Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I love Balmora. It's the London of Morrowind: inevitably raining, located on a river, full of identical grey buildings, everybody hates you for being an Immigrant, there's a clear class system (posh shops up on the hill, prole clubs below), and it's a soulless financial district run by fantasy libertarians collaborating with imperialists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Back with a First-Time-Player Report:
  • why the gently caress am I moving so slow?
  • No boots for beast races means Orc Barbarian time.
  • Got one-shotted by the wizard in the cave north of the starting town.
  • Game is ugly and pretty at the same time. Lost of distinct art direction hidden under low-poly modeling.
  • It's hard to find things in Balmora because all the buildings look so similar.
  • So apparently the Blades hide as crack addicts. Good to know.
  • Joined Fighters Guild, immediately assigned exterminator work.
  • so drat slow
  • The combat is surprisingly fun for something that has randomized hit-or-miss mechanics.
  • Found naked Wine-Sot dude on road near mining town. He got stuck in a cave pool because he couldn't figure out how to use the ramp out. Had to look up console codes to get him out.
  • gently caress you witch lady, give him the axe.
  • First Cliff Racer fight. It's like a velvet pterodactyl.
  • Found pilgrim, agreed to help him find cave.
  • This loser moves even slower than I do? gently caress it, end of session.

stick with it. going into morrowind the first time without any guidance is overwhelming. i think i didnt start liking it until a number of false starts. its in my top 3 favorite games now.

the slow feeling will fade after a while once your athletics and acrobatics start leveling up.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

An Angry Bug posted:

Sloooooowwwwwwww

setspeed 100...or 10000 go for 10000.

Actually just straight up console cheating yourself into the God of Gods in Sedya Neen is a legit and very fun way to play. I mean you're doing the same thing with alchemy but alchemy takes more time and button clicks.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 16, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The only "guide" you need for morrowind is the map it comes with.

Blue Raider posted:

only punk bitches UNINSTALL

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I love Balmora. It's the London of Morrowind: inevitably raining, located on a river, full of identical grey buildings, everybody hates you for being an Immigrant, there's a clear class system (posh shops up on the hill, prole clubs below), and it's a soulless financial district run by fantasy libertarians collaborating with imperialists.

my favorites are pelagaid and ald velothi because theres something awesome about towns that are secluded enough to not get fast travel options. ald velothi especially feels like an alien world

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ald Velothi is fuckin baller, I love that village. The only good thing about House Redoran is that it has quests that go to Ald Velothi. Gnaar Mok is another awesome town in the same vein. Vos too (not Tel Vos, just regular-rear end Vos). The tiny villages are so much better in this game that Skyrim.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i always forget about vos and tel vos. thats a cool rear end wizard tower in that town. also vos gets a lot of foot traffic from me usually because the temple there has the master trainer in restoration

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tel Vos is pretty much proof that the Telvanni are crazy and awesome. And Vos itself is so hosed. Like, the whole town is unlevel and the buildings are all messed up. I love it.

poo poo, maybe I'll make my home in Vos in my current game, rather than Hlormaren like I usually do.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh my God I decided to look up Vivec on Tumblr and all the SJWing about his gender is hilarious

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

Back with a First-Time-Player Report:

How to not walk like a grandma in morrowind:
  • Get the Boots of Blinding Speed
  • Make a resist magic 100 for 1 sec spell
  • Cast spell, immediately put on boots, never bitch again

You need the spell otherwise you are literally blinded, hence the boots' name

So on this playthrough I want to specialize in spears, wear some baller medium armor, and dabble in magic. Whats the best major/minor skills setup for this?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 16, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Dr. Lenin posted:

How to not walk like a grandma in morrowind:
  • Get the Boots of Blinding Speed
  • Make a resist magic 100 for 1 sec spell
  • Cast spell, immediately put on boots, never bitch again

Do this first on every single character or you will hate yourself.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
If you're not gonna spend your sweet time trundling from bug house to not-roman castle taking in the splendor of every limestone tomb full of vampires or ambush by low-rez bugs then go back to skyrim.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Once, I tried an experiment where my character only ever walked anywhere. I sure was a fuckin' bored-rear end (nerd) teen at the time.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

Once, I tried an experiment where my character only ever walked anywhere. I sure was a fuckin' bored-rear end (nerd) teen at the time.

Walking is for scrubs. Real men jump like humanoid fleas across half the island in a single hop.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
My favorite town for its feel is Hla Oad. It's a little sleepy port on the rear end end of Vvardenfell, in the middle of the swamps. A small collection of ramshackle huts with clutter to give it life. Stop in at the only store in town, buy a drink, let all the Camonna Tong people talk poo poo to you, explore the smuggler's cove. Great times.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

the night dad posted:

If you're not gonna spend your sweet time trundling from bug house to not-roman castle taking in the splendor of every limestone tomb full of vampires or ambush by low-rez bugs then go back to skyrim.

i agree, but do it at high speeds with your magic boots

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Bretons are just loving broken in general. Magic resist is one hell of a passive buff, so these loving balding French dudes are the greatest race to pair the Atronach birthsign with. Shittiest race is probably the Altmer.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
If you dont play dunmer you can get the gently caress off my homeland, outlander bithc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

gently caress you if you dont pick the ritual as a birth sign

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
STEED MOTHERBITCHES!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Steed is the only sign I take in Skyrim because having up to 550 carry is awesome

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dr. Lenin posted:

Steed is the only sign I take in Skyrim because having up to 550 carry is awesome

yea me too. skyrim is too packratty not to

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dr. Lenin posted:

If you dont play dunmer you can get the gently caress off my homeland, outlander bithc

You're an outlander too, you shithead. You came in on a loving boat and walk your gay-rear end Imperialized walk and talk in your whiny Imperial talk and you think you can say, "I'm a native Dunmer!"? gently caress you. Please remove all these loving n'wahs, Dagoth Ur.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

setspeed 100...or 10000 go for 10000.

Actually just straight up console cheating yourself into the God of Gods in Sedya Neen is a legit and very fun way to play. I mean you're doing the same thing with alchemy but alchemy takes more time and button clicks.

this is how I've been playing morrowind since I worked out how to do that 10 years ago

people who say cheating ruins a games enjoyability don't know what they're talking about

but yeah always set follower speed to over 100 for your own sake

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I play Breton for the magic resist just for Boots of Blinding Speed because I am not one of these 1 second spell exploiters like the scrubs in this thread.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Argonians are always the best choice. The history between the Dumner and Argonians is so hosed up that Mr. Scale-Rot McCrocface being a resurrected Dumner god is far too good an opportunity to pass up.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

SunAndSpring posted:

You're an outlander too, you shithead. You came in on a loving boat and walk your gay-rear end Imperialized walk and talk in your whiny Imperial talk and you think you can say, "I'm a native Dunmer!"? gently caress you. Please remove all these loving n'wahs, Dagoth Ur.

Fuckin N'Wahs ruining housing values.

If the internet existed in Morrowind Dagoth Ur would run Stormfront

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dr. Lenin posted:

Fuckin N'Wahs ruining housing values.

If the internet existed in Morrowind Dagoth Ur would run Stormfront

If the internet existed in Morrowind there would only be one website. Fetlife.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If the internet existed in Morrowind there would only be one website. Fetlife.

"Dominant Bosmer looking for submissive Nord to reenact the Wild Hunt of King Borgas"

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

"Dominant Bosmer looking for submissive Nord to reenact the Wild Hunt of King Borgas"

"suran, cuck, scaly, couch, sujamma momma"

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i guess i'll install this gay game again because i have no self control or will to live

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Blue Raider posted:

"suran, cuck, scaly, couch, sujamma momma"

im imagining fargoth saying these things

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

Your Athletics sucks. Get the boots of speed like people are saying or save up to buy a few levels from a trainer.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Can't get enough of Bosmers looking up at me from waist height and yapping in their twerpy little voices

From where do you hail?

No but seriously I want someone to smoke like three packs a day and just follow me around saying "muthsera..."

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 16, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Can't get enough of Bosmers looking up at me from waist height and yapping in their twerpy little voices

From where do you hail?

No but seriously I want someone to smoke like three packs a day and just follow me around saying "muthsera..."

Favorite lines (said in my head in gravelly elf voice)

Why walk when you can ride?

Yes, outlander, how can I help you?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Unguided posted:

Your Athletics sucks. Get the boots of speed like people are saying or save up to buy a few levels from a trainer.

Athletics doesn't make you move faster. It makes you fatigue slower. And it levels Endurance, not Speed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

protip to combat slowness: press q to autorun, smoke weed

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 16, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Always install Tamriel Rebuilt. Always.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
i just started a new character based on suggestions by this thread (medium armor/spear/jumpy argonian) got chased down by some poo poo and tried to hide in a dunmer stronghold, but it ended up warping me to a cave with no immediate exit. proceeded to jump on top of things and spam fireballs at everyone til i got through. one of them took like 5 minutes and was apparently the master enchant trainer :v:

basically it was intense as hell cause i was level one and morrowind owns that's my story

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Athletics doesn't make you move faster. It makes you fatigue slower. And it levels Endurance, not Speed.

Guess it has been too long since I've played.

• Locked thread