Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
I'm trying to set up a NST Diet server for me and my friends to play on, and every time I launch the server it shows all the mod items in NEI but none of them work. The console says that no items exist for their ids. I've tried reuploading everything, I tried using the forge universal server install tool and doing it manually with the server jar, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone give me the idiot-proof rundown on how to get this working? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but it's driving me nuts right now.

eta: Nevermind, figured it out. I was selecting the vanilla server jar instead of the forge server jar. That'll do it, I guess.

KimJongUnstoppable fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am finally started to hollow out and set up the work site for my undersea dome using (mostly) NST 1.6 (added enchantment plus and switched the mapping mod). This means migrating a lot of gear and setting up a respectable workshop instead of cramming poo poo into a mud hut. I have some questions on using big boy tools.

What's an optimal ore grinding setup? I have been smelting with the Tinker's Construct smeltery, which already has a 2x yield. I am close to having enough stuff to set up a respectable clear glass dumping rig with a second smeltery, but I could just get started now if I tore down my current one and merged it into the new parts I have. I am hearing things about different things that provide little bonuses and crap when grinding down ores, and it looks like nether ores are best serviced by grinding them down, so now I am looking into it with some seriousness.

How do I plan out a biofuel setup for powering a bunch of stuff going on underground? I have been setting up farming mostly to get the seeds for making magic crops, so I have a bunch of wheat left over. Right now, every harvest I can safely got a full 64 bales of hay (9 x 64 wheat) from what I have. What kind of stuff can I drive with that? I also have 8 heat pumps that give me a little help charging my power suits right now which I can throw into the mix.

I saw everybody going on about the AE storage. How should I do a mid-game setup? I am looking at something I know I'll want to move again, and I am getting fed up building more chests for random stuff. I'm also looking looking at something like mining out 500,000+ blocks from under the dome area where I want to setup all the workshops and such, so I need something better than, say, 300 chests. I was tempted to just get the basics set up next to each other and consolidate my current setup.

NST 1.6 answers:

Optimal ore grinding varies depending on needs/efforts.

1. TE3 pulverizers are the easy button and give you ore doubling + a little extra (% chances of a third dust of another metal type, ie sometimes copper ore gives you 2 copper dusts and 1 gold dust, but it always gives you the two copper dusts, or instead of another metal dust it'll give you cinnabar for redstone ore.)

2. TE3 also offers ore doubling via running ores with sand in an Induction Smelter, which yields slag/rich slag. Slag can be used to make rockwool, a flameproof wool duplicate, and rich slag (or cinnabar) can be used in place of the sand to smelt ores to yield tripling instead of doubling. Note for the induction smelter option you will need to provide unlimited sand somehow (TE3 has you covered here too; igneous extruder making cobble into a pulverizer will produce sand and small amounts of gravel forever.) Note you won't be getting a lot of rich slag or cinnabar, but it can still be worthwhile to save it to use with a specific high-need ore.

3. Mekanism allows straight up tripling at very high throughput, but this is a fairly complicated and costly setup better explained by someone else.

As for biofuel, what you really want are magical dye crops, as their product can give you enough different dyes to max out efficiency on MFR biofuel reactors. You'll want some kind of autocrafting (TE3 cyclic assemblers and/or a ME setup with a Molecular Assembly Chamber) to automate this. Having a lot of one single input (like your shitloads of hay) is not a good way to make biofuel; it is much better to have many different input types for max efficiency.

For immediately getting an ME setup for storage/automatically feeding machines you just need an ME controller, an ME drive, some drives for that, a way to power it, and cable and busses enough for your machines. I'd suggest building a Molecular Assembly chamber with at least one pattern storage so the thing could at least craft more bits of itself for convenience in expanding towards it handling all your autocrafting and logistical needs.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Would any of you be willing to help me with this Thaumcraft research?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. All the Thaumonomicon seems to say is you can't have more than one empty space between runes and you can't have inactive runes in the way of your connections. As far as I can tell that yellow rune should be activating that last node.

And what's the point of not letting us move active runes? Just seems like a way to make you grind more aspects and waste your time.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

You cannot split a path, your route must be a single line, no forks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Line Feed posted:

Would any of you be willing to help me with this Thaumcraft research?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. All the Thaumonomicon seems to say is you can't have more than one empty space between runes and you can't have inactive runes in the way of your connections. As far as I can tell that yellow rune should be activating that last node.

And what's the point of not letting us move active runes? Just seems like a way to make you grind more aspects and waste your time.

You can't split the path. As a matter of fact, that right there is an impossible theory unless there's a fourth aspect in it, which I doubt because there's generally the same number of nodes as there are active symbol types. I don't see any other unique symbols in the inactive runes either. Impossible theories can happen. Just toss the research notes for it and make a new one.

You can move active runes if you have Research Mastery research completed. Only 1 space at a time, though, and sometimes it deactivates that aspect. That can be useful though if the symbol is attached to a rare aspect and you'd rather spend ink rather than deactivate them by pushing another research point through.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Alrighty, thank you. Good to know I can stop wasting time on this theory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chairface posted:

NST 1.6 answers:

As for biofuel, what you really want are magical dye crops, as their product can give you enough different dyes to max out efficiency on MFR biofuel reactors. You'll want some kind of autocrafting (TE3 cyclic assemblers and/or a ME setup with a Molecular Assembly Chamber) to automate this. Having a lot of one single input (like your shitloads of hay) is not a good way to make biofuel; it is much better to have many different input types for max efficiency.

For immediately getting an ME setup for storage/automatically feeding machines you just need an ME controller, an ME drive, some drives for that, a way to power it, and cable and busses enough for your machines. I'd suggest building a Molecular Assembly chamber with at least one pattern storage so the thing could at least craft more bits of itself for convenience in expanding towards it handling all your autocrafting and logistical needs.

I didn't get to the storage tonight since I was short on nether quartz, and that started a huge tangent. Before hitting up the nether, I wanted to try to enchant some stuff and generally buff up. My portal is at the edge of a cliff, where above me is monster spawn death land. On the other hand, I think I'll be able to get to the magical dye you recommended sooner instead of later. I did another harvest of all my crap, and decided to look up applications of wheat again. That's when I ran into the SAG mill. I didn't know about that drat thing and how it could give me two seeds. So I was able to break down my hay bales into seeds, and from there to essence. I finally got the diamond seeds I wanted, followed by the ender seeds I wanted. I was looking at what to do next, and I guess dye would be a good thing.

It sounds like at best the thermal expansion gear may give me a better yield than 2x, as the other machines look like they only help with very specific ores.

I need to get some blaze rods. Are there any clever ways to run into them without finding a fortress in the Nether? When I did Hexxit, the Twilight Forest would come up with some crap that spawned blazes, but I couldn't tell if that was Hexxit-specific. I see there are some specific places you could get them there in the mod normally, but I think there was another mod generating little spots that shat out blazes for whatever reason. I suppose I have similar questions about getting necrotic bones and nether stars.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't get to the storage tonight since I was short on nether quartz, and that started a huge tangent. Before hitting up the nether, I wanted to try to enchant some stuff and generally buff up. My portal is at the edge of a cliff, where above me is monster spawn death land. On the other hand, I think I'll be able to get to the magical dye you recommended sooner instead of later. I did another harvest of all my crap, and decided to look up applications of wheat again. That's when I ran into the SAG mill. I didn't know about that drat thing and how it could give me two seeds. So I was able to break down my hay bales into seeds, and from there to essence. I finally got the diamond seeds I wanted, followed by the ender seeds I wanted. I was looking at what to do next, and I guess dye would be a good thing.

It sounds like at best the thermal expansion gear may give me a better yield than 2x, as the other machines look like they only help with very specific ores.

I need to get some blaze rods. Are there any clever ways to run into them without finding a fortress in the Nether? When I did Hexxit, the Twilight Forest would come up with some crap that spawned blazes, but I couldn't tell if that was Hexxit-specific. I see there are some specific places you could get them there in the mod normally, but I think there was another mod generating little spots that shat out blazes for whatever reason. I suppose I have similar questions about getting necrotic bones and nether stars.

MFR makes any mob drop easy. Grab one of whatever mob you want drops from with a reusable safari net and use a spawner & grinder setup somewhere with some other mob essence input (you don't get enough essence back from the grinding to cover the spawning.) Good ways to get a bunch of mob essence for this would be to set up a grinder next to an existing mob spawner (the cage kind you find out in the world) or move such a spawner to somewhere you have a grinder via Soul Shards2 stuff or a PortaSpawner (costs a nether star) or to have a grinder grind pigs/cows/chickens/sheep thrown into a pen by a MFR Chronotyper after being reproduced with a MFR Breeder. If you only need a little you can also disenchant stuff via MFR for the mob essence, throw potions of enchanting onto an MFR sewer, etc. Note that in the case of a Wither Skeleton you'll have to use the "EXACT COPY" option on the spawner, which costs more essence, or you'll get a regular Skeleton instead of a Wither one.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think I went overboard on mine. I teleported 4 witch spawners into this dungeon to feed my auto-spawning emerald farm :ohdear:

On the other hand I'll never want for redstone, glowstone, spider eyes, sticks or glass bottles again. Those witches have a bunch of junk in their pockets.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think I went overboard on mine. I teleported 4 witch spawners into this dungeon to feed my auto-spawning emerald farm :ohdear:

On the other hand I'll never want for redstone, glowstone, spider eyes, sticks or glass bottles again. Those witches have a bunch of junk in their pockets.

You're a monster. Some kind of Joseph Mengele-Rube Goldberg hybrid monster. You aren't planning on building a set of various themed robots to do whatever the hell Dr. Wily was always trying to do, are you?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sultan Tarquin posted:

On our server we just have a desert Age that generated with lakes of liquid emerald.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

GotLag posted:

On our server we just have a desert Age that generated with lakes of liquid emerald.

You mean you don't kill any villagers at all? What's the point of that!

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a way to maximize apple production with BoP apple saplings? It looks like a block of leaves grows one apple then stops

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

"I'm melting! Melting! Oh what a world! What a world!"

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So Ars Magica 2 was working last night with Hexxit, but today it's giving me a crash report:
http://pastebin.com/cBr1XGPn

So I am trying to figure out what, if anything changed between yesterday and today.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So Ars Magica 2 was working last night with Hexxit, but today it's giving me a crash report:
http://pastebin.com/cBr1XGPn

So I am trying to figure out what, if anything changed between yesterday and today.

I'm not sure what caused it but open up AM_POWER.cfg in the arsmagica folder in the config folder, and remove all instances of @ in it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a way in 1.6.4 to turn on cheats after the fact? I got the good old "teleported into a wall syndrome" poo poo that I used to get in Hexxit. I was checking on a mining bot that was digging out a chamber for me, and while flying out it sent me up into the rock in the cavern and just knocked me dead. So all my stuff is suspended somewhere in all that rock, and I lost all the means I'd normally have to extract it all out. I don't really want to because that's just frustrating bullshit, but what's more frustrating is having to turn on NEI cheats and rebuild the stuff on my suit, and reproduce all the items I had in my inventory as well. That just pisses me off to no end. I tried to go to the LAN game section and enable it there, but that didn't appear to work.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a way in 1.6.4 to turn on cheats after the fact? I got the good old "teleported into a wall syndrome" poo poo that I used to get in Hexxit. I was checking on a mining bot that was digging out a chamber for me, and while flying out it sent me up into the rock in the cavern and just knocked me dead. So all my stuff is suspended somewhere in all that rock, and I lost all the means I'd normally have to extract it all out. I don't really want to because that's just frustrating bullshit, but what's more frustrating is having to turn on NEI cheats and rebuild the stuff on my suit, and reproduce all the items I had in my inventory as well. That just pisses me off to no end. I tried to go to the LAN game section and enable it there, but that didn't appear to work.

Use NBTExplorer: open up the level.dat for your world and change allowCommands to 1.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
I deleted my config files, then all my steam turbines are replaced by fission reactors (atomic science), and when I try to change it back, the game crashes and give me this message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: Exception while updating neighbours

java.lang.ClassCastException: atomicscience.jiqi.TileTurbine cannot be cast to atomicscience.fission.reactor.TileFissionReactor

I tried blow it up using tnt, but the game crashes the moment it blows up, when I log back into the game the damage done by the tnt was reverted.
I tried take out the fission reactors 1 by 1 and crashes after each break.

How could I fix?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

delta534 posted:

I'm not sure what caused it but open up AM_POWER.cfg in the arsmagica folder in the config folder, and remove all instances of @ in it.

Cool, I just deleted AM_POWER.cfg and let it rebuild that and it works now.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Altran posted:

I deleted my config files, then all my steam turbines are replaced by fission reactors (atomic science), and when I try to change it back, the game crashes and give me this message:

Description: Exception while updating neighbours

java.lang.ClassCastException: atomicscience.jiqi.TileTurbine cannot be cast to atomicscience.fission.reactor.TileFissionReactor

I tried blow it up using tnt, but the game crashes the moment it blows up, when I log back into the game the damage done by the tnt was reverted.
I tried take out the fission reactors 1 by 1 and crashes after each break.

How could I fix?

kinda fixed it, relocated both their block ids to elsewhere and they disappeared in game!

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.

D34THROW posted:

$20/month Akliz server since none of my home computers are beefy enough to run more than a vanilla server. I have dynmap installed, might that be something to do with it? Or should I try to pregen the Nether or something?

I'm a little out of date with dynmap, but if you are making hires maps that can cause the issue. Go into dynmaps setitngs and disable it rendering on chunk generation, that should help the issue, but the map will be a bit slower to update, suggest running the render commands when you're done for the night so it goes and finishes thigns up while you sleep.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I actually tried Zan's minimap on the client since mapwriter caused an OOM error. Only reason I was using dynmap was as a hacky map thing to replace mapwriter, so now that Zan's is working, I just trashed dynmap. Down to 2% CPU usage consistently. Thanks, though!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a way to remove the limited durability from railcraft turbines? As I understand it there's a 1/200 chance every tick of it taking damage. What kind of work would be involved in loving with the .jar to change the damage chance to zero?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GotLag posted:

Is there a way to remove the limited durability from railcraft turbines? As I understand it there's a 1/200 chance every tick of it taking damage. What kind of work would be involved in loving with the .jar to change the damage chance to zero?

It should be as simple as finding the line in the code where it checks to damage the turbine and make it return a "Nope, no damage this time" result.

I dunno about deobfuscating the code or anything like that, though.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

GotLag posted:

Stuff like this is why we need a mod for all the mods that have durability on totally pointless things. Here are some I can think of off-hand.
1. Chisel
2. Carpenter's tools
3. Redstone Wand from Engineer's Toolbox

Just... why? The Chisel is literally a stick and an iron ingot. It's like the easiest thing to make, and the blocks it makes are, by design, simply for decoration. But if you use the chisel to change an already-placed block, it takes durability damage. Whyyyyyy....

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Balance, duh. Can't have an item do something without a cost!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sunblood posted:

Stuff like this is why we need a mod for all the mods that have durability on totally pointless things. Here are some I can think of off-hand.
1. Chisel
2. Carpenter's tools
3. Redstone Wand from Engineer's Toolbox

Just... why? The Chisel is literally a stick and an iron ingot. It's like the easiest thing to make, and the blocks it makes are, by design, simply for decoration. But if you use the chisel to change an already-placed block, it takes durability damage. Whyyyyyy....
Absolutely. The chisel really stands out, because chiseling blocks is free, but if you accidentally right click on a block that's already placed it loses durability (and often glitches out forcing a reconnect), so I always obsessively double check before chiseling that I'm just aiming at the sky. And the carpenter's tools are even worse, because it usually involves cycling options, so making the type of block/door/fence you want might take 5x the durability of getting an equally complex variant that you didn't one.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I'm getting back into playing Minecraft, and I've got a question about Tekkit. When I load up to the start screen, Tekkit says it's running Minecraft 1.5.2, but under the title I get the following message: NOTICE! Minecraft 1.6 is available for manual download. Please click here for more information. Is this supposed to upgrade the version of Minecraft Tekkit uses or what? I'd like to play something a little more modern than 1.5.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Use NBTExplorer: open up the level.dat for your world and change allowCommands to 1.

Thanks I was able to do that as well as just turn on keep inventory right then and there inside the program. By the time I built my super recovery suit and got my stuff collected, half of it was gone. Somehow it had all fallen onto the bedrock. I just don't get that. I'm stuck in rock and stuff and somehow all my stuff manages to free itself when I die.

I was wondering with NST 1.6: is there any ways to regularly acquire eyes of ender without having a run-in with a blaze? Also, what are some good agricultural implements? I notice various mods have tools to ease harvesting, which I really should have been using. Is there anything similar for spreading seeds?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I'm getting back into playing Minecraft, and I've got a question about Tekkit. When I load up to the start screen, Tekkit says it's running Minecraft 1.5.2, but under the title I get the following message: NOTICE! Minecraft 1.6 is available for manual download. Please click here for more information. Is this supposed to upgrade the version of Minecraft Tekkit uses or what? I'd like to play something a little more modern than 1.5.

Tekkit's mods aren't updated for 1.6.x, so even if you could update Minecraft manually, it would likely crash. I'd recommend finding a modpack designed for 1.6.4 if you want an updated Minecraft; I'm sure this thread could recommend one for you.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

NiftyBottle posted:

Tekkit's mods aren't updated for 1.6.x, so even if you could update Minecraft manually, it would likely crash. I'd recommend finding a modpack designed for 1.6.4 if you want an updated Minecraft; I'm sure this thread could recommend one for you.

I'd gladly take the recommendation. Honestly, if I could get a pack with a good minimap, treecapitator, the jetpacks, and maybe buildcraft I'd be pretty happy. Failing that, at least a minimap and treecapitator.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Absolutely. The chisel really stands out, because chiseling blocks is free, but if you accidentally right click on a block that's already placed it loses durability (and often glitches out forcing a reconnect), so I always obsessively double check before chiseling that I'm just aiming at the sky. And the carpenter's tools are even worse, because it usually involves cycling options, so making the type of block/door/fence you want might take 5x the durability of getting an equally complex variant that you didn't one.

At least with carpenters blocks you can disable the damage with a config option.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

I'd gladly take the recommendation. Honestly, if I could get a pack with a good minimap, treecapitator, the jetpacks, and maybe buildcraft I'd be pretty happy. Failing that, at least a minimap and treecapitator.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603757
This thread is Never Stop Toasting - Diet pack. It has no Railcraft, Buildcraft, or Forestry, but we have plenty of other mods to fill in the gaps and a very populated server. Current players online: 11. Come join :)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Rad, I'm giving that a try right now. Also, out of curiosity, why no BC/RC/Forestry?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rad, I'm giving that a try right now. Also, out of curiosity, why no BC/RC/Forestry?

Stagnant and laggy. There's a lot of newer stuff now that is better.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Taffer posted:

Stagnant and laggy. There's a lot of newer stuff now that is better.

Fair enough. I'll miss my quarry, though.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

No, you won't. Trust me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

I thought I'd miss treecap since it's not in attack of the b team pack but the axe you can make with tinkers construct is great and does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Huh. So, I downloaded NST-Diet for the Technic Launcher, threw Sphax BDCraft into the resource pack folder and activated it, and figured I was good to go. The game crashes when trying to build a new world, hanging up at the "building terrain" step, then gives me the "Minecraft has run out of memory" error. These are all new downloads, and I've got plenty of RAM on this machine. I also turned the distance render down to "normal" since I'm running 32 bit Java. I'm stumped.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 17, 2014

• Locked thread