, music and voice acting are top notch. Also bearing in mind it is now a 600+ episode series I would advise against the 3 episode test and suggest something closer to a 30 episode test if you enjoy the first few episodes at all. Arlong Park is the first real story arc.

The pacing does get pretty bad when you get further in but overall its still probably my favourite anime series.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I have never seen dragon ball at all. I grabbed the first volume of the manga. Baby Buddha cock jumpsuit Jesus. I can get into this. I can't believe the holy penis in volume 1.

I guess I shall try HSDK and try one piece? I loved the old ippo. How is toriko? Any series like D grayman or blast of tempest are totally radical too.

Edit. Android autocorrect changes goku to holy every time lol.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 11, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece manga or anime? I've said my piece on the anime before(early on it's pretty good, but takes a nosedive about halfway through) but the manga's one of the most amazingly consistently fantastic series I've ever read, considering the length. There's like two arcs that are even remotely debatable as being less than great, and even those tend to have plenty of folks who enjoyed them. The pacing in the manga's also way better and pretty much never stops to catch its breath except when arcs have finished(and then everyone PARTIES!).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Captain Invictus posted:

One Piece manga or anime? I've said my piece on the anime before(early on it's pretty good, but takes a nosedive about halfway through) but the manga's one of the most amazingly consistently fantastic series I've ever read, considering the length. There's like two arcs that are even remotely debatable as being less than great, and even those tend to have plenty of folks who enjoyed them. The pacing in the manga's also way better and pretty much never stops to catch its breath except when arcs have finished(and then everyone PARTIES!).

I personally think that the colors in the One Piece anime are garish and ugly and that Oda's characters look better in black and white.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Watuhboy posted:

I'm looking for something optimistic and uplifting, in the same vein as non non biyori and hidamari sketch (which I'm just finishing up)

Mind Game is the most aggressively uplifting celebration of life ever created and it is literally my job description to promote it on these forums at all times for ever.

Sakurazuka posted:

...alternate universe rubbish like the Eureka Seven or Escaflowne movies.

A person who would lump these two movies together surely issued race identification cards to South Africans in a past life.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
and the manga wins. Any other must read or watch super good shounen poo poo?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want shounen, I can't think of anything MORE shounen than Zatch Bell. I really enjoyed it, it doesn't do anything extraordinary, but it sticks to the letter of shounen and never wavers, and the designs of the characters and the humor is usually pretty fantastic. It was licensed at one point but unfortunately the series stopped being localized like a third of the way through, I believe. I still think it's worth reading though, it's lighthearted and fun and can be really drat funny sometimes.

Dude also loves his full page and two-page attack spreads.

This is the one thing from the anime I'd say is required watching, though. Norio Wakamoto voices Victoreem, one of the bad guys in one of the arcs(who was so popular thanks to this that he gets a shoutout in the end of the series), and sings a song about delicious melon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6w8aMP1niI

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I haven't actually seen it posted anywhere else here, but I thought I'd chime in to say that recently, both seasons of the show Jormungand has gotten an English dub. I'm just getting into the second season and so far I think it's ok.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think of Jormungand as Black Lagoon's brooding baby brother.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ViggyNash posted:

I think of Jormungand as Black Lagoon's brooding baby brother.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
It's more like Black Lagoon with less interesting characters, but more plot.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Redcrimson posted:

It's more like Black Lagoon with less interesting characters, but more plot.

I guess but also a pretty lackluster end. Not the content so much or the fact that they choose to end it THERE specifically.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 13, 2014

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
God loving black lagoon. The using your wits to overcome reminds me of yuyu and hxh

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It's not as good and is more brooding than insane/silly, but it's similar in a lot of ways, especially because it's shootouts/action scenes are really drat good.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
My girlfriend is interested in watching some anime with me. I am trying out Shiki at the moment. She likes tv and movies like CW stuff, Law and Order detective procedural type stuff, true blood, loves game of thrones, she always loved disney and pixar stuff tons.

However, she is questionable about subtitled stuff, (is a librarian/healthcare workeer who doesn't feel like reading when she is home except for special stuff she really loves. She tends to watch not watch foreign films to relax at home. She likes artsy stuff but feels like watching relaxing stuff mostly. Popcorn type stuff.

Movie wise she is into thrillers, law and crime type movies, and horror.

What anime should I pick out after shiki?

I am having trouble with subtitles and bad dubs. I need to get this girl into subtitles. God I hate lovely dub emotions not matching poo poo.

What do I do guys help?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eden of the East has a pretty good dub and is a great conspiracy-thriller-meets-romance show. Baccano! is a good popcorn-munching action show with an amazing dub, but, well, breakneck action.

Princess Tutu is a really amazing dub, too, and a truly excellent show, though it gets pretty heavy, especially for being a show about ballet and a tiny duck that becomes a slightly less tiny dancer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rkelly posted:

Psycho-Pass would the obvious answer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Watch Monster. It has a great dub too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rkelly posted:

My girlfriend is interested in watching some anime with me. I am trying out Shiki at the moment. She likes tv and movies like CW stuff, Law and Order detective procedural type stuff, true blood, loves game of thrones, she always loved disney and pixar stuff tons.

However, she is questionable about subtitled stuff, (is a librarian/healthcare workeer who doesn't feel like reading when she is home except for special stuff she really loves. She tends to watch not watch foreign films to relax at home. She likes artsy stuff but feels like watching relaxing stuff mostly. Popcorn type stuff.

I am having trouble with subtitles and bad dubs. I need to get this girl into subtitles. God I hate lovely dub emotions not matching poo poo.

What do I do guys help?

I'm in awe that Ghost in the Shell wasn't the first thing suggested. One of the best dubs out there. Every title in the franchise has plenty of amazing mystery/thriller stories, and lots of popcorn-worthy action.

VV I'm watching that now actually. It's a really bizarre re-imagining. It's unfortunate that the CG in the show is atrocious and distracting, because I love everything else.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 15, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'll trumpet Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo again, great dub, nice drama, and strange space future.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Watch Monster. It has a great dub too.

It's this. This is always the answer.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rkelly posted:

What do I do guys help?

I think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex would be right up her alley.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Black Stones posted:

I think Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex would be right up her alley.

What order are you supposed to watch that in, and are the movies an Alternate Universe or..? I want to get into it, but I have no clue where to even start

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Stand Alone Complex, Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig (the second season), and Solid State Society is a movie sequel to the tv show. The other movies are compilations. The new OVA, and the original two movies, Ghost in the Shell and Innocence, are in different continuities.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I don't know if there is a commonly agreed best entry to watch, but you can't go wrong with the first movie, then SAC. I strongly recommend you watch SAC before Innocence (the second movie) though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rkelly posted:

What do I do guys help?

Nth-ing Ghost In The Shell: SAC, it's like it was made for her. My recommendation on order is to start with the TV series continuity first. The movies are a bit more cerebral (or rather, they aren't leavened with as much humor as the TV series), so it might help to become invested in the world the TV series presents first. The original movie is absolutely not an introduction to the TV series so don't worry about being lost by not watching the original movie first. I also have no idea if the dub for either movie is any good, but the dub for the TV series is excellent.

After you're done with that (because really, it's perfect for you), Durarara!! might work. It's got mystery, conspiracy, gangs, and a dullahan on a motorcycle (she's part of the mystery). The characters are fun and interesting and the show never takes itself too seriously. It's also a pretty nice production. Maybe stay away from this one if you need everything wrapped up in a neat bow by the end, but it's not a bullshit cliffhanger.

I haven't seen the dub myself but I'm reading good things from random assholes on the internet, and it appears to have very nearly every A-list English anime voice actor you've ever heard, so it's probably safe.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
^^ You might have meant Baccano!. Now that's a quality dub. Also all the characters are American so the dub makes more sense in context.

unpronounceable posted:

I don't know if there is a commonly agreed best entry to watch, but you can't go wrong with the first movie, then SAC. I strongly recommend you watch SAC before Innocence (the second movie) though.

Why SAC before Innocence? It would make more sense to finish one continuity before moving on.

As for the first entry choice, I'd say watch the original movie first since it's the conceptual mother of the franchise.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 16, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Durarara!! dub felt REALLY tacked-on at a few spots, but it's pretty good on the whole. Darker than Black might also fill your quota in that, while nowhere near as great as Ghost in the Shell, it has a few themes and a pretty great dub. A former girlfriend used to say back when it first came out that it was the closest she's gotten to watching a decent X-Men cartoon without getting bored.

Also seconding Psycho-Pass. Although a little bit of the character dialogue / shout-outs feel unintentionally silly, overall it's a pretty good show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

Why SAC before Innocence? It would make more sense to finish one continuity before moving on.

Watching anything rather than Innocence is usually a good move.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I say it's worth watching once for the visuals and direction. The story was poo poo, but I still enjoyed it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ViggyNash posted:

^^ You might have meant Baccano!. Now that's a quality dub. Also all the characters are American so the dub makes more sense in context.

No I meant Durarara. Again, I haven't seen the dub but there are a lot of good English actors there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Che Delilas posted:

No I meant Durarara. Again, I haven't seen the dub but there are a lot of good English actors there.

The only bad thing that can be said about the english dub of Durarara has to do with a cameo appearance from another series made by two minor characters in one episode.

Such a shame they couldn't/didn't use the Baccano VA's for Isaac and Miria :sigh:.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Thanks again guys baccano is about perfection.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

As for the first entry choice, I'd say watch the original movie first since it's the conceptual mother of the franchise.

Innocence is extremely uninteresting if you've only seen the first movie, because the only character you feel like you know is the major, who by and large isn't there.

After sac, all the side section 9 characters are people you know, not just random people who pop in for scenes, which makes it feel more like a movie and less like a philosophy circle jerk.

I hated innocence after only having seen the first movie and quite enjoyed it after watching sac so there some anecdotal evidence at least

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 17, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Innocence is extremely uninteresting if you've only seen the first movie, because the only character you feel like you know is the major, who by and large isn't there.

After sac, all the side section 9 characters are people you know, not just random people who pop in for scenes, which makes it feel more like a movie and less like a philosophy circle jerk.

I hated innocence after only having seen the first movie and quite enjoyed it after watching sac so there some anecdotal evidence at least

You're probably right. I ended up watching Innocence after sac also, so maybe that's why I liked it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

You're probably right. I ended up watching Innocence after sac also, so maybe that's why I liked it.

It honestly felt good to see them in innocence after watching SAC, whereas "these random fuckers that the big robot guy and the rookie are talking to like we should know them" was actually off putting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any okay (or good!) non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I may have missed?

Non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I have not missed (some stuff may be a bit newer)
-Cyber City Oedo 808
-Bubblegum Crisis (both)
-Police AD
-Dominion Tank Police (both, but I didn't like the first OVA at all)
-Armitage III
-Angel Cop (oh boy)
-Serial Experiments Lain (I'd prefer something more conventional atm)
-Genocyber (I "watched" it)
-GiTS movie (duh)

Dirty Pair?

I wouldn't mind a good character driven sci-fi show, either. Adults a plus! (I've watched probably the most obvious ones:Bebop, Gits:SAC, Evangelion) Maybe I'll try Eureka 7, but the first episode and surfer mecha kids premise was off puting when I tried watching it a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Any okay (or good!) non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I may have missed?

Non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I have not missed (some stuff may be a bit newer)
-Cyber City Oedo 808
-Bubblegum Crisis (both)
-Police AD
-Dominion Tank Police (both, but I didn't like the first OVA at all)
-Armitage III
-Angel Cop (oh boy)
-Serial Experiments Lain (I'd prefer something more conventional atm)
-Genocyber (I "watched" it)
-GiTS movie (duh)

Dirty Pair?

I wouldn't mind a good character driven sci-fi show, either. Adults a plus! (I've watched probably the most obvious ones:Bebop, Gits:SAC, Evangelion) Maybe I'll try Eureka 7, but the first episode and surfer mecha kids premise was off puting when I tried watching it a few years back.

Patlabor's probably worth looking into.

edit: whoops, missed the non-mecha :doh:.

• Locked thread