Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It's a cool side effect, sure. It just mostly makes me feel bad that 14-year-old me couldn't even beat Snowy Granius. The most climactic epic journey ever of conquering an old foe now reduced to "just walk over there and strafe a couple times".

As a first time player, there does seem to be a degree of cheesing involved in fighting anything above "slumdog with a knife." Even then, I had to lure a Dream Prophet into the water where she couldn't get out and throw rocks at her for ten minutes to avoid being obliterated. I don't know how I'm going to manage fighting in the future, especially when I get chased out of every shrine I peek into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Well since I probably have to reinstall morrowind I might as well ask this: one of my favourite mods was and is the farmer mod, adds a minor guild to join and lets you purchase, run and upgrade several different farms and plantations in the ascadian isles. It's only an .esp too, but with MGSO I has this problem where it added grass to the hills that were furrowed into fields, so you'd have farmland and hovering grass above it. Is there a way to clean that up?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

As a first time player, there does seem to be a degree of cheesing involved in fighting anything above "slumdog with a knife." Even then, I had to lure a Dream Prophet into the water where she couldn't get out and throw rocks at her for ten minutes to avoid being obliterated. I don't know how I'm going to manage fighting in the future, especially when I get chased out of every shrine I peek into.

As long as you're leveling combat skills, the game will gradually become more easy. Hostile NPCs and most mobs are all hand-placed; there's no constantly scaling enemies like in Oblivion or the scaling between a certain level range of mobs like in Skyrim. One of the most satisfying aspects (to me, at least) about Morrowind is that if you go dungeon delving and the bandits/cultists/daedra are too tough, you can always come back in 10 levels and just kick their rear end for killing you in the past. If you're having a tough time somewhere, just leave and come back when you're more powerful. Even without exploiting alchemy, you will eventually become strong enough to easily beat anything besides one or two NPCs. You start off as a weak little scrub, but eventually you'll be smacking around gods.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel bad about exploiting alchemy. I should probably just throw out all my potions.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

Well since I probably have to reinstall morrowind I might as well ask this: one of my favourite mods was and is the farmer mod, adds a minor guild to join and lets you purchase, run and upgrade several different farms and plantations in the ascadian isles. It's only an .esp too, but with MGSO I has this problem where it added grass to the hills that were furrowed into fields, so you'd have farmland and hovering grass above it. Is there a way to clean that up?

Don't run the grass for that whole region (ascadian isles as a whole), personally modify the grass mod(which is awful), or re-run distant land with and without ascadian isles grass whenever you want to deal with that mod.

It's actually "AllowYesToAll=1" which turns the cancel button into a "yestoall" button.
VVVVVVV

mbt fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 16, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there a mod to suppress those error messages so I don't have to deal with them on every start up?

No mod, but I think you can add a line to Morrowind.ini that adds a Cancel button to that dialog. Then you press Cancel the first time that box pops up and the game loads without spitting out more error messages. It doesn't fix the underlying problem though.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

So I installed that Julan Ashlander mod since some people in this thread recommended it(the new areas/quests it adds are super incredibly obnoxious and awful mostly but I'm okay with everything else), and I got to the part where Julan runs off into that egg mine or whatever and I'm pretty sure I've found where he's supposed to be, except he isn't there? I've tried no clipping around to see if he fell through the floor or is hiding in a wall or whatever and can't find him. I've also tried resetting the actors but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

http://pastebin.com/GnH6zBaL This is my load order.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to get this set up correctly by following the OP. Is this step required if you're running a new version of Windows with later .net framework (which I believe includes old versions)? If so, which version is the "right" version for Windows 8?

quote:

4. Download and install both .NET Framework 2.0 (make sure you get the right version) and DirectX 9.0c.

VVV Thanks.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 16, 2014

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Wait... I thought I removed that step.

Don't worry about it, you can ignore it and continue on.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Krowley posted:

Is there some reason why Wrye Mash isn't reading the esp load order within my save games correctly?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a hosed up mod setup so I can get back to playing my game but whenever I go to the save tab to see the how things were sorted before it just shows me the current load order.

Got a bit of an update for this. I still don't know why Wrye Mash wouldn't restore my original load order from my saved lists. Re-running MLOX wasn't very useful either.

Anyway, I opened up my savegame in notepad and found my load order in there, hidden inbetween weird computer symbols. Then I just cleaned it up in a separate notepad file and manually adjusted stuff after that.

Now my save files are purple again, which apparently indicates perfect sync.

The game still crashes on start though (it did this for another new game i started too), so I might still need a re-install and re-build of my mod setup.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Mortimer posted:

Don't run the grass for that whole region (ascadian isles as a whole), personally modify the grass mod(which is awful), or re-run distant land with and without ascadian isles grass whenever you want to deal with that mod.

Eh. I'll just deal with the floating grass.

Does anyone have a link to the tea mod?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

garth ferengi posted:

So I installed that Julan Ashlander mod since some people in this thread recommended it(the new areas/quests it adds are super incredibly obnoxious and awful mostly but I'm okay with everything else), and I got to the part where Julan runs off into that egg mine or whatever and I'm pretty sure I've found where he's supposed to be, except he isn't there? I've tried no clipping around to see if he fell through the floor or is hiding in a wall or whatever and can't find him. I've also tried resetting the actors but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

Julan is unique in that it requires a bit of reading dialogue to further anything, so try talking to Julan's mother/gf

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Quantumfate posted:

Does anyone have a link to the tea mod?

It's in the OP in the goon-made mod section.

By the way, while we're on the subject: if anyone has a mod they'd like me to add to the recommended mod section of the OP, post it here in the thread. I saw a bunch in the thread during the past week but didn't get a chance to put them in and won't be able to find all of them.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 16, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Now I just feel loving dumb :saddowns:

EDIT: I recommend the farmer mod. It's a fun little farming simulator. You choose what to plant, and upgrade from a small shack to a big walled off dren style plantation. You can either be a racist shitheel and get slaves to harvest your crops or hire workers, defend the occasional bandit attack, and move up in the world for selling off your crops for loads of money.

http://mwmodders.com/farmermod.html

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 16, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Mods for the OP

Morrowind Abodes pack: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=166 The Balmora one might conflict with mods that add to change balmora, since the hill the house is on is a popular site for additions, but the rest are fine.

Book Rotate: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1230 I have no idea why this wasn't in the op already, its practically necessary in order to play.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

edit: Nevermind, it fixed itself somehow. I'm so confused.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 16, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So I get a warning that furn_de_table_03.nif is missing whenever I go into a cell that has it and get the missing object block in its place, even though the .nif file is right where it should be, in meshes/f/ :confused:

Any ideas? Since I'm all modded up with MGSO and other stuff would it hurt to verify files through steam?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

So I get a warning that furn_de_table_03.nif is missing whenever I go into a cell that has it and get the missing object block in its place, even though the .nif file is right where it should be, in meshes/f/ :confused:

Any ideas? Since I'm all modded up with MGSO and other stuff would it hurt to verify files through steam?

I've run into this problem too, and ironically I believe the solution was to delete the file. But don't quote me on it, Google has the true answer, I am sure.

Edit: Yep, I was right. Delete (or remove and backup) the file and see if that works for you.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 16, 2014

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

garth ferengi posted:

Makes me feel better to know that other people in this thread use Julan, I know it's basically making GBS threads all over the lore or whatever, but goddrat Morrowind is a lonely game without him. :unsmith: Did you get into that room properly, by using the ring on the ghost and everything? Unless you have another companion mod running that I didn't notice in your load order, that "Argh!" in the screenshot seems like it has to be coming from Julan, so he must be in there somewhere.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I definitely got in there legitimately, and talked to everyone I could possibly talk to.

I actually ended up fixing it by spawning in a completely new Julan(base skills/attributes and everything), talking to him so he would take his ring back and advance the quest stages, and then using my ring to summon the real Julan before deleting the false Julan with the console. Probably a bad star trek episode's plot or something

e: Despite the mostly terrible writing and awful new areas/quests, I really like Julan

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 16, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Book Rotate: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1230 I have no idea why this wasn't in the op already, its practically necessary in order to play.

What's the big deal with the stuff rotate mods? Other than preventing things from stacking in the inventory, what does it do that's so useful when you store your loot in containers?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rhjamiz posted:

Edit: Yep, I was right. Delete (or remove and backup) the file and see if that works for you.

Haha what the hell, that did the trick alright. Something is missing...clearly therefore, it should be removed!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Right, gently caress it, reinstalling Morrowind. Any good new mods (particularly quests) that have come out in the last two years or so?

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Right, gently caress it, reinstalling Morrowind. Any good new mods (particularly quests) that have come out in the last two years or so?

Tamriel Rebuilt is always slowly updating, and they've added some new areas in the last couple of years. Other than that, I really don't know.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I'm getting a bunch of errors like "Cell "Ald Redaynia" not found for dialogue type Topic Info "EMPTY"" coming off Uvirith's Legacy 3.2. Anyone know what's up with this? I've just been ignoring them and the game seems fine, but I haven't really gotten into any of that mod's content yet.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I'm really happy about how much action this thread is seeing lately. I keep coming back to 10, 20 new posts per day and that's awesome.

I'm currently attempting to find some sort balance in a new version of my mod compilation, but I'm playing on an ultrabook so it's pretty graphically light so far. Planet Elder Scrolls seems to be dying, so I hope I can find all the mods I need before it goes away.

Any new version of my modpack that comes out will have unchanged .esp names, so it will work with mlox out of the box.

Biggest hurdle so far is that GCDLean seems to crash my game every time I get a skill up :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Which version of GCDLean did you install?

For ~~THE OP: Propylons updates the official master index plugin and basically makes it better and way more useful.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Which version of GCDLean did you install?

For ~~THE OP: Propylons updates the official master index plugin and basically makes it better and way more useful.

I installed version 2.04 of GCDLean. As far as I can tell it's the newest version, but you never know with that mod.

I'd been testing an alternative leveling plugin called 'Dynamic Leveling' which seemed nice because it incorporated both state-based HP and magicka regeneration, but it seemed iffy -- the level up notice says 'You should rest and meditate what you have learned'. I then rested and did not gain a level. GCD, for all its criticisms, is really the most streamlined mod. I had troubles with the 1.08 version that was included in my second modpack, so finding a new, smoother version that works out of the box would be a godsend.

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 16, 2014

Noirex
May 30, 2006

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

These are some of the quest mods I'm enjoying now -

Scourge of The Lich Father

Illuminated Order

Twin Lamps

LichCraft2

Uvirith's Legacy

Rise of House Telvanni

The Black Mill

The Undergound

The Underground 2

Haldenshore

Harvesters

The Black Queen Chronicles

The White Wolf Of The Lokken Mountain

Blades Quest: Prophecy of the Lost Heir

A whole bunch of quest mods are listed here, go browse.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What's the legal sitch on OpenMW? Bethesda have any reason/ability to shut it down?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Oggumogoggum posted:

I installed version 2.04 of GCDLean. As far as I can tell it's the newest version, but you never know with that mod.

I'd been testing an alternative leveling plugin called 'Dynamic Leveling' which seemed nice because it incorporated both state-based HP and magicka regeneration, but it seemed iffy -- the level up notice says 'You should rest and meditate what you have learned'. I then rested and did not gain a level. GCD, for all its criticisms, is really the most streamlined mod. I had troubles with the 1.08 version that was included in my second modpack, so finding a new, smoother version that works out of the box would be a godsend.

Here is the latest and greatest version of GCD Lean, with all the script fixes and poo poo.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

So, does anyone have any tips on how to rescue a savegame?

I rebuilt my mod setup and everything should be exactly the same as when I last played it back in December but all my saves for that character (going back into November) is crashing on load no matter what I do.

The Wrye Mash repair all thing didn't do much for me.

Here's my load order if anyone wanna look. I also installed the Code Patch and 4GB patch along with some texture replacers. No graphical mods.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Beyond sane knolls posted:

What's the legal sitch on OpenMW? Bethesda have any reason/ability to shut it down?

Zero way, and that's part of the reason they're taking a while. Despite cracking some of the exe's formulas they refused to use any original bethesda code and went with their own solutions for equal functionality.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, OpenMW has lasted years on Bethesda's official forums while Morroblivion got told pretty quickly 'we don't care what you're doing, but we can't officially endorse it due to legal requirements and thus you can't talk about it on our forums'.

Not really that big a threat, either, if you want to play Morrowind you've still got to have the game's data files. Morroblivion required the same thing, but it was Bethesda's own engine the new files would be running on, thus, legal issues.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Cat Mattress posted:

What's the big deal with the stuff rotate mods? Other than preventing things from stacking in the inventory, what does it do that's so useful when you store your loot in containers?

So you can display your books on a bookshelf. I mean, what's the point of having a base full or rare artifacts and the whole library of books if you can't display them properly.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I'm getting a bunch of errors like "Cell "Ald Redaynia" not found for dialogue type Topic Info "EMPTY"" coming off Uvirith's Legacy 3.2. Anyone know what's up with this? I've just been ignoring them and the game seems fine, but I haven't really gotten into any of that mod's content yet.

I think this might have to do with Taddeus's "On The Rocks!" mod changing the name of Ald Redaynia to Ald Rédaynia or something like that. I'm not sure if the mod's been updated, but if you know how to use the CS you can fix it yourself.

The Protagonist posted:

The MGSO-installed file is corrupted rather than missing, which is why deleting and forcing the game to reload it from the BSA files fixes it.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 16, 2014

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

This is the one I'm using, and I'm getting a hard freeze any time I get a skill up.

-- Fixed it -- it was because I had the Attribute and Skill Uncappers checked in the Morrowind Code Patch. Apparently the two don't play well together.

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 16, 2014

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
So with BTB, GCD and MGSO installed, is it normal to pretty much get one-shot by most everything in the early stages of the mage guild quest line? I don't remember the base game having a brickwall difficulty curve like that. Doesn't make a difference if I set the difficulty slider way to the left either. I mean I can exploit pathing but I pretty much have to make sure I don't get hit once and hit them with 15+ firebolts. I'm assuming it's the buff to magic in general in BTB along with increased hp or something? I only have 40 hp so I'm sure that doesn't help much either.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm trying to find a mod that makes your equipped shield invisible while your weapon is sheathed. I remember having it a loooooong time ago, but can't find it anywhere (if it even exists). Can anyone help me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm trying to find a mod that makes your equipped shield invisible while your weapon is sheathed. I remember having it a loooooong time ago, but can't find it anywhere (if it even exists). Can anyone help me?

Not exactly the same thing but I'd guess it actually is what you're thinking of (automatically equips your best or last used shield when your weapon is out or casting a spell):
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=3926

Also recommend this one for people that want the same thing with a helmet:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=5171