Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Lithuanians who removed my relative from his mayoralty actually managed to reform the Romuva faith. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Lithuanians who removed my relative from his mayoralty actually managed to reform the Romuva faith. :stare:

I love when the AI reforms a religion. I just feel like "good for them :unsmith:"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I love when the AI reforms a religion. I just feel like "good for them :unsmith:"

I think it's cool that this one character from my dynasty and his related stories has completely upstaged my Basque Hispania.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In my game I managed conquer almost the entirety of the Roman Empire's old borders + Scandinavia. I merged my own Brittania title with the Byzantine Empire and just gave_title the Roman Empire to the current ruler and blew up the Byzantine and Brittania title. It turns out you can't reform the Roman Empire as the Norse faith so i had to employ a work around. From there I've switched to observe and now I'm watching how the world plays out. Bavaria, Hungary and Bohemia all switched to Cathar and have now supplanted Catholicism. Catholics consist of two duchies in Spain. Romuva reformed under Lithuania but they're breaking apart. Orthodox controls two counties in the Balkans because they're with The Bulgarian Band who took them a century or two back.

The Karlings literally returned from a single woman to maybe a dozen or so dynasty members and took control of Bavaria.

The empires explode so nicely when you go into Observe mode for 30 years.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 16, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey yesterday I downloaded a couple unit packs because why the heck not, and now I'm getting the black dynasty shield bug and rebels aren't declaring rebellions and generating a leader character anymore. It just says peasants have rebelled in X. It's almost like going back to a previous version. What happened?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey yesterday I downloaded a couple unit packs because why the heck not, and now I'm getting the black dynasty shield bug and rebels aren't declaring rebellions and generating a leader character anymore. It just says peasants have rebelled in X. It's almost like going back to a previous version. What happened?

Verify the game files would be my first course of action.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Me too, but all files successfully validated.

What's the current checksum?

Turning the unit packs off and deleting the gfx folder does nothing.

Oh and the retinue menu has been grayed out for years now. Can't select the tab. Is that normal?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 16, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Me too, but all files successfully validated.

What's the current checksum?

Turning the unit packs off and deleting the gfx folder does nothing.

Oh and the retinue menu has been grayed out for years now. Can't select the tab. Is that normal?

Sounds like your DLC isn't even activated. Check the content menu and see what that says.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The game was working fine until I downloaded those DLCs yesterday.

I don't know what the content menu is.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just redownload the whole thing again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

3% done when you posted that. :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

3% done when you posted that. :v:

Yeah it usually does the trick for me.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

And then the Golden Horde reforms Tengri and I cannot stop screaming.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Ofaloaf posted:

And then the Golden Horde reforms Tengri and I cannot stop screaming.

Anyone at all reforming Tengri triggers that reaction from me, since even if you wipe out the religion centuries before the Mongols even arrive, they'll still end up converting to it and Tribal Invading their way to the Atlantic.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
What a fun EUIV game that would make: Mega-Mongolia vs the World.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Excelzior posted:

Correct, you'll get the refusal "Cannot Grant more than one Duchy or Kingdom to a Theocracy" (their religious head title counting as the first)
poo poo, I can't even give him duchies? I wanted to give all of Italy to the Pope :(

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

nutranurse posted:

One of these days I want to engineer a scenario in which Europe ends up divided between the Mongols and the Aztecs and then converting to EU4, for a Renaissance Cold War without any nukes to dissuade people from turning it hot. :getin:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One other thing: it's giving me NEW DLC Sons of Abraham despite me owning it.

Retinues tab is still greyed out. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Reinstalling doesn't appear to have fixed anything. I have to run the game for a bit to see if rebellions are still behaving like they did in older versions.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 16, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh man I almost have the count to emperor in one guy achievement, come on baby tomorrow be lucky.

Also any chance of a new thread this one is getting very very bloated, or when india comes out?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

One other thing: it's giving me NEW DLC Sons of Abraham despite me owning it.

Retinues tab is still greyed out. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Restart steam.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ffffffff. No wonder it was like playing an earlier version.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I seem to have bred super-fertility into my line all of a sudden.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Landsknecht posted:

A really good 867 start is the count of nantes. You're norse, you start with about 2.5k event troops, and within about 20-30 years you can form the kingdom of brittany, which is pretty good, then convert to catholicism (because of all the catholics surrounding you).

I prefer to stay Norse and jump on Ireland. You can take the entire kingdom with the event troops usually, then nibble around wales / Wessex etc until you man up and subjugate England. Just don't create a new level x title until you're prepared to move up a level and bobs your uncle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CapnAndy posted:

I seem to have bred super-fertility into my line all of a sudden.

Did you just switch to Grey Eminences? They get a fairly sizable fertility bonus, although not as big as Midas-Touched IIRC.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did you just switch to Grey Eminences? They get a fairly sizable fertility bonus, although not as big as Midas-Touched IIRC.
No, I've been breeding for smarts since day 1. All of a sudden I'm just swimming in kids, it's sorta awesome.

Incidentally:

It's 1350. I think conquering Europe is a reasonable goal for my last hundred years, don't you?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Agnostalgia posted:

Mongol's horse archers are dangerous because they have a cultural tactic that forces battle back into the skirmish phase--in which archers have the highest attack of any unit.

I've read mentions of "cultural tactics" but have never found a decent explanation of them. What are they, how do they work, why do they matter, and most importantly, how do I know they're working? I've never noticed cultural tactics on the battle screens :-S

I've seen this but it isn't particularly helpful apart from summarizing what's out there:
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics#Cultural_Specific_Tactics

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

alcaras posted:

I've read mentions of "cultural tactics" but have never found a decent explanation of them. What are they, how do they work, why do they matter, and most importantly, how do I know they're working? I've never noticed cultural tactics on the battle screens :-S

I've seen this but it isn't particularly helpful apart from summarizing what's out there:

Eligibility allows a commander to use a tactic, Weight is how likely a given general is to use a tactic, Modifiers (when fulfilled) increase the chance of that tactic being used, and Affinity is a bonus that the tactic gains against the listed tactics (think rock/paper/scissors). Cultural tactics are just special tactics that can only be initiated by generals of the appropriate culture, and that are usually pretty powerful.

In theory, it's possible to select generals and build your army composition in such a way as to maximize good tactics, but in practice you aren't going to be able to all that often, either because of limited control of troop types or because of limited generals. Basically, rules to know are as follows:

1. Prioritize generals with combat traits, unless they have very low Martial or the trait in question is useless for your army composition (Heavy Infantry Leader on a Horse Archer stack, for instance).
2. If you have a good Cultural Tactic (Altaic culture group, North Germanic culture group, Byzantine culture group, Scottish, Italian, English, Welsh, Frankish, Occitan, Norman, German, or Breton), try to use generals of that same culture along with cultural retinues.
3. Try to focus on limited troop types when possible in order to maximize bonuses at any given time.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

alcaras posted:

In battle, a flank leader will randomly pick from all the tactics available to them to use for a given phase. The likelihood of each one depends on the weight given. Higher weight=more likely. The only people able to use cultural specific tactics, are those of the chosen culture.

Gaming the tactics menu only really apply to retinues. You don't control what your levies are made up of, and the only real choice you get is whether to include cavalry in your capital duchy levies. Cavalry tactics tend to be very poor. The other thing to keep notice of though, is your commander traits. Beyond good martial attributes, having traits like brave or possessed(!) can be enormously beneficial. And given a choice, I will never put someone with slothful, shy or craven in charge of a flank.

With your retinues though, you can game the system and try and get the more powerful tactics to be more likely. This is mainly common sense stuff, like putting cavalry retinues combined into a single flank, so they trigger the cavalry specific tactics, while the infantry do infantry specific ones. If you're in the mood to really optimize, you can pay attention to light infantry/heavy infantry ratios to enable and disable specific tactics. This is only really going to be worth it for major battles though. But if you're in a major battle, you're also probably going to be throwing in your levies, rather than just retinues, so the ratios will all be a mangled mess. Welp.

Cultural specific tactics tend to be stronger, and relate strongly to the cultural specific retinue unit. Not all cultures get a culture specific tactic. Some of them are game breakingly powerful. The Altaic Retreat and Ambush tactic brings the flank back to the skirmish phase, where only archers, horse archers and light horse get to play... meaning that the majority of levy armies with their infantry focus will be almost worthless. It can let a much smaller force defeat a much larger one. The Scottish Shiltrom tactic is possibly even stronger, making the already formidably defensive pikemen almost immortal, and if you're an Italian Doge it is well worth keeping a stable of Scottish generals on hand to use with your pike retinues. The English and Welsh Massive Longbow Volley in conjunction with a large archer army effectively smashes the opponent to smithereens in the skirmish phase. The other cultural specific tactics are all good, but less insanely good.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

nutranurse posted:

Look man it's an achievement I don't have a problem

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How do flanks end up working when you have two or more armies join a fight? The screen only shows 3 flanks at once, does everything get combined into 3 flanks for a fight, and if so, how does it determine which ones or who leads?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Is that a free Azerbaijan in the direct middle of the Mongol Continent? Those wonderful bastards. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

grancheater posted:

Look man it's an achievement I don't have a problem

Now go make Mongol-America, ride those horses across the sea!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Now go make Mongol-America, ride those horses across the sea!

That'll be impossible, they don't trust water their horses can't drink :colbert:.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hellsjudge posted:

That'll be impossible, they don't trust water their horses can't drink :colbert:.

Easy, just build a bridge so that they can simply ride to America.

A bridge of corpses. :unsmigghh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

hellsjudge posted:

Horses will evolve with kidneys to drink sea water. That's how evolution works.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Has anybody noticed less heresies in general ever since SOA? Maybe this is just how it's been turning out in my games, but I think crusades tend to succeed more than before, resulting in higher Moral Authority for the church, resulting in less heresies.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Has anybody noticed less heresies in general ever since SOA? Maybe this is just how it's been turning out in my games, but I think crusades tend to succeed more than before, resulting in higher Moral Authority for the church, resulting in less heresies.

Didn't 'Rejoin Parent Religion' only get added since SoA? That could be responsible for part of it, at least.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Undead Hippo posted:

The English and Welsh Massive Longbow Volley in conjunction with a large archer army effectively smashes the opponent to smithereens in the skirmish phase. The other cultural specific tactics are all good, but less insanely good.

That was a good evaluation of the cultural tactics. The Massive Longbow Volley is crazy good in both having a giant base multiplier without any drawbacks at all and having an affinity against two other tactics types in the skirmish phase; a player is definitely very likely to rattle off that entire 720% bonus in battle and it will hurt. Likewise the Schiltron Formation, as you said, gets both a giant defense and large offense bonus almost without drawback for the biggest combined change in combat %.

Other cultural tactics like Couched Lance Charge/Embolon Charge Formation/etc may look impressive at first (and they are if you've ever watched the tactics roll out and seen a cavalry flank Lance Charge an advance), but they're also not significantly better than the parent tactics that are available to everyone.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

How can I get a sum of how many troops are in the selected boats? Do I just have to add it all up by hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

alcaras posted:

Put simply, at the beginning of a battle, each flank chooses a "tactic", which gives modifiers or effects to the flank depending on the tactic, usually strengthening some unit types and weakening others. Each tactic lasts a certain number of days, and when a tactic expires, the flank picks a new one. During a battle, every flank is using a tactic at all times - you can see the current tactic and its effects by mousing over the icon above or below the little tombstone and window showing how much damage the flank is taking. Tactics aren't chosen randomly, but are determined based on a wide number of criteria, such as the flank's unit composition, the flank leader's martial attribute and combat traits, and the flank leader's culture. Tactics that depend on a leader's culture are particularly widely liked, because they tend to give an absurd buff to one particular type of unit (which is usually the type that dominates their culture-specific retinue) and it's easy for players to set up a retinue composition that meets those requirements.

For example, if a flank's leader is English or Welsh, they have a chance (which increases if the leader has a sufficient Martial score and the flank is composed mostly of archers) of using the Massive Longbow Volley tactic during the Skirmish phase, which increases archers' attack power by 420% for the duration of the tactic. Perfect for the English/Welsh-only Longbow retinues, which are composed entirely of archers, but it'll work fine with the generic Skirmish retinues if you can get your hands on English/Welsh generals.

Parallax Scroll posted:

How can I get a sum of how many troops are in the selected boats? Do I just have to add it all up by hand?

If you hit the button with two arrows pointing at each other, it'll combine all the fleets into one and display the total troop count on all the ships (this doesn't combine the armies, it keeps them separate and still lets you select them separately).

• Locked thread