Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

Krad posted:

Final Fantasy 6 on Wait mode. In fact, I think there was a stream trying it out already.

Seems like that would be destined to fall apart at the floating continent or any of the multiparty battles.

Tengama fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

precision posted:

The guy running it must hate money, because all he would have to do is make the chat sub-only for an hour and he'd make literally about $50k. I'm impressed that he's managed to resist that temptation.

There are more than a few clones doing just that. There was a FF6 channel that had the input split between general and sub chat with subs getting their own unique chat codes that had higher priority. Didn't seem to have any interest.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wait a minute TM30 is still here, I thought they tossed it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

The guy running it must hate money, because all he would have to do is make the chat sub-only for an hour and he'd make literally about $50k. I'm impressed that he's managed to resist that temptation.

Pokemon is not about the money. It is about being the Very Best.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
VICTORY!

One major obstacle down.

yep
Dec 29, 2012
When pushed to the brink, the internet will come together in the face of adversity to defeat a common foe: shrubbery.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

New Tree cut PB

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Onwards, to The Ledge!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

precision posted:

We don't know who exactly is running it, but she could write a thesis on all the data gathered so far.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
My God. A literal Let's Play. This is amazing. :allears:

I wonder how long this'll actually take. Will the amount of viewers eventually drop enough that something can get done? Who knows, but I'm glad I found this. Will definitely have to check in every so often to see how things are going.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The stream has become shockingly good at cutting. Now to see if they can get past this ledge in less than 18 hours.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Crain posted:

VICTORY!

One major obstacle down.

Out of the fire, into the nuclear furnace.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It was my destiny to be here; on the ledge

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crain posted:

There are more than a few clones doing just that. There was a FF6 channel that had the input split between general and sub chat with subs getting their own unique chat codes that had higher priority. Didn't seem to have any interest.

Well yeah, but the clones aren't making money because they don't have 23k people already hooked on it. If this specific channel went sub-only, you better believe several thousand of the watchers would throw down fivebux without even thinking about it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

precision posted:

Well yeah, but the clones aren't making money because they don't have 23k people already hooked on it. If this specific channel went sub-only, you better believe several thousand of the watchers would throw down fivebux without even thinking about it.

I very nearly threw down 5 bux because I've had this on my TV for something like 48 hours and it's strangely entertaining to glance over every now and then and see Red spazzing out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How the gently caress are there MORE people? 27k is insanity.

edit: I mean just in context, the Pokemon twitch is almost as big as the entirety of Hearthstone.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Watching this has led me to wonder something... What is the shortest possible sequence of inputs that, if repeated ad infinitum, would eventually finish the game?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Tae posted:

How the gently caress are there MORE people? 27k is insanity.

edit: I mean just in context, the Pokemon twitch is almost as big as the entirety of Hearthstone.

Not to mention outperforming Titanfall on it's big beta weekend with 17k.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Morroque posted:

Watching this has led me to wonder something... What is the shortest possible sequence of inputs that, if repeated ad infinitum, would eventually finish the game?
Not exactly the same thing, but here is a TAS of Mega Man 3, 4, 5, and 6 being beaten with the same set of inputs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pz6waED0w

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
The streamer is probably worried going to sub only for an hour would kill the novelty for a lot of people and the watchers would rapidly drop off. Especially if 1k people made a lot of progress in that hour while everyone else just has to sit and watch. It would make a lot of money once though.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

So we've stopped throttling the start command then?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Morroque posted:

Take whatever inputs that save corruption TAS uses and it's probably that.

Iterating 1 time counts, right? :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Morroque posted:

I don't know, but the run for Blue is certainly shorter than the 28 minute sequence that completes Pokémon Blue (not Red) with glitches. In theory it could be pushed quite a bit lower, since there are so many non-input frames for each input frame.

This might interest the thread, a single input file that beats Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, Lost Levels, and 3 in 10:29 or less.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Baron O Beefdip posted:

So we've stopped throttling the start command then?

Yeah, it was a nice idea in theory but it really just made trolling easier. Plus, it made it really difficult to cut the tree since so many people were getting throttled.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
They've developed a new strategy of using start to pause so that people behind the stream can catch up and get the downs out of their system.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Wadjamaloo posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but here is a TAS of Mega Man 3, 4, 5, and 6 being beaten with the same set of inputs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pz6waED0w

Yeah, I'm aware of that one. Perhaps there is some Golden Ratio of input commands that would eventually beat multiple games at once. What I was thinking of is more along the lines of how pi eventually becomes a repeating decimal over a very long sequence, and if there is not a similar sequence that can be expressed in a single block of commands -- the very base pattern of the game.

Color Printer posted:

Take whatever inputs that save corruption TAS uses and it's probably that.

Iterating 1 time counts, right? :v:

Eh, I guess there's always that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

california roll posted:

The streamer is probably worried going to sub only for an hour would kill the novelty for a lot of people and the watchers would rapidly drop off. Especially if 1k people made a lot of progress in that hour while everyone else just has to sit and watch. It would make a lot of money once though.
It wouldn't even be as much money as people think. Twitch gets half the sub fee, the streamer gets the other half. Out of the 20k people viewing, id be surprised if more than 1/4 of them are participating. Another 3/4 of that probably doesn't care enough to sub. Another chunk of those people probably have subbed already just to show support. By making it sub only you would only be looking at $1-$2000, which is a good chunk of change but isn't really insane instant profit.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Twitch already had a near success in traversing the ledge again. Walked all the way across, took a step up, then down, then up, then down twice and jumped. Fantastic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

This might interest the thread, a single input file that beats Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, Lost Levels, and 3 in 10:29 or less.

Which I forgot to post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_AerCVhoTM

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
The only way I can see sub mode working without alienating the 20k people watching is by enabling it for a couple minutes every quarter of the day. Enabling sub mode when there are probably less than 20 subscribers for a significant amount of time will probably chase a lot of people away.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

BurningDance posted:

The only way I can see sub mode working without alienating the 20k people watching is by enabling it for a couple minutes every quarter of the day. Enabling sub mode when there are probably less than 20 subscribers for a significant amount of time will probably chase a lot of people away.

5 mins in every hour. Enough to get poo poo done for those obsessed, not too much to drive away. Might even drive troll subs.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Morroque posted:

What I was thinking of is more along the lines of how pi eventually becomes a repeating decimal over a very long sequence.

Off-topic, but pi is an irrational number; it never repeats.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Morroque posted:

how pi eventually becomes a repeating decimal over a very long sequence

Except that's, uh, the exact opposite of how pi works? :psyduck:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nition posted:

Off-topic, but pi is an irrational number; it never repeats.
I think he means "you'll eventually hit a point with like 30 4s in a row", before breaking back into whatever else is going on. And since it goes on infinitely, the chance of that eventually happening is quite literally 100%.

Example
3.1415... ...45354155555555555555555555555555587374745... [continues into the distance]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Watching this stream is strangely hypnotic. And with the long delay between inputting a command and the reaction, plus each "correct" command having to fight against a thousand other impulses that are just noise, it's a pretty compelling simulator of a multiple sclerosis patient suffering from a seizure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wadjamaloo posted:

It wouldn't even be as much money as people think. Twitch gets half the sub fee, the streamer gets the other half. Out of the 20k people viewing, id be surprised if more than 1/4 of them are participating. Another 3/4 of that probably doesn't care enough to sub. Another chunk of those people probably have subbed already just to show support. By making it sub only you would only be looking at $1-$2000, which is a good chunk of change but isn't really insane instant profit.

It still shows tremendous restraint to keep this going rather than cash in and make a grand or two. I mean you might be rich moneybags but a couple grand is a lot of money to some people, especially when the alternative is "make almost no money".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
2 million cumulative views. After being created 3 days ago. Thats got to be a record for a brand new channel.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
At some point in Pi is this exact phrase I'm typing right now if it were encoded into a numerical cipher

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I hope the command interface pulls inputs out of the text of the chat wherever they appear, so someone typing "DON'T TYPE DOWN!" registers as a "down" command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rocketlex posted:

I hope the command interface pulls inputs out of the text of the chat wherever they appear, so someone typing "DON'T TYPE DOWN!" registers as a "down" command.

It does.

• Locked thread