Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Can someone tell me what the X button is used for in this game, or if it can be remapped? I need to have my 3DS repaired, but I also want to play this ASAP, and I dunno what to do first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Francis posted:

Unless I missed it, there really isn't. They build up a pretty neat in-universe explanation for the job system, then completely punt on the how and why.

They're described as semiprecious stones in the journal, which makes me think they aren't even all that special in the game world. I mean, it's not like there can only be one group of people at a time who can have white mages because there's only one white mage asterisk, right?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay, thanks, I'll try this. It just seems like a weird design decision to suddenly make the random encounters so tough out of nowhere. It feels like endgame content, but I'm just over halfway through the game or something.

Honestly it kind of is endgame content; based on the order in which notes about that castle appear in D's Journal relative to other stuff, the game doesn't expect you to do it until after you're done with Chapter 4, even though you can.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Rollersnake posted:

Can someone tell me what the X button is used for in this game, or if it can be remapped? I need to have my 3DS repaired, but I also want to play this ASAP, and I dunno what to do first.
Menu like most RPGs, as well as an important unskippable thing where you have to mash X for a minute, every chapter. There's nowhere to remap it, so if your X button is toast you need to get your 3DS fixed first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have 40 hours in Bravely Default now, and I think i'm ready to put it down and go play another game on my 3DS. I have a backlog finally. Bravely Default is still in my opinion a fantastic game and I love it to death. It's really good and I hope there is a sequel.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The amount of backtracking for the Entertainer asterik side-quest is hilarious and frustrating. Good thing there's a 0% encounter option.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

sforzacio posted:

Yeah I'm either missing something, or you're misreading that last page. Care to elaborate?

I think he's talking about the notes where the Red Mage starts talking about the experiments, and the last page is a jumbled mess.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Eddain posted:

I think he's talking about the notes where the Red Mage starts talking about the experiments, and the last page is a jumbled mess.

You mean the page you have to read backwards?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I think Rangpur is referring to "Asterisks" as the bearers and Francis is referring to the jobs themselves..?

Zaa Boogie posted:

You mean the page you have to read backwards?
Yeah, the title "(<)" is kind of a hint there :v: Here's the transcription for anyone too lazy, if I didn't gently caress it up:

quote:

That downer Khint refused to come aboard our plan to plunder Eternia.
We'll have Profiteur deal with him, and strike the Orthodoxy treasury as planned.
We'll incite the hostages to martyrdom in order to furnish a scapegoat, Qada will ready every compound he can, and the fools will all die where they stand...

I don't recall the thing about the hostages though..

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What are materials used for? I just got thief and I'm stealing poo poo like a motherfucker (which of course takes mp, drat), I just don't know what it's used on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What are materials used for? I just got thief and I'm stealing poo poo like a motherfucker (which of course takes mp, drat), I just don't know what it's used on.

The Salve-Maker job has the ability to mix them.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Smornstein posted:

So i tried to fight the summoner boss and her summon wrecked my poo poo what's a good level/job set up current i'm around 21-22 and i've got Spell Fencer, Time Mage, White Mage, and Thief.

Good question. I came across one of these too and it totally pushed my poo poo in. He looked like an owl and he cast a summon on me and one shot EVERYONE. I would like some tips because I'm getting tired of watching the one summon I have over and over again.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm in chapter two now, and all these jobs are starting the stress me out. Like, I just got Time Mage and Spell Fencer, but I'm not seeing any real reason to not set everyone to Knight or Spell Fencer with White Mage skills. Everything is pretty daunting, and those two jobs just work fine thus far.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

G-Whizard posted:

Good question. I came across one of these too and it totally pushed my poo poo in. He looked like an owl and he cast a summon on me and one shot EVERYONE. I would like some tips because I'm getting tired of watching the one summon I have over and over again.

Depends on which owl and summon you're encountering. The early ones deal elemental damage, so having your team be a class that has more defence and equipping accessories that also helps resist certain elemental damage will do some good for you.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Yeah, I misread. In my defense, they're always called "asterisk-bearers" in the game.

Slime posted:

They're described as semiprecious stones in the journal, which makes me think they aren't even all that special in the game world. I mean, it's not like there can only be one group of people at a time who can have white mages because there's only one white mage asterisk, right?

This is what I was getting at. (Chapter 4, 6 sidequests) They kind of do imply that. The creation and use of asterisks is explained as a way for the Orthodoxy to retain control over assigning vocations while ducking a scandal that they were corrupt and granting the use of job abilities in exchange for money and favors. It doesn't really make much sense and seems more like a typical JRPG dig at historical organized religion than anything. The actual creation and function of asterisks is lamely handwaved and is a giant narrative contrivance like everything else Yulyana has a hand in.

I really like that it's implied Lord DeRosso asked his frienemy for an asterisk so he could act like a real vampire instead just being slandered as one. It's probably my favorite lore bit in the entire game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How are you supposed to deal with Belphegor or whatever the lvl. 20 norende monster is called? I can't quite figure out its weaknesses :saddowns:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Calaveron posted:

How are you supposed to deal with Belphegor or whatever the lvl. 20 norende monster is called? I can't quite figure out its weaknesses :saddowns:

It rotates between Fire, Water and Lightning, in that order. Find out which one it starts on, and then cycle through them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

It rotates between Fire, Water and Lightning, in that order. Find out which one it starts on, and then cycle through them.

More precisely, it switches every time you hit the weakness. It has powerful fire attacks, so get fire resist. I don't think you can actually buy the fire resist accessory yet, but I remember having one. Mix that with abate fire from the black mage job and magic armor from spell fencer and you'll be fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How important are the Streetpass mechanics in this? I read that Streetpasses are necessary for getting workers to build up your town, and, well, Streetpasses are a bit hard to come by at the best of times, so that would be a bummer if there wasn't some kind of caveat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

By adding friends online through friend codes you can get workers, you don't need to street pass.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

How important are the Streetpass mechanics in this? I read that Streetpasses are necessary for getting workers to build up your town, and, well, Streetpasses are a bit hard to come by at the best of times, so that would be a bummer if there wasn't some kind of caveat.

You can get plenty of workers by connecting to the internet via the adventurer save menu.

Edit: You don't even need to actually add them as friends to get workers. You just get 3 guests each day, who are like friends but crappier. But they count for Norende slaves ESTEEMED CITIZENS.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I hit the dreaded Chapter 5 I kept seeing people moan about.
Please tell me I'm not going to have to reawaken every crystal or something, with all the complaints I've heard I'm dreading this is what's going to happen...Especially since Derossa basically told everyone that awakening the crystals is A Bad Thing and that Airy is tricking them all. Which the fact that no one picked up on that also made me angry.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I hit the dreaded Chapter 5 I kept seeing people moan about.
Please tell me I'm not going to have to reawaken every crystal or something, with all the complaints I've heard I'm dreading this is what's going to happen...Especially since Derossa basically told everyone that awakening the crystals is A Bad Thing and that Airy is tricking them all. Which the fact that no one picked up on that also made me angry.
Chapter five.
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I would tell you that, but lying isn't nice.

On the bright side, you have the Grandship already so you can just fly straight there and walk through the already completed dungeons which takes like ten seconds (except for Everlast Tower and Mythril Mines which take like a minute each).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

maketakunai posted:

Chapter five.
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I would tell you that, but lying isn't nice.

On the bright side, you have the Grandship already so you can just fly straight there and walk through the already completed dungeons which takes like ten seconds (except for Everlast Tower and Mythril Mines which take like a minute each).

Well, that's good at least. I assumed they'd make me go through the entire song and dance with doing all the events again with new dialogue or something equally awful. Still feels like completely pointless padding though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well, you can Do all the sidequests and fight the bosses again with additional scenes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, you can Do all the sidequests and fight the bosses again with additional scenes.

Is this just for fluff or is this something I need to do for the true ending or any sort of tangible benefit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, that's good at least. I assumed they'd make me go through the entire song and dance with doing all the events again with new dialogue or something equally awful. Still feels like completely pointless padding though.

I look forward to your reaction to Chapter 6.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is this just for fluff or is this something I need to do for the true ending or any sort of tangible benefit?

It's skippable, though I recommend doing them in chapter 8 as it does give most of them some decent backstory.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You're going to have to define what a tangible benefit is in any jrpg.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I look forward to your reaction to Chapter 6.

:suicide:

e: My poor X button is going to be worn out after this isn't it.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 16, 2014

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Got the game today, and while I like it so far, I'm already having a pretty tough time at the second dungeon with the pig orc guards. Is this a grind-heavy game?

Slime posted:

You can get plenty of workers by connecting to the internet via the adventurer save menu.

I just added some online friends to do the ability link thing, but no new workers showed up. Is there an extra step to that process?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

Got the game today, and while I like it so far, I'm already having a pretty tough time at the second dungeon with the pig orc guards. Is this a grind-heavy game?

Levels are far less important than your character builds. Early on Monk can carry you very easily and as the game progresses how you build is infinitely more important than what your level is.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aha, I wasn't expecting a murder mystery in the ninja sub-scenario, but it was great stuff if kind of simple. :allears:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

Those orcs are such a huge leap up from the boss right before them that it's kind of shocking. My suggestion: just press on. Eventually you'll understand their patterns and how to take them out without taking too much damage. The rest of the prologue is kind of a walk in the park after that dungeon, but it's a pretty big spike.

The game can be a little grindy if you're playing on Hard, but only because it really rewards having multiple jobs leveled up and ready to go on each character. Unless you change jobs all the time while playing normally, you'll probably need to stop every now and again to catch up a job you haven't used in a while. Even then it's not too bad once you figure out a good way to pick up JP, and it's not like you have to max jobs for them to be effective for most of the game, either.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Behonkiss posted:

I just added some online friends to do the ability link thing, but no new workers showed up. Is there an extra step to that process?

Save menu -> Update Data. You can do this once per day to get randoms off the internet to show up in your town. At certain points (based on progression in the plot? hours played? who knows) the number of guests you get per shot upgrades to 4 and 5.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

~*Big spoilers don't mouse over, etc*~

So realizing the twist ahead of time and destroying the crystals before having to do the same thing 4 times locks you into the bad ending? What the gently caress square. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea at all? :( I think I need a break.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Just an FYI don't speed up the summoner boss' summon animation it crashed my game and i had to reset my 3ds.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

~*Big spoilers don't mouse over, etc*~

So realizing the twist ahead of time and destroying the crystals before having to do the same thing 4 times locks you into the bad ending? What the gently caress square. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea at all? :( I think I need a break.

Good news!
It's not a bad ending at all, and when you clear the (short, rewarding) dungeon you go through on that route, it returns you right before the crystal break.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Thuryl posted:

Save menu -> Update Data. You can do this once per day to get randoms off the internet to show up in your town. At certain points (based on progression in the plot? hours played? who knows) the number of guests you get per shot upgrades to 4 and 5.

Okay, that didn't do much when I tried it the first time for whatever reason, but I was able to get 3 new villagers after trying again. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Man the fight to unlock thief took me loving forever. I wasn't in danger of dying at any point, not even close, but all my dudes did like 50-80ish damage per round (if that.) Monk/Monk/Freelancer/Freelancer. Just slogging through a bag of hitpoints.

• Locked thread