Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got lucky when I was looking for a Shroomish that I wanted to raise up to a Breloom for catching wild Pokemon. It had its hidden ability, so the Breloom that it became ended up with Technician. COmbined with being a traded Pokemon, it leveled up quick and a moveset of False Swipe/Spore/Cut/ROck Smash also makes it good for getting around the game. Combined with something that flies and something that can use Surf and Waterfall, I have every terrain field move that I will ever need. It's nice that rocks pushed around with Strength stay in their holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Star Man posted:

I got lucky when I was looking for a Shroomish that I wanted to raise up to a Breloom for catching wild Pokemon. It had its hidden ability, so the Breloom that it became ended up with Technician. COmbined with being a traded Pokemon, it leveled up quick and a moveset of False Swipe/Spore/Cut/ROck Smash also makes it good for getting around the game. Combined with something that flies and something that can use Surf and Waterfall, I have every terrain field move that I will ever need. It's nice that rocks pushed around with Strength stay in their holes.

Hawluche learns Rock Smash, Cut, Fly, False Swipe and Strength. Lapras learns Rock Smash, Surf, Strength, and Waterfall. Bibarel learns Cut, Surf, Strength, Waterfall, and Rock Smash.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

nutranurse posted:

e: I just got wonder traded a nicknamed pokemon. This is the first time it's ever happened. People, nickname your pokes.
I nickname everything... but then again, I get too attached to my pokes to use Wonder Trade v:shobon:v.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paul.Power posted:

I nickname everything... but then again, I get too attached to my pokes to use Wonder Trade v:shobon:v.

That's why you go in knowing what you wanna Wonder Trade and give them offensive nicknames. If you ever see starters named Dong Quixote, that's me.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

That's why you go in knowing what you wanna Wonder Trade and give them offensive nicknames. If you ever see starters named Dong Quixote, that's me.

Its great that I can get things with names like pen.is mouth from wonder trade but we can't use the name Violet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The White Dragon posted:

:golfclap: That's a good one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Started breeding for my Milotic. I haven't bothered to gather any egg moves though. I guess I should do that even if I don't intend to use them, because of how egg moves can be re-taught this Gen.

Twitch update: Currently in Rock Tunnel (no flash). They were stuck on Route 9 for more than half a day. Route 9 has a bit where you have to walk along a 1-tile-wide ledge that's about 20 tiles in length, and if anyone presses down you have to go back to the start. So you can imagine they were there for a good long time. I gleaned from the chat channel that they had to get past that bit twice, because the first time they whited out at a trainer later on the route and got sent back to Cerulean. :laff: <--- imagine this is that laughing dog, gently caress searching for anything on the smilies page.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hammerite posted:

Twitch update: Currently in Rock Tunnel (no flash). They were stuck on Route 9 for more than half a day. Route 9 has a bit where you have to walk along a 1-tile-wide ledge that's about 20 tiles in length, and if anyone presses down you have to go back to the start. So you can imagine they were there for a good long time. I gleaned from the chat channel that they had to get past that bit twice, because the first time they whited out at a trainer later on the route and got sent back to Cerulean. :laff: <--- imagine this is that laughing dog, gently caress searching for anything on the smilies page.

They may have whited out, but it was in the most spectacular of ways.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And of course they skipped out on Pidgeotto learning Wing Attack.

I thought they were going to white out again but somehow all 30,000 minds managed to make the body escape rope out of Rock Tunnel and into the Pokemon Center. They'd be so hosed if that Charmeleon was knocked out and whited out again because of Pidgeotto's poison damage.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 16, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Star Man posted:

And of course they skipped out on Pidgeotto learning Wing Attack.

Wing Attack only has 35 BP in Gen I, so it's not that great. Probably would've been nice to finally have a non-Normal type move on something that isn't a Rattata though.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 16, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Strange Quark posted:

Wing Attack only has 35 BP in Gen I, so it's not that great. Probably would've nice to finally have a non-Normal type move on something that isn't a Rattata.

Holy poo poo I did not know that. You get a Pidgeotto all the way up to level 31 and all it gets is a move equal to loving Peck.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
Okay you bastards. I promised I would do another batch of Dittos so here I am.

I currently have 32 6IV Dittos for trade. If you're interested in details go my cross post in the trading thread which I will link so we don't clutter this thread up.

This most likely will be my last batch that i'm going to transfer.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574421&pagenumber=271#post425788944

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Alabaster White posted:

The existence of M-Aggron has actually made standard Aggron more viable in surprise factor; they expect a massive bulky wall and get recoil-free Banded Head Smashes in their face :getin:

That's actually a really awesome idea. My next UU team is totally going to have a Band Aggron and a Scarf Gardevoir on it. Next level mind games.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Star Man posted:

Holy poo poo I did not know that. You get a Pidgeotto all the way up to level 31 and all it gets is a move equal to loving Peck.

It also happens to be the only attack move the Pidgey line learned naturally in Gen 1 besides Gust and Quick Attack. We complain about how much worse some Pokemon are than others now, but even the worst have nothing on how horrific Gen 1 movesets tended to be.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Star Man posted:

I think naming my Scizor Wesley Snips was the greatest idea ever.

Galvantula named PeterSparker.

Totally the best name ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Classtoise posted:

Galvantula named PeterSparker.

Totally the best name ever.

One day there will be a Pokemon game that allows for at least sixteen characters for a nickname and I can call an Electivire "General Electric". Until then, I'll have to settle with Gen.Electric.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Main Paineframe posted:

It also happens to be the only attack move the Pidgey line learned naturally in Gen 1 besides Gust and Quick Attack. We complain about how much worse some Pokemon are than others now, but even the worst have nothing on how horrific Gen 1 movesets tended to be.

And that is why I have such a hard time taking the Gen 1 purist crowd seriously. It takes so much nostalgia to forget how horribly broken those games were.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Geostomp posted:

And that is why I have such a hard time taking the Gen 1 purist crowd seriously. It takes so much nostalgia to forget how horribly broken those games were.

Part of the insanity of generation 1 is just how the game was designed, and it was all by accident more than anything. Special attack and defense being one stat and how critical hit odds were calculated were probably the most egregious offenders.

And then you had goofy poo poo like Water Gun being a TM and loving Meowth can learn how to use it. I'm sure all those things were done to provide coverage, but god drat.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

That's being far too charitable. I suspect they didn't do any end-to-end playtesting, which would have revealed things like the disparity between the Water Gun TM and actually good ones like Ice Beam and Surf, or how ridiculous it was to get level 22-26 Zubat, Machop and Geodude in Victory Road.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Considering how poorly designed and programmed the Gen 1 games were it's amazing that the core idea shone through enough to allow the series to succeed.

Current Twitch status: they've just been sent back to the Route 9 Poke Centre by a Hiker for the umpteenth time

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Mega Charizard Y and Chlorophyll Venusaur with focus sash and growth make a really fun doubles team. Super fast Venusaur with instant boosted solar beams. :getin:

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
General consensus, what's the best shiny starter? I'm in a breeding mood.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

CherryCat posted:

General consensus, what's the best shiny starter? I'm in a breeding mood.

I'd go with Charizard. The black coloring really pops.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
During my Battle Maison Super Rotation run, this confused me for a bit.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Zoran posted:

During my Battle Maison Super Rotation run, this confused me for a bit.

Zoroark?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Exactly.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That actually sounds like a fun gimmick doubles team. Just two of the same lead every time.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

That actually sounds like a fun gimmick doubles team. Just two of the same lead every time.

That doesn't work because Lucario copies the last thing in your party. In this case the opponent lead with Zoroark and had Absol in reserve.

Also, looking at that picture reminds me that I didn't nickname anyone on my team. :ohdear:

Zoran fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 16, 2014

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
So, I just changed my clothes in-game, and as soon as it showed me what I now looked like, a whirlwind of musical notes appeared, which I've never seen before. Does anyone know what it means, and/or what the trigger is?

Zoran posted:

That doesn't work because Lucario copies the last thing in your party. In this case the opponent lead with Lucario and had Absol in reserve.

Also, looking at that picture reminds me that I didn't nickname anyone on my team. :ohdear:

You mean Zoroark, right?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So, I just changed my clothes in-game, and as soon as it showed me what I now looked like, a whirlwind of musical notes appeared, which I've never seen before. Does anyone know what it means, and/or what the trigger is?

You put on an outfit the game considers "colorful." This only matters for getting the Pagoro hat or whatever female characters get from that one NPC in Kiloude City.

quote:

You mean Zoroark, right?

Haha, yeah. I was battling a Lucario while I was writing that.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Zoran posted:

You put on an outfit the game considers "colorful." This only matters for getting the Pagoro hat or whatever female characters get from that one NPC in Kiloude City.

Don't you need to have an outfit consisting only of clothes with yellow/orange tags for that to happen? I've only got one (a pair of shoes).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Don't you need to have an outfit consisting only of clothes with yellow/orange tags for that to happen? I've only got one (a pair of shoes).

Oh yeah, I was thinking of the paint splatter effect. I think the musical notes might be for wearing the premium (black tag) items? I'm not sure.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

FPzero posted:

Nice! What was it?

Sawsbuck, spring form. Would have been nice I it was an ivysaur but screw it, it's my first shiny :allears:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

TwoSheds posted:

I'd go with Charizard. The black coloring really pops.

That or Greninja, for pretty much the same reason.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Chespin, I choose you!

I am 33 years old, why do I love this game so much??

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Keska posted:

I am 33 years old, why do I love this game so much??

Everybody loves pokemon, some people just don't want to admit it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ah some leaked screenshots from Flappy Chesp. Dodge pillars of Ice Beams/Flamethrowers !!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I think I give up on trying to get a team ready in this game. I underestimated how obnoxious it is trying to get perfect IV Pokemon, and it's pretty pointless when you have Pokeshowdown.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

If it was literally just getting five or six IVs I'd be okay with the amount of tedium required to make a team, but when you have to contend with egg moves and hidden abilities it's still not good enough, and anything which is a trade forward you can say goodbye to because the good breeding mechanics are new to Gen VI. The secret is getting someone (Kuhmondo is the wind beneath my wings) to trade you a perfect Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
I just caught my first shiny. It happened to be a shiny Trevenant and luckily I was stocked up on Quick Balls because I had nothing that could touch it without making it die.

• Locked thread