Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it. It just feels off.

I think it's a matter of having too much of a good thing. The thing Les prides himself on, and what makes Survivorman the best in its genre (really, the only survival show I can watch to be honest), is the authenticity of the show. It's the reason why we only get a few episodes every 3 or 4 years, and it has kept the show fresh. But now I feel like I've seen it all. I will still watch because it's loving Les Stroud, but it's starting to get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'd really like Les to go out and do a Survivorman special where he goes as long as he can in some godforsaken place.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it. It just feels off.

He's just obviously getting older. He sounds and looks more tired and his beard starts coming in white halfway through the show.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

He also apparently hates cold weather survival these days, which probably explains why he seemed normal in the two Grenada episodes but was a bit grumpy in Patagonia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

trouser chili posted:

I'd really like Les to go out and do a Survivorman special where he goes as long as he can in some godforsaken place.

Survivorman: New Jersey.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

He also apparently hates cold weather survival these days, which probably explains why he seemed normal in the two Grenada episodes but was a bit grumpy in Patagonia.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Survivorman: New Jersey.

Dude it is like 5 degrees F right now outside in NJ.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Supreme Allah posted:

He's just obviously getting older. He sounds and looks more tired and his beard starts coming in white halfway through the show.

When he "retired" the first time, he mentioned that he couldn't recover as quickly as he once did. Then he did those 10-day expeditions. And now he's back the 7-day adventures. Still better than Bear Grylls.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Vakal posted:

So far that Klondike miniseries has been pretty good.

Basically it's a Deadwood movie without the swearing.

It was well done I thought. Tim Roth was really good as an antagonist, being the bad guy not just for a propensity for violence but being a real estate baron was interesting, and Richard Madden was good in Game of Thrones and he was good in this series too.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Check out the Nasa or Smithsonian channels. They're pretty good. Of course they will turn to poo poo after a few years, but for now they're faaantastic.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

PlushCow posted:

It was well done I thought. Tim Roth was really good as an antagonist, being the bad guy not just for a propensity for violence but being a real estate baron was interesting, and Richard Madden was good in Game of Thrones and he was good in this series too.

I was pretty happy until the end.

I felt like the writers punished the Belinda character for not swooning and falling into Bill's arms like she was 'supposed to'. Especially since the real Belinda apparently built a mansion in Washington and lived to 95. The money appears to have eventually run out, but they made it sound like she was twice a failure and ended up as some servant. Which appears to be hardly the case.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Just watched the Whale Wars special. I know the reasons for them not to do it, but if they care about the whales that much and are truly willing to die, they should try to take that factory ship out. Sink it, blow it up, whatever. Yeah, they will be branded as pirates, likely die in the process or attacked before they make it to port, but drat it, they would ACTUALLY stop whaling... at least until they can get a new factory ship.

It would make me feel that they are truly willing to die for the whales, and honestly, it would cause me to give them a tiny bit of respect. But no, they will just do poo poo like "try" and stop whaling while the whalers have proven that the Sea Shepards cannot stop them and they will do their business right in front of them without caring.

EDIT: I love that the whalers are just "Get the gently caress out of my way, we're doing this anyway"

EDIT2: drat, ok, wow, I actually respect Peter Hammarstedt a bit now. Reckless, but drat, he stood his ground.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 29, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fire Storm posted:

Just watched the Whale Wars special. I know the reasons for them not to do it, but if they care about the whales that much and are truly willing to die, they should try to take that factory ship out. Sink it, blow it up, whatever. Yeah, they will be branded as pirates, likely die in the process or attacked before they make it to port, but drat it, they would ACTUALLY stop whaling... at least until they can get a new factory ship.
They would stop a modestly profitable whaling operation by a single country in a specific location for maybe a single season. It's not like all the world's whaling is done by that lone Japanese fleet in Antarctica (though it's probably the biggest industrialized operation that targets large baleen whales).

Fire Storm posted:

It would make me feel that they are truly willing to die for the whales, and honestly, it would cause me to give them a tiny bit of respect. But no, they will just do poo poo like "try" and stop whaling while the whalers have proven that the Sea Shepards cannot stop them and they will do their business right in front of them without caring.
Ironically, back before the Sea Shepherds started their gimmicky "escalation" campaigns and fishermen were harpooning whales in front of the cameras was when the Animal Planet crew got some of their most compelling footage for the anti-whaling cause.

edit: Peter seems like he's really trying. He's not nearly as much of an egotistical idiot as Watson.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 29, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Pubestache seems genuine, if misguided at times. He's not like Watson.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Now that pot is legal in Colorado, can we hope to see an episode of Mythbusters where they all get stoned and try driving, shooting, etc?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Now that pot is legal in Colorado, can we hope to see an episode of Mythbusters where they all get stoned and try driving, shooting, etc?

It's still against federal law so probably not

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hazo posted:

They would stop a modestly profitable whaling operation by a single country in a specific location for maybe a single season. It's not like all the world's whaling is done by that lone Japanese fleet in Antarctica (though it's probably the biggest industrialized operation that targets large baleen whales).
Ironically, back before the Sea Shepherds started their gimmicky "escalation" campaigns and fishermen were harpooning whales in front of the cameras was when the Animal Planet crew got some of their most compelling footage for the anti-whaling cause.

edit: Peter seems like he's really trying. He's not nearly as much of an egotistical idiot as Watson.

It's not at all profitable.

And the reason Pubestache looks competent is he's one of the very few SSCS idiots that gets paid.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Makes me wonder why they don't take a few of the more regular Sea Shepard members and give them at least some helicopter training. Pilots seem to be their biggest problem, what with the wanting to make a living and all.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You can't just give people helicopter training, it takes years to be rated as a pilot that can easily make landings on moving platforms in the middle of nowhere.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

kefkafloyd posted:

You can't just give people helicopter training, it takes years to be rated as a pilot that can easily make landings on moving platforms in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah, I know they need years of training to do it PROPERLY, but this is the Sea Shepards! They can do it half-assed, no problem!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Fire Storm posted:

Yeah, I know they need years of training to do it PROPERLY, but this is the Sea Shepards! They can do it half-assed, no problem!

After all, they can pilot boats and very few of them have actual naval training. I mean, how hard can it be? :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like this Survivorman 2001, but he needs to get over Bear Grylls. We get it. At this point he's like the guy angry at pro wrestling being fake.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

FogHelmut posted:

I like this Survivorman 2001, but he needs to get over Bear Grylls. We get it. At this point he's like the guy angry at pro wrestling being fake.

I like Les Stroud and while I believe he is on his own for a week, deep down I think he has a satphone hidden somewhere.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Mister Kingdom posted:

I like Les Stroud and while I believe he is on his own for a week, deep down I think he has a satphone hidden somewhere.

Hasn't there been a few episodes where the crew contacted him and told him they were coming to get him because of impending weather?

So not something they hide, but not something they blatantly advertise.

e: One he was adrift at sea and the other he was in (I think) northern Alaska and the ice was melting and storms were coming so if something happened he would have been stranded.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, he never hides the fact that there are safety precautions. It wouldn't be aired on a network if there weren't.

He generally has a safety crew but they aren't an instant save in many situations due to the remote areas and environments. Usually it's a combination of a crew (in the general vicinity), and having previously scouted the area/people. In that one ep when the jaguar was stalking him his best option was to run to a nearby village and then wait for the crew.

In that ep he was adrift, he was trying to call the crew for (hours?) without getting a signal, because a storm was coming. Eventually they got in contact and reached him but it was a big point that he was entirely without contact for a while, floating in the middle of the ocean waiting to die.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I enjoyed that pilot, I wonder why he had never packaged it for air before. Worked out just like a normal episode. Wonder if the mosquitos in this episode compared the same to the previous episode with the really bad mosquitos. Looking on Wikipedia, is this a re-packaging of Stranded? That looks like the show from 2001 that spawned Survivorman.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 6, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

One thing he said is that the satellite phone doesn't work very well in jungles or places with thick tree canopies so if something really does go wrong when he's in a rainforest he'll have a hell of a time contacting a rescue team.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight on Mythbusters, light animal cruelty!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Grant's pig claws have stepped this up into average animal cruelty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The cat thing is mean because they are being actively unpleasant to the cats.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
This is not one of their better efforts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why didn't they go talk to a professional animal trainer? It's not like they're the first ones to ever try to order cats around.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That was probably the dumbest episode I have ever seen them do. Also, the only real answer was to go to that cat island in Japan for real testing. You know your episode is a winner when the best segment was about squeezing poo poo into a bag.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They started the season with a couple of genuinely interesting episodes and I almost thought the show was finally on an upsurge. But that was just a boring episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I mean, it's true, it was a bad episode, and they've had a slew of them in the past years. But again, it's a show that really isn't given a lot of money (compared to other shows) and tries to make these things interesting. It's fun to have it around, especially when they tackle something cool.

I'm not saying it gets to its heights often, but when it does, it certainly makes them count. Aren't we all sad that they aren't making more Good Eats?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ashpanash posted:

I mean, it's true, it was a bad episode, and they've had a slew of them in the past years. But again, it's a show that really isn't given a lot of money (compared to other shows) and tries to make these things interesting. It's fun to have it around, especially when they tackle something cool.

I'm not saying it gets to its heights often, but when it does, it certainly makes them count. Aren't we all sad that they aren't making more Good Eats?

It's not just that Good Eats is gone, but they moved the reruns to a channel where they have to cut minutes off of the episodes due to different commercial scheduling. :saddowns:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ashpanash posted:

Not really, because they kind of ran out of things to do.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Alton did hint last year on Twitter that it would return in some format, some day.. and that our "patience will be rewarded."
So.. there's that, at least. At some point in the future. A lot of people are speculating YouTube....

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
A few weeks ago Mythbusters were doing myths that people can try at home, and one of them involved microwaving a container of water -- which they gave the okay for everyone to do at home. Microwaving water can actually be dangerous -- http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp. It's one of those things I never do because I heard about it as a kid. They probably should have looked into it and done a segment on if microwaving water is dangerous, instead of whatever they were doing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ashpanash posted:

The Alton Browncast is awesome because it's him getting nerdy about stuff he's interested in. I didn't know I could listen to an interview about spices until he put out his interview with the Spice House.

I also blame him for my recent uptick in spending on whisky/bourbons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

Supreme Allah posted:

A few weeks ago Mythbusters were doing myths that people can try at home, and one of them involved microwaving a container of water -- which they gave the okay for everyone to do at home. Microwaving water can actually be dangerous -- http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp. It's one of those things I never do because I heard about it as a kid. They probably should have looked into it and done a segment on if microwaving water is dangerous, instead of whatever they were doing.

They already have, a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

• Locked thread