Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Can anyone attending WGU tell me if they will be offering Server 2012 instead of Server 2008 with their BS:IT Network Admin program any time soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god, this bit in the Odom ICND2 book about LSAs is putting me to sleep.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Oh my god, this Odom book is putting me to sleep.
FTFY.

OSPF is and will probably always be my weak spot. I hate having to use rote memorization as a study technique, but when it comes to LSAs/area types it seems that's about all you can do.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I've stop/started on CCNP ROUTE so many times now. I did pick up another E-book and that one is a little better than Odom, I guess. His writing is so unbelievably dry that it cannot keep my attention.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, I've gotten conflicting information about this from different sources/textbooks, so, uh, for the purposes of the CCNA test, are routers entirely in OSPF Area 0 classified as internal routers? (NETACAD says yes, the Odom book says no)

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Fag Boy Jim posted:

By the way, I've gotten conflicting information about this from different sources/textbooks, so, uh, for the purposes of the CCNA test, are routers entirely in OSPF Area 0 classified as internal routers? (NETACAD says yes, the Odom book says no)

Area 0 for backbone transport and site links said one of my coworkers. She also said OSPF is more of a CCNP topic; unless its changed in the last few years.

She said get to know RIP, EIGRP, FRAME RELAY/ATM, and of course STP for CCNA.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

psyopmonkey posted:

Area 0 for backbone transport and site links said one of my coworkers. She also said OSPF is more of a CCNP topic; unless its changed in the last few years.

She said get to know RIP, EIGRP, FRAME RELAY/ATM, and of course STP for CCNA.

It's changed. The new CCNA pulls in some OSPF from the CCNP curriculum. RIP is gone, but it's still a good thing to know for some historical perspective on distance vector routing.

From the CCNA 200-120 Exam Topics page:

quote:

4.7 Configure and verify OSPF
4.7.a Benefit of single area
4.7.b Configure OSPv2
4.7.c Configure OSPv3
4.7.d Router ID
4.7.e Passive Interface
4.7.f Discuss multi-area OSPF
4.7.g Understand LSA types and purpose

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Go do the GNS3vault OSPF troubleshooting lab if you're having issues learning OSPF. It'll fix them.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

psydude posted:

Go do the GNS3vault OSPF troubleshooting lab if you're having issues learning OSPF. It'll fix them.

The answer is always ip ospf network point-to-p. Stupid /32 loopback interface type ruining MPLS.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I'm quite new to actually working in IT, and I'm currently studying for the MCSA 70-410 exam. I feel like I've got to grip with a lot of the concepts, but since it's my first MS exam*... I'm wondering if I should buy a practice test, or just go in and see what happens, knowing that I've got a second shot if I need it. :ohdear: The concepts discussed in the 70-410 seem relatively straightforward (especially when I look at the TechNet wiki for the 70-411), but on the other hand, I don't know how evil the exam is. It just seems like a lot of money to be spending as well as the exam voucher itself.

*Well, my first cert exam period. I'm more than ready to take the A+, but the conditions of my apprenticeship mean that I can't take it until May. :doh:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Venusy posted:

I'm wondering if I should buy a practice test, or just go in and see what happens, knowing that I've got a second shot if I need it.

Use the practice tests that come with the books, I have a hard time recommending for any exam using bought right out practice exams because the sheer amount of brain dumps.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I was going to use the Transcender tests previously recommended in the thread, the book I have is missing the answer key to the practice questions in there.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
*ANGERWORDS*, is there anyway to legally download Server2012 R2 evaluation version from Microsoft without dealing with 5,000 download issues? It's so aggravating to try to do things the legal way and get paid for it with total bullshit tech problems.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 18, 2014

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Fucks sake, is there anyway to legally download Server2012 R2 evaluation version from Microsoft without dealing with 5,000 download issues? It's so aggravating to try to do things the legal way and get paid for with total bullshit tech problems.

Does this help?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

dox posted:

Does this help?

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to download this with different browsers, with and without Akamai, and both R2 and not R2.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Venusy posted:

I was going to use the Transcender tests previously recommended in the thread, the book I have is missing the answer key to the practice questions in there.

Kaplan makes testing software as well. I used the transender for 70-642 and 70-699, but i'm looking to switch it up on this.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to download this with different browsers, with and without Akamai, and both R2 and not R2.

I agree that it is a terrible download manager but somehow I haven't had any issues downloading those trials. Only other thing I can say is try another machine/VM-- I'm not sure where else to legitimately get the ISO besides DreamSpark/MSDN.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
After putting it off for so many months, I decided to buckle down and schedule both my A+ exams for a month away. I know they're supposed to be easy exams but boy knowing there's still about $350 on the line has me all nervous. :ohdear: Month should be plenty of time though, right? Current study material is the Michael Meyers book. Also, any decent practice test or are the questions in the book(or off Professor Messer's site) good enough?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I used Professor Messer (usually just the random question bit and then googling whatever I got wrong until it stuck) and the Sybex book, and I'm pretty sure the rebates that came with the Sybex made it essentially free, and it comes with a neat little application that has flash cards and the chapter tests on it.

A month should(?) be fine, but it depends on how you learn. I thought the A+ was more difficult than the CCNA, for example, just because of how incredibly broad and shallow all the topics are. You'll be expected to know a little bit about everything, including stuff that isn't even all that relevant anymore. Expect to see a bunch of questions on the test asking you the maximum cable length of a specific version of a specific type of cable, and I believe that includes just about every type of cable you can think of (they'll all be listed on the exam objectives though).

Once you get past the bullshit rote memorization trivia, the troubleshooting and 'simulation' portions of the exam aren't that difficult, and there were (in my experience, anyway) enough questions on the exam so that forgetting that SATA 2.0 is 300 gbit/s or whatever only lost me 2-3 points.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I'm about ready to tear my hair out. Why you may ask? Glad you did. You see, the room that contained my lab had water seep through the floor, into the padding, into the carpet, because of the mountain of snow that we have gotten in MI over the past 2 months. It didn't affect my lab, thank the good lord, but I had to move it out so the apartment management/maintenance workers can pull up the carpet, replace the padding and/or carpet entirely. Which means I had to move everything out of the room. Which means that my Cisco lab is sitting in pieces, all disconnected and crying at me whenever I walk by it. It'll be a while before they get in there to fix everything, and I can't cease my CCNP route studies.

So, in the meantime, I bit the bullet and spent the last 2 days configuring GNS3 (which I was meaning to do anyhow) to set up virtually the same configuration that I have physically. But, one of the serial links goes up/up, then up/down. I can't figure it out. I'm using the same IOS that I've used on one of the routers. I've set Idle PC so that when I launch all 6 routers, it barely eats my Core i7, and my RAM (24 GB), even with 4 VM's running, never goes past 60%. I can't seem to figure it out. Is there some type of "uh oh, you hit your Serial interface/router limit" in GNS3, or some tricks/tips that I can use if someone ran across this and figured it out?

I would post configurations, but to keep this post short and sweet, I'll just type them out:

Router 1:
interface ser 0/0
ip address 10.5.5.1 255.255.255.252
clock rate 512000
no shut

Router 2:
interface ser 0/2
ip address 10.5.5.2 255.255.255.252
clock rate 512000
no shut

It may also help to note that I cannot even ping any of these IP addresses when the interface comes up/up on the local router, but I do see a connected route in the routing table. After a while, it goes up/down.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Only one end supplies clock. I had the same issue in GNS3 and in real world applications.

"No clock" on your distant end int should help.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psyopmonkey posted:

Only one end supplies clock. I had the same issue in GNS3 and in real world applications.

"No clock" on your distant end int should help.

Tried that as well. it defaults putting "clock rate 200000" in there, no matter if I remove it. I even tried a different router. It has to seriously be some type of limit: 6 routers, 12 serial interfaces. Figured it would be as simple as the rest of them, as I have configured this link exactly the same with the other ones. A bunch of reading on the GNS 3 forums, and random posts, it seems that the clock rate, or the fact that both ends are configured as DCE don't apply, the link should work, and I'm left wondering why it isn't. Could there be something I'm missing in the options?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd ask in their support forum. They're pretty helpful there.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Just got my Stanley email about the vSphere course. I'm planning to enroll, can someone give me a brief idea of what the course entails, how it works, class times etc etc??

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo
I'm about to get off my lazy rear end and do the MCSA 2008 route, with the intention to do the upgrade to 2012 sometime after that. I work with 2008 R2 as a network admin day to day, so that seems like the better route to go.

I'm planning on taking a test every three months to get it finished by the end of the year. Outside of the MS Press guides and building/labbing the book's exercises, does anyone have any particular advice they can share from their experiences that'll help?

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Crunchtime posted:

Just got my Stanley email about the vSphere course. I'm planning to enroll, can someone give me a brief idea of what the course entails, how it works, class times etc etc??

It's work at your own pace. There's three or so super easy quizzes that they allow you to take multiple times. There's a bunch of labs you have to work through in order to get credit for completing the class. You follow along with the PDFs and they're almost impossible to screw up. There are some video lectures but they're absolutely horrible. Don't buy the materials for the class because those books are completely useless.

You won't come remotely close to passing the VCP if you just rely on this class, but it's a super easy way to get that VMWare class checkbox. All of the labs probably took under 2 hours total to complete.

edit: the only thing is they don't open up all the quizes/lectures at once so you have to go back and do them every couple of weeks. All the labs can be done in the beginning though.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
FWIW, I didn't do any labs past the first 4-5 and still passed.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

I'd ask in their support forum. They're pretty helpful there.

I decided to try one more thing, and it worked. From what I read around the forums, GNS3 sometimes doesn't properly emulate the HW of the virtual NM's in some of the routers. Perhaps my IOS that I pulled from a 2691 was a bit weird (which makes this even more odd, because the same IOS that supported the NM-4T HW-wise doesn't play nice with the virtual-ness of GNS3, perhaps), so I decided to try just using the 3x T1 WIC's that come standard, and that works. I'll just keep that in mind. Thanks for your help again, psydude! You helped me out with it about 3 1/2 years ago, and did again as well.

I don't have much more legally-acquired IOS's that will work within GNS3. It would be a wet dream if they supported the 1800/2800 series routers. Maybe in GNS3 1.0. If I get htis fully working like I want to (route-map filtering, access-listing, IPv6, etc) I may dump a few of the real routers that I have in my lab so others can use them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

madsushi posted:

FWIW, I didn't do any labs past the first 4-5 and still passed.

Hmmm, did you do the quizzes?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I didn't see GSEC mentioned in the OP for security. What do you security dudes think? I'm scheduled to take GSEC 401 boot camp next month with cert - coming from a sec admin background.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
I've got a question for you all. I want to transition into tech from my current lovely call center job. I'm pretty computer savvy in a general way(build my own computers, help my parents, setup basic home networks and ran cables for my high school etc..), but have never worked a tech job before. If I get my a+ would I be able to find a job? Seems like everything I see listed requires years of previous experience.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I'd skip A+, honestly. Do you know what you're interested in?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

ICE UP SON posted:

I didn't see GSEC mentioned in the OP for security. What do you security dudes think? I'm scheduled to take GSEC 401 boot camp next month with cert - coming from a sec admin background.

It's a reasonably respectable entry-ish level cert, and it's on the DoD list. It will cover networking, windows, and linux in a more technical fashion then the CISSP. It's somewhat overview level though, as SANS offers more in depth courses on all of those topics. I suppose it just comes down to what your goals are vs your current skill level vs your job responsibilities.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014
B&N keeps delaying my preorder of the second CCNA Data Center book (640-916 exam)... *grrrrr*

Are there any books/guides that cover the Nexus 3000 series "merchant silicon"? I've read the data sheets, and they mention some of the techniques used to get nanosecond level latency, but nothing as in-depth as I'd like. Anybody aware of anything available out in the wild I could pick up to read?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Lavastine posted:

I've got a question for you all. I want to transition into tech from my current lovely call center job. I'm pretty computer savvy in a general way(build my own computers, help my parents, setup basic home networks and ran cables for my high school etc..), but have never worked a tech job before. If I get my a+ would I be able to find a job? Seems like everything I see listed requires years of previous experience.

A+ is a good one to get even in a call center and coming from it it can't help.

Depending where you want to go an A+ and something such as an OS cert e.g Windows Server or Desktop, Lunix, etc.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
A+ is good for learning. I went to community college first and thanks to getting the A+ I received credit at WGU. Besides that one cert is better than none. A+ helped get me on the path and I got a job or two thanks to it, nothing big yet. A+ will not get you a decent IT job (in my experience) so take note.

Had a question I've been thinking about my plans. I'm working on a BS IT network administration degree at WGU. This will mean I eventually get a MCTIP.

Now what I'm starting to think is it might be a wise choice to go for the security emphasis IT degree instead.

So tell me what's more valuable having CCNA: R&S, Voice, and Security. (CCNA associate everything!)

Versus what would be CCNA R&S, Voice and MCTIP.

I don't have Voice yet but I'm taking the test this week, I may just go for a regular IT degree once I'm able to secure a good job. My goal is to get a networking job with a VoIP emphasis. Goes without saying but I definitely like Cisco. The only other company that has my attention is VMware and those certs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CCNA R&S is enough on its own; get the MCSE. Even network engineers have to do a good amount of systems administration, because chances are good you'll be in charge of the monitoring/logging servers and possibly the vSphere server, too. Getting some linux or BSD experience would be good, as well, since a lot of appliances run on a Linux/BSD backend.

From what I've gathered, voice is only good if you're planning on going for the CCNP: V. And I would eschew Security in favor of the CISSP instead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much more of a challenge is MCSE over the MCSA?

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just barely passed the 70-462 (Admin SQL 2012).

For anyone else who's taking this exam be sure not to skip any materials on SQL Azure. I got stung by like 5 questions involving Azure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Tab8715 posted:

How much more of a challenge is MCSE over the MCSA?

I haven't held an MCSE since the NT4/Win2K days, but the MCSE used to be like getting a CCNP from Cisco. It was 7 different exams, covering everything from Core Tech, to electives like Exchange or SQL.

I'm sure people that have been thru the program recently can shed more light on it.

I don't know if MS certs are still viewed as poorly as they used to be. That's why I stopped going for them, after I got my MCT after next to no training. Even Novell used to be more stringent about their instructor level training.

Hz so good fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 21, 2014