Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Have another pearl of wisdom.

Lay a towel down at your workspace so you can shake out screws and not have a panic attack every time you hear the tak tak of a screw bouncing on the ground.

Also solder flux. That poo poo is real important if you ever decide your day to pick up a soldering iron and break poo poo has come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is the soldering comic in the OP? It should be in the OP.

And someone should post it again. :v:

And a "beginning soldering" kit. :v:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No, the soldering comic is bad. This series should be in the op because it addresses the necessity of flux and the sort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Who was the awesome Goon that made the English cover for XRGB remote? Are you still still around and do you still make them/have any left? I completely forgot about it.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I really should start up a wiki filled entirely with stuff you guys post, this poo poo is so helpful at times but gets lost in the abyss of the thread after a while.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ohnoitschris posted:

I really should start up a wiki filled entirely with stuff you guys post, this poo poo is so helpful at times but gets lost in the abyss of the thread after a while.

I've completely given up on finding the rings from lowes needed to fix my sega cd that was posted ages ago.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ohnoitschris posted:

Yes please do so I have somewhere to dump my Genesis overclocking guide.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ohnoitschris posted:

I don't know why we haven't created a wiki, yet. I have a couple book marks for some big posts like rom hacking and Neo Geo junk but we need a centralized source of reference.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ohnoitschris posted:

We have one, contribute! Give Saoshyant a poke to get an account setup.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let's repost it on wikia or some place guaranteed not to go down or be abandoned

You know ~goon projects~ and all

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Xik posted:

Who was the awesome Goon that made the English cover for XRGB remote? Are you still still around and do you still make them/have any left? I completely forgot about it.

That's fatpat268. If he doesn't respond in thread, he also sells them on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/XRGB-Mini-Framemeister-English-Remote-Translation-Overlay-/231052088477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cbc7149d

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just saw a weird bug playing Vegas Stakes for the SNES. I'm playing roulette while cleaning, someone asked me to buy their diamond. We haggled a bit, and the offer he accepted happened to be the exact amount of money I had. Out of money, game over. (I wasn't really paying attention.) So I start a new save with the same name as the previous one, and after the first spin someone offers to buy the diamond from the previous game! Turned out it was a fake, game says I lost $2700, but my money was unaffected (I hadn't spent the money in this game). Weird.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Xik posted:

It was fatpat

e: HELLA late :drat:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2014

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bing the Noize posted:

It was fatpat

Thanks folks!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I just saw a weird bug playing Vegas Stakes for the SNES. I'm playing roulette while cleaning, someone asked me to buy their diamond. We haggled a bit, and the offer he accepted happened to be the exact amount of money I had. Out of money, game over. (I wasn't really paying attention.) So I start a new save with the same name as the previous one, and after the first spin someone offers to buy the diamond from the previous game! Turned out it was a fake, game says I lost $2700, but my money was unaffected (I hadn't spent the money in this game). Weird.

You should switch to Super Caesar's Palace. I used to play that at my cousin's house and I would always spend ALL my money on 40-1 type horse bets.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Quidnose posted:

Someone should write up a list of common tools that are necessary for being a retrogamer because this thread is always like "oh just grab your torque NES screwdriver and hook up your multimeter" and I'm like :smith:

In the vein of things people have mentioned in regards to screws, I kept around a few old Altoids tins for that reason. Although what's even handier that I use now is getting those little plastic organizer cases like you can find in tool/craft/fishing supply shops. Great way to hold screws during a project or all kinds of spare little doodads. I have one that's basically for spare controller parts.

Also, no matter what you put yours screws in, writing down where they came from in a tiny scrap of paper to leave in with individual kinds is really helpful. (Or doing this for basically any random part or wire you have is kind of handy honestly.)

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think the only tip I can contribute is putting all your wires, controllers, accessories in gallon zip lock bags. Wire gremlins have never been able to thwart this technique and it's easy to find anything in a plastic bin.

I heard this tip long ago and I can vouch for it being great.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think the only tip I can contribute is putting all your wires, controllers, accessories in gallon zip lock bags. Wire gremlins have never been able to thwart this technique and it's easy to find anything in a plastic bin.

I can attest to these gremlins existing. I have all my cords/controllers neatly put away in drawers separated by system. And somehow my PS2 drawer is just a rat's nest now.

So, thanks for this.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If I have small parts I need to store I like to put them in index card sized envelopes. Lots of space to write on and you can stand them up in an index card box or whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yo Miyamoto, you're still using that Shinybow switch? Do you have your Genesis hooked up to it? Does it make this wobble?

Edit: Also, has anyone opened up a Bandridge switch? I need to open it up and maybe cut a trace.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 16, 2014

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
I've been really getting into the Parodius games lately. I'm not a huge fan of side scrolling shooters in general, but holy hell these games are so fun. It's really fun to get drunk with your friends and just laugh at the insanity of it all.

Also, I have been searching for a 1chip SNES for the past few days. Mainly looking at "for parts only" auctions to try to get one for cheap. Hopefully I can find one soon and then hope it's an easy fix to bring it back to life. I'm getting tired of asking people on ebay for serial numbers.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yo Miyamoto, you're still using that Shinybow switch? Do you have your Genesis hooked up to it? Does it make this wobble?
I've got one of those. No wobbles here.

f-tron posted:

Also, I have been searching for a 1chip SNES for the past few days. Mainly looking at "for parts only" auctions to try to get one for cheap. Hopefully I can find one soon and then hope it's an easy fix to bring it back to life. I'm getting tired of asking people on ebay for serial numbers.
I've got one I'd be willing to sell. Let me know if you're interested.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
PM sent!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I loving love this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQbMtEIARL4

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Arcade update time!! This post is going to be image heavy, sorry:

I ended up taking my coin mechs apart and cleaning them, while I had them apart I decided to do something about the front plates which looked like this:

I sanded them down (80 -> 120 -> 400 grit), and then gave them a spray with the clear coat, made them look much better:

I wanted to do something similar with the serial number plates:

I've seen tutorial on how to reproduce them, but I didn't want to go through the expense and trouble to put fake serial number plates on the back of my cabinet that no one would ever see. Instead I took a sharpie and an exacto knife and colored in the scratches and the scraped out letters where I had too. They don't look perfect, but they're improved, still original, and I'm the only one that will probably ever notice them:

After that my monitor cap kit came in the mail. The monitor has already been discharged so I removed the boards, cleaned up the CRT tube, and then went through the process of desoldering capacitors, and then soldering in replacements one by one:

(the rubber band loom and unicorn journal in this one are my daughter's... I swear!)

I couldn't wait to get everything back together before seeing if I completely ruined my monitor, or made it better (first time doing a cap kit). So I plugged everything in while sitting on my floor to see the outcome. SUCCESS! I don't have a clear picture of the monitor on before it was re-capped, but it was dimmer, would squeeze in at the sides a bit, and only took up maybe 80% of the screen.

Somewhere in the middle of all those projects, the painting was completed

While waiting for my side art to come in, I dragged the cabinet back inside and reassembled everything besides the monitor (bolts have to go through the side art). The only challenge here was the t molding. My cabinet has offset t molding, this means it's not symmetrical, and shaped kinda like _|__. Only one person reproduces the stuff, and it was sold out and the guy never answered an email asking about when it would be back in stock, so I ended up getting oversized t molding and using a chisel to trim one side after it was installed.

Artwork finally came in this weekend and so here she is all done and put back in her permanent spot:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
That is beautiful. Great job.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

^^ That is absolutely beautiful. :allears:

On an unrelated note, I bought Fatpat's SNES repro stuff. :retrogames:

Edit: If nothing else this should make the next gift exchange more interesting. :getin:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 17, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

McCracAttack posted:

I've got one of those. No wobbles here.

Cool, thanks. But I fixed my issue with my Bandridge switch.

It was an issue I wasn't totally aware of until I added my NESRGB modded Twin Famicom into my AV chain plugged into the 5th SCART port on the switch. When I received a 1-Chip SNES from Acid AKA Bing the Noize (Thanks again by the way) yesterday and replaced my other SNES and powered it on, I noticed the power LED of the Twin Famicom was turning on too. Then I started turning on my other consoles to see the extent of the issue. LED lit up on when I powered on each console on their switched input. Even my X'Eye and Saturn wouldn't sync video when the Twin Famicom was plugged in. After some poking and prodding with a multimeter, I've come to find out the 5th port by design was pulling the 5 volts regardless if the switch port was active or not. So opened it up and cut a trace for the 5th switch and boom, everything works now.

Edit: Little update. So the way it's wired up is indeed intentionally designed. The port itself is marked as AV5/VCR which I thought was weird. After a bit of research, it appears the port is normally used for a VCR to record from the other inputs on the switch. Also, my setup includes a LM1881 circuit for sync cleaning. If you don't have that then you probably don't need to do what I did.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2014

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cool, thanks. But I fixed my issue with my Bandridge switch.

It was an issue I wasn't totally aware of until I added my NESRGB modded Twin Famicom into my AV chain plugged into the 5th SCART port on the switch. When I received a 1-Chip SNES from Acid AKA Bing the Noize (Thanks again by the way) yesterday and replaced my other SNES and powered it on, I noticed the power LED of the Twin Famicom was turning on too. Then I started turning on my other consoles to see the extent of the issue. LED lit up on when I powered on each console on their switched input. Even my X'Eye and Saturn wouldn't sync video when the Twin Famicom was plugged in. After some poking and prodding with a multimeter, I've come to find out the 5th port by design was pulling the 5 volts regardless if the switch port was active or not. So opened it up and cut a trace for the 5th switch and boom, everything works now.

Oh man! Would you believe I had the same issue with a Bandridge switch? Very similar: random power LEDs lighting up when other consoles were turned on and no video signal from my Dreamcast. Well done on sorting that one out!

Sounds like you were about to follow me down the same road if you were asking about a Shinybow switch. :cheeky:

That cabinet looks fantastic! Very well done!

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 17, 2014

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

McFunkerson posted:

Arcade update time!! This post is going to be image heavy, sorry:

I wanted to do something similar with the serial number plates:

I've seen tutorial on how to reproduce them, but I didn't want to go through the expense and trouble to put fake serial number plates on the back of my cabinet that no one would ever see. Instead I took a sharpie and an exacto knife and colored in the scratches and the scraped out letters where I had too. They don't look perfect, but they're improved, still original, and I'm the only one that will probably ever notice them:

They look great, but you should know that Sharpie ink turns purple with age. You'd be better off restoring them with a stencil and black spraypaint.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
McFunkerson, that is an awesome job. I still have a MAME cabinet I've been meaning to get to, but it's so time consuming. I remember being worried out of my mind that the flyback transformer was going to kill me. I made some weird thing with a knife that had a metal clip on it that you use to pull the suction cup away supposedly to discharge it. Never had the nerve to go poking around in there with a soldering iron, though.

One day though! I hope the CRT lasts by the time I get around to it. My home is a laundry-list of projects I 99% completed. It's the worst.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Also, has anyone opened up a Bandridge switch? I need to open it up and maybe cut a trace.

I know someone already responded but I never had a wobbly image with my Genesis. However, keep in mind I also have a 32x hooked up to it so that might skew things.

RZA Encryption posted:

This is awesome. I have a weird love for Vegas Stakes that I cannot explain.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Silhouette posted:

They look great, but you should know that Sharpie ink turns purple with age. You'd be better off restoring them with a stencil and black spraypaint.

Good to know. I only chose a sharpie because we had some and I thought it would be easy to blacken only the needed areas. Spray paint would be hard to control I'd think, not sure how I'd make a stencil like that.

I wonder if a clear coat would stop/slow the fading? I assume it's effected by uv light?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

McFunkerson, that is an awesome job. I still have a MAME cabinet I've been meaning to get to, but it's so time consuming. I remember being worried out of my mind that the flyback transformer was going to kill me. I made some weird thing with a knife that had a metal clip on it that you use to pull the suction cup away supposedly to discharge it. Never had the nerve to go poking around in there with a soldering iron, though.

One day though! I hope the CRT lasts by the time I get around to it. My home is a laundry-list of projects I 99% completed. It's the worst.

Thanks (and to the others who complimented as well). It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, specially being my first attempt at something like this. The CRT was definitely the scariest part. I ran a wire from a battery terminal clip (like from a pair of jumper cables, but smaller) and wrapped it around a flat head screw driver, I grounded the clip and then ran the flat head under the suction cup for the flyback. I did this while wearing rubber gloves, and then leather gloves over them. The pop it made wasn't that loud but it still scared the poo poo out of me. The CRT then sat, unplugged for like 2 weeks until I got the cap kit. From what a read after discharging it like that it should be good. After separating the circuit board from the rest of the unit it was just a matter of desoldering and soldering.

In total it was about 4 weeks of weekends and after work spare time to complete everything. My next project is going to be converting an icade into a MAME cabinet run off a raspberry pi. I bought the thing on sale for like $20, used it a few times, and it's sat unused ever since.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

McFunkerson posted:

In total it was about 4 weeks of weekends and after work spare time to complete everything. My next project is going to be converting an icade into a MAME cabinet run off a raspberry pi. I bought the thing on sale for like $20, used it a few times, and it's sat unused ever since.

Please describe this. What kind of screen fits perfectly inside an iCade?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Please describe this. What kind of screen fits perfectly inside an iCade?

An iPad sized one? Is this a trick question?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Install Windows posted:

An iPad sized one? Is this a trick question?

Not a trick question, I think you just misunderstood (or Miyamotos and I are both misinterpreting McFunkerson). McFunkerson said the project would involve using an iCade and a Raspberry Pi. Which implies no iPad, which means there will need to be a screen of some sort that will fit into the iCade shell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xik posted:

Not a trick question, I think you just misunderstood (or Miyamotos and I are both misinterpreting McFunkerson). McFunkerson said the project would involve using an iCade and a Raspberry Pi. Which implies no iPad, which means there will need to be a screen of some sort that will fit into the iCade shell.

Right. They sell iPad sized screens to use. And there's even ripping a working LCD out of a broken iPad. On top of that, close to iPad sized displays like this also fit: http://www.amazon.com/PLVW10IW-10-4-Inch-In-Wall-Mount-Monitor/dp/B00118EM1S

(As you've probably seen if you've used an iCade, there's a decent amoutn of buffer space around an iPad placed in it, 10.x inch widescreen LCDs will usually fit in snugly)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

That's pretty cool. I guess I had just assumed that specialised LCD's like that would be crazy expensive and not really in the price range of a small project like the one mentioned.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Install Windows posted:

Right. They sell iPad sized screens to use. And there's even ripping a working LCD out of a broken iPad. On top of that, close to iPad sized displays like this also fit: http://www.amazon.com/PLVW10IW-10-4-Inch-In-Wall-Mount-Monitor/dp/B00118EM1S

(As you've probably seen if you've used an iCade, there's a decent amoutn of buffer space around an iPad placed in it, 10.x inch widescreen LCDs will usually fit in snugly)

Ripping a working LCD out of an iPad sounds cool but how does that provide video inputs?

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the GBC frontlight mod using the GBA SP frontlight?

I saw this guide http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=94 but saw that there will be a fair bit of frontlight extra below the screen, and I have a atomic purple (clear) GBC and that will be fairly undesirable.

I then saw this guide http://www.mylkstuff.com/page40.htm where they complain about the angle you have to use to avoid getting a washed out image with the traditional mod, and instead cut the frontlight to be mounted in the correct orientation (half-way down page).

For those that have done the front-light mod - is the wash-out that bad? Shall I attempt the second method?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

McFunkerson posted:

After that my monitor cap kit came in the mail. The monitor has already been discharged so I removed the boards, cleaned up the CRT tube, and then went through the process of desoldering capacitors, and then soldering in replacements one by one:

(the rubber band loom and unicorn journal in this one are my daughter's... I swear!)

I have serious respect for you for doing monitor repair because I know what that entails.

One day I want to know to fix vector monitors but it's probably too late to learn :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://nintendoeverything.com/a-look-at-some-snes-cd-rom-documents-including-specs/

SNES CD-ROM specs. Seems pretty awesome.

What was cut from Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2 anyhow?

• Locked thread